PDA

View Full Version : New Installation Pics

toddalin
12-31-2005, 12:49 PM
The 130A's in the L200 cabinets:

http://www.largescaleonline.com/eimages/lsolpics/Team_Member_Pics/toddalin/speaker2.jpg

Have now been replaced with the 2205's reconed as 2235's:

http://www.largescaleonline.com/eimages/lsolpics/Team_Member_Pics/toddalin/L200-2235.jpg

Meanwhile, the two 130A's in the center cabinet (one for center channel duties and the other a subwoofer):

http://www.largescaleonline.com/eimages/lsolpics/Team_Member_Pics/toddalin/speaker4.jpg

Have been replaced with a 2205 reconed as a 2235 for the center channel, and a W15GTI for the sub.

http://www.largescaleonline.com/eimages/lsolpics/Team_Member_Pics/toddalin/center-2235-w15gti.jpg

Note that the lettering on the W15GTI was painted out and matches well with the unpainted cone. (Certainly better than the 2235!;) ) I actually had to make 3/8" standoffs to keep the grill cloth from contacting the W15GTI surround.

Initial impression is that the 2235 is considerably more efficient than the W15 GTI..., but it is running at 8 ohms and the W15 is at 12 ohms. The W15GTI actually seems to have more overtones. Perhaps it has a more extended high frequency response, but more testing is in order to determine this. (Maybe it would better blend to a horn at 1+kHz.) I DO NEED A BIGGER SUB AMP (currently 150 Watts @ 8 ohms) with a higher sensitivity to really use this beast!

I have a switch on back of the cabinet that feeds both woofers off the sub amp. When both speakers are used together as a sub... (at 5 ohms), look out!

I did close mic testing on the 130A's before removing them. Next week I'll do the same on these. It will be interesting to see how the 2235/W15GTI compare.

glen
12-31-2005, 03:31 PM
Beautiful woofers ready to shake things up.

Seems a little unusual to have two different woofers with different impedances, specs, etc. sharing a cabinet. Did you do any computer simulation of the two woofers sharing the center cabinet? Are they in separate cavities or sharing a single space?

Boy do they look great,
Makes me wanna go turn something up somewhere!

Now all you need is a project for a bunch 130A's

toddalin
12-31-2005, 06:14 PM
Beautiful woofers ready to shake things up.

Seems a little unusual to have two different woofers with different impedances, specs, etc. sharing a cabinet. Did you do any computer simulation of the two woofers sharing the center cabinet? Are they in separate cavities or sharing a single space?

Boy do they look great,
Makes me wanna go turn something up somewhere!

Now all you need is a project for a bunch 130A's

The two woofers are each in a separate 4 cu ft enclosures. They port out the baffleboard and to a central 2 cu ft chamber that also ports out through the baffeboard. All five ports are 4" dia x 9.5" long.

majick47
12-31-2005, 08:03 PM
toddallin your doing a great job with those L200 and you inspired me to get going on a project I'v been putting off with converting a pair of L200b into subwoofers. Finished the ports today according to Zilches calculations, either 2235h or 136a with 2235h cones for the woofers. Have to block the LE85 ports and spiffy up the cabinets and I'll be in buisness. Have a Sumo Delilah for the crossover, supposed to be a BX63a clone. A pair of ADCOM 565 mono amps will be powering the subs with 300 watts per side. If all goes well they should equal a pair of B380.

andresohc
01-01-2006, 11:33 AM
[QUOTE=toddalin]and the W15 is at 12 ohms. QUOTE]
If you leave the jumpers on the W15GTi terminals, and take the leads of each side of the woofer it should be running at 3 ohms. Are you hooking them in series?

toddalin
01-01-2006, 12:33 PM
[QUOTE=toddalin]and the W15 is at 12 ohms. QUOTE]
If you leave the jumpers on the W15GTi terminals, and take the leads of each side of the woofer it should be running at 3 ohms. Are you hooking them in series?

Yes, I rewired it for series at 12 ohms. I don't think that my amp would be real happy pushing a 3 ohm load (though there is an 8 - 4 ohm switch on back). If I were then to flip the rear switch on my center cabinet to put both speakers in parallel (2.2 ohms), I think the amp could fry or at least pop a fuse.

Actually, this amp has been giving me some problems anyway, and I'm thinking of changing it out for something with more power. Anyone have a nice used power amp they want to part with???

I've been really happy with my Sunfire sub, and was thinking of picking up a used Carver Magnetic field effect amp. These are compact and have a low current draw, unless they are really working hard. Most can be run in mono and some in mono will do over 800 watts into 12 ohms. If I flip the rear switch on the speaker cabinet to put the W15/2235 in parallel (5 ohms), I could easily push over 1,000 watts with one of these with no ill effects.

andresohc
01-01-2006, 06:19 PM
If you need to borrow some SR amps in the interim, let me know. I have a couple CREST and older Crowns I could spare for a couple of months until you hook up with your knew ones. The Crest is good down low. PM me if interested