PDA

View Full Version : Soliciting recommendations for good/great horn CD's

mikebake
12-20-2005, 07:24 PM
for the sound of fat, biting, lush, realistic horns. Occassionally I run across a CD where a horn just sounds so damn real and "in the room". I've a couple of CD's with jazz trumpet where you just get a good taste of that "brabbppp" and power and body and wavefront/edge. Know what I mean?

scott fitlin
12-20-2005, 07:32 PM
Theres this one CD Louie Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald, the track is called Summertime! Its from Porgy and Bess. Through the right system, Ellas voice and Louies horn bring a tear to my eye!

But, Louies horn just cuts through everything in a way only he ever got a trumpet to do, and to me has that something, the thing that is what music is all about!

Now I gotta try and find what CD it is! Try to find a really good remastered CD version.

pelly3s
12-20-2005, 07:42 PM
Any Tower of Power will work.... I have some Benny Goodman stuff on vinyl that sounds amazing, but there is nothing in my eyes like a T.O.P. song

mikebake
12-20-2005, 07:44 PM
I always dig the shit out of any ToP, but don't know that I have found any of their recordings themselves to quite hit what I am talking about. Is there one? Their recordings have weight (nice heavy horn arrangements that way, too) and are smooth, but I don't hear solo horns really cut the air.

pelly3s
12-20-2005, 07:50 PM
Soul Vaccination has some great stuff. Its a live album and a couple times they let Jesse McGuire go nuts on a couple tracks

mikebake
12-20-2005, 07:52 PM
I know it well.....I better see if I still have a copy and go dig it out.

stpower
12-20-2005, 09:33 PM
Lionel Hampton, Just Jazz, Live At The Bluenote. On Telarc Cd-83313. Best recorded trumpet and sax I have heard.Try the selection Corner Pocket.

stpower

Steve Schell
12-21-2005, 11:05 AM
The soundtrack CD to the PBS program "Unforgivable Blackness" has some very nice trumpet (Wynton Marsalis), trombone and other brass. Everything is close miced and in your face, but in a good, hyper realistic way. Excellent demo material that is also great fun to listen to. Low frequencies are also really good.

Mr. Widget
12-21-2005, 11:18 AM
The soundtrack CD to the PBS program "Unforgivable Blackness" ...Steve, recommended this disc on the "favorites" thread and I grabbed a copy to check out... I'll second his recommendation. Sonically it is excellent. Musically it is mostly short snippets of music as needed for a movie's soundtrack... a little odd to listen to.

Widget

edgewound
12-21-2005, 11:19 AM
Another from the Marsalis Family....Branford Marsalis, "Trio Jeepy" with the late, great Milt Hinton on bass.

Close miked...hear the fingers on the sax keys, breath sounds, fingers on bass strings, seat movement....everything...that is live music.

Michael Smith
12-21-2005, 02:41 PM
Good Morning Boys (Afternoon for you lot)
Give Miles Davis LIVE AROUND THE WORLD a try, it has it all.
Michael

Fred Sanford
12-21-2005, 05:03 PM
One that gets me for recreating the "room" is the soundtrack of "'Round Midnight", with Herbie Hancock and Dexter Gordon, among many others. Nothing polished to perfection (the movie is actually depicting the declining years of an aging sax player), but a brilliant job in my opinion of sitting me down in the club's audience. Even the old VHS copy's pro-logic was impressive. There's been a re-master of the CD; I have the VHS, DVD and first CD release.

je

edgewound
12-21-2005, 05:23 PM
Another of my favorite listens is "Sinatra at the Sands...Frank Sinatra with Count Basie and the Orchestra"..about 1965. The transfer to CD might not be the greatest, but the performance and the Band is. Sinatra at his finest ...Count Basie Orchestra featuring a young Quincy Jones. The dynamics and feel of the Basie Big Band is incredible.

gerard
12-30-2005, 09:20 AM
Archie sheep " The way ahead " first tune .

best saxo recording I heard ...

kingjames
12-30-2005, 05:10 PM
I kinda like a trumpet with a Spanish touch, and there are some good tunes from the old Clint Eastwood Spagetti Western's. I like the cuts from Hugo Montenegro and not ennio morricone who originally done the soundtracks for the Spagetti Western's. Everytime I play those tunes on my JBL'S it gives me goosebumps. Just a thought!:)

Steve K
12-31-2005, 03:54 AM
Here're some of my favorite 'horn' artists to start you off:

Cannonball Adderley 'Somethin' Else'
Sonny Stitt, playing arrangements by Quincy Jones
Thad Jones & Mel Lewis orchestra
Marty Paich orchestra
Zoot Zims