PDA

View Full Version : magnet strength or flux

jbl4ever
12-29-2005, 06:47 PM
I am getting ready to recone 4- K110's to 2122H for 4344 project. The K110's still have great working cones and sound good. I just dont want to recone and find I should have had the magnets reenergized. These kits are expensive. So if the FS and DCR are close to spec its safe to say their O.K. What should be the tolerance plus or minus 5% or 10% of stated values:blink: Thanks

4313B
12-29-2005, 07:12 PM
DCR has nothing to do with it. I'd get them recharged before sticking any money into them. Great Plains still does it for $10 or $15 per driver. It would probably cost you that much just to have their strength tested by someone.

http://greatplainsaudio.com/

spkrman57
12-30-2005, 07:18 AM
Does a driver have to have the cone assembly removed for recharging?

Ron

Mr. Widget
12-30-2005, 10:33 AM
Does a driver have to have the cone assembly removed for recharging?No.

You could have them reconed and then recharged... in any case recharging is typically a good idea when dealing with vintage alnico drivers.

Widget

toddalin
12-30-2005, 11:06 AM
No.

You could have them reconed and then recharged... in any case recharging is typically a good idea when dealing with vintage alnico drivers.

Widget

When I just had three 2205s reconed as 2235s I had them recharged. OCS charges $25 each if you are having them reconed, but $45 just for recharge. I believe that JBL quotes $27 on their price list.

The gentleman at OCS quoted me some figure of how much percentage of flux is lost from alnico magnets on a yearly basis, whether they are used or not. He estimated that based on the age of 2205C's the magnets could have lost as much as 45% flux. Who knows.:blink:

Steve Schell
12-30-2005, 11:40 AM
Jbl4ever, are you located in southern California? If so, I would be happy to check the gap flux of your drivers with my gaussmeter.

John
12-30-2005, 11:50 AM
Hi Steve Can you post a picture of this device? :bouncy:

jbl4ever
12-30-2005, 03:52 PM
Jbl4ever, are you located in southern California? If so, I would be happy to check the gap flux of your drivers with my gaussmeter.Thanks so much Steve, wish I lived in sunny Cal, as I live in IL. So many great people out their on this forum. I am sure if I lived their we all would be excellent friends:blah: Let me know please what one is a good unit and I will try to purchase one. Their is about 150 drivers in alnico and I am going to start building speakers again. HAPPY NEW YEAR to you Steve and all the great people
on this site. Its music and drinking time:) :barf: