PDA

View Full Version : new revenue source for Lansing Heritage?

glen
01-04-2006, 04:14 PM
How about asking ebay sellers who use links to, or information from, the Lansing Heritage Library in their auctions to make a $1-$2 donation per link?

Seems like most anytime I search for Altec or JBL there's usually some auctions with links to the library (9 auctions today).

Could just send email to the buyer & seller after the auction asking them to make a small donation if the site was helpful in the transaction.

I wonder how many folks first found the site through ebay auctions, trying to find info on items they were buying or selling?

4313B
01-04-2006, 04:52 PM
I agree.

norealtalent
01-04-2006, 05:36 PM
Everybody PLEASE keep in mind this is whats going through my head, this is my experience and opinion ONLY and in the long run doesn't mean squat!
How about we charge any LH member a flat 1-2% fee everytime they win a JBL item on ebay? Or any item they researched through this forum? Sounds absurd doesn't it?
Yesterday I was considering the connection of my JBL knowledge, which led to purchases, which led to experiences, which led to sales of old equipment to purchase 3B (bigger, better, badder) speakers and equipment, which ultimately put me where I am today with the knowledge and equipment I have today. I owe a HUGE piece of that to the information being available in this library as well as being motivated enough to get off my ass and do whatever it takes to get what I want instead of sitting around pissing and moaning because you guys had better stuff than me. It provided me the tools I needed to build a killer system for myself. That is why I have what I have today. I never dreamed it'd turn into a part time life!!! It wasn't until recently that I actually participated in the forums. For one, I thought you guys were a bunch of lunatics, which I now realize is true but also realize that no one here is any more lunacized than I, well, maybe a couple. For two, I didn't want to be a speaker lunatic, it just happened!!!:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I have never posted an item for sale here, that is not why I'm here, and I don't want anybody to think otherwise. I have given VERY GREAT deals to some members, I've also been used by a few. I link to these pages often and am very grateful for them being availale in that manner. I have no problem with a membership contribution but if this place turns into a fee fest like ebay has, EVERYTHING this site was ever intended to be will be destroyed in the process. Just my opinion...:bouncy:

johnaec
01-04-2006, 05:46 PM
While an interesting concept, I think it would be pretty much unworkable and unenforceable. If someone from here lists something on eBay with a link to here to augment their descriptions and it helps sell their items, hopefully they'll repay that help with a donation.

What I think is a better option would be to have certain areas accessible only to paid members - I'm thinking maybe $20/year. Many forums I belong to follow this format. Either having the Technical Help forum or Tech Docs private for members only would be along the lines I'm thinking.

John

norealtalent
01-04-2006, 05:55 PM
I like the idea John. I think $20 is extremely minimal. I think a membership privelage contribution at sign up would be much easier to maintain and as someone else mentioned, it would probably be very helpful in thwarting the riff raff( present company excepted, of course.) :applaud:

edgewound
01-04-2006, 07:17 PM
While having a membership fee might generate revenueit might also scare alot of people off. I recently donated $25.00 from my PayPal account that has become sort of "mad money" for me from eBay transactions and other. Once you start to charge for membership, all of a sudden it becomes a business....and then taxes...more complex record keeping, etc. I don't know how this place is set up organizationally....but that might be cause for concern by charging membership fees...and then liability issues...intellectual property issues....copyrights....royalties....on and on...oh yeah....hackers trying to break in for fun.....Voluntary contributions might be the right track to stay on.

boputnam
01-04-2006, 07:30 PM
Voluntary contributions might be the right track to stay on.:yes:

Charlie4350
01-04-2006, 07:57 PM
It would quit feeling good to give a little. :)

kingjames
01-04-2006, 10:15 PM
4 days after I joined, I donated a small amount and felt damn good about it. If that's all it takes to keep this place going then it's a small amount indeed. Though I seek no knowledge and have no desire to build my own systems I do come here everyday and spend hours just reading what goes on. It is a priviledge to belong to this site, it is a honor to be accepted by the members of this site and it is (our) responsibility to keep it going no matter what it takes. If they want to link to this site it is only because it is the frontrunner and most respected site dealing with JBL products anywhere. I haven't been here long and take no credit for what this place is today,but look at what we got here, we are the talk of the net.That's an accopmlishment, most people putting links in their ad's to this place is a compliment and shouldn't in itself become just another ad for donation's . I think to charge a mandatory fee would kill the whole concept of what this forum is all about.This forum is about information and when we start taxing information we are all going to be in big trouble.Maybe we can start raffles or something like that for member's only,some gimmick that if everyone contributed wouldn't cost much but reward the winner hansomely. I truly believe that members who feel at home here will donate on their own and feel good about it and maybe we ought to concentrate on pulling those kind of members to this site.What makes this site great is it's members and all the information it's member's have,let's not put a price tag on that. Remember the commercial? A pair of JBL L100 $426.00 A Pair, JBL 250Ti's $2000.00 a Pair, Info on Lansing Hertiage site, PRICELESS!
Corny I know, But had to say it.Just my thoughts!:barf:

glen
01-05-2006, 01:01 AM
Maybe we can start raffles or something like that...

Raffles
The L100 raffle to raise money for Project May was a fun way to give,
but it did rely heavily on the generosity and hard work of just a few great members.
If the effort can be spread around more fairly maybe there could be a regular (annual?) raffle.

Rewards
One time I gave a chunk of change when a particular set of plans showed up on the site.
Members could offer rewards to be donated to Lansing Heritage if something obscure they're looking for gets scanned and posted.

Garage Sale
I've seen where a few members have "sold" equipment here by asking the recipient to make a donation to the site. Your old stuff goes to a good home and benefits the site.

Thankyou Donations
Donate to the site in another member's name to honor their intellectual contribution. Several members have already done this but it might be more popular if it was a little more formalized.

glen
01-05-2006, 01:05 AM
This forum is about information and when we start taxing information we are all going to be in big trouble.

When you put it that way I have to agree.http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon14.gif

I would hate it if anything stifled the vital exchange of information on this website.http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon13.gif

Nightbrace
02-15-2006, 06:51 PM
How about charging people for selling things here, similiar to AudioGon?