PDA

View Full Version : Inside W series 2380 horn box

maxwedge
01-07-2006, 12:28 PM
I've been meaning to ask this for a long time:blah: but I got these boxs a few years back and have been running them as is. They have a W series label on the side (looks official) and contain 2380 horns and 2445J drivers. They came from Canada so maybe that explains the French in the label.

My question is regarding the electronics on the inside back pannel. What is it? Passive x-over, dc protection or CD horn eq? I have no idea. :p

I run active crossovers so I'm wondering if I should by-pass it.
Another related question: How do you guy's protect you HF drivers from DC when running active crossovers. I haven't paid much attention to this and may be I should.:banghead:

Here's a pic of the box and the back pannel wiring.

John
01-07-2006, 08:00 PM
Well looks to be a basic xover there, 3 caps +2 resisters? But that is a guess:blink:

maxwedge
01-07-2006, 08:53 PM
Yeah I think your right.:o: My guess is hi pass 800hz but I don't know the value of those caps. And here I've been running an active x-over into an amp and then back into a passive! LOL!!:banghead: It sounds ok though.:)

03-11-2006, 04:54 PM
Yeah I think your right.:o: My guess is hi pass 800hz but I don't know the value of those caps. And here I've been running an active x-over into an amp and then back into a passive! LOL!!:banghead: It sounds ok though.:)

Looks like a horn protection circuit to me, I'm guessing the driver is 16 ohms. So 80 ohms for a DC path and caps to hi-pass very near horn cutoff. As long as the active XO is a little higher, they should not be noticable, until your amp starts putting out DC!:banghead: