PDA

View Full Version : What if anything will happen?

kingjames
12-21-2005, 11:37 AM
On that huge Pioneer sx1250 I told you I got at a garage sale has 3 sets of speaker hookups.This is what I want to do, Speaker A-Sov II'S 8ohm Speaker-B 4425's 8ohm and Speaker-C L5's 4ohm. Will I blow the amp up,am I asking for trouble? What are your recommendations? You all understand the addiction and this is why I must run 3 sets of JBL'S on this thing. I have to do it,there is no other way but only if I don't damage this receiver.Let me know your thoughts and thanks.

Note...Always remember that there is no such thing as a small JBL;)

Don C
12-21-2005, 12:25 PM
I think that you would be OK with the Sovreigns and the 4425s at the same time, but I'd only run the L-5s by themselves, or with another amp.
On that huge Pioneer sx1250 I told you I got at a garage sale has 3 sets of speaker hookups.This is what I want to do, Speaker A-Sov II'S 8ohm Speaker-B 4425's 8ohm and Speaker-C L5's 4ohm. Will I blow the amp up,am I asking for trouble? What are your recommendations? You all understand the addiction and this is why I must run 3 sets of JBL'S on this thing. I have to do it,there is no other way but only if I don't damage this receiver.Let me know your thoughts and thanks.

Note...Always remember that there is no such thing as a small JBL;)

Zilch
12-21-2005, 12:37 PM
I'll say it again: if you're intending to run several sets of speakers in the same listening space playing the same program material concurrently, you're just creating a sonic mess of phase interference.

More is definitely NOT better in this case.

If you're running two systems off the same receiver, but the speakers are located in different rooms, obey the guidelines stated for your receiver, which typically say two 8-Ohm systems are the maximum load.

kingjames
12-21-2005, 12:44 PM
I knew you all were going to say that. But your all right. I will put the L5's in my bedroom and run them by themselves. I guess I already knew I couldn't do it.hey' didn't hurt to ask. Thanks for your input.

edgewound
12-21-2005, 01:04 PM
Kingjames....

If you want to run 2 sets of your speakers in the same room...do it...it's yours.

Someone elses "sonic mess" might be your sonic nirvanha. Home theaters all around the world are run with mismatched speakers for front and surround...but it's not illegal. I'll agree that's it's not the best practice for "critical listening"...but at the end of the day...they're still your speakers and your room. Enjoy them however you will. Different strokes, different folks. Don't run more than two pair of 8 ohm at a time....and don't push the receiver too hard, or the system will tell you that's illegal...then suffer the death penalty.;)

Merry Christmas.

Zilch
12-21-2005, 01:45 PM
Home theaters all around the world are run with mismatched speakers for front and surround...but it's not illegal.It's not insignificant, however, that surround speakers in home theaters around the world are not playing the same program material as the mains.

Mismatching is not the issue.

The principle is fundamental.

Anyone can violate it, as they please, of course, but it's important to understand and appreciate the consequences.

speakerdave
12-21-2005, 02:03 PM
James,

You have one set of speakers, the sov II's that will deliver all of the clean spl's your receiver can provide. You will not gain anything but distortion and (as Mr Z. says) confusion in the sound field by playing a second set simultaneously, although you will probably find some relief in switching to the 4425's now and then.

David

Titanium Dome
12-21-2005, 02:12 PM
The L5 is rated at 6 Ohms (nominal) rather than 4 Ohms.

edgewound
12-21-2005, 02:28 PM
It's not insignificant, however, that surround speakers in home theaters around the world are not playing the same program material as the mains.

Mismatching is not the issue.

The principle is fundamental.

Anyone can violate it, as they please, of course, but it's important to understand and appreciate the consequences.

Indeed...mismatching does seem to be the issue....or you wouldn't be arguing if all 4 speakers in the room matched....well....OTOH, maybe you would:D
Depending on the systems settings for music playback...they are sharing the same program. But time and again, someone here wants to impose "rules" on a members' visceral thrill of being surrounded by JBL greatness in the same space. Starts to feel like the "Thought Police" are on patrol. To "violate" the principals and it's consecquences sends shivers down my spine.

Oh...Merry Christmas.

speakerdave
12-21-2005, 02:42 PM
. . . . What are your recommendations? . . . . Let me know your thoughts . . . .

Did anybody miss this part of the original post?

David

edgewound
12-21-2005, 02:48 PM
Did anybody miss this part of the original post?

David

I didn't miss anything....and I gave my thoughts.

Merry Christmas.

4313B
12-22-2005, 02:02 AM
But time and again, someone here wants to impose "rules" on a members' visceral thrill of being surrounded by JBL greatness in the same space. Starts to feel like the "Thought Police" are on patrol. To "violate" the principals and it's consecquences sends shivers down my spine.It's just smack talk dude. I don't think anyone really cares. At least I hope they don't. :p

chad
12-22-2005, 04:09 AM
((((mmmmm))))

Pioneer SX 1250..... nice piece of gear :).

Titanium Dome
12-22-2005, 09:29 AM
It's just smack talk dude. I don't think anyone really cares. At least I hope they don't. :p

I care a lot. I think about it all the time. During the middle of an important meeting I'm thinking,

Lord help me, when will this get over? I NEED to check in at Lansing Heritage to see if anyone's off the right path. Gosh, what if someone needs guidance?

Why won't people do what I say? Why can't they see there's a wrong way and my way? I feel sooo bad that I can't correct more foolish behavior.

Geez, I hope no one is thinking of using horns right now. Why are people wasting their time on freaking horns? Titanium radiators baby, direct Titanium's the way. EVERYBODY should love Ti as much as I do, and all Ti tweeters must be in an EOS Waveguide, must, must, I tell you!

George Bush, I wish there was a way to get a Titanium Act through Congress, because it's, you know, the RIGHT thing to do, to protect Americans from themselves. It's a way to safeguard liberty through laws that limit freedom. Once everyone hears how Ti is the ONLY choice, they won't remember why they need a choice. THEN we can take Ti to the world, starting in nonTi countries in the Middle East.

No more horns! NO MORE HORNS! I have to stop the madness!! When will this meeting be over!

:spchless: :spchless: :spchless:

4313B
12-22-2005, 09:52 AM
I care a lot. I think about it all the time. During the middle of an important meeting I'm thinkingYou bastard! That's why you never implemented those other cost saving procedures I was yapping about in that meeting and we ended up having to outsource all those American jobs to India! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

:dont-know Oh well... horns blow...

clmrt
12-22-2005, 10:00 AM
Stacking seems to be the popular revived trick of the day, have you tried it?

Flip the 4425's upside down on top of the Sov's and see what that sounds like.

JuniorJBL
12-22-2005, 10:00 AM
:rotfl:

edgewound
12-22-2005, 11:15 AM
Stacking seems to be the popular revived trick of the day, have you tried it?

Flip the 4425's upside down on top of the Sov's and see what that sounds like.

Now yer tawkin'....:p

kingjames
12-22-2005, 01:15 PM
Well,I must say what a diverse group. This is what makes this forum so great. When I read the replies to question's I hear from all sides and this is exactly what I am looking for. The electronic's part of it is what I was asking. I'm not sure if I will harm the amp my speakers or both. The replies on this thread like all other threads allows me to sort through all the opinion's and there are always quite a few to pick and choose which one applies to me. When I post a thread I want all opinions good or bad, I want the smart ass'es as well as the happy go lucky replies,only in this way can there be in the end an objective review, believe me, I can read between the lines. Constructive criticism is always good,and I will never fault anyone for thinking my idea is dumb or overboard.But in the end I will always allow my ear's to be the judge,but even then my ears can't tell me if it's the right thing to do to my receiver. Thanks to all and a Merry Christmas.

edgewound
12-22-2005, 01:34 PM
I like your outlook, Kingjames:applaud:

Have a Merry Christmas...have fun with those newly acquired L5's

Mr. Widget
12-22-2005, 01:50 PM
Well,I must say what a diverse group.That's a fact!

When someone asks, will X be better than Y, we typically jump in thinking about it from our perspective... but there truly are many ways to use and enjoy this stuff.

Merry and Happy to you to!

Widget