PDA

View Full Version : Guidance?: UREI 809s

doodlebug
01-11-2006, 01:08 AM
With suggestions from many here, I have swapped the crossover caps on my first-series UREI 809s which helped more than I realized they would. I can now really get the crossover controls to respond to adjustments.

Not being one to leave well enough alone, I am not wondering if the diaphrams in the horns might be getting a bit old given that the speakers are approaching +/-25 years of age.

Here are the facts I have on them:

* Originally used in a well-known studio in the SF Bay area for at least 20 years of their life.

* Later used in a private recording studio by one a tech who purchased them from the studio.

* Only known work done to them:
- Refoamed the woofer cones (done by the tech whom I purchased them from)
- Replaced the crossover caps (done by me)

So, the question is: What is the ROI for investing in a set of replacement diaphrams given the age of the speakers?

Thanks for all comments, too.

Cheers,

David

Ian Mackenzie
01-11-2006, 01:32 AM
There's a fair chance Ken might know of or previously owned this system as he has been known to look under every rock at least once in the region. If you don't want them I am sure he can Help out :D

Joke.:rotfl:

Seriously, give Robert Hamel a pm, he owns Urei's and might have a few tips.

Ian

Robh3606
01-11-2006, 05:41 AM
The diaphrams in the 809's are titanium . I have never replaced an aged Ti diaphram to hear what the difference is. It couldn't hurt but I couldn't say what or how much an improvement your going to hear.

Rob:)

doodlebug
01-11-2006, 05:42 PM
The diaphrams in the 809's are titanium . I have never replaced an aged Ti diaphram to hear what the difference is. It couldn't hurt but I couldn't say what or how much an improvement your going to hear.

Rob:)

Hi Rob,

That's the question. The fact that you've never been motivated enough to replace them is an indication in itself. So, this is one of those 'leave well enough alone' sorts of things, then.

Thanks for the comments, too.

Cheers,

David

subwoof
01-11-2006, 06:46 PM
The 2416H is an older design...perhaps simply changing the entire driver with the current high-end pro version of the 1" - the 2407 that is used in the vertec series 3 ways.

there is a seller on ebay selling a number of these: item # 7380012515

new phasing plug, new magnet material, new diaphram design and new know-how.

even though it's 16 ohms, it still might balance OK since you have level adjustments and it is probably more eficient than the 2416.

:cheers:

sub

Zilch
01-11-2006, 08:24 PM
That seller is WAY off-base claiming 2407 to be a replacement for the general-purpose 2425/6.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83669#post83669