PDA

View Full Version : Altec Valencia Crossovers

CarlG
01-11-2006, 07:49 PM
First time poster but been lurking for awhile. I own a pair of 846A Valencias. I love the speakers but want to upgrade the crossovers or have someone rebuild the existing ones. I popped open one of the cans, and the inside is just a mess. I am weighing having someone pull apart (and rebuild) what is in the cans versus an upgraded crossover (from scratch).

I am having some difficulty finding information regarding a schematic for this speaker. The only schematic I have been able to find relates to the model 19, which used an 8 ohm driver (811) and crossed it over at 1200 hz. My Valencias have a 16 ohm driver with the 811.

I have read different things about where the Valencias were crossed over. Did the Valencias cross over the 416/811 combo at 800hz or 1200hz? Given the smaller size of the Valencia cabinet (and the inferior porting of the A model), would crossing over the combo at 1200 leave a hole? Anyone know of a schematic? What ohm model of the 416 did the Valencias use?

Appreciate any help. Much thanks in advance.

Carl.

Tom Loizeaux
01-11-2006, 08:42 PM
The stock Altec Valencias crossed over at 800Hz with a 12dB slope.
You should be able to find the schematic on line. It's a pretty simply crossover, so building one should be doable once you have the schematic. The inductors and caps available today should make a superior crossover.

Tom

CONVERGENCE
01-11-2006, 09:14 PM
Hi there,

If your looking for the Xo .

Model No: N800D input/output 16ohms.

You can ask perhaps at Altec Unofficial Forum.

http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=3729

spkrman57
01-12-2006, 07:12 AM
You can use online crossover calculater and rebuild them yourself using new parts. Better quality parts will make a difference.

I have also kept the 2nd order low-pass and changed the high-pass to a 3rd order and used HF attentuation/compensation network ala Pi speakers.

Altec model 19 crossover is a good one also, just don't remember the link to find it, but a search on the Altec website page should have it somewhere.

Ron

Wolf
01-12-2006, 08:41 AM
Hello,

here is the schematic of the N-800K, the 8-ohm version afaik.

There should be no problem to change to 16 ohms.

http://www.vallieur.de/Grafiken/Boxen/Scans/Altec%20N800-8K.jpg

I hope the pic is not too large, sorry for that.

More info may be found at www.vallieur.de (http://www.vallieur.de/) -> Wolf -> Lautsprecher

Rergards
Wolf

CarlG
01-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Thanks, everyone. Based on the great info, I am now inclined to have one built. Appreciate all of the help.

Carl.

CarlG
02-09-2006, 10:27 PM
Here's a new twist. In inspecting the inside of my Altecs, I noticed that they have mismatched drivers connected to the 811s. One 811 has a 806A - 16 ohm Altec driver, which I believe was the stock one, and the other 811 has a 807-8A 8 ohm driver that says "Symbiotik" on it. I seem to recall that the 807 may have been the driver first used with A7s?

I'm guessing that the somewhere in the speakers' history, one of the original drivers was damaged and replaced with a different, mismatched one. I'm also guestimating that mismatched drivers is not a good thing, especially for timbre matching??

Since I'm having new crossovers built, I can have them built for either an 8 or 16 ohm driver in the 811 slot. The question is, what are the differences between the 806 and 807 drivers? (which one should I keep and look for a match for??) Is either driver preferred over the other??

Appreciate any and all thoughts. Thanks.

Carl.

Wolf
02-10-2006, 02:52 AM
Hello Carl,

the difference between the 806 and 807 are the dias. May be the pre owner changed the body by using the original diaphragma.
You should disconnect the drivers and read the DC resistance. For 16 Ohm impedance it should be about 12 Ohm. If you read about 6 Ohm, you have a 8 Ohm (imp.) dia.
If you want the best result without any doubt, you should send both to GPA for a remagnetizing and reconing job. Than you receive drivers like new.
If you won't do that and you read a difference in DC resistance, you can open the back of the drivers carefully (3 screws). Now you see either a diaphragma or a black bakalite back. The black back is not nessecary for home use.
The dias should consist of aluminium; the Symbiotek has a orange plastic surround, the original dia doesn't (only alu).

Hope that helps
Wolf

CarlG
03-03-2006, 08:08 PM
Thank for the help, Wolf. Can someone remind me, what ohms are the 416 woofers supposed to be in my 846As - Valencias??

Carl.

CarlG
03-03-2006, 09:50 PM
Ok, I found the answer. My woofers are 416-16Z, which are 16 ohms.

Does anyone know if these woofers are similar are identical to the 416As? If not, what is the difference between the two? Finally, does anyone know of sensitivity/efficiency info for Altec mid and bass drivers (i.e. 416-16z and 806A)?

Carl.