PDA

View Full Version : What Was I Looking At? 15"Altec

2pair
01-05-2006, 04:25 AM
Hello all...
I was in a music shop the other day with my daughter looking at sheet music, when out of the corner of my eye I saw something interesting...:uhmmmm:

I wandered over to a huge black box about the size of a large fridge., but not quite so tall. And a 15" driver in it. Looking at the tag, all it said was 15" Altec $250 (canadian).
I got all excited and started thinking about a subwoofer.... :bouncy: My daughter stopped me however. I can't stop thinking about it though.

A little more detail: the driver had the pleated type surround, Aluminum dust cover, about 1 1/2" to 2" wide. It seemed in good shape, no tears or stains. No crossover that I could see, just terminals. Large port in front, about 2" by 12" rectangle, not sure if it was ducted. I dont know if itwas used for reenforcment or for a bass guitar or what... The cab is pretty fugly though... but its not the cab I'm interested in.

I'm going to go back today I think and bring a cam, if I dont just buy it and figure it out later, I'll post some pics of it to get more opinions of what this thing might be. And whether it will be suitable to my 'plans'. Hopefully they will let me open it up to get a model number... :dont-know What model# do I want it to be?

What I need to know from youse, as best as you can tell from my description, is would this be a good sub to go with L-110's? I'll have even more questions if I get this, like crossover/ lowpass advise and power requirements, etc....

Thanks in advance for the opinions....

spkrman57
01-05-2006, 04:58 AM
Music/sound reinforment driver.

You might be better off letting this one go, for hi-fi use you might be disappointed.

It is more likely a music producer, not reproducer!

Just my 2 cents worth!

Ron

2pair
01-05-2006, 05:03 AM
Thats exactly the kinda advise I'm looking for.... Thanks!
...like I said I'll try for some pics later today.

jbl_man_uk
01-05-2006, 09:21 AM
...15 inches,Pleated surround and Aluminium dust cap,sounds like it could be an Altec 421-8a,which is a guitar driver,so agreed,not the best choice for a sub-woofer,and to be honest,of no real value anyway.(driver maybe $50 or $70 if in good working order)

2pair
01-05-2006, 09:42 AM
I went back with a camera and stuck my hand in the port and took a few pics. The model was 418-8H series II. So no good to me right? It even says on it 'musical intrument speaker'

OH WELL.... The search for treasure continues.

If anyone in Winnipeg is interested its at Encore Music, on portage.

spkrman57
01-05-2006, 10:58 AM
Altec developed several versions of this model for different types of guitar playing.

Eff: 103db
Power handling: 150 watt
fs: approx 45hz to 50hz

This is off the top of my head, JBL site map will have more details!

Ron

jbl_man_uk
01-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Thats correct Ron,but funnily enough,they did put this driver in the 816c horn cabinet,and marketed in the late 1970`s as a general purpose disco/PA cabinet with a seperate horn placed on top...there wasnt much was much output below 60hz tho.,i know cos i had a pair back then!

Ian.London UK

spkrman57
01-07-2006, 01:42 PM
Not recommeded for Bass guitar duty!

Ron