PDA

View Full Version : L100T from 1987. Where do I get NEW Woofers?

E.T.
12-18-2005, 03:01 PM
I Love(ed) the sound untill both woofers went. The foam got "tender" caused by age and a humid environment, and after a few hours of music powered by my equally old Denon PMA900V. So, now I need new ones...and I refuse to put in something that is not right.

Does anybody know where I can find the correct replacements for these Woofers (12" aquaplas)

Any help is truely appreciated.

Sincerely, E.T.

Zilch
12-18-2005, 03:23 PM
http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical%20Sheet/L100t%20ts.pdf

Install new surrounds, and you're good for another 20 years:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=469

E.T.
12-19-2005, 07:45 AM
Thanks Zilch,
but:
I wish it was so easy (and maybe it is), but the whole cone is disconnected. Also down below at the magnet. There the fabric is torn arounde the coil. So can it still be "fixed"?

Thanks, E.T.

Robh3606
12-19-2005, 08:15 AM
The spiders torn??!!! Gezzz what happened??? Those drivers can take quite a bit of power?? Sounds like you need a recone kit for 2214. That will cost you about $150.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/ocsrepairprice.html

Rob:)

E.T.
12-19-2005, 09:04 AM
Thanks Rob!

I never play loud (not!)! I think it was the artist they didn't like (and don't ask!)

I thank you for the information. I didn't know a complete kit was available. And: Thank you for the link!

Guess I can get to enjoy them again! Thanx Rob!

I have my 220V amp (from Europe) hooked up over my Waterheater relay box. Could that have trown anything (spike) into the mix?

E.T.

JuniorJBL
12-19-2005, 09:17 AM
Your unit ok with 50/60hz?
If not then that could be a problem.:blink:

E.T.
12-19-2005, 10:35 AM
50/60Hz.......Uhm yes!...? I am pretty sure....I figured following: Everything goes through a rectifier and the other stuff to give it the DC, and there is nothing mechanical in it, that running of the "clock".......so...!? And it has been working the last 13 years here... (and I do believe it says 50/60 on the back, but it would be years ago that I checked. Stuff like that don't change...."LOL") I will check it out t-night. Thank you for making me nervous...... and the possible help!

Sincerely,

E.T.

Zilch
12-19-2005, 01:58 PM
Be aware that a complete recone is not a DIY task, and JBL does not sell cone kits to consumers in the U.S.

It's best to have one of the JBL authorized service centers do it. Look 'em up on the JBL Pro website....

Also, click "UserCP" above and enable location display in your profile. If we knew where you are, someone might have a local reconer to recommend....

E.T.
12-19-2005, 03:38 PM
Thanks a bunch, Zilch. That answers another question aswell......
Will do!
I'm located 45 minutes West of Philadelphia!

Thanx,

E.T.

scott fitlin
12-19-2005, 06:04 PM
Thanks a bunch, Zilch. That answers another question aswell......
Will do!
I'm located 45 minutes West of Philadelphia!

Thanx,

E.T.Have your woofers reconed by Eric Wayne, Consolidated Audio, Pompton lakes NJ! He is the VERY best JBL reconer there is! IMHO!

John B
12-19-2005, 08:04 PM
You would be close to Price Stevenson in Downingtown. I had a woofer reconed there a few years ago, they did a nice job.

E.T.
12-20-2005, 06:32 AM
Thank you for the input guys! But let us say I was a crazy dude (and you might think stupid too) and wanted new ones. Would I be able to get it somewhere?

Where?

I'm just thinking, so please, don't be too harsh on me....yet!

E.T.

E.T.
12-20-2005, 08:06 AM
.......and because I now have found out, that at least 1 of the units has a burned/broken coil, I need to ask this: Do we use our own coil on a reconing kit?

Thanks for your response!

E.T.

JuniorJBL
12-20-2005, 08:16 AM
.......and because I now have found out, that at least 1 of the units has a burned/broken coil, I need to ask this: Do we use our own coil on a reconing kit?

Thanks for your response!

E.T.

A recone kit is a full coil/former spider,cone and surround. It just uses your frame and magnet;)

JuniorJBL
12-20-2005, 08:20 AM
As for new ones it looks like they are NLA. Some of the other more knowledgeable forum members might know where some NOS drivers might be but I dono?

A recone is pretty much the way to go.;)

E.T.
12-20-2005, 08:22 AM
All the other components (Denon CD & Tape) say 50/60Hz, BUT the Amp does only say 50Hz on the back! It still works......... soooooo, what can, or is electronically going wrong, and how does it affect the situation?
Anybody?......Anybody?:blink:

Tnx guys,

E.T.

JuniorJBL
12-20-2005, 08:35 AM
A transformer that will convert 110/220v 60hz to 220v 50hz.
They are called step-up transformers. I do know that your power supply will be working harder on 60hz than it would be on 50hz. Not sure what else would be affected but it could be a number of things.

E.T.
12-20-2005, 08:46 AM
So Recone it is. Thanks Bud! Being warne that it is not a DIY job I wonder how much that is depending on the individual? I have rebuilt Engines, from 350V8 down to 0.25Ci nitros, transmissions. Have made own Car Amps, custom enclosures, wound coils for miniature chargers, "I do it all" and I'm very particular, bordering pedantic. Do I have a chance for doing it right, or am i wasting my time/breath? It is not a money issue, just a "me" thing.

Inputs?

Tnx,
E.T.

edgewound
12-20-2005, 08:51 AM
A recone for a 2214H/H-1 is $146.00 per the factory price list. Cone kits are only sold to authorized JBL Service Agencies. Though the skill/care level varies from tech to tech that ensures you get a warranty with the recone that lasts for 90 days.

JuniorJBL
12-20-2005, 08:54 AM
Some say impossible others say not hard. But what will be hard is getting a cone kit without being an authorized service center. It did look like some members pointed you to some good reconers. It does take the right equipment to do the job properly.

E.T.
12-20-2005, 09:05 AM
And you are correct with that. I think I will go that route.

Thanks, to everybody who helped out on this.

See ya!

E.T.

remusr
12-20-2005, 11:48 PM
2 comments:
1. JBL Pro lists replacement 2214H drivers for $238.33 in their July 6/05 revision of "JBL Professional Products, Customer Service, Transducer Parts Listing" on the JBl Pro site. So they should be available. And not a real bad price.
2. I just happen to have a pair of L100T's I purchased new, didn't use a lot, treated well (even regular oiling) and will no longer need when my L300's arrive in a week or so. Although I don't think they generally draw a big price on ebay, Mine are perfect. Not a scratch or foam problem or anything. Foam lasts up here - there are some benefits to living in the cold north! I do have the original boxes, manuals, literature, Stereo review review...and wait....the famous "JBL Custom Crafted for my name" nameplates too!
- Roy, in Calgary