PDA

View Full Version : Your best JBL find

Pages : [1] 2

jbl4ever
12-16-2005, 04:00 AM
Over 25 years ago I by chance answered a ad in the paper for JBL speakers.
The ad just said JBL speakers $600.00. Upon calling the person I was told
their were big and had water damage. Her describtion did not make sense
so I thought what the heck check it out. To my surprize it was a Paragon
The water damage bad all the veneer lifted and chipped off. I purchased
them and listened too for a while. Then I did something stupid:banghead: I took
all the components out and burned them. Components were all in great
shape should have saved the cabinet and redone it. Something about
they were in a hurricane from overseas.:o:

Fred Sanford
12-16-2005, 04:47 AM
A pair of 4333As in a co-worker's mother's garage?

Two pair of L46s hidden in air ducts in a client's apartment?

A pair of L110s in a friend's garbage cans?

Have I actually paid for any of my JBLs?

je

John W
12-16-2005, 10:05 AM
I answered an add in the local paper that said "JVL" speakers $125. I called and asked if maybe these weren't "JBL" and what the model number was. It turns out they were L65s. I snatched them right up. These speakers got me out of my single driver, high efficiency tube driven audio phase and made me a high power solid-state devotee.

4313B
12-16-2005, 10:13 AM
I took all the components out and burned them.What did you burn the components with? I have a bunch of NOS LE15A's and 375's (red wax seals intact) that I want to burn.

paragon
12-16-2005, 10:14 AM
All i have now. The professional 2205A, K 145, 2441, 2402, 2405, 2397, networks and all others. Price was always ok. "Easy lover".:applaud:

mikebake
12-16-2005, 10:26 AM
a) this forum

b) the tent sale

jbl4ever
12-16-2005, 11:42 AM
No Giskard, I burnt the cabinets and saved all the beautiful components:)

4313B
12-16-2005, 11:48 AM
Ah! :p

toddalin
12-16-2005, 12:14 PM
A pair of L112s in excellant condition for $50/pr. The lady even threw in a beveled glass table top that we use along one wall. The beveled glass was worth well over $50.

Another nice find was an excellent pair of Apollo Cabinets with LE-14Cs/LX-2s that a friend GAVE me when I commented on them while at his house. They were replacing the carpet and were going to give them to the gardner. They also offered me the matching JBL center console (complete with Fisher solid-state receiver and an Ampex reel-to-reel) just to take it. It was too big for me and the gardner got it.

I offered this stuff on the forum to anyone who was interested (including the center cabinet before the gardner got it) and the Apollos went to a nice home at a reasonable price.

Oh, also just got a NEW W15GTI for $250.

Ken Pachkowsky
12-16-2005, 12:14 PM
The best deal I ever came across was the 4345's that I sold to Bo. Not because of the price but the condition. I am sure Bo would confirm they are as mint as mint gets. Yes, I do wish I could afford to have kept them and the Westies, but alas they went to a good home.

Ken

Mr. Widget
12-16-2005, 12:17 PM
a) this forum

b) the tent sale Yes, and yes!!! I miss that tent!

Widget

JuniorJBL
12-16-2005, 12:28 PM
I found my L250's at a pawn shop for $900 but they were not in great shape.
I am working on that;)

Don C
12-16-2005, 12:37 PM
My best find was when another member of this very board offered a Mark Levinson LNC-2 active crossover, for $125.00 OK, it's not actually JBL, but it's an honorary JBL find, because it was set up with 300Hz cards especially for use with JBL four way systems. It works great with my XPL200s. Also, the L-100s that we raffled off here were a nice find too, at $35.00

edgewound
12-16-2005, 01:33 PM
I've had a few great JBL finds. First was a pair of L-65 with rotted surrounds. Paid $150.00 for the pair and the guy threw in a Pioneer SX-1010...sold the L-65s a year later for $700.00 and the guy still loves them.

I bought a Metregon for $375.00 in about 1990...had the blue components:LE15A with Lansalloy, LE75 drivers, H5040 horns. Water damage lifted the veneer on the top. I sold it for $1500.00 an hour after I bought it..got to listen to it for a week. It was sent to Taiwan. Sound was okay.

Bought a pair of 4333's for $400.00 about ten years ago...reconed the 2231's and sold them a few months later for $1800.00....wish I still had those:( .

Bought a pair of L100t3's with rotten surrounds a year ago for $50.00....recently sold them for $650.00...repaired of course...they went to the Philipines.

Wish I still had those 4333's...but I needed the money....

norealtalent
12-16-2005, 02:18 PM
MY ABSOLUTE BEST JBL FIND EVER: beat L77's at a garage sale for $15 7 years ago. BEST because it got me into the best Just Bitchin' Loudspeakers ever!!!
I've been VERY fortunate in my JBL endeavors. I work hard at finding them but always say thank you to the speaker gods for smiling on me. Here's just a few of the highlights...
Found a pair of 4343's still in their boxes plus a pair of Dorians with LE20's for $1500 from a music store in Boston 3 or 4 years ago (CRS.) Sold the 43's for $3400 since I had another pair I found in Montreal with a SS Mc amp for $600. I let the nice ones bring some money to buy more. Found a nice pair 4333's in LA for $650 delivered. Drove to southern Ohio early this year for a near mint pair 4343's for $500, still have them, doubt I'll ever see a pair as nice again. Latest great find, BBSM15's in Philly for $1800, still working on them... Regis is the only other person I know of with that kind of speaker luck!!! :bouncy: :applaud: :D

Ian Mackenzie
12-16-2005, 02:20 PM
Dang it,

Post some pics of your 43 collection..please.

Ken Pachkowsky
12-16-2005, 02:33 PM
Regis is the only other person I know of with that kind of speaker luck!!! :bouncy: :applaud: :D

Unbelievable....about 20 guys in the Sothern California area do the same thing. You have to be searching full time in this area to find those deals. Guys here make a living flipping JBL stuff world wide. I have met a few of them and they are ruthless. Most don't even use them, its just a commodity. BBSM15's for 1800.00. now thats a bargain. I just sold a pair for 5100.00 and thought I gave them away. They were in fantastic shape and included those custom stands. Would love to see pictures of the ones you have?

Ken

norealtalent
12-16-2005, 02:56 PM
Dang it,

Post some pics of your 43 collection..please.

I've been fortunate to have 7 pair of these. I lost most of my earliest pics in a computer crash a few years back. To see the new pair with boxes and grilles in plastic lined up against the wall was really impressive. A man in Pueblo bought them and loves them to this day. These pics are the last walnut pair I sold except the pic with the 2360 on the dual 15 cab. That ome is what I have now. I had pulled the nameplate to have them duplicated. I have a bigger pic of my avatar somewhere. That's the only pic I have of more than one pair at a time. I'll look for that one too. When I dig out the pair I have now I'll take some more detailed pics if anybody would like. I don't want to hog all the forum space.:bouncy:

Tom Loizeaux
12-16-2005, 03:11 PM
My "Best JBL Find" has to be the first pair of studio monitors I rescued - not because I got them cheaply, but because it lead me into taking them apart. As I re-habbed these 4333s I began to appreciate the quality built into these drivers, crossovers and cabinets. With the restoration completed and after my first listen, I was hooked!

Tom

norealtalent
12-16-2005, 03:20 PM
Unbelievable....about 20 guys in the Sothern California area do the same thing. You have to be searching full time in this area to find those deals. Guys here make a living flipping JBL stuff world wide. I have met a few of them and they are ruthless. Most don't even use them, its just a commodity. BBSM15's for 1800.00. now thats a bargain. I just sold a pair for 5100.00 and thought I gave them away. They were in fantastic shape and included those custom stands. Would love to see pictures of the ones you have?

Ken

You did give them away!!! These are not as nice as those but I'm working on it...with a little help from my Friends... Tossing around thoughts of veneer and dattoed corners...Here's a couple pics when they came through the door... I have sanded the horns back to "you'd never know" condition and given them a few generous coats of lemon oil. ALL foams and domes are incorrect (does not effect sound:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: .) I am working on getting the recone kits now. Crossovers were jumped for various who knows what some body who would "repair" woofers like that would do to a crossover? I got a schematic (thank you again!) and am very meticulously going over every section. I think I will be inquiring of our really "talented" members for upgrade assistance with the crossovers before it's all said and done.
I'm a NYS LMT by trade. My speaker passion turned into an unbelievable journey in the pursuit of the 3 B's, BIGGER, BETTER, BADDER!!! I've had contact with a few of the ruthless ones. I'm grateful to be who I am and still be so fortunate. I never even dreamed I'd get to hear half the stuff thats gone through my hands let alone sell it because I found something better. I am a very honored steward...

Jakeisuseless
12-16-2005, 03:25 PM
My mom came home and said she had some speakers for me.... they were heavy and had this insane looking grill on them. They were L166s....

norealtalent
12-16-2005, 03:46 PM
I agree with Tom, the first pair and you're hooked. JUNKIE FOR LIFE!!!:D
Don't remember which pairs these are.

norealtalent
12-16-2005, 03:49 PM
Still looking.....

glen
12-16-2005, 03:50 PM
#3: Pair of L-19-s at a yard sale $40.

#2. C-34 (175 & 130) at a rummage sale $50
http://www.audioheritage.org/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=182

#1. D1002(130 & 275), C-50/S-7 & mystery speaker absolutely free
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8239

Only in the C-34 was spotted while I was actively hitting the yard-sales.
Others were just "Hey, wait a minute..." while I was driving by

Ken Pachkowsky
12-16-2005, 03:54 PM
[QUOTE=norealtalent]You did give them away!!! These are not as nice as those but I'm working on it...with a little help from my Friends... [QUOTE]

Post pics of the rear baffle so the members can see those crossovers. At the factory they have a whole section where they do nothing but hand wind the coils. They have three large racks with prototype passive crossovers. I must have counted 40 or 50 of them. Some coils are as big a beer cans and the caps are custom made. I have no doubt you will do a fine job.

Stay tuned for an interesting announcement.

Ken

JuniorJBL
12-16-2005, 03:57 PM

Ken

:blink:

norealtalent
12-16-2005, 04:00 PM
[QUOTE=norealtalent]You did give them away!!! These are not as nice as those but I'm working on it...with a little help from my Friends... [QUOTE]

Post pics of the rear baffle so the members can see those crossovers. At the factory they have a whole section where they do nothing but hand wind the coils. They have three large racks with prototype passive crossovers. I must have counted 40 or 50 of them. Some coils are as big a beer cans and the caps are custom made. I have no doubt you will do a fine job.

Ken

I love interesting announcements!!! Thank you for the vote of confidence...

toddalin
12-16-2005, 05:37 PM
#3: Pair of L-19-s at a yard sale $40.

#2. C-34 (175 & 130) at a rummage sale $50
http://www.audioheritage.org/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=182

#1. D1002(130 & 275), C-50/S-7 & mystery speaker absolutely free
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8239

Only in the C-34 was spotted while I was actively hitting the yard-sales.
Others were just "Hey, wait a minute..." while I was driving by

I think that way back when, I got your other C-34 also for about $50-100. :D The components eventually went into my center channel and the cabinet got tossed or given away. If you are interested, I am getting ready to part with the woofer (still original) and could be convinced to part with the 175 (also still original) if the serial number is close and you are trying for a "matched" pair.

Once at Saugus swapmeet, for $50 for ALL, my brother got an LE-15A in a about a 2-3 cu ft cabinet AND an Altec 605A in a factory utility cabinet. (It was about 32 year ago now, so prices may have gone up a little.) The LE-15A had been sprayed with a white material with a rough texture. Best I can figure is that it was either to add mass or weatherproof it.

andresohc
12-16-2005, 10:34 PM
You got the good guy forumite discount on that W15GTi:applaud: I just ask to be able to give it a listen once you get it set up:)
A pair of L112s in excellant condition for $50/pr. The lady even threw in a beveled glass table top that we use along one wall. The beveled glass was worth well over $50.

Another nice find was an excellent pair of Apollo Cabinets with LE-14Cs/LX-2s that a friend GAVE me when I commented on them while at his house. They were replacing the carpet and were going to give them to the gardner. They also offered me the matching JBL center console (complete with Fisher solid-state receiver and an Ampex reel-to-reel) just to take it. It was too big for me and the gardner got it.

I offered this stuff on the forum to anyone who was interested (including the center cabinet before the gardner got it) and the Apollos went to a nice home at a reasonable price.

Oh, also just got a NEW W15GTI for $250.

andresohc
12-16-2005, 10:44 PM
My best find was a single L112 I got at a thrift store for $5 (they were going to throw it away because the surrounds were gone). It started down the path...

57BELAIRE
12-17-2005, 09:51 AM
Paragon #278 was purchased off the back of a truck at the Sunrise Flea Market in Ft. Lauderdale for $400 by my friend Jamie whom I convinced to sell to me.

The vendor said he bid on the contents of a storage bin that was being auctioned off to pay delinquent fees. He had no idea of it's worth...Jamie had a clue...but not really. He was going to part it out so I figured at least I could score the enclosure and go from there.

It had all the original components (150-4c's, 375's, o75's, N400's and N7000's) It was missing the refractor panel and one rear leg.

Well, as it happened, the most unlikely person saved this Paragon....
HIS WIFE!!!! She took one look at this monster in her livingroom and said "NO WAY!!!

I jumped on the opportunity and offered him $2500...I would have gladly paid double that!...he accepted and the rest is history.

So Paragon #278 now sits proudly in my living room (most of it anyway)and is a feast for the eyes and ears for this old JBL diehard.:D

norealtalent
12-17-2005, 10:09 AM
Nice score. When did you aquire the Paragon?

57BELAIRE
12-17-2005, 10:25 AM
Nice score. When did you aquire the Paragon?

It's been about a year. The finish is "ebony" but is actually more of a laminate. I found a near perfect match (Wilsonart semi-gloss black) and plan on restoring it to it's former glory.

Although it doesn't need the refractor panel to achieve that incredible soundstage for aesthetic purposes it does.

I know there are some forum members out there with exceptional woodworking skills that might have some ideas on how to recreate the panel.
I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

norealtalent
12-17-2005, 10:36 AM
Thankyou. I was privelaged to see Oldmics Paragon just before it left but I never did get to hear that legendary sound. Someday I will be so fortunate... Subwoof is REALLY talented with the woodworking. He may be able to direct you with refraction panel techniques...:bouncy:

toddalin
12-17-2005, 11:51 AM
You got the good guy forumite discount on that W15GTi:applaud: I just ask to be able to give it a listen once you get it set up:)

You got it! The three 2205's (being redone as 2235's) will be out of OCS this coming week, so maybe we could arrange a visit/movie between Christmas and New Years, or shortly thereafter.

Fred Sanford
12-17-2005, 12:27 PM
Paragon #278 was purchased off the back of a truck at the Sunrise Flea Market in Ft. Lauderdale for $400 by my friend Jamie whom I convinced to sell to me.

The vendor said he bid on the contents of a storage bin that was being auctioned off to pay delinquent fees.

I had some friends that managed a storage facility in Rockland County, NY, I was lucky enough to win some bids on storage-bins-gone-unpaid, one of the best was when Ron Isley went bankrupt (before he won the Michael Bolton lawsuit). I got his 1863 Steinway Square Grand for a pittance, others got his old Lincoln Continental, a Harley chopper and two other Steinways. Oh, and LOTS (LOTS!) of gold & red velvet furniture.

I also won a bid on the storage garage of a guy that used to maintain the county school district's AV gear, for $75 or so. After a load of sorting through crap, I ended up with a bunch of great old mics, tubes, etc. that were useful or at least valuable.

Feels somehow dirty to root through the detritus of other folk's ruined lives, but I'm a dumpster diver, I pretty much have no shame.

je

Steve Schell
12-17-2005, 12:43 PM
I collect mostly the early stuff from the Jim Lansing era- Lansing Mfg. Co., Altec and JBL. Usually for me just finding the stuff is the score, as I most often happily pay through the nose to the resellers who do the hard work to find the items. Some of the pieces are so rare I am happy to obtain them in any condition, and regard them primarily as historical artifacts.

In this context probably my greatest score was the Lansing 500A monitor system that came out of Manual Arts High School auditorium. It is the actual piece referred to in LMCo's bulletin sales sheet (see "History Found" article on this site under Perspectives). This system was missing its woofer, but I later acquired the correct 15XS woofer, serial #49.

Not far behind is a 1947 or 1948 JBL D-1002 two way system with all original components. It is from the Venice factory, and was likely assembled by Jim Lansing.

The earliest JBL products were hand built by Jim Lansing at his ranch in San Marcos, CA. So far I have scored two D-101 15" drivers (JBL's first product), and one D-130 with San Marcos label.

Another nice piece is an oddball LMCo. compression driver, model 199E, serial number 10. It has a 2" diaphragm and 1" exit. It looks to be an experimental piece from the development effort for the Shearer Horn System. They apparently tried several different formats before settling on the 2.84" diaphragm and 1.5" exit of the 284 driver.

toddalin
12-17-2005, 04:00 PM
Feels somehow dirty to root through the detritus of other folk's ruined lives, but I'm a dumpster diver, I pretty much have no shame.

je

Back in 1973/74 when I worked for the Thomas Organ Company as a line technician, we also produced some of the VOX (mostly Cry Baby's and Churchhill PA systems) and Moog equipment (Moog Satellite that was also built into their top-line organs). Some of the high end VOX equipment (Churchhill PA and custom Super Beatles) used JBL. Thomas used to toss HL-89's with wavy plates (used in the PA) and ??? in the dumpsters ALL THE TIME! I had friends who used to dive for this stuff. Thomas ended up fencing the trash area with chainlink and barbwire to put an end to it. Thomas Organ Company was also located in Northridge (Hayvenhurst just north of Roscoe) close to the JBL factory.

They would also sell off stuff to the employees. Had a friend who bought a one-off plexiglass Super Beatle with JBLs and small horn for I believe $100. Was very cool being of all plexiglass and the heatsinks/chassie/etc. were all chrome plated.

duaneage
12-17-2005, 10:07 PM
When I lived in Florida I visited the Sunrise Flea Market at least twice a month. Got a few incredible deals there on equipment but never anything like a Paragon. talk about not knowing what he had, one search or two on Google or eBay and he would have been in fat city.

jbl4ever
12-17-2005, 10:31 PM
Back then ebay and google were not even thought of. Also newer interests
were the big 43XX series. Did not seem to be a big interest on the paragons.
People viewed them as older sounding technology

jim3860
12-18-2005, 06:10 AM
I think the 2 best finds for the money were a pair of L112s for $65.00,And an old mid 70s Altec lansing pro amp model 9440 Alpha- 200 watts into 8 ohms 400 into 4 ohms 800 watts in mono mode for $195.00. the cost new in 1975 was $2995.00 great amp works as good as it did in 75 :applaud: HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all

Maron Horonzakz
12-18-2005, 06:56 AM
Making the refracer panel will not be easy...I made two 25 yrs ago. You need to make a jig to hold the curved laminated panels as you glue them together. 1/8 masonite.. I forgot how many layers plus final layer of veneer. This when glue is cured & dry will hold its final shape. I dont remember the dia. of curve. It was on the plans. Maybe some one else with blue prints can give you that number. The panel will slip easily into slots on left/right horn cabinets. Its been so long ago. I made two complete Paragons. JBL at the time was so kind to sell me the front carved legs. Although I did carve a pair for some one else. It took 4 months to complete the project for both Paragons. ...Maron

LE15-Thumper
12-18-2005, 02:18 PM
What did you burn the components with? I have a bunch of NOS LE15A's and 375's (red wax seals intact) that I want to burn.

Weenie roast at Giskards place !!!! :applaud:

Neoman
12-18-2005, 04:57 PM
Well here I go letin the Rabbit out of the hat
I"m at the local thrift and while cruzin the furniture section I stop dead in my tracks There they are two blocks of JBL Summit L-300's, step back to take it all in foam rott thats to be exspected ok what the heck are these jewel like tweeters I grab the floor manager to put my name on em SOLD TO ME I've never been so nervous wating for my card to process!:D $100.00 !!

Ken Pachkowsky
12-18-2005, 05:15 PM
I've never been so nervous wating for my card to process!:D $100.00 !!

Now, thats a goodie!

Mr. Widget
12-18-2005, 05:49 PM
I've never been so nervous wating for my card to process!:D $100.00 !!I know that feeling!

Wow... that is certainly a find indeed!!!

Widget

Neoman
12-18-2005, 05:58 PM
Well you thought that was good. During my stint as an audio visual tech I got a chance to refoam these baby's and the owner who was also my co-worker let me take em home after we closed are CA. operations......JBL 4313B Still a favorite! Price paid ..NaDA FREE BE!

Tom Loizeaux
12-18-2005, 06:46 PM
[QUOTE=norealtalent]I've been fortunate to have 7 pair of these... To see the new pair with boxes and grilles in plastic lined up against the wall was really impressive...QUOTE]

It's clear you're really hooked! Seeing the extent of your addiction makes me feel better about mine.
You've gotta get a pair of 4343s up and running and tweaked. Take some time to enjoy audio bliss!

Tom

toddalin
12-18-2005, 07:47 PM
Well you thought that was good. During my stint as an audio visual tech I got a chance to refoam these baby's and the owner who was also my co-worker let me take em home after we closed are CA. operations......JBL 4313B Still a favorite! Price paid ..NaDA FREE BE!

Well sure..., after you put the foam on the wrong side of the cone, who else would want them.;)

Audiobeer
12-18-2005, 07:52 PM
Well sure..., after you put the foam on the wrong side of the cone, who else would want them.;)

That's to funny! :applaud:
I have had a pair for about a year before I realized it had the same problem.

Zilch
12-18-2005, 07:58 PM
Look out, folks, Todd's on a ROLL tonight!

:rotfl:

norealtalent
12-18-2005, 08:41 PM
[QUOTE=norealtalent]I've been fortunate to have 7 pair of these... To see the new pair with boxes and grilles in plastic lined up against the wall was really impressive...QUOTE]

It's clear you're really hooked! Seeing the extent of your addiction makes me feel better about mine.
You've gotta get a pair of 4343s up and running and tweaked. Take some time to enjoy audio bliss!

Tom

Thanks Tom. Never say never! 43's are still in the back. I'm working on the Westlakes right now. Got one x-over straightened out yesterday. I won't give any impressions yet. I know it's only one and it's only half the signal, but it sure sounds more like it. Looking at the schematic and comparing it to the unadulterated sections, I don't think these things were ever right! There are 3 circuits in each speaker that are just plain ass backwards, resistor-coil-cap instaed of cap-coil-resistor. I'm no crossover wiz but I know that cap needs to be on the right side of the coil!!!:banghead:

Free 4313's are nice, even with the foam backwards but I gotta say, the $100 L300's take the cake in my book!!! :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Mr. Widget
12-18-2005, 09:02 PM
[QUOTE=Tom Loizeaux]
Free 4313's are nice, even with the foam backwards but I gotta say, the $100 L300's take the cake in my book!!! :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:Ditto!

Hey Talent,

You should contact Westlake and get the schematics and whatever other information you can about your Westlakes... Ken has pestered the hell out of them :D and they have been very forthcoming with information and help...

Apparently each pair of their bigger monitors are essentially custom built and they keep thorough records.

Widget

jbljfan
12-18-2005, 09:14 PM
I picked up a pair of original owner L-220's for $300. I've had the surrounds on the woofers and PR's replaced. The cabinets have gotten a lot elbow grease, lemon oil & 000 steelwool. I'm still hoping pics show up on http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6064&page=1&pp=15
I use them for HT mains and I promise Widget I will not watch any opera DVD's with them. http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/montyp.gif

Mr. Widget
12-18-2005, 09:59 PM
...I promise Widget I will not watch any opera DVD's with them. http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/montyp.gifZooooom over my head.... but I can't imagine watching an Opera DVD on any system.:)

Widget

Akira
12-19-2005, 01:55 AM
Not as spectacular a deal as some of the others but...

Got a pair of 4411's for a trade on an cheap 1/2 space digital reverb which was worth $400. new, but maybe $100. at the time. I picked up the 4411's because they were a steal, even though I had no use for them. Tried to sell them without success. But, in the early 90's they were considered uncool. No one wanted a speaker that size. Computer music and small two ways became popular. I never played them until recently. I always assumed they were just a pair of 4311/L100's. Wrong: they actually sound pretty good.
Still have no use for them.

norealtalent
12-19-2005, 08:34 AM
[QUOTE=norealtalent]Ditto!

Hey Talent,

You should contact Westlake and get the schematics and whatever other information you can about your Westlakes... Ken has pestered the hell out of them :D and they have been very forthcoming with information and help...

Apparently each pair of their bigger monitors are essentially custom built and they keep thorough records.

Widget

Been there, done that, thank you Ken + Sherwood!!! I am going by the schematic Sherwood sent me. Some of the positive pathway components are very neatly installed backwards and I swear it's original. There is NO sign of tampering in those areas. I don't know what else to think. I'm wiring them like the schematic says. I don't know why somebody else would do the mods that were done unless something was wrong in the first place and I find it hard to believe that Westlake would let them go if they weren't right :banghead: I know mid production changes get made and yada yada yada. My experience says when all else fails, go back to basics. I'll follow the schematic. When I have them both done, I'll listen and decide from there. Thank you for the encouragement and support.:bouncy:

Ian Mackenzie
12-19-2005, 09:46 AM
Love them pics...jealous

Ian

toddalin
12-19-2005, 10:41 AM
[QUOTE=Mr. Widget]

Been there, done that, thank you Ken + Sherwood!!! I am going by the schematic Sherwood sent me. Some of the positive pathway components are very neatly installed backwards and I swear it's original. There is NO sign of tampering in those areas. I don't know what else to think. I'm wiring them like the schematic says. I don't know why somebody else would do the mods that were done unless something was wrong in the first place and I find it hard to believe that Westlake would let them go if they weren't right :banghead: I know mid production changes get made and yada yada yada. My experience says when all else fails, go back to basics. I'll follow the schematic. When I have them both done, I'll listen and decide from there. Thank you for the encouragement and support.:bouncy:

Wired by a dyslexic maybe???:blink:

norealtalent
12-19-2005, 01:19 PM
Love them pics...jealous

Ian

Personal visits are strongly encouraged http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif I love to share my JBL's. I have also been known to ship to Australia when asked nicely http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/wink.gif (hint)http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/bouncy.gif

norealtalent
12-19-2005, 01:21 PM
[QUOTE=norealtalent]

Wired by a dyslexic maybe???:blink:

No, just using a left handed schematic :banghead: :biting: :)

Zilch
12-19-2005, 01:29 PM
I always assumed they were just a pair of 4311/L100's. Wrong: they actually sound pretty good.4411's are very nice and somewhat rare, actually.

A good find, yep, yup.... :thmbsup:

Neoman
12-19-2005, 06:29 PM

Well I never new about the outside foam mount trick until reading about it previously on this site. I have OCS to thank for the re foam on my 4313's
alas it is a nice job indeed. I do agree though the foam done stock looks much better and sounds?

Can you believe it the instructions still recomend you mount your foam on the outside of driver. Think I got it right this time:banghead: on the Summits.

Neoman:biting:

mixsit
12-20-2005, 01:17 AM
I found out a dear friend and musician companion has had this pair of 4311WXA's stashed away in his garage -he had them out in a yard sale at one point for $40 bucks for crying out loud! (No way to treat any JBL in my book.:scold: :D

Now they're safe and warm, and doing alt-duties here in the home studio, Dept. of Too Much Fun. Actually, they sound rather a bit bizarre. But we love them non-the less.:applaud:

Wayne

edgewound
12-20-2005, 09:12 AM
Now they're safe and warm, and doing alt-duties here in the home studio, Dept. of Too Much Fun. Actually, they sound rather a bit bizarre. But we love them non-the less.:applaud:

Wayne

Maybe the woofers....or something....connected out-of-phase?

toddalin
12-20-2005, 10:09 AM
When OCS redid the foams on my 12" woofers in my RSL 3300s (L112 unclones), they also attached the foams to the front of the cones (as opposed to the rears where they were originally attached). If they were JBLs I would have confirmed that the foams would be on the backs or they wouldn't have touched them.

neonman
12-20-2005, 11:50 AM
This was about 30 years ago, as I recall there were three Shearer horn setups in a movie theater that was being demolished. Since I was in college and living in a small travel trailer, I had to leave the cabinets behind. It was a situation of "take them now, tomorrow the building will be gone..." Here's a picture of what they were... http://www.audioheritage.org/images/lmco/photos/products/shearer/shearer1.jpg

I did end up with 6 Lansing 415 15"s and 3 Lansing 287 drivers along with the 1505 tar-filled horns. Also the field coil power supplies. All free. My "friend" managed to fry the voice coil of one of the 287's, which I'd like to get fixed, but all the other components work fine.

My goal is to build cabinets that will do them justice.

Jim

norealtalent
12-20-2005, 12:27 PM
This was about 30 years ago, as I recall there were three Shearer horn setups in a movie theater that was being demolished. Since I was in college and living in a small travel trailer, I had to leave the cabinets behind. It was a situation of "take them now, tomorrow the building will be gone..." Here's a picture of what they were... http://www.audioheritage.org/images/lmco/photos/products/shearer/shearer1.jpg

I did end up with 6 Lansing 415 15"s and 3 Lansing 287 drivers along with the 1505 tar-filled horns. Also the field coil power supplies. All free. My "friend" managed to fry the voice coil of one of the 287's, which I'd like to get fixed, but all the other components work fine.

My goal is to build cabinets that will do them justice.

Jim

OK That beats the $100 L300's hands down!:bouncy:

Ian Mackenzie
12-20-2005, 01:38 PM
Dave,

Interesting layout of the crossovers, but an ingenuis design.

My guess is that unless there are wires cut or loose the crossover is probably okay.

What they did is proprietry design so I don't want to elaborate on the public forums. It reminds me of project May but much more advanced..it came form outa space............they probably spent years perfecting this. If you post some images back to Westake they would probably be able to confirm if it looks ex factory. Most techs remember what job they worked on and something like this would be burned into memory!

Ian

norealtalent
12-20-2005, 02:16 PM
Dave,

Interesting layout of the crossovers, but an ingenuis design.

My guess is that unless there are wires cut or loose the crossover is probably okay.

What they did is proprietry design so I don't want to elaborate on the public forums. It reminds me of project May but much more advanced..it came form outa space............they probably spent years perfecting this. If you post some images back to Westake they would probably be able to confirm if it looks ex factory. Most techs remember what job they worked on and something like this would be burned into memory!

Ian

Thanks Ian, I interpret that as "no tweaking advised." With some help from those much more knowledgeable, I figured out that what appeared to be backwards factory circuits indeed were factory and intentionally routed backwards of that shown on the schematic for a neater board layout. Due to the positioning within the parallel +- ac circuit, the component sequence is irrelevent provided the coil is in the middle. I knew Westlake wouldn't do that for no reason but it took at least ten minutes of explanation to wrap my brain around the concept. I'm sure I didn't explain it very well so, don't follow me, I'm lost too! :bouncy:

mixsit
12-20-2005, 08:31 PM
Maybe the woofers....or something....connected out-of-phase?
I don't suspect they would have wiring issues as he bought them new and he would not be one to work on them.
I should admit that saying they sound 'bizarre is an overstatement. More that they are more obviously colored in a way that I noticed easily -and my initial reaction -my first studio reference?;) My point of reference (Klipsch 3-ways) is fairly limited also, but I know them well. While I won't tout them as being an accurate' standard, whatever tilts' they have seem to be gradual, where I hear the 4411's dip-and-peaks -one set in upper bass/low mid, and again 2--6k'ish. Coincidentally, or maybe not :thmbsup:, pretty much as advertised by JBL.:)

Wayne Smith

Nightbrace
02-28-2006, 04:08 AM
Bought my first speakers, Altec 19's, at a garage sale, $200 bucks, which I thought was REALLY expensive! Thank my dad for telling me to buy them! Wish I knew then what I know now, he had 20 sets of speakers, mostly Altec, probably some real gems. Bought my Marantz receiver from him as well, think I paid $20 for it! I then convinced my dad to donate his L55's to me after I sold my Altec 19's to help pay for college. I used the Altecs for nearly 5 years.

After almost 2 years with the L55's I found a set of L300's, paid a staggering $900 for them, thought that was A LOT too! L55's went back to my dad. Used the profits to buy the L200B's, so technically I got them free :). Have had them for about 6 months now. Awaiting a day off work so I can get the 240Ti, we'll see how they stack up to the L200B.

I dare not mention some of the other speakers I have bought and sold.

BMWCCA
02-28-2006, 09:39 AM
Apologies in advance if this is too long-winded: :blah:
Not really a "newbie" here (apparently your first post becomes your "join date" rather than your registration date); my first JBL ownership experience goes back about 45 years. I grew up in a house with a (mono) 030 system my Dad bought my Mom for their anniversary when I was about two. I'd say around 1955. It was in a plywood cabinet roughly the size and shape of a C35, brown grille, unfinished, beveled edges. My memory wants to say it once said Kraftmaid or something like that on it before Mom stained it "walnut". Anyway, when stereo came, my Mom decided to replace the JBL, Miracord, Pilot system and Dad bought a Fisher 400, Gerard, Fisher-speaker system. Mom decided the old mono stuff should go to the Goodwill.

So, I was about ten and dragged the JBL down the hall to my room and hid it in my clothes closet under my shirts. When Mom asked what happened to it I told the truth, begged, maybe cried, and she let me keep it, along with the ELAC and Pilot. Well I had no records as such so for a while I played the JBL using a cut-up earphone cord out of my Channel Master transistor radio, opening the closet door to hear it, and believe it or not it sounded pretty good. I eventually hooked up the table and amp ("volume" and "loudness" confused me for a while with no manual) and eventually got old enough to learn what I had rescued. I went to the store where my Dad had bought all the stuff (Hi-Fi Showroom, Clayton Rd. St. Louis) and priced the components to build another 030. I believe they were about $400 even back then which must have been around 1969. I started building my own version of a 4333 monitor box and waited for the components. One day I went in to Hi-Fi Showroom to check on my order and they had a C37 trade-in with the 030 system from a mono system. I asked what they wanted for it and they told me $125 and they'd cancel my component order (they probably never even placed the order). Of course I bought it.

For a while the 030s were powered by a Kenwood receiver until one 075 quit. I sent it to JBL in California and when it was returned they'd included a note suggesting I check my amp for a "high frequency oscillation", but did not charge for the new voice coil. This was about 1970. I took the Kenwood to Hi-Fi Fo Fum <G> and traded it on a used McIntosh C20 and Fisher SA-1000. The C-20 was $110 and the SA-1000 $90. Don't recall what the Kenwood brought. Worked great until the SA's tubes needed replacing and I was told RCA didn't make them anymore as they only fit the SA-1000. So I swapped the Fisher even-up for a Crown D-150 at Hi-Fi Showroom around March 1974. Even then they told me it woud go into their Audio Antique collection. The Crown cost $399 and they "gave" me $120 for the Fisher I'd paid $90 for four years earlier. Yeah, you don't have to tell me what an SA-1000 is worth now!! (The only consolation is I still have the C-20.)

So, I still have my first JBL. It cost me nothing. It's nearly as old as I am, and it's lived in my home all it's life. It now shares duties, along with it's trade-in friend, with a pair of L112s I bought my wife for our third anniversary, and the "new" L150As I just bought with the help of this forum group. I still have the original "face-less" D-150, a "new" D150A-II, another used one, and a DC300A-II which currently tickles the 030s but will power the L-150s after I complete the re-foam job.

So, a pair of 030s in mis-matched cabs for $125. And I've got two empty C35s waiting to house the "original" 030 systems. Hope I didn't burn too much bandwidth rambling. A prerogative of age, I suppose.

-Phil

leif
02-28-2006, 10:58 AM
My best JBL find was the two nice 077 tweeters that i actually found on the garbage dump while throwing some garden garbage.
My best JBL purchase must be the two 4430 I have now, that I gave about 800 US dollars to get.
And the B460 that I bought some years ago for about the same price.

Leif

Izzy Weird
02-28-2006, 11:05 AM
Not a JBL find but a Lansing find, does that count?

I was in the Navy on an aircraft carrier. When we showed movies in hanger bay one, we used a cheap Bogen amplifier and two awful EV CDP fiberglass paging horns. The hanger bay was an echo chamber anyway, and it was hard to understand the movie’s dialogue.

We had pulled into a Navy base south of downtown Boston, where there was a big Navy surplus facility. From way across the warehouse I thought I could see what was a grey multi-cellular horn. I wandered over and by golly it was a complete Altec A7 Voice of the Theater in great condition.

Even with the cheap Bogen amplifier, this was a major improvement in the sound for the crew’s movie. I caught a bit of flack from the hanger bay crew because they couldn’t find a place to store the thing, but everyone appreciated the improvement in movie sound.

Izzy

Maron Horonzakz
02-28-2006, 01:31 PM
BMWCCA.....I too remember Hi Fi ShowRoom in Clayton. John Marshall (owner) Has since left this world. He was a generous man. When I was biulding my paragon cabinet. He orderd the front legs from JBL for the project. After it was completed I displayed it in his showroom for a few months, out of gratitude.... One of his employies (Walt) Had bought a Paragon for himself. He couldnt tell the difference between the two. I wonder what happend to him & his Paragon.

JBL Dog
02-28-2006, 09:45 PM
What did you burn the components with? I have a bunch of NOS LE15A's and 375's (red wax seals intact) that I want to burn.

Oh my! Don't tease me about NOS LE15A's destined for the incinerator..... I could sure use a nice set of 16 ohm-ers if anyone has a set.

:D

HWF
05-30-2006, 05:51 PM
Picked them up at a flea market for $10.00. The cabinets are in ruff shape and missing one grill. They do sound perfect.:applaud:

lpd
06-02-2006, 08:16 AM
JBL 4333's at a local thrift for $100.00. Intact and completely original. I also traded them for a pair fo L250's of which I felt was an upgrade!!!

RetreatWI
06-02-2006, 10:33 AM
I picked up a large pair of speakers that had a round JBL dial on the back at a thrift store for $75. It was my first vintage JBL sighting so I didn't know anything about JBL. Upon further research, I found it has the S1 package inside. The cabinets will look really good when refinished.

Bill F.
07-18-2006, 12:22 PM
About four years ago, I bought an Electro-Voice Patrician IV for $65 at a rummage sale. All original, only minor finish issues here and there. I sold it about 6 months later, and the proceeds paved my driveway, bought a new 4-piece living room set, and provided all the seed money I needed to keep my audio hobby off the family budget to date.:)

Steve Schell
07-26-2006, 10:50 PM
Fortune smiled on me today. No JBL components, but I've got to blab about my score anyway.

Two days ago an old friend and fellow piano technician called out of the blue. He had just looked at a piano for sale, and the owner had pointed to two large loudspeakers and said that they were free for the taking. The speakers had belonged to a deceased relative, the property had been sold and the family was trying to clear the place out. My friend couldn't take them (SAF issues), but he thought I might be interested.

I asked my friend to describe the speakers, but I could not identify them based on our conversation. He described them as "gigantic", and said that one had a large green Altec horn in front and the other was similar but contained Jensen components. I contacted the owner, and arranged to visit this morning. The location was about 35 miles away.

When I arrived I was taken to the room where they were located, on the back of the property. I was delighted to find two Jensen Imperial utility corner enclosures! They were both home built examples, mismatched in appearance, but of the same external dimensions and general construction.These enclosures are large hyperbolic back loaded horns, shaped to be placed in a corner, and can be used in either of two orientations (like an Altec 825). When fitted with the G-610 Triaxial driver, the horn mouth is located at the floor. When fitted with the separate three way system components, the horn mouth is at the top with the midrange horn and tweeter located in the mouth. These systems were both configured mouth up.

One appeared to be fitted with the typical Jensen Imperial three way system components: RP-302 tweeter, RP-201 midrange horn and driver, 15" woofer. The other one had once used the Jensen pieces, but they had been removed and been replaced with Altec components: 511A horn with 802D driver, N500D crossover, and what appeared to be an accordian edge Altec 15" woofer. The Altec horn had been grafted into the Imperial enclosure in an unusual but craftsmanlike manner. The horn is fitted with the flange flush to the cabinet and just below the bass horn mouth. The horn travels through what is ordinarily a wasted space in the box, with the horn throat and driver protruding into the bass horn path behind.

The owner wouldn't take anything for the speakers, and refused my offer to come back and help the family move from the residence. It took two round trips to bring the speakers home, as only one would fit into my small station wagon.

This afternoon I opened the enclosures up to clean, identify components and tighten hardware. The one with the Jensen parts has the correct P-15LL woofer; the other one has a green Altec 416A woofer. I've only taken a quick listen to them so far, but everything works and sounds good. The bass sounds quite impressive- in a room with good corners and the horn mouths located at the floor it should really be something.

Titanium Dome
07-27-2006, 10:08 AM
You must be feeling good about this, and you really did help the family by taking them, too. That's win-win-win.

1. Saved some vintage gear.
2. Acquired some vintage gear.
3. Helped a family solve a disposal problem.

The karmic wheel is running deep in your direction. :yes:

Steve Schell
07-27-2006, 12:21 PM
Thanks, TD. I still feel funny about accepting a pile of good equipment for free from strangers, but they really did just want them gone. My burden of gear and space shortage is now greater, not that I am complaining!

glen
07-27-2006, 06:14 PM
Thanks, TD. I still feel funny about accepting a pile of good equipment for free from strangers... not that I am complaining!

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, and the equipment couldn't have ended up in better hands! It's just your good karma catching up with you.
Congrats!

Phil H
07-27-2006, 09:32 PM
Steve,
If you still have that funny feeling, you could call them, tell them how pleased you are, and ask if they have a favorite charity. Since they won't except money, you could donate something to a good cause.

JBLnsince1959
07-28-2006, 05:50 AM
Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, and the equipment couldn't have ended up in better hands! It's just your good karma catching up with you.
Congrats!

I agree....congrads on your score..:applaud:

Storm
07-28-2006, 11:30 AM

Just a couple weeks ago I found a pair of JBL L100 Century's at Savers Thrift Store here in Phoenix.

Price was $27.02 including tax.

Both are in very good condition, no original grilles.

Only problem is both tweeters are not working. They are currently being looked at by Dyna-Tronics here in Phoenix, Az.

Can't wait to get them back and listen to them.

I know it is not finding a Paragon of L300's for $100, but I think it was still a good deal.

:p

hmolwitz
07-28-2006, 01:39 PM
4311b with beaten, rotted and gnawed cabinets, and 5 out of 6 domes pushed in, $61, sound great given to a friend at cost for karmic purposes.

Zilch
07-28-2006, 01:50 PM
SO, it really DOESN'T affect the sound.

[I jus' KNEW it! :p ]

sledchick
07-30-2006, 08:56 AM
I live in the sticks and just got my fabulous slow speed internet in my home, so I dont know if I got a deal or not. Found a set of 4430s in a church. I have actually sung through them,Played sax through them, basiclly knew them before buying them but hadnt seen them for a few years.Someone had been using them for a stand and the topsof the cabinets are a little scratched but after replacing the driver in one of the horns, they sound great strategically placed on each side of my piano. We really rock!!! Oh yeah, paid 700 canadian. My daughter did better though. Gave her the L112s that the 4430s replaced.

Titanium Dome
07-30-2006, 10:04 AM
I live in the sticks and just got my fabulous slow speed internet in my home, so I dont know if I got a deal or not. Found a set of 4430s in a church. I have actually sung through them,Played sax through them, basiclly knew them before buying them but hadnt seen them for a few years.Someone had been using them for a stand and the topsof the cabinets are a little scratched but after replacing the driver in one of the horns, they sound great strategically placed on each side of my piano. We really rock!!! Oh yeah, paid 700 canadian. My daughter did better though. Gave her the L112s that the 4430s replaced.

In fact, welcome both to the Internet and to Lansing Heritage. Both are wonderful places to explore.

I also have a pair of 4430s, but I paid $1200 US for them. I put them in my office, which is fairly large. They're very nice speakers, and, as you say, they can really rock. Congrats!

Wayne
07-31-2006, 10:32 PM
L26 Decade's for $20, found at a clients home back in the late 80's. I had just finished installing a Pioneer surround system when he commented that the JBL's sounded horrible when compared with the Pioneer's, a quick listen & no wonder with blown Tweeters. Fixed Tweeters, very impressed with sound, was a Yamaha buff untill then as we were thier repair agents. Reluctantly sold them to a mates brother in law for $1000 after having them for a while & you wouldnt believe it but that same mate handed them back to me minus the boxes & in need of some major T.L.C on my last visit to Queensland 15yrs later. I quess me & the Decade's were meant to be togeather. Have nearly completed new boxes, rerolls etc, I will never part with these again.
Cheers Wayne. :applaud:

dc4all
08-09-2006, 04:24 PM
Today! I bought a pair of L220's for $75 at the Salvation Army. Now I've got to bring my truck to lug 'em home....

Titanium Dome
08-10-2006, 06:24 AM
Today! I bought a pair of L220's for $75 at the Salvation Army. Now I've got to bring my truck to lug 'em home....

Cool find! What's their condition?

Just enter "L220" in the search box and you'll find lots of info. Our resident L220 expert, Steve Gonzales, can tell you everything you need to know about L220s.

JBLnsince1959
08-10-2006, 08:24 AM

WOW, great score:applaud: ....welcome to the forum..

Bob Womack
08-11-2006, 09:01 AM
New to the forum. My best score was a pair of near-mint UREI 811cs for $100, which is about what one grille originally cost. A nearby studio needed to empty its storage space and I happened along at the right moment. I was there when these particular speakers were uncrated at the facility and there again when they were replaced with Genlec 1032a's. They spent their first life in a control room that had maximum volume restrictions that prevented abuse so they came to me as well broken in.

Now if I could just find some grilles! The tent sale is long over...

Bob

JBL Dog
08-11-2006, 09:37 AM
Now if I could just find some grilles! The tent sale is long over...

Bob

Welcome, Bob!

Yup, and the grilles were about $10 in the tent :(

Wayne
08-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Welcome, Bob!

Still waiting for my official welcome, Boo Hoo :(
Been floating around since June.

Oh Well.

Mr. Widget
08-11-2006, 10:32 AM

Oh Well.Didn't you get the memo? We don't officially welcome people from Down Under. You are certainly welcome here though.:D

Widget

JBL Dog
08-11-2006, 10:32 AM
:wave:

Oh Well.

Welcome Wayne! :wave:

Zilch
08-11-2006, 10:49 AM
Morbo! is the Aussie greeter.

[Warn the neighbors, tho.... :p ]

Oh, and bookmark this page:

http://www.acay.com.au/~jbartok/welcome.html

Wayne
08-11-2006, 10:54 AM
:wave:

Welcome Wayne! :wave:

Well Thank-you Mr Widget & JBL Dog :D

I was just having a dig, have spent lots of hours enjoying this forum & hope to be around for some time, besides I've nearly finished the full rebuild of my L26 Decade's & want to rack your guys brains on my next project, was thinking the L100 or maybe some of the pro-series. I can build the cabinets no problem but sourcing the components on e-bay & there cost will no doubt have a major influence, thanks again for the welcome.
Cheers Wayne. :cheers:

Bob Womack
08-11-2006, 12:25 PM
Welcome, Bob!

Thanks for the warm welcome!!!

Bob

analogman
08-11-2006, 01:56 PM
My near mint, 001 Apollos
$30.00 at a local thrift
Analogman
P. S. Lots more but NOT JBL; have since sold EVERYTHING NON-JBL except for a pair of Heresys I gave my Son and a pristine pair of ARs I restored for nostalgia's sake that I just gave my 14 year old Daughter. The ARs are nice for a kid that listens to "alternative" in a small space; AFTER they received new woofers and Solens. That project was spurred on by memories of those old black and white ads in Playboy with Miles and the like. Could never sell them for what I had in them plus she's very happy.

analogman
08-11-2006, 02:09 PM
Truth be told, my "best" JBL find was this Forum; that applies to my internet "finds" as well.
People here, ALL total strangers, have given me help and shown me generosity I would never have thought possible in these times. Most notably, Hamilton, Zilch, JBL Dog, and Giskard. This is not a sin of omission, there are many others, but the knowledge is so abundant, and free flowing, it would take forever to type and or read.
Analogman

Ian Mackenzie
08-11-2006, 03:49 PM
I think my best find is part historical and also recent.

Some 10 years ago I found a pair of mint 2397 JBL Smith horns in a PA second hand dealers warehouse. That got me the JBL bug..again. I used them for some years and then sold them for about twice what I paid for them to someone in the USA.

My next lucky find was in 2000 with the discovery of the 3134/35 network schematics C/- JBL technical help before they were public domain.

The other day I was walking past a Pro shop and I found a mint pair of JBL 2307 horns and 2308 lenses.

Some days I love my Job!!

LRBacon
08-11-2006, 07:18 PM
I purchased a pair of L110s at a Jafco store in Olympia for $130 a piece in 1982.http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif They were demos and had been marked down 10% per week for several weeks. There were no boxes and the dust caps on the midranges were dented as well as one dome tweeter.http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon9.gif They sounded great then and still do. http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif I have now aquired two more pairs of L110s and a pair of empty L110 enclosures all via eBay. I plan on obtaining all the drivers and X-over networks and installing them.

Larry

dgorshe
08-11-2006, 09:36 PM
I replied to an ad on craigslist that was described as a yamaha reciever and "big honkin speakers" I sent him an email inquiring about the speakers and it ends up they were JBL L-166's. Price was 60 bucks and the only down side was they were painted green, But for sound quality they performed flawlessly. Well that was my best find, so far anyways

cary
08-12-2006, 08:36 AM
I did some work for a friend, he knew I was into audio equipment, and gave me a pair of 4312A's in great condition.

Cary

Alan Fletcher
08-12-2006, 07:26 PM
Well, my best "JBL find" was a pair of mint condition S/99 Lancers with consecutive serial numbers and the original JBL packaging, at a tag sale. Freshly reconed LE14a's not even broken in. Crappy recone job but with a little TLC they are fine, kinda ugly but function flawlessly.

Driving my usual route to work one day, those big cardboard boxes with the giant orange JBL logo caught my eye and I immediately pulled over to investigate, to hell with being late for work (although I was conveniently running early that particular morning).

Kinda pissed me off that they had taken one of them out of its box and set it out on the driveway, where many idiots then moved it around scratching the hell out of the bottom of the enclosure. For that kind of money, though, who really cares? Yeah, I do care, because it was senseless, but what are you gonna do?

$40 USD the pair. I also picked up several vintage receivers for 5 bucks.

-A

Mudder
08-14-2006, 06:28 AM
I used to get a mail order catalog that sold electronics and just about everything else under the sun. They had some LC312-1's listed and they were so cheap (can't remember) that when I called I asked the lady if that was for a pair or each speaker. She said pair, so I ordered 2 sets. A week later the catalog came out and they had changed it to each. :) Knew nothing about these speakers but they sound ok, along with my L36's. I sold one set to a friend.

jleblanc
08-15-2006, 10:29 AM
a paid of L36s for $10 at a garage sale
L-150As for $250 on craigslist.

Ducatista47
08-19-2006, 07:45 PM
This score is not mine. Yesterday, I think it was, a local fellow paid ten dollars each for a pair of Jubals. They need the usual work, but are complete and look pretty good. It was the buzz today at the local audio shop.:blink:

While I was in the shop, one of the owners was opening an Ampex rtr I saw him buy Thursday in Bloomington at a Public Radio fund raiser (donated music and gear) for five dollars. It contained five Telefunken tubes that tested vg to excellent. They'll get $250-500 on eBay.

Clark in Peoria

kbott
08-20-2006, 04:45 AM
I picked these up at a garage sale for $7. From looking at other threads I believe they're C-38 Lowboys. They have a 16 Ohm D-130 in each cabinet. They need a little refinishing, but otherwise in pretty good shape

my current speaker are L-100T's that I got in Germany back in the mid 80's

norealtalent
08-20-2006, 05:01 AM
Excellent score kbott and welcome. Would you show a pic of one of the legs including the foot? I've never seen stock legs in brass before but that is indeed what they look like. :thmbsup:

Baron030
08-20-2006, 09:59 AM
I picked these up at a garage sale for $7. From looking at other threads I believe they're C-38 Lowboys. They have a 16 Ohm D-130 in each cabinet. They need a little refinishing, but otherwise in pretty good shape

For $7, that like steal! Congratulations on your great find.

You may want to start looking for a pair of 075/2402 bullets on E-Bay to turn that steal into a complete system. And you will also need a pair of N2400 crossovers. But the N2400s are a very easily DIY project.

Congratulations, Kbott :bouncy:

Baron030

kbott
08-20-2006, 10:28 AM
thanks for the advice baron from hooking them up initially i did notice they needed a little more than just the one speaker and heaven knows there's enough room in the cabinet. Though I may have to move to be actually able to use them

When I bought them I didn't know they were JBL's but the cabinets just seemed real solid and put together I was really after the office chair for $5 so I figured if the speakers were a bust I could live with the chair for $12

I wish I had a picture of me driving home in my Galant stuffed to the gills with the chair knocking me in the head :o:

John
08-20-2006, 11:00 AM
The woofers in those cabinets are JBL but I do not think the cabinets are?
They look like very nice DIY versions.:D

Zilch
08-20-2006, 11:35 AM
Jeez, those are beautiful.

What a SCORE!! :thmbsup:

capo72
09-12-2006, 01:51 PM
Hi all, 1st post just joined the forum and i've been doing alot of reading. I'm a Klipsch freak and i'm usually on their forum.
Anyway My aunt manages a large storage facility and she ends up with alot of delinquent storage units. She always saves the electronics and speakers and gives them to me.
Sunday I visited her and came home with a pick-up truck load full of equipment. The most interesting thing being a pair of JBL c38's one cabinet is in pretty rough shape, the other is decent with a few veneer chips and scratches. They have the d123's and 075's in them. I have not listened to them yet because i've been sorting through the other stuff. Got a couple of Pioneer silver face late 70's receivers also. I'll probably mess with them tonight and snap some pics.
Nice forum you have here, maybe i'll stick around a while!

Jeremy

Titanium Dome
09-12-2006, 02:39 PM
Congrats on your good fortune. All my aunts ever gave me were lectures and cod liver oil. :barf:

We'd love to see pictures. :yes:

SEAWOLF97
09-12-2006, 04:34 PM
pair L100 - $4
pair L26 - $10
pair L36 - $5

all only needed grill cloth replacement

all at GW

capo72
09-13-2006, 06:41 AM
Here are the pics of my newly aquired c-38's. I tried them out last night, and the bad news is both 075 tweeters don't work. I pulled them out and checked with ohm meter and they both have open voltage. They also appear to be corroded around the outside ring (magnet?) it's a white powdery substance.
So where is the best place to obtain diaphrams? I see a seller on e-bay has them for $34 each. Are the aftermarket ones any good? Does JBL still sell them? Thanx for any info.

Jeremy

Mr. Widget
09-13-2006, 09:27 AM
Very cool find... yes the diaphragms are still available from JBL. Replacing diaphragms in the JBL ring radiators is a little tricky. You may want to have them professionally installed. Using original JBL diaphragms (the best way to go) and having them installed will cost you in the neighborhood of $200-$250. The pair of diaphragms alone will cost around $200.

Widget

Zilch
09-13-2006, 09:37 AM
Capo, those are very beautiful, and will clean up nicely.

The powdery corrosion is common with age. It's oxidation of the plating, and will wipe off.

The 075s can be restored "as new" with new diaphragms and cleaning the parts.

I use a ScotchBrite metal polishing pad on the metal parts.

ironman
10-10-2006, 07:43 PM
Bought first pair JBL's in '78 - L-110's, with a JVC amp. and turntable as a package deal at a local hi fi shop. The
set up was returned when some guy whose tax return didn't add up to what he thought it would be. The L-110's were inscribed with numbers for police ID if they were ever stolen. I think I paid $ 900.00 for the whole set up. Hey, I was 24 and had "the fever" (for anything JBL) after hearing my best friends new Jubals (I think they were Jubals). My grandmother had passed away and left me $1,200.00. My father went ballistic when he heard how I was planning to spend the money - quite the family squabble at the time (sorry dad). After I got my way I brought the entire set up directly to mom & dads so they could actually hear what I was raving about. Up until then I think the highest end they had heard was a Sears cabinet unit. I just knew this set would blow their minds ! My mom shared with me that her Ford Pinto "sound system" sounded great to her. Anyhow, I get the thing set up, speakers angled just right for the sweet spot - wires stretched across their floor and I say "mom, get your favorite Tom Jones album, dad sit right in this chair here and close your eyes !" They both listen for a bit and my father says "very nice" but I can tell hes impatient to get back to what he was doinfg before JBL Revere stormed in the door. My mom responds "I still say I get a great sound from my little car stereo". I'm dumfounded..."did you listen ? did you close your eyes and just listen ? Didn't it sound like he was standing 10 feet in front of you singing ?" Within 10 minutes I had it all back in the boxes and heading for my apartment. On the ride home I couldn't help wonder if their age had some how affected their hearing. It was either that or they just didn't want to admit I made a wise purchase ! What did food, car insurance/payment, rent, clothing etc., mean if I had JBL's ? I lost them not 2 years later in a "break up" with my live in honey (I bought them at the same time we moved in together). She kept them until this past Christmas (25 + years later) when she decided the rotted surrounds meant they were junk - "no honey, don't toss 'em, I might be able to do something with them...:) " About 6-7 months before (last spring ?) I bought a pair of L-112's on ePay figuring the L-110's were history years ago...how was I to know ? I think I paid $175. for 'em - nice shape 'cept for the "inverted" mid dustcaps and no grilles (since have bought nice grilles). Lat summer I paid waaaaay to much for a pair of L-40's - I wasn't happy about the deal but they were in good shape - I think they cost me, all said and done, about $150.00. Well, after reading about everyone elses "Goodwill" finds etc., I began the daydream of walking into a Salvation Army and finding 4343's find for $15.00. I don't have this kind of luck so I never figured it could happen to me. I also live in an area where it is very unlikely that I'm going to find "high end" anywhere in 100 miles radius ! Then I started thinking maybe I'm just too negative - why not me ?
Several times in the last year I had the occassion to drive by the local Salvation Army (15 miles south of me)
and I made it a point to stop in. This is where I get overly optimistic ! My heart rate picks up as I pull into their lot, by the time I'm in the door and heading to the back room I've picked up my pace because I just know if I don't get back there quickly 6 other people are going to push their way past me to get to those JBL's back there that I just know are awaiting me with that $15. price tag ! Sure enough I see speakers, a head board partially blocking them, sh*t, the grilles are facing away from me - get closer quick ! The finish doesn't look exactly right, now I also notice that they are taller and too narrow I think for them to be JBL but hey, the headboard could be causing them to look that way - at last I'm upon them, I spin the one clsest to me and IT FEELS LIKE I'M SPINNING A BOX PACKED WITH STYROFOAM ! DAMN, they're Panasonics ! Back out the door feeling like the idiot that doesn't belive that "theres no such thing as a free lunch". I sulk back into my car, look at my watch to see how much time I've just wasted and head back onto the highway. I remember buying a lottery ticket for the first New York State Lottery and waking up the next day anxiously looking for my ticket to see if I was the one to win a cool 1 million ! When I discovered that I hadn't picked not a one (numbers) correctly that same feeling crept over me - a**hole, did you REALLY think you'd win a million just like that ?
I've checked back with Salvation Army a few times since - always the same luck. At least I've now got my head in the right place before I pull in to the parking lot.This past spring I attended a retirment luncheon for one of my staff. I had to park a block away from the restaurant in a space directly across from a junk shop. After the luncheon I headed to my car, noticed the shop and said
to myslef "what the hell, I have a few minutes". I head through the shop that is arranged in a horse shoe configuration. The entrance door is one of two - the other door is blocked off. I'm making my way up the first row and see nothing but pure junk electronics but note some nice old albums still sealed in cellophane. I picked up several I liked. As I turn the head of the horseshoe I spy a single speaker standing standing ontop of something that looks like a blue felt box. I can see that it looks like it could be a quality speaker but, it figures, only one ! I get to it and notice that the box it is standing on is really just another speaker with some kind of swirly blue grille cloth. As I get closer I see a very small orange tag - down boy, nah, it can't be ! Then bingo I'm close enough to see its "JBL". Ok, what JBL ? And what is the one its standing on ? I note the L-50 tag and quickly pull off the bottom grille - JBL again and matching at that ! As I'm picking through my mental roll a dex of every model I've read about on this site I start looking quickly for the price tag - I want my ducks in order before the clerk comes over and we start the horse trading. I see that they need surrounds and one grille is missing. I find the tag and it says $40.00. Before I know it the clerk is along side me asking if I'm ineterested ? I say " I see your asking $40.00 but, as you can see, these speakers are shot - look all around the bigger speakers". She says, yes, she sees it and then "I just figured someone could use them for parts or something". I say "I like seeing if I can get old things working again but they aren't worth more than $30. to me, the beat up speakers and all...and I see this one is missing the cover". She yells back over her shoulder "hey Mary, wasn't there a cover around here for this bottom speaker ?" I hear "yeah" and I'm already scowering the place for the missing grille. Then I see, over against the organ in the corner a blue patch of something. I start scooting in between her and the speakers when I remember I need to close the deal before the dude coming down the aisle behind me spies
my find. I say "I'll give you $30., hows that ?". She says
"OK". Done deal. When I get closer to the blue patch
I see that it is indeed the matching blue grille. Why it was so far from the speakers I don't know and really don't care. I pulled my car up to a now vacant spot and get 'em out to my car one at a time wondering now if they are even worth the $30. Screw it I say to myself, I just had my first JBL "find" and for $30. for anyhting JBL in this good shape how could I have gone wrong ? As I drove away I got a big sh*t eating grin on my face and realzed I just had a ball ! I was alone, no matter, no one I know these days would even understand - I knew you all would ! :applaud:

** of course I got home, got to this site and after a little bit of refreshing my memory on what drivers they were, year etc., realized what I had. Maybe only L-50's but it still made my day !

jackiegeorge
02-20-2007, 11:15 PM
i found a pair of l36 at a garage sale for $10.00 with the owners manuals hang tags and warranty reg. cards. what was wrong with them they needed new foam around the woofers. one year later i refoamed them and what a great pair of speakers they are. i love them

JohnK
02-20-2007, 11:19 PM
An oooold Klipsch horn loaded with old grey Hartsfield components.

John
02-21-2007, 01:12 AM
I would love to share some of my JBL finds with the forum but fear some would hate me:biting: Or flash me the :bs:

Titanium Dome
02-21-2007, 07:59 AM
I would love to share some of my JBL finds with the forum but fear some would hate me:biting: Or flash me the :bs:

OK John, it's all :bs: and envy :biting: after a fashion, so tell us your story. :yes:

You know you want to. :p

Fred Sanford
02-21-2007, 08:47 AM
A couple of my :bs: stories are in the "New Blood" thread, but there's a second pair of L100s coming my way for free in about a week, which puts me at:

4333As (2)
L100s (4)
L110s (2)
L46s (6)

TR225s (2)
Altec 8256 (1)

E140 (1)
E120s (2)
2135 (1)

Bonus points for anyone familiar with these:
8120 (1)
8110 (2)

Urei 6260 power amp (1)

...and all, with repairs & replacement parts, still just under $1,000 cash invested.

je

spwal
02-21-2007, 11:39 AM
i hate you guys.

Fred Sanford
02-21-2007, 01:43 PM
I enjoy tallying & re-telling the actual cash outlay for my gear, but the investment is actually life-long (and the repairs take time & effort, or barter of some sort). Even if all you're looking for is bargains, you've got to get the reputation of taking in orphans in order to be brought orphans in baskets, then you've also got to be good to the fine folks that supply you with goodies.

So much of what's come through my doors is of lower quality than the JBLs, and almost all of the JBLs have been thrashed to near-trash before they get here. It's all good, it's all fun, I learn a lot and a huge chunk of it goes to charities- beginner musicians, friends, community theaters, youth groups, etc. I just keep the ones that make me smile most. :D

je

hello9821
02-22-2007, 06:01 PM
my best find is a pair of JBL L65 Jubals with original manual. Paid $50 on CL!

plus I have a line on a pair of Aquarius Q's (L120) that i will be looking at this saturday if the weather improves.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e230/hello9821a/IMG_1200.jpg

waltband
07-06-2007, 05:06 PM
Best JBl find -- a great set of 4311B's at an estate sale $10 -- cool

majick47
07-06-2007, 06:27 PM
Yesterday I bought another pair of L100 off CL Boston for $150. Very nice condition, original owner with sales receipt, he gave me the two owners manuals and the L100 sales brochure that came with the speakers. Foam grills long gone, will need the wood inserts for the grills, already have some of Zilches JBL blue cloth. The L pads need a cleaning, a few minor scratches on the bottom of one speaker, a light sanding and reoiling should make them looking good. All drivers look/sound excellent.

57BELAIRE
07-12-2007, 08:07 AM

The vendor said he bid on the contents of a storage bin that was being auctioned off to pay delinquent fees. He had no idea of it's worth...Jamie had a clue...but not really. He was going to part it out so I figured at least I could score the enclosure and go from there.

It had all the original components (150-4c's, 375's, o75's, N400's and N7000's) It was missing the refractor panel and one rear leg.

Well, as it happened, the most unlikely person saved this Paragon....
HIS WIFE!!!! She took one look at this monster in her livingroom and said "NO WAY!!!

I jumped on the opportunity and offered him $2500...I would have gladly paid double that!...he accepted and the rest is history.

So Paragon #278 now sits proudly in my living room (most of it anyway)and is a feast for the eyes and ears for this old JBL diehard.:D

Here's the pics I received asking if I was interested in some "old JBL boxes".
( I thought they were lost)...one man's trash is another man's treasure.

WifesPissed
07-13-2007, 03:23 PM
Infinity RS-6000s at a garage sale. All they needed was four woofer refoams. I wentt back at the end of the day and he GAVE them to me. Minor water damage on the base. The acoustically suspended four 10" woofers blew me away, as did the under 2ohm impedance, which blew my Denon away a few times.

L-112s at a garage sale. Needed new surrounds. I was an Infinity guy and didn't know what the L-112s were but they were heavy, had sequential serial numbers and looked to be good quality. I offered her $15 for the pair which she gladly accepted. Refoamed them, couldn't believe how lifelike they were, promptly bought four spare 044 tweeters (now have only three), and sold my Infinitys!!! :barf:

4311B's on Craigslist for $30. Guy said they needed work. I mailed him a check and he dropped them off a month or so later (nice guy!). They look great but do not work much at all. I suspect the L Pads need work. I'll get to it later.:applaud:

CauYem
07-19-2007, 11:27 PM
Here are what I "found" for this week:

1) One 375 (in excllent condition) + One 2440 (Some paint chipped) + One H93 Horn + One Xover (all for $525.00)
2) A pair L100 (broken grills) for Free

They are in working condition!

Not bad, heh! :)

greyhound
07-20-2007, 01:30 AM
a pair of jbl xpl90's
The audioshop in town got a new owner (1993) and didnt think much of jbl. i bought them for about 30% of there worth. I was a student and it was all the money i had otherwise i would have bought the xpl200. he sold that for a 1000 guilders that was about 500 dollar?
he's out of buisness now because he thought phillips was "the bomb"

hoto
07-22-2007, 07:49 PM
Lucky me found a pair of L166 in Garage Sale (Toronto,ON,Canada), paid CAD40 and both in excellent condition except need to replace the surround.the grills in mint condition and I really like it..

WifesPissed
07-23-2007, 11:36 AM
Lucky me found a pair of L166 in Garage Sale (Toronto,ON,Canada), paid CAD40 and both in excellent condition except need to replace the surround.the grills in mint condition and I really like it..

VERY COOL!!!!!

Fangio
07-23-2007, 12:47 PM
Like them too :) - looks like remarkable clean cabs, grills and components - what a bargain. Congrats!

hoto
07-23-2007, 07:41 PM
forget to mention that I also pick-up a Home made Metragon fr Local craigslist for Cad1200 last summer. Build around 70's with 075/130D, but not using JBL N2400 crossover, I end up found one on ebay and put them back, repaint the back and it looks like this now(see attached).
Noticed that a copy not worth much money but consider it's hard to found one nowadays(at least in Toronto) and even if found one I probaly not have $ for this, I decided to jump on this and my wife not really like it (too big), but all my friends like it's look and always suprises about what JBL can do /make.(wait until they see the real one...paragon/L300/metragon..etc)I assume most of the forum member will not buy this copycat, but IMO it still one of my best found.:barf:

00Robin
07-24-2007, 06:07 AM
The rich tones of the wood and the workmanship is a piece of art. A lovely piece of furniture really. Lucky you!

gpakyle
07-25-2007, 07:50 AM
I am brand new to this site and this is my first post. I can't think of anything better to post my first time than a description of my recent find at our church flea market. I had no idea of the history or value of this speaker when I first saw it, but I am learning fast! People at the sale looked at the speaker and thought "too old and too big." I looked at it and thought "old, big, beautiful, and probably of very high quality." I believe I was correct.

The second day of our sale we put things at half price. That meant that the speaker that was originally priced at $75.00 was now for sale at $37.50. I couldn't take it any longer - I said "I'll take it!" I have since done a lot of looking on the internet and learned a lot about the speaker, including it's value. I'm starting to feel guilty! Here is what I have: (probably from 1949)

Driver: 604B
Crossover: N-1000-B
Cabinet: 605

I know the lady who gave this speaker to the church for the sale. She said she and her husband (now deceased) were given the speaker by a friend in the mid 1950's. It was just sitting in her basement not being used since her husband died about 2 years ago.

I would be interested in hearing what anyone might have to say about this speaker.

hoto
07-25-2007, 08:09 AM
Welcome....37.5 for 1 or 2 speakers??Anyways .....who care,you get a really good deals and BEAT me...:applaud:

grumpy
07-25-2007, 08:14 AM
lovely piece of history :)

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/altec/catalogs/1949.htm

search for "altec 604B" on Ebay for more examples and a bit of info
(including some 605 cabs that someone is expecting a large sum for).

-grumpy

John
07-25-2007, 06:34 PM
Those look very living room friendly, wish I had a pair.:applaud:

00Robin
07-25-2007, 07:29 PM
right place,right time...

gpakyle
07-27-2007, 07:48 AM
In response to "Hoto", the $37.50 was for just one 604-B with the N-1000-B crossover and 605 cabinet. How I wish I had two! Now I don't know what to do with this one really nice speaker and cabinet I would love to hear from others what they might do with such a "find." I am considering selling it, but I'm not totally convinced that I want to. Any thoughts, suggestions or comments would be most appeciated.

brutal
07-27-2007, 09:05 AM

jacob360
07-27-2007, 09:07 PM
I was visiting the Goodwill warehouse, which I refer to as the "mother ship" (it supplies all of the outlet stores) - and picked up a pair of L100 Centurys for $15. Drivers are perfect. I refinished the cabinets, added some Guilford speaker cloth and they are working and looking great. Also picked up a pair of well cared for L77s at an estate sale for $10. Persistance pays!

hoto
07-30-2007, 07:36 PM
I finally get my first 434X , it is an orginal 4344 and I just pick them up this morning, The orginal owner brought them in Koera and shipped to here(Toronto) 2 yrs ago, the family decided to go back to Koera tomorrow and put this for sale locally.
I check the speakers last week and finally get it for CAD 3K, fr the orginal asking price of 4K.
http://toronto.craigslist.org/ele/381846384.html
It's in great shape and I test it at their home setup with AV amp and seems work excellent. Only a very small dent/pinsize hole on the 2122H which just on the paper cone(not on the center cone-picture will provide later and need advise on this minor repair, thinking to just use a type at the back of the cone, any suggestion is welcome) .
The family move back to Korea tomorrow and they listed this for sale on the last minutes, I can offer them a lower amount but you never know if someone will get it for a better offering price....I actually searching a 434X model locally for last few years but it is hard to find one here. Most of them located in US and shipping/tax (14%) just too much.
I am so happy with this purchase and I empty my back a/c for this but I believe I make a right decision.
Will post more pic later....

00Robin
07-30-2007, 07:56 PM
In response to "Hoto", the $37.50 was for just one 604-B with the N-1000-B crossover and 605 cabinet. How I wish I had two! Now I don't know what to do with this one really nice speaker and cabinet I would love to hear from others what they might do with such a "find." I am considering selling it, but I'm not totally convinced that I want to. Any thoughts, suggestions or comments would be most appeciated.

I would LOVE to buy that boy. I just wonder where the other fellow is? I'm in Michigan about 150 miles away I think, or so. What do you want to do with that? Do you have a set of others you use or what?
I'm sitting on a set of Altec VOTTS,the green 15" in two giant walnut stained cabinets and they are fantastic,but that cabinet of yours is a work of art.

j20056
08-19-2007, 12:38 PM
A pair of 4350's at a pro-sound installer in Long Island City, NY for $2,000 in 1995. Cabs were structurally sound, needed refursbishing, and got the bass drivers reconed. They're still by main speakers. I'm currently awaiting new filters from Giskard/Riessen, otherwise they sound great.

Audiobeer
10-05-2007, 10:34 PM

Those are my favorite also......all 28 of them!:bouncy:

duramaxxx
10-06-2007, 01:30 PM
I read a listing on Craigslist in DC for a set of JBL L200's FREE. I quickly replied and said I could pick them up. I was shocked at first to just read this. I was even more shocked to get a call less than 5 minutes later and the gentleman said they were mine. I live more than 100 miles away from there but less than 2 hours lates I was a proud owner of a very nice set. All original.

hjames
10-06-2007, 03:16 PM
I read a listing on Craigslist in DC for a set of JBL L200's FREE. I quickly replied and said I could pick them up. I was shocked at first to just read this. I was even more shocked to get a call less than 5 minutes later and the gentleman said they were mine. I live more than 100 miles away from there but less than 2 hours lates I was a proud owner of a very nice set. All original.

Thats a stunning deal - congrats!

clubman
10-06-2007, 06:23 PM
2 JBL 2240H sub woofers, left in a friends rental house and he had no use for them so he gave them to me for free....one needed a recone but still way worth it.

Not JBL but still a awsome find....found a Pioneer Elite VSX09TX in a trash pile driving home one night from school. Replaced the power trans. and it fired right up.

JBL D130's in a family memebers atic allong with the LE175s

jblbgw_man
10-06-2007, 06:51 PM
My best find was my mint pair of 4315's for 3 cases of beer :D just when I thought my luck was run out. They are in the same section and a couple of posts down if you want to check out the pics.

Harkness
10-08-2007, 01:57 AM
love these great stories!

about 8 years ago i scored my pride and joy JBL system from a local hall. at the time i wasn't aware of the magnitude of my find, but i definitely knew i liked old JBL, so was ready with my cash.

for my $250 i got:
2 piano black C40 Harkness cabinets each loaded with...
a 150-4C, a 375 attached to a bent horn mounted in the mouth of the low frequency horn and N400 crossovers.

the bad news was that 1 of the 375 drivers had been blown, and the cabinets had been scraped up having been dragged around the stage in this particular hall, and had lost their feet at some point.

after researching my score and joining the original Lansing Heritage site, forum member Oldmics sold me a pair of correct 16 ohm aluminum diaphragms, of which i still have one as a spare, and the system sits in my living room with the 375's driving some nice 2397 smith horns. i added a pair of alnico 2405 slot tweeters as well. everyone who hears this setup is amazed, and i am so blessed to have found these amazing sounding components for a price i could afford!

65chevyII
10-08-2007, 08:26 PM
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t42/65chevyII/DSCN2583.jpg
I got these altecs for $200

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t42/65chevyII/SL730593.jpg
I got these JBL's for $400

Both these came from a flea market dealer that just happend to mention that her son has some large speakers for sale. I will be back next week to get his Cornwalls for $300.

lgvenable
10-10-2007, 06:08 PM
at a garage sale for 10.00, the lady said they were hubbies old "garage speakers"

got em for 2 fins.
Larry

coffeecup
11-07-2007, 09:22 PM
I didnt read through all the posts, but i might have the best score. I went into a salvation army and found a black pair of sovereign I's. They had a price of $50 each, but i came on the 1/2 off day, so i got the pair for $50. Everything inside was perfect, and everything had wax seals. I took great pictures, and offered the components on ebay, with the option of picking up or delivery of the cabs. I sold them for $2900 to a guy in L.A. who was so stoked when we showed up...i wish i had kept those pics, as it's almost unbelievable.

Vintage Nut
11-13-2007, 05:41 PM
I'm not sure if this counts because the deal is widely available to everyone right now on ebay: two pair of L830s direct from JBL shipped to my door for $380. Yeah, they're small and "remanufactured", but the exact ones are listed on JBL's website for $455 as remanufactured or $650 new for one pair. And that's before tax and shipping. The lowest I found with Google was $329, but I don't know if I trust some of those places. Mine came in new packaging and appear to be new - can't find a single thing wrong with them - and have a full factory warranty. So, that's like 60% off (or 70% off of new.)

Oh yeah, they both feature consecutive serials. (Yoo Hoo!)

Still looking for some 250Ti to show up in the local Nifty Nickel. :D

Almost forgot: Picked up a new pair of 120Tis and a new Sony TSR-GX60ES in 1991 for $900. The speaker stands and monster cable was thrown in for free. Not too bad, considering how much enjoyment they continue to provided.

short_circutz
12-05-2007, 12:37 PM
A pair of 2242 w/o cabinets for free from a local bar. They didn't wanna pay to get them reconed, and they replaced them with a couple of speakers from a Yorkville elite sub.

I just have to finish my new cabinets for them.

SEAWOLF97
12-05-2007, 12:43 PM
Beautiful pair of L-166A's - Horizons that only needed surrounds - $5/pr.

macaroonie
12-05-2007, 02:27 PM
:applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::appl aud::applaud::applaud:

SEAWOLF97
12-05-2007, 02:44 PM
$5 wow..... End of thread really

End of thread ?? naw , I enjoy reading about other members finds too, makes me try harder..

the funny part of it was that I had just sold the 4412's for $500 and I like the L-166's as well if not better.
(but it did take 3 days of detailing to get them to where I wanted them) :D

and my friend had got a pair of L-166's there just 2 months earlier for $10/pr. ...my deal was only $5 better..:o:

reglued grills
repaired grill posts
resurrounded and rotated LFs
glued T nuts
pulled the twist locks and replaced w/gold 5 ways
veneer light sanding and refinish
flat black touch up to baffle
treated black grills that were grey when I bought them
etc..etc.

macaroonie
12-05-2007, 05:24 PM
:p

LRBacon
12-06-2007, 09:33 AM
Hey SEAWOLF97, how about a shot of those L166's with grilles off?

Larry

SEAWOLF97
12-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Hey SEAWOLF97, how about a shot of those L166's with grilles off?

Larry

I've only got this 1 On and 1 OFF shot ...but they both kinda look same-same. :D ( and since this shot, I rotated the LF's 180 to combat any-maybe spider sag - they are at least 27 y.o.)

RacerXX
12-06-2007, 07:57 PM
How about 5 2360a horns + 5 2446j comp. drivers for $ 227.00 ? Don't have any current photos, but I've got all the horns cleaned up and re-painted now. My better half is getting me diaphragms for x-mas. :applaud:In case you're wondering....... the horns in this picture are just sitting on (or rather in....) the 210 VOTT cabinets. That's a 61" Mitsubishi TV in the middle.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/RacerXXXtreme/IMG_3947.jpg

toddrr
12-09-2007, 03:59 AM
Well I picked up this pristine pair of L112's for $250 which I happily paid.
He also had a pair of L-19's which he wanted $100 for... and I looked around and asked what do you want for that big receiver? He replied that he would throw it in with a kenwood KD-750 record player if I paid for the L-19's. Sure!

He also had all the paperwork, boxes, etc.

Not bad for the other stuff... does that count?

JBL 4645
12-09-2007, 04:14 AM
How about 5 2360a horns + 5 2446j comp. drivers for $ 227.00 ? Don't have any current photos, but I've got all the horns cleaned up and re-painted now. My better half is getting me diaphragms for x-mas. :applaud:In case you're wondering....... the horns in this picture are just sitting on (or rather in....) the 210 VOTT cabinets. That's a 61" Mitsubishi TV in the middle.

That’s no moon, its JBL system.:D
Lord almighty that is a JBL system from hell!:applaud:

Is that rear projecting TV monitor in the middle of all that? Well at least you’ve got your JBL priorities right.:p

00Robin
12-09-2007, 06:34 AM
At the risk of pure hate: Lancers 101WX sequential serial #'s, sequential woof's LE14A's ,Mids 4 numbers apart,surely a grab from the parts rack out of sequence. SOLID Walnut,Marble tops and nary a speck or spot or ding or anything. Every bit of paperwork still in the yellow envelopes taped on the back and, AND eight whole minutes away. Purchased from the son of his Dad who bought these Lancers brand new to match marble topped bedroom furniture in that grand period of real furniture,remember dovetailed joints?;who are both perfectionists,sentimental darlings, AND foster homes for the Lab Rescue League. Makes you KNOW there are still fine,fine people out there.
And they like me, because like my parents,anything we buy from great people,they can ALWAYS buy back at the exact price paid,whenever they wish ,IF whenever they would wish. Because sometimes,years later you long for what you once loved and we have done the same ourselves. It's called love,gracious living,giving,and a very good aura for kindred souls.
AND,whatever we own or buy, remains as perfect or better than when it came. Hence,the later longing will bring the same perfection that left,no matter how many years in between. With love.:)

glen
12-13-2007, 01:31 PM
My better half is getting me diaphragms for x-mas. :applaud:
Evidently your good taste and wise choices are not limited to speakers . . .

toddalin
12-13-2007, 02:12 PM

... Fat Bottomed Girls You Make the Rockin' World Go Round.

reconed
12-15-2007, 08:12 AM
Well I picked up this pristine pair of L112's for $250 which I happily paid.
He also had a pair of L-19's which he wanted $100 for... and I looked around and asked what do you want for that big receiver? He replied that he would throw it in with a kenwood KD-750 record player if I paid for the L-19's. Sure!

He also had all the paperwork, boxes, etc.

Not bad for the other stuff... does that count?

What is the model number of that Pioneer receiver? I've never seen that one before. Looks nice, like a rack mount SX-1280 or something?

toddrr
12-15-2007, 03:41 PM
What is the model number of that Pioneer receiver? I've never seen that one before. Looks nice, like a rack mount SX-1280 or something? Reconed

That receiver is the Pioneer SX-1980 with 270 watts per channel. I am amazed at the quality of sound from it too!

LRBacon
12-16-2007, 09:47 AM
Reconed

That receiver is the Pioneer SX-1980 with 270 watts per channel. I am amazed at the quality of sound from it too!

toddrr, I remember seeing and listening to that particular receiver in a local stereo store in Port Angeles circa 1977-78. It is huge to say the least!!!!
What does it weigh??

Larry

sdstarnes
12-16-2007, 05:24 PM
Hey all, newbie here. Mostly into the 43XX series. Glad to have found this forum!
My best JBL find is a brand new sealed box set of 4301B's that I managed to get off of ebay about 5 hours ago. It was an estate sale of a pro audio company near Hollywood. I had a set of these when I was a kid and regreted selling them! Curently looking for a MINT tube Macinsquash receiver to buy.

Thanks!

toddrr
12-16-2007, 07:21 PM
The SX-1980 weighs almost 88 pounds, and yes it is by far the best sounding reveiver I have heard.....

However this is a JBL site, there is lots of info on these at Audiokarma

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php

:)

pos
12-17-2007, 04:16 AM
Nice! How are the foam surrounds? If the box were sealed and air tight enough they might be almost unaltered. These are easy to change anyway: there is a step-by-step thread explaining how to do that in the DIY forum.

BMWCCA
12-17-2007, 06:24 AM
Curently looking for a MINT tube Macinsquash receiver to buy.Back when they were new the Mac receivers were not that highly regarded. I doubt they've improved over time and those probably are transistor anyway. Go with separates, if you must have tubes, unless this is just a small system for the 4301Bs? Maybe it was just the snobbish reaction from owners of Mac separates at the time. I'm sure opinions on the subject differ. And maybe it's because the earliest Mac receiver I can recall was the 1700 which was (at least part) transistor and they were always in the shop.

I still enjoy listening to my McIntosh C20 tube pre-amp like I enjoy driving my BMW Isettas: Entertaining, but I'd not want to drive either very far or very hard! And both are worth far more on Ebay than I'd ever thought they'd be. In the spirit of the thread topic, I paid $125 for the C20 about the same time I bought a slightly used C37 030 system for $125. The '57 Isetta sliding-window convertible cost me $1100 twenty-five years ago, only because it was a convertible.

Mr. Widget
12-17-2007, 12:41 PM
Back when they were new the Mac receivers were not that highly regarded. I doubt they've improved over time and those probably are transistor anyway. Go with separates...

Good advice.

I still enjoy listening to my McIntosh C20 tube pre-amp like I enjoy driving my BMW Isettas.Now come on there... you can't tease us about your Isetta(s) and not show us a pic or two.:)

Widget

BMWCCA
12-17-2007, 01:12 PM
Would you settle for one of my 700 convertibles? I don't have any digitals of the bubblecars. I'll have to get busy scanning!
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c378/BMWCCA1/cdac.jpg%5B/IMG%5Dhttp://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c378/BMWCCA1/cdac.jpg
(The Velam Isetta and the 'schmidt aren't mine!)

hjames
12-17-2007, 02:46 PM
You got bubblecars??
i LOVE bubblecars!

There was a HUGE show at the Laurel raceway (Maryland) back in the 90s I think ... astonishing bunch of cars on display - and some were even drivable (e.g, not trailer queens). Isettas, Messerschmidts, all kinds of strange vehicles!

Would you settle for one of my 700 convertibles? I don't have any digitals of the bubblecars. I'll have to get busy scanning!
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c378/BMWCCA1/cdac.jpg%5B/IMG%5D(The Velam Isetta and the 'schmidt aren't mine!)

BMWCCA
12-17-2007, 02:57 PM
You got bubblecars??
i LOVE bubblecars!

There was a HUGE show at the Laurel raceway (Maryland) back in the 90s I think ... astonishing bunch of cars on display - and some were even drivable (e.g, not trailer queens). Isettas, Messerschmidts, all kinds of strange vehicles!Funny you should mention it; that's where the photo above was taken. Must have been around 1996. Could have been one you went to. I only trailered that 700 when I bought it. It's been to the DC area at least twice (200-mile round trip). I've got three Isettas (and three 700 convertibles), and will probably sell one or more on Ebay when I'm ready to either build a house, pay more college tuition for child #3, or buy myself a pair of L300s as a new-house-warming present. I've forewarned my wife. Hopefully the dollar will be worth something by then! Tough to tap the Japanese market for Isettas while the dollar is in the tank because shipping's too expensive and too much trouble. But I guess they buy Paragons and an Isetta 300 isn't that much bigger. Hmmmm. Summertime project.

And, in keeping with the theme of this thread, the person I bought the 700 pictured from paid over $19,000 for it. I paid him around $9000 for it 110 miles and many years later. He'd let it sit in a warehouse and was frustrated when nothing on it worked after laying dormant. According to several folks at BMW, it is the most original un-restored 700 convertible in the world. I've been unable to prove them wrong in the past fifteen years. I have no intention of finding out what it's really worth any time soon.

sdstarnes
12-18-2007, 10:38 AM
Nice! How are the foam surrounds? If the box were sealed and air tight enough they might be almost unaltered. These are easy to change anyway: there is a step-by-step thread explaining how to do that in the DIY forum.

Thanks for the reply. Seller said they are mint. We'll see. I paid a lot for these with shipping and all....:o:

sdstarnes
12-18-2007, 10:42 AM
Back when they were new the Mac receivers were not that highly regarded. I doubt they've improved over time and those probably are transistor anyway. Go with separates, if you must have tubes, unless this is just a small system for the 4301Bs? Maybe it was just the snobbish reaction from owners of Mac separates at the time. I'm sure opinions on the subject differ. And maybe it's because the earliest Mac receiver I can recall was the 1700 which was (at least part) transistor and they were always in the shop.

I still enjoy listening to my McIntosh C20 tube pre-amp like I enjoy driving my BMW Isettas: Entertaining, but I'd not want to drive either very far or very hard! And both are worth far more on Ebay than I'd ever thought they'd be. In the spirit of the thread topic, I paid $125 for the C20 about the same time I bought a slightly used C37 030 system for $125. The '57 Isetta sliding-window convertible cost me $1100 twenty-five years ago, only because it was a convertible.

Thanks!
Just kinda' did a knee jerk reaction mentioning a Macintosh, Just sounds like a good match for my 4301's. Probably more that I need to spend right now though.

DaCarlson
12-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Got My L100's for 20 bucks. Got my Santana's for 30. Got my L26's for 20. Pretty much the best JBL deals I have ever got.

glen
12-19-2007, 06:03 PM
Got My L100's for 20 bucks. Got my Santana's for 30. Got my L26's for 20. Pretty much the best JBL deals I have ever got.

Well, your three pair beats my full house.
Congratulations!

ratitifb
12-19-2007, 11:57 PM
Our "best JBL find" may be for each of us in our own home :p ?

Sometimes i open original boxes to only watch my twenty years old perfect 4301B pair as new in the boxe ... :applaud:

and i'm now thinking suddenly that i'd ever taken any pictures :o:. I'll do :bouncy:!

Hofmannhp
12-20-2007, 05:24 AM
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c378/BMWCCA1/cdac.jpg%5B/IMG%5D
(The Velam Isetta and the 'schmidt aren't mine!)

Hi Phil,

the 700 convertible in metallic blue was my first car....have to look for old pics.

HP

BMWCCA
12-20-2007, 07:01 AM
the 700 convertible in metallic blue was my first car....have to look for old pics.This truly is a small world! The 700 is the car that saved BMW (does that make it the L100 of the line?), and the convertible is the cutest of the bunch. Greetings! We now share something else in common. :applaud:
http://mclellansautomotive.com/photos/B11977.jpg

sdstarnes
12-23-2007, 03:51 PM
Hi Phil,

the 700 convertible in metallic blue was my first car....have to look for old pics.HP

700 is very Kool!

I used to have a 2002 Ti. It was Inca orange! Replaced the orig Solex carbs with twin Weber 45DCOE, Alpina head, Schrick cam, header, Bilstien sports, etc......:blah:

Suprised a lot of camaro and mustangs with it!

Steve Schell
12-23-2007, 09:46 PM
BMWCCA, your 700 looks incredible. I once visited a fellow who was trying to sell two of them in dilapidated condition and fell in love with their beautiful looks and diminutive size.

I owned an Isetta 300 ('63 I think) for a couple of years in the mid 1970s. It was the most fun I've ever had with a car that lacked a back seat. For those not familiar, the Isetta had a one cylinder engine, four speed manual tranny that was synchomesh except for first gear, and a gearshift on the left wall whose pattern was upside down and backwards from the usual. The steering wheel was mounted on the front opening door- the front of the car! Though pretty slow, it seemed really fast due to the willing, high revving engine. Best part was the brakes, which seemed to pull the car down from 30mph in about five feet while the car hopped up and down. The Isetta is less than half the length of a VW bug.

I used to buy parts from Marilyn Felling up in Topanga Canyon, who had bought out inventories of Isetta parts from BMW dealers. She was starting to have parts like window rubber custom made for her expanding business when I regrettably sold the car and fell out of touch with her. She must be out of bubblecars now, as I searched for her on the web not long ago and the only references I found were from many years ago.

zero cool
12-24-2007, 09:36 AM
On a trip to the local speaker repair shop (when i lived in Dallas) I asked them if they had any speakers for sale. or possibly speakers customers decided not to have fixed etc. He said yes and invited me to view the speakers in the back of the shop. This was a tiny shop packed with speakers and parts and boxes. as we walked down the narrow isle i tripped over a huge speaker cabinet. I said "what the hell is that thing?" Oh said oh yeah thats somethings you might want! it was a JBL B460 sub cabinet! $150 no driver, i snapped that thing up like donuts in a cop shop! Later he was able to find me a Basket for $25 that he reconed for another $85 for me. $260 and i had a sub that would literally wave the floor in my apt!

I will never forget the first time i got that thing home and hooked up. I had just put all my gear into a custom made metal rack. I had a Audio Control Phase Couple Activator for sub control and a Soundcraftsmen Pro Power 4 amp Bridged mono 900 watts powering the big JBL. I was playing Grace Jones Slave to the rhythm track 7 when all of a sudden EVERYTHING started shaking and moving on all the counters, i could feel my pant legs moving but i couldn't hear anything? I look over at the sub cone (of course i had the grille off!) and that sucker was moving some serious air, I look over at the meters on the amp and there PEGGED! I snapped the volume down, caught my breath, and started going over all the wiring in my system thinking i had goofed something up. Confident now that i hadn't. I start playing the track again. and sure enough in 2 spots there are heavy subsonic notes on the CD. Most CD players seem to block anything below 20hz, but the specs for Denon i had at that time listed the low end cut off at 5hz and i believe it now!

Years later, i fell on hard times and a friend was building a Home theater with some L300's and i sold him that Sub for his system. wish i had never done that!

Living in Dallas i came across many pairs of JBL's at estate sales, pawn shops, swap meets etc. L-100's, L-200's, L-300's, Lancer 44's, A friend found a custom pair of Hartsfields, my B460, L-220's (2 pairs!) and a few more i cant remember the numbers of.

My current PA system, a Pair of SR-4718's that i bought that needed a lot of TLC for $250 that i just rebuilt and recarpeted. and the owner of the company i used to work for gave me a pair of SP-212-6's for helping him with some stuff at his studio!

Zc

crooner
12-24-2007, 01:17 PM
My best JBL find thus far is a pair of C-50 Monitors with the 375 compression drivers. See my other thread for details!!

CheeseGrits
08-27-2008, 11:58 AM
I've only got one set of JBLs, but I've been waiting around for some for a long time. $60/pair for L110s on Craigslist. The guy had listed them at $30, and I didn't see the ad until over a day later. I called right away, and the owner said that he had already told another guy he could have them for $60, but he wasn't coming until later that night. I said I could be there right away, and I had a new set of speakers about 45 minutes later. One of the tweaters is dented a bit (which I'll try to repair), and I'll have to replace the foam surrounds. Still, I'm thinking this is a pretty good deal. I'll have to post pics later. :)

LRBacon
08-27-2008, 08:23 PM
CheeseGrits, try using a vacuum cleaner to suck out the dome. The nozzle on my Kenmore vacuum fits perfectly over the dome and has an adjustable port to decrease/increase the suction. I used it on one of my original L110 tweeters back in the early 80's when one of my young boys pushed in a dome, worked quite well. Another trick is gently apply a piece of Gorilla tape (or a good duct tape) to the dented in portion and pull the tape off. If it's not a real deep dent it will pull it out.

Larry, A Happy Multiple L110 Owner

CheeseGrits
08-29-2008, 09:39 PM
CheeseGrits, try using a vacuum cleaner to suck out the dome. The nozzle on my Kenmore vacuum fits perfectly over the dome and has an adjustable port to decrease/increase the suction. I used it on one of my original L110 tweeters back in the early 80's when one of my young boys pushed in a dome, worked quite well. Another trick is gently apply a piece of Gorilla tape (or a good duct tape) to the dented in portion and pull the tape off. If it's not a real deep dent it will pull it out.

Larry, A Happy Multiple L110 Owner

Thanks a bunch for the advice. I'm afraid that the dent is a bit deep, and here is a picture:

http://www.beauhoward.com/craigslist/jbl-l110/L110-2a.jpg

I haven't tried the vacuum yet, but I did get... um... a bit personal with the tweeter. Maybe something with more constant suction would be better?

John
08-30-2008, 12:37 AM
If it was mine I would open up the tweeter and push it out thru the back. If you know what your doing it's a breeze if not well forget it.

CheeseGrits
08-30-2008, 06:12 AM
If it was mine I would open up the tweeter and push it out thru the back. If you know what your doing it's a breeze if not well forget it.

This would be my first experience with something like this, but I'm handy and not completely dumb. Is there an issue with putting it back together that requires some specialized testing equipment? I thought I read that somewhere.

I'll probably open the tweeter up eventually, but I want to make sure I understand what I am getting myself into first. They are seemingly difficult to replace, so I am loathe to damage it further.

LRBacon
08-30-2008, 08:37 AM
I haven't tried the vacuum yet, but I did get... um... a bit personal with the tweeter. Maybe something with more constant suction would be better?

Definitely need more suction than that!
Try the vacuum. If you take it a part you'll have to unsolder at least one maybe both of the leads from the terminals and then try to get it them to lay flat again across the magnet structure. Good luck. BTW you have a pair of the original L110's, which were originally equipped with the LE111A woofers.

Larry

brad347
08-30-2008, 09:01 AM
I was pretty excited about my $50 pair of Jubals, excellent and all there with original manuals, warranty cards, and other documentation.

jhal
09-06-2008, 11:20 PM
That would have to be my new-to-me XPL-200A's. I still can't believe I have found the speakers I have wanted since '92! One of the midrange domes is damaged, but I was able to locate a win the auction for a replacement on Ebay. Life is good!

Bill F.
09-12-2008, 02:40 PM
Whazzat calling my name from the warehouse shelf at the local Univ. custodial dept.?

Just brought 'em home. :D

No coaxes inside, but a pristine 505b pair.

proimage1
09-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Got these around 5 years ago at an estate sale - $25 for the pair - L200's
I just posted on another string inquiring as to the approx value !

hakka26
09-21-2008, 11:28 PM
All my JBLs were great finds. L112 were advertised "with speakers" in an ad for a $40 Yamaha CR-1020 (also came with Onkyo Integra CDPC and 40' of 8g). First set of L100's in original boxes were free. Second set was $10 or $20. Traded a set of DCM KX10s for newly serviced L26s.

wilbee50
11-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Was just perusing this thread and had to comment. The first car I purchased when I graduated college was a new 1973 2002 tii in turkis (I've been told the rarest color). I certainly wish I had never parted with it.

brutal
11-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Was just perusing this thread and had to comment. The first car I purchased when I graduated college was a new 1973 2002 tii in turkis (I've been told the rarest color). I certainly wish I had never parted with it.

While stationed in DE 1981-1984, I had a few different rides, but one of my favs was the 1972 2000 "Touring" 3-door hatchback in Inca orange!

http://www.usautoparts.net/bmw/pics/vintage/2000_touring_ring.jpg

Timmy G
12-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Please help guys. I've gotten back the old band PA from the mid 70's. It is as follows: JBL S8 cabinets I think. I don't want to rip the cloth yet to see if the LE15 are in there? How do I get in? With an lx5 crossover and then the drivers , one is a jbl 2445J and the other a 2440 driver, 2309 horns, 2310 lenses, and then there are a couple E-V T350 tweeters. I didn't get the crossovers for the t350's. Do you recommend the x36 or the x336? What's the difference? Before I get back to work on 1/5/09 I want to get into this stuff. Write as long as you want. Is one driver better the 2445J or the 2440 than the other? Thanks.
The best part I paid $300.00 for all of it!

BMWCCA
12-26-2008, 10:48 PM
While stationed in DE 1981-1984, I had a few different rides, but one of my favs was the 1972 2000 "Touring" 3-door hatchback in Inca orange!Just noticed this today with this thread's revival. Very cool car. I drove one in England in 1971. One of the few '02 variants that has not lived under my roof at one time or another. :applaud:

brutal
12-27-2008, 02:32 AM
Just noticed this today with this thread's revival. Very cool car. I drove one in England in 1971. One of the few '02 variants that has not lived under my roof at one time or another. :applaud:

Did it have the auto in it?

I ended up junking mine when the frame rusted through and wouldn't pass inspection although we welded it up pretty good. I picked up a much larger 2500 after that.

leftygtr
12-27-2008, 07:48 AM
new to the site. first jbl find was a pair of 4408s at a tag sale. hooked them up and found one tweeter was expired. yesterday i found a pair of 940s in jersey for 100 bucks. pick up only and i live in mass but i think ill buy em. my hk680i has been giving me hints about getting better speakers when i play floyd slightly above listening level.

BMWCCA
12-27-2008, 08:06 AM
Did it have the auto in it?Nope, it was a 4-speed. I still have about ten "-02" cars sitting around, two of them convertibles, and one of those we picked up in Wiesbaden on our honeymoon 27-years ago. Also have a 2000 four-door, three Isettas, and three 700 two-cylinders; but no 2500/Bavaria/etc. sedans. Recently sold a 1980 E12 528i and I still drive a 1987 535is when the weather's good. Like Seawolf, my daily driver is a 1995 E34 5-series. Oh yeah, and five BMW bikes. I could fill a thread with "my best BMW find", but now back to your regularly scheduled program. ;)

SEAWOLF97
12-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Like Seawolf, my daily driver is a 1995 E34 5-series. O;)

well, no..my daily driver is a 4WD Ford truck...the garage queen (at least in winter) is a 540i ...that V8 puts out 280something hp and is not really a snow car ...the dentist that owned it before me put on WIDE (265/270 ?) 40 series Pirelli's on very expensive BBS wheels ( stemless ....I have to carry little stainless valve stems in the glovebox ...then to refill air, have to locate which titanium bolt is the fake (out of about 25) ..unscrew it and screw in my ss adapter to refill air ...then reverse all when done) ..the 40 series tire is cool looking but no protection for the wheel, so at replacement time I went taller/skinnier at 250/50/17 and had to order P77's from Arizona.

worked at Intel for some time, their parking lot had more & better BMW's than the local dealer :D

I've driven M3's , 740's ,330ci's , 645's (what a beast) , Z4's etc on Koman "drive for the cure" day ..but the old 540 is still good enough for me :bouncy:

LATER: 2 other reasons the BMW is in the garage 1. heater is weak 2. the truck has permanent plates , no renew , no emissions tests , nothing , zero plate costs while I'm alive.

BMWCCA
12-27-2008, 12:19 PM
well, no..my daily driver is a 4WD Ford truck...the garage queen (at least in winter) is a 540i ...that V8 puts out 280something hp and is not really a snow car ...the dentist that owned it before me put on WIDE (265/270 ?) 40 series Pirelli's on very expensive BBS wheels ..the 40 series tire is cool looking but no protection for the wheel, so at replacement time I went taller/skinnier at 250/50/17 and had to order P77's from Arizona.

LATER: 2 other reasons the BMW is in the garage 1. heater is weak 2. the truck has permanent plates , no renew , no emissions tests , nothing , zero plate costs while I'm alive.

I find it hard to believe your winters are colder than ours here at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia, and the heater in my 525i works great. The car also is super in snow but then living here and being a BMW-dealer general manager and sales manager, I never ordered any BMWs without traction control since ASC+T became an option in 1994. I use Pirelli WinterSports 235/45s on 17" E34 M5 forged wheels and I go wherever I want, including visiting daughters in NY. You might want to check that thermostat, or your heater's water pump. Yeah, there is such a part: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE53&mospid=47410&btnr=64_0114&hg=64&fg=18
or try replacing your micro-filter if it's just an airflow issue. Or just drive the truck. ;)

SEAWOLF97
12-27-2008, 01:11 PM
I find it hard to believe your winters are colder than ours here at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia, and the heater in my 525i works great. The car also is super in snow but then living here and being a BMW-dealer general manager and sales manager, I never ordered any BMWs without traction control since ASC+T became an option in 1994. I use Pirelli WinterSports 235/45s on 17" E34 M5 forged wheels and I go wherever I want, including visiting daughters in NY. You might want to check that thermostat, or your heater's water pump. Yeah, there is such a part: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE53&mospid=47410&btnr=64_0114&hg=64&fg=18
or try replacing your micro-filter if it's just an airflow issue. Or just drive the truck. ;)

we've been in the 20's for last 10 days , cold enough ..mine was a Calif car and does not have ASC+T , and yes, its easy to "break 'em loose" (even with a 5 speed auto)

I changed the microflter in an attempt to solve problem...what a bitch ...2 hours on my back contorted around , (you have to remove glove box) and no joy ..

this one was worse ...so I just "drive the truck"

brutal
12-27-2008, 03:18 PM
LOL

I only drive the truck when the snow gets +12", +chains if it's +30". Otherwise it's the Audi A6 2.7T bi-turbo 310 HP (chipped) with dedicated winter tires. :applaud: Loved the bimmers when I was in DE, but I'm an Audi guy now.

BMWCCA
12-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Loved the bimmers when I was in DE, but I'm an Audi guy now.I sold Audis for 20-years, and Porsches, too. But I drive BMWs—at least for the past 38 years!

I just did the microfilter on my '95 and it took about a half-hour including vacuuming out the compartment. No, it's not my first time and, yes, it is helpful to like being upside down! ;) A 5-series is a piece of cake compared to the same vintage 3-series. They were both added later as an afterthought. On the new ones it takes about ten seconds.

SEAWOLF97
12-27-2008, 05:08 PM
LOL
I'm an Audi guy now.

I think the fastest car that I've driven was an Audi turbo quatro coupe.. It was an autherntic Pikes Peak racer and they wernt really selling it, just showing...dont know how I got a demo drive...do remember that I got it up to 60mph in 2nd , and it was a 5 speed. :D

2md fastest was prolly a BMW 645ci convertable...looked like a Chrysler Sebring..but went like WOW and sounded like a 60's muscle car !!

I just did the microfilter on my '95 and it took about a half-hour including vacuuming out the compartment. No, it's not my first time and, yes, it is helpful to like being upside down!.

I was upside down with one hand on the flashlight , one on the Bentley manual and one on the screwdriver and feet in the air ...and you needed to be a contortionist to reach the filter behind the console,,,then getting the glovebox back in and locking ...whew ... mebbe could get it down faster the second time....
I had driven 525's but they seemed gutless, bought a 535 (E34) and Jim C chipped it ...fast and well balanced ,,the 540 is a beast,but doesnt handle quite as well ...When I worked in Washington, I'd floor it on the bridge onramp,,,I set my hi-speed warning chime at 75mph,,,and set it off at abt 2/3 up the ramp, would make abt 90 when it was time to junp on the brakes to merge into traffic :D

bakes837
03-10-2010, 08:05 PM
So far...

4412s, beautiful but needed refoaming, $100 and started the addiction... L100 Centuries, beautiful shape except for the grill and tweeter foams, $150 and the original owners threw in the freshly serviced HK 930 receiver to power them... 4312Bs, needed one woofer, $100... L100Ts, fine shape, needed a tweeter and refoaming, $100... 4311 single wreck, free... L36s, beautiful but need refoaming, $75...

And is it just me, or are there any speakers that are more satisfying to work on than JBLs?

jcrobso
03-11-2010, 08:56 AM
I got a pair of 4560 cabinets loaded with 2205s from a dumpster.

Tim Rinkerman
03-12-2010, 05:03 PM
A pair of 4333B's, needing foam and missing their lenses removed from the walls of a small theatre. I discovered them on the electrician's cart on the way to the dumpster....he asked me if I could give him a hand throwing them into the dumpster.."they're so fr**** heavy! " Needless to say, they bypassed the dumpster, and went into my van...I've been smiling ever since! That was 12 years ago.... Refoamed the edges, found a set of NOS lenses..I told my son they can use one for my headstone....

SEAWOLF97
03-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Oh ? we're back ON TOPIC again ???

my 3 pairs ( 6 speakers) of L-166's cost a total of $75
the L100's were $4
recently acquired L26 pair was $2.50

a guy I know picked up pristine L65's
with glass tops...just needed foams for $15 at a garage sale recently.

lgvenable
03-12-2010, 05:17 PM
$10.00 at a garage sale near West Bend IN, the lady said she needed to get rid of her hubby's garage speakers, they were in pristine shape, and played perfectly.:D

Triumph Don
03-12-2010, 08:32 PM
L-150's, recent [good] refoams at a moving sale last September. Combined with a Carver 1.5T, C-1 preamp, C-11 tuner, sony CD 5 disc player. Original boxes and paperwork. All for $350. Gave the Sony to my driver with the truck, sold the 1.5T on ebay for $360. Beat that! Free 150's with another $250 for lunch money. Oh well. May not ever happen again!

Cavalryman40
03-12-2010, 09:07 PM
My best JBL find pales compared to some of the ones on here, but I will tell about them anyway.

The first was one I missed, they were sitting in a driveway during a garage sale. My wife was driving and I jumped out of the car while she was still moving. They were a mint pair of L200B's. Flawless, I asked they guy how much, and he said $250.00. As I was asking another guy handed him a check for them. A CHECK! I offered cash but no deal, he said they were sold.

Last week I picked up a decent pair of 4311 WXA's for $10.00 at a thrift store. Nice shape and they sound great. They need new grills.

CountD
03-13-2010, 12:27 AM
My best find was a pair that you might have seen on that auction site - a set of original C533s - the original JBL made to design specs for the late, great C. Robert Fine. I have not found much info on them, but every time I have studied them I have become awed by JBLs approach to design and simplicity, how novel they were 40 years ago, and in some ways how they started the three-way bookshelf craze. I had to give up a few things for the purchase, but I believe they are the best 'historical' JBL find I will ever make and probably the speakers I will keep for my lifetime.

lgvenable
03-13-2010, 12:52 AM
off eBay 16 total used sold for parts 18 4 shipping

a 5 min fix:opened her up plugged in the 3 unplugged connections, voila when turned it came right to; run bridged at 250 wpc.

Sounds beautiful,and I run at 8 ohm

brad347
05-20-2010, 10:21 PM
I was pretty excited about my $50 pair of Jubals, excellent and all there with original manuals, warranty cards, and other documentation.

This was totally trumped by my "all there" pair of $500 4345s, purchased from a Pennsylvania craigslist seller.

:applaud:

I've had pretty good luck so far. Maybe there's still hope I'll find a $600 Paragon. :)

loach71
05-21-2010, 10:06 AM
Acquiring twelve 2245H woofers and six 2360A horns with compression drivers...:)

Kenny Brant
05-22-2010, 07:27 AM
LE14A's 2 for $4.98 each.

LE175 2 for $1.98 each. Would of had 3 by guy put one in his cart for an alarm he was building, LOL.

brad347
05-22-2010, 07:57 AM
that is hilarious!

I bet that's one nice sounding fire alarm. :D

:banghead:

moparfan
07-13-2010, 07:50 AM
I stripped them in 10 minutes, I got everything except the passive radiators. The aquaplassed woofers need to be refoamed but everything else looks to be in good shape.

This was on the way back from picking up a refoamed 2235 for my 4430.

BJL
07-13-2010, 11:50 AM
Wow, the 033's weren't poked?

My best find is pair of DIY 001 wannabe:
LE175DLH (both work, one still has 'Zilch plugz')
N1200
and D130 instead

Found curbside

moparfan
07-13-2010, 12:14 PM
The 033 tweeters look perfect. I'll have to find an ohm meter and test the speakers out to see if they actually are ok. The cabinets were actually in decent shape too, but I already have too many big speakers in the house. I never took apart a speaker before so I was surprised at the crossovers. They had some size and heft to them.

I'll have to assume that I lot of our stuff will end up on the curb when we croak if we don't leave specific instructions.

xbartx
07-14-2010, 06:16 PM
My best was a nice set of 1962 Olympus S8's, that I won in an local auction for $400.00
And my latest a very nice set of Jubal's, missing one 126A for $100.00 at a garage sale.
-Brad

Audiobeer
07-14-2010, 06:54 PM
My best was a nice set of 1962 Olympus S8's, that I won in an local auction for $400.00
And my latest a very nice set of Jubal's, missing one 126A for $100.00 at a garage sale.
-Brad

Nice Brad! I think the Olympus are S7s though, either way very nice! :applaud:

xbartx
07-14-2010, 07:47 PM
I have the original sales receipt showing it listed as S8. It also came with a sales brochure from 1962, It lists the S8 with these components. LE15A, 375, HL93 & LX5 and that is what was loaded in it. Did the S8 load change in years later?
By the way, the sales receipt shows 1190.00 & 47.60 in tax
-Brad

Audiobeer
07-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Wow! It is an S8. Very nice with the 375! Are they Blue? If you're ever in the St. louis area and need to store them I sure would do that for you!

Otto Man
08-02-2010, 04:32 PM
First of all let me introduce myself. Otto Man, Ellicott City, Maryland. I'm 55 but I feel 33. My ears are 55 though.
At least 16 JBL speakers in this house. Dating from 1975 through today.
One day at work I saw a bulletin board posting for "Speakers for Sale". It said "JBL speakers, too heavy, must sell, $100 for the pair". I investigated and it was a pair of L 110's, perfect condition except for I guess dorm room scratches, really minor. I listened to them on some blah system, cranked, and said OOOKKKAAAYYY.
That was 30 years ago. Having the woofers re-coned this week. Doing the final touches on my reconditioning of an Empire Troubador Mark III turntable. Time to break out the Lava Lamps. Thinking about new grill clothes. I think I would like to get grills like the quad orange L-100's. Or black cloth. Any hints on how to get those grill frames seperated? I'll search here but feel free to step in if you are bored.
The best speakers in the world.
Chris

wrager
08-05-2010, 01:16 PM
I scored an AM6215/95 for $400. Wish there were two more!

tom1356
08-05-2010, 02:55 PM
I guess it would be these.
Now where to put them:dont-know:

grumpy
08-06-2010, 07:13 AM
Are you asking for suggestions? :D