PDA

View Full Version : Can I interchange like size drivers

JBLRaiser
01-02-2006, 01:26 PM
I have a couple of sets of L100 cabinets, without all the drivers, I bought last week. I want to replace the woofers, mids, tweeters and I need to know what my limitations are( i.e. what 12" drivers will work) for filling these needs using the existing crossovers/wiring.

speakerdave
01-02-2006, 01:37 PM
Best to use exactly the same drivers. That shouldn't be difficult since the dismantling of L100's and selling their parts on ebay continues unabated. However, you will probably end up spending more money than you would buying a complete set, which is why the dismantling occurs.

David

Anthony L100
01-02-2006, 03:55 PM
I have a couple of sets of L100 cabinets, without all the drivers, I bought last week. I want to replace the woofers, mids, tweeters and I need to know what my limitations are( i.e. what 12" drivers will work) for filling these needs using the existing crossovers/wiring.

Hi JBLRaiser, I have played around with these cabs variously and found the 122A (a la L166) to work very well, much flatter and deeper than the 123A. However you would need the L166 crossovers to go with them, along with the LE5-8 mids. As they are plentiful in the US, how about a pair of 035Ti tweeters which would require a slight baffle mod? Below is a pic of my "test" cabs for these size drivers which may change on a weekly basis! Currently they contain
122A/LE5-8/077 and L65 crossover, so a Jubal in a Century box. Personally I prefer the bass response of the 122A in this size box to that of the Jubal box, but that's just my opinion. If you don't want to mess with the crossovers, then stick with Dave's suggestion. Good luck. PS. I bet the old hands were talking about these mods 20+ years agohttp://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/bouncy.gif

jbl_man_uk
01-03-2006, 03:20 AM
Sorry Anthony,i just noticed the photo of "Oscar the cone destroyer". did make me laugh! :applaud:

Ian.