PDA

View Full Version : Grille Glue

4313B
04-30-2003, 05:05 AM
Hello,

In a previous forum someone posted an alternative to hot melt glue for doing grilles. Does anyone remember what it was? I think they said it could be picked up at Michael's. I would like to give it a try.

Tom Loizeaux
04-30-2003, 05:48 AM
Also, I notice that JBL didn't fold over the corners when putting the fabric on their grille frames, but rather simply streched it around the corners. This is true at least with the later studio monitor type cloth. Does anyone have experience re-covering grille frames this way?
Thanks,

Tom

boputnam
04-30-2003, 07:31 AM
I've used a real simple method - with Elmer's or in some instances similar but higher strength wood glue. Likely similar to your(s) approach. Has worked well on repairs and replacements.

Glue the frame and pull the fabric over, and place 2-inch wide, 1/4-inch lath on-top, and hand-clamp (tough, heavy spring dudes). Then, pull the cloth tight, from under the lath, while easing the clamp pressure. Same around corners, where two lath are end-to-end. Just snug the cloth, without any folding.

Dry overnight. Remove lath (roll toward the center of the grill, ease with putty knife if stuck), and trim the edges of the cloth.

Rolf
04-30-2003, 12:10 PM
Hi.

I used for my 4333A's to attach fabric/grill a standard (don't know the exact english word) a contact glue. witch you put on both sides, wait until you can touch it without get glue on your fingers, and then attach them.

BE CAREFUL! You only got one chance!

Rolf

jblwolf
04-30-2003, 02:16 PM
I spoke to jbl tech years ago and was told they used a product that is made by 3M,you can buy the same contact adhesive over the counter in spray form,3m super 77,its very strong stuff and a little tricky to work with,but after using it a few times I got the hang of it,I have grills that I used it on and 15 years later it still holding up,the last can I got was at michael's for$12.00,and yes,you can strech the grill cloth aroung the frame with this stuff,hope this helps

Earl K
04-30-2003, 04:00 PM
Hi
I've also bought that 3M stuff at Home Depot . It comes in 2 if not 3 adhesive strengths. I've use it to glue velcro strips to acoustic foam panels. It also works in gluing these panels directly to "Gatorboard" or foam-core to make light-weight hanging baffle boards .

regards <. Earl K

Mr. Widget
05-01-2003, 02:04 AM
" I've also bought that 3M stuff at Home Depot . It comes in 2 if not 3 adhesive strengths."

Actually the other glues numbered 79 and 80 etc. are part of a complete line of spray glues. They are not exactly variations of Super 77. I would recommend that you only use Super 77 for grill cloth and I am very brand loyal when it comes to glues. I would not try a generic as you don't know what it will do down the road.

When using Super 77 I always spray it in my spray booth as a fine mist of the glue will settle everywhere in the room. Assuming you don't have access to a spray booth use it out doors on a calm day. When using it on fabric do a couple of light coats. A heavy coat will soak through and leave a visible stain in the fabric that will not come out.

PS. If you do spray it indoors and it settles on something of value, Pledge spray wax will dissolve it and clean off the surface, if it is a surface that Pledge won't mess up.

MikeM
05-06-2003, 06:22 AM
Yes A Very nice glue to work with is a product called fabric tact Available from fabric stores.This is my favorite glue and here is why. It allows tacking and retacking great for streching grill cloths.
If you use it sparingly it will not penitrate thru material only if you want it to. It is intended for fabric to fabric mending then becoming fully washable after curred. Great stuff and not cheap. I used a 4 oz bottle for most jobs. This is the stuff. Ive built replacement grills for people that thought they were factory originals

4313B
05-06-2003, 06:50 AM
That's what I was looking for Mike! I want to give that a try.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions :)

martinleewin
06-29-2003, 06:52 PM
Thanx for the Pledge tip, Mr. Widget. I use 3M 77 for a lot of other craft work and only mask the workpiece. The stuff mists geometrically but my workbench just absorbs it. Now I can clean tools, and especially, fingers. And they will have a lovely lemony smell too.

Martin W.

johnhb
07-06-2003, 08:19 AM
On all my grills I use a router mounted under a bench with a 1/8th inch bit and router a groove about 1/4 inch in from the back edge on the back of the grill. I then attach the grill cloth with rubber screen spline. It is easy and fast and the cloth can be replaced quickly.

MikeM
07-06-2003, 12:13 PM
Thats a good idea! will try that.