PDA

View Full Version : LE85 replacement foam

mdlupke
12-29-2005, 10:32 PM
Purchased a pair of LE85 compression drivers on eBay, and one sustained a major whack in shipping, enough to snap the 4 bolts and leave the driver in two pieces. Am evaluating any other damage, but since it was open anyway, noticed that the foam liner had completely disintegrated. Am wondering what is used as foam replacement for the dark brown powder that used to be foam behind the diaphragm. And a source.

Thanks,
MDLupke

Uncle Paul
12-29-2005, 10:55 PM
I'd be interested, too. Also have you been able to find the replacement bolts? All the bolts I can find have heads too large to fit in the recesses.

Zilch
12-30-2005, 01:03 AM
Screws are #8-32 X 1-1/2" Fillister head in mine.

Spec on the heads is 0.270" dia. by 0.156" high, according to McMaster-Carr catalog. $8.29/100 in stainless slotted there. Confirm by measuring your counterbores.

My reconer says JBL originally used wool felt, not foam, and that's what he uses to replace it. Indeed, one of mine has 1/8" thick felt under the deteriorated 1/4" thick tan-colored foam.

Even though the original diameter is 4-1/2", for convenience, I'd go with 4" diameter adhesive-back felt discs from the same source, $2.97 each in 1/4" thick, or $4.37 for 3/8" thick, and never again worry about deteriorating foam in them.

All cheaper locally, most likely....