PDA

View Full Version : Resistor signatures

Ken Pachkowsky
01-08-2006, 02:11 PM
Has anyone ever compared the overall sound of different resistors. IE: Dale 1% to Holco 1% etc etc.

I have seen comparisons with caps but not resistors. I find it amazing that one can hear differences between them.

Ken

Ian Mackenzie
01-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Yep,

Cheap metal films sound bright..they are the worst. Also watch out for metal (magnetic leads).

Audio though steel is not the best! Mind you nor is low grade brass.

Ken Pachkowsky
01-08-2006, 02:32 PM
Yep,

Cheap metal films sound bright..they are the worst.

Absolutely hit the nail on the head. I compared Vishay/Dale 1/4 watt RN60D series 1% to TAW 1/4 watt 1% and the TAW's are much smoother and not as bright. It's not subtle and you confirmed it. Very intereting indeed.

In your opinion, who makes the nicest sounding resistors?

Ken

frank23
01-08-2006, 02:32 PM
I have been using [I think] cheap metal film resistors for years.

The metal films sound fine to me and through them I can hear the difference between my capacitors, drivers and horns.

Paper-in-oil-NOS-from-the-70's alsways wins with me.

But if Ian says metal film resistors are not too good I'll believe him, but I have not craved for another kind yet.

I have a set of Allen-Bradleys lying around, but I've never tried them.

I should be using the Allen-Bradley's but there is something with their resistive value that has put me off. They only come up to their value at a certain load. Below that, they are about 10% lower.

What resistors would you suggest?

frank

scott fitlin
01-08-2006, 02:55 PM
YOU can hear the difference between brands and types of resistors, even though everyone says Im crazy, now heres the thread that says Im not!

I tend to not like the cheapie metal films, and I dont know how keen I am on Dales but they are not as bright as the cheap blue metal films. I DO like Yageo 5% carbon films, and vintage AB carbon compositions for some applications! AB,s can be found on Ebay, and offer that 70,s sound some love!

Now for a REAL treat you might like to try some Riken Ohm Carbon Compositions, Japanese High End resistors for audio use, they make a difference. And If you want a really great carbon film, try Kiwame handmade carbon films, also Japanese! They are available from www.partsconnexion.com (http://www.partsconnexion.com/), and they do sound special! Try some and hear it for yourself!

johnaec
01-08-2006, 03:16 PM
I take it we're talking about low-power resistors here, such as would be used in the circuitry of electronic components such as amps, active crossovers, etc.? What about audible effects in the different types of high-power resistors used in passive crossovers? I've been told there can be negative effects here, too(something to do with inductance, so possibly electronic, not sonic?). This came up recently while cobbling together leveling circuitry for use with some 3110A's I have, and I'm still not sure what the potential negative effects might be from using less than optimal resistors.

John

Ken Pachkowsky
01-08-2006, 03:26 PM
YOU can hear the difference between brands and types of resistors, even though everyone says Im crazy, now heres the thread that says Im not!

I tend to not like the cheapie metal films, and I dont know how keen I am on Dales but they are not as bright as the cheap blue metal films. I DO like Yageo 5% carbon films, and vintage AB carbon compositions for some applications! AB,s can be found on Ebay, and offer that 70,s sound some love!

Now for a REAL treat you might like to try some Riken Ohm Carbon Compositions, Japanese High End resistors for audio use, they make a difference. And If you want a really great carbon film, try Kiwame handmade carbon films, also Japanese! They are available from www.partsconnexion.com (http://www.partsconnexion.com/), and they do sound special! Try some and hear it for yourself!

Interesting read Scott. You and Ian have me interested in experimenting further. The problem is finding the values needed and the budget. Wow, those babies can add up fast. It's a never ending cycle of learning. I read these are some of the creme de la creme of resistors. Very neutral apparently. These can run 50.00 each. I promise I won't be trying these.
http://www.vishay.com/docs/63002/s102tf.pdf

Ken Pachkowsky
01-08-2006, 03:28 PM
I take it we're talking about low-power resistors here, such as would be used in the circuitry of electronic components such as amps, active crossovers, etc.? John

Yes, thats what we are talking about but feel free to engage in all resistor requirments.

Could be an interesting and educational thread. Heck it already has been.

stevem
01-08-2006, 03:34 PM
For power resistors I always used the wire wound cement type in the highest power rating I could find. I like the capacitors and resistors from Bennic (http://www.bennic.com.tw/en/index.asp). They sound good and are inexpensive.

A lot of people like the Mills non-inductive power resistors. They do sound different from the cement types (warmer and more "golden" sound). I never cared for the flavor, but you may like it a lot.

Ian Mackenzie
01-08-2006, 03:51 PM
Some not all metal films are bad. Dales..the brown ones are better and a league above the stuff I was referring to. And long as you steer clear of those really cheap films you are doing okay. Its the metal end caps and steel leads that are the problem.

The others like the carbon films and tantalums have a classic sound for vintage audio and guitar amps. I have never tried Caddocks or the exe Vishays. The blue Panasonic power films in 1 - 3 watt range are excellent value for money (Digikey)

For some reason resisters are a lot more picky in valve equipment.

Unfortunately a lot of emphasis put on the passives...and it becomes hype.
Ever compared two valves, fets and transisters.....THEY really do change the sound.

Ian

Ken Pachkowsky
01-08-2006, 03:54 PM
Let me explain how this unintended experiment came about.

I had the filter boards for my HRX crossover pulled and laying on the carpet beside me when low and behold my little Pomeranian snuck up behind me. I got up to reach for a screw driver and tripped over him. Down my left foot went on the left channel filter board. Not only did I cut the hell out of my foot, I broke the filter board into 3 pieces and cracked the muting daughter board as well.

You can imagine my horror. All I could see was a couple of thousand dollar replacement having to be ordered from Westlake. With a quickly ordered trace repair kit including epoxy, I have been able to repair the boards. Unfortunately some of the resistors were broken in the accident so I replaced them with some 1% Dales I had kicking around. I had replaced about 12 resistors and noticed a difference in the upper frequency response on that channel. After isolating the problem to that board by switching filter boards left and right, I made the same changes to the other board. That confirmed the resistors made a difference. I will add that the resistors are of the exact same values and were tested one at a time for matching.

The true moral of the story, don't lay things on the floor.

Ken

Ken Pachkowsky
01-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Some not all metal films are bad. Dales..the brown ones are better and a league above the stuff I was referring to.
The blue Panasonic power films in 1 - 3 watt range are excellent value for money (Digikey)
Ian

I used the Dale brown 1% and also have a wack of the Panasonics you mention, but only in 1/8 watt and for the filters I needed 1/4 watt.

Ken