PDA

View Full Version : Hair trigger moderator - or censorship ?

Bernard Wolf
12-15-2005, 05:08 PM
A few days ago I was involved in a thread that was unexpectedly terminated. I say unexpectedly because there was no reason I could see for this to be. It was in the 'off topic' forum where I thought anything (almost) went. The thread had started out as a tribute of sorts to American WWII Vets. Among some of the statements I felt there were some inaccuracies and so I expressed my opinion. Thus began a very mildly heated exchange with the harshest word used being 'ignorant'. I have seen much worse than this in an exchange over grill cloth. That was it, an otherwise somewhat mildly heated discussion over a potentialy heated subject - the A-Bombing of Japan.

Anyways.. out of the blue 'this thread is closed". I PM'd the moderator and asked: ' curious as to why you closed the thread as it was in the 'off topic' forum. What, we can't have a civilized discussion?

Answer :"Sure, if it stays that way. I have seen too many discussions along the same lines degenerate into a free for all. Would rather shut it down than see that happen".

Now what I would like to know is if this is standard policy or what ?? Having someone step in and end a thread that might become heated BEFORE it actually does is kind of like having your knuckles rapped as you are reaching for the cookie jar. Are we so immature and unable to control ourselves on this forum that we need someone to police us that strongly? Or, was the thread teminated because someone did not like what I had to say ?

Maybe, just maybe, the moderator had an itchy trigger finger that day... I certainly hope so.

What think you ?

Bernard

4313B
12-15-2005, 05:13 PM
What think you ?I think I shouldn't have started the thread. You can rest assured that I won't be starting any more.

Bernard Wolf
12-15-2005, 05:29 PM
I think I shouldn't have started the thread. You can rest assured that I won't be starting any more.

well, they do say you shouldn't talk about politics or religion with friends.. but I don't know about that. What I do know is that I run an open used book store and we have all kinds of discussions all the time - including religion. Sometimes heated, but usually we manage to control ourselves. I don't see why a open forum should be any different although things do seem to heat up a lot quicker when there is no chance of getting bopped on the nose :blink:.

But really, shouldn't we be able to discuss whatever without it being a problem? Or is that just not doable on-line?

Robh3606
12-15-2005, 05:46 PM
Since I am the guy who shut it down I will be glad to respond. We are here to enjoy our hobby. We are not here to solve the troubles of the world. To wait for it to become a free for all or wait till when it turns bad is to let someone’s feeling be hurt or worse. This is a friendly forum and when I am on the board I try to make sure it stays that way. If you think I made a bad decision well l am OK with that. I don’t and stand by shutting it down. Curious to see what the rest think. Here's the link.

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8225&page=1&pp=15

Why don't you read it and see if I jumped the gun??

Rob:)

Zilch
12-15-2005, 06:03 PM
I was following it at the time, and I, too, was concerned that it might get more personal. I'd prefer if we didn't beat up on each other here, no matter how divergent the opinion....

scott fitlin
12-15-2005, 06:04 PM
I have to agree with Rob. Too many times, here as well as other forums, I`ve seen topics involving politics and sensitive issue denegrate into arguments, and verbal brawls!

Lansing Heritage just really isnt the place for these discussions.

My opinion, but I do hope you understand.

:)

Audiobeer
12-15-2005, 06:22 PM
I was glad to see it shut down. I come here to relax. What started out as a tribute to veterans of Pearll Harbor that day, turned out to be another bashing between two opposing views that weren't going to change either way. Nothing wrong with discussion about morals and world history but AOL has a boat load of boards for that. I respect your opinion........but I'm glad the discussion was closed. Discussions about JBLs flow better without tensions whether expressed or hidden.

boputnam
12-15-2005, 07:09 PM
Bernard...

Not to abuse the metaphor, but it is a minefield out there - everytime religion, war, or whatever non-JBL enters the fray, it ends awkward. I enjoy the recognition of the US contribution historically, and Giskard is often one who reminds in a very poignant way, IMO. Anyway, Rob was right to close the thread. These things are better discussed on other sites...

Bernard Wolf
12-15-2005, 07:21 PM
Bernard...

Not to abuse the metaphor, but it is a minefield out there - everytime religion, war, or whatever non-JBL enters the fray, it ends awkward. I enjoy the recognition of the US contribution historically, and Giskard is often one who reminds in a very poignant way, IMO. Anyway, Rob was right to close the thread. These things are better discussed on other sites...

Well, I did think off topic was off topic, in other words non-JBL. Be that as it may I responded basically to someone saying it was a good idea to drop the bomb on Japan when I don't think that it was. I mean, this whole thing becomes rather problematic in a hurry does it not? Nothing like real life at all. So what we should call the 'Off Topic" forum then is "Make Nice Forum" and the second anyone says anything that might cause a flap it gets pulled immediately ? Ok, I can live with that no problem. However I do reserve the right, I hope, to respond when something I disagree with is said. Otherwise lets not call it a forum, or better yet not have an 'Off Topic" forum at all.

Bernard

geowal3
12-15-2005, 07:46 PM
It's a thankless job. Somebody has to do it. We should be grateful they donate their time, otherwise we would have no forum as we currently know it.

mikebake
12-15-2005, 07:56 PM
Bernard, I understand what you are saying, and tend to agree, but if I had just let your post pass without challenging, there would have been no thread closure. The reality is, people seldom ever change someone elses view, so even though I felt compelled to disagree, I likely should have just shut up. Unfortunately, such exchanges DO degrade the forum and ARE wearisome. You seem like a fine chap and I was actually set to making the thread conciliatory but it was closed before I could. Let me say that I appreciate your efforts and your candor, and I DO appreciate used book sellers! Giskards post, and subsequent ones, were fine tributes and perhaps we should just have let them be.....
By the way, what are you listening to tonight?:)

p.s. I know the moderator who closed the thread, and he is a great guy and has no axe to grind. He just likes the Lansing forum and wants to keep it unsullied. He also paid me to say that.....................;)

Zilch
12-15-2005, 07:56 PM
Lighten up on the Moderator! :duck:

speakerdave
12-15-2005, 08:05 PM
"Off Topic" does not mean "anything goes."

I think responses to occasions (such as a death or a commemorative date) are appropriate. I do not think that when the discussion devolves into some old hopelessly conflicted debate we need to wait until the posts get nasty. Moderator functioned well in this case.

David

Bernard Wolf
12-15-2005, 08:26 PM
"Off Topic" does not mean "anything goes."

I think responses to occasions (such as a death or a commemorative date) are appropriate. I do not think that when the discussion devolves into some old hopelessly conflicted debate we need to wait until the posts get nasty. Moderator functioned well in this case.

David

Well I can buy that... no need to wait for the disaster to hit if you can see it coming. As I said to the mod in my PM, perhaps it is better to err on the side of caution. Nuff said as far as I'm concerned.

As to what I am listening to tonight.. that Cream reunion on PBS.. what a great band they were and still are.. love that Ginger baker... will have to get the DVD asap so I can crank it through the JB's.

Bernard

norealtalent
12-15-2005, 08:33 PM
It's a thankless job. Somebody has to do it. We should be grateful they donate their time, otherwise we would have no forum as we currently know it.

Well said. I hate seeing threads pulled. I hate even more the need to pull them. Some times site moderation appears to be lop-sided to me but I know that I often see things differently than others. So be it. I almost posted to the thread of topic. I decided better to not as it was, IMO, very controversial (which there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with.) However, I have fueled enough fires around here in the past and want no possibility of being part to another. I do not often agree with the moderators decisions but aggreement is not a prerequisite of gratitude for their assistance in maintaining the best aspects of this site for us all to enjoy. Moderating is a much tougher job than imaginable, one that I most certainly would not want. I am very grateful for those who spend their precious time and energy putting forth as they see best for the unity of all members as a whole. I've seen things get a whole lot worse and hope I never have to see them that way again. If getting my toes stepped on now and then is the price, I'll gladly pay it and leave a tip. Thank you ALL... Dave :bouncy:

mikebake
12-15-2005, 08:35 PM
As to what I am listening to tonight.. that Cream reunion on PBS.. what a great band they were and still are.. love that Ginger baker... will have to get the DVD asap so I can crank it through the JB's.

Bernard
I heard that was good; I better go get it! I met Cream as a kid, on an elevator in Akron or Kent Ohio........musta been '68 or so. Also re-met Ginger Baker in NY around 70-72 when visiting Elliott Randall on the Broadway production of Jesus Christ Superstar.

kingjames
12-15-2005, 09:55 PM
I don't agree with shutting down the thread,because I don't believe in censorship.and that is exactly what happened here.Who cares if discussions are heated one way or the other, who cares if someone disagree's with another person,this is America and this is the way we are. I do not apologize for being american nor will I give up my right to debate any subject. Debates are good,it has been the history of this country all it's life,we have the freedom to disagree,and by God this is why we've had these wars. The thread as a tribute to Pearl Harbor vets was indeed a well deserved tribute and to try and hide the fact and tell people not to talk about it on this forum is dead wrong. How many people have given their lives for this country,so that we can be free? Have we all fogotten what makes this country so great.have we forgotten that we overcame the destruction delivered at Pearl Harbor, are we so ignorant and selfish that we can not honor the vets of Pearl Harbor.No one and I mean no one has the right to censor anyone in this country,I take offense to anyone deciding what I should write. That thread was not as bad as the Edirol episode and yet that thread continues.What are we saying here that If Pearl Harbor Vets had JBL'S it would have been ok to post a tribute about them. Hiroshima and Nagasaki are now a part of history and we should not try to say it didn't happen and neither should any of us ever tell you not to talk or write about it. That thread was good for a few reasons, it allowed some to give thanks for the people who died on those ships, the bombing's allow people to express their belief's, one way or the other. Let us not forget that in this country (and thank God for it) we have a free press by (law). It is called checks and balance's and without this checks and balance's we are in big trouble.Allow people to express their thanks to certain people on certain anniversary's,allow people to speak their minds in this forum and we have some remarkable minds here. I do love my JBL'S and, I am so thankful I found this place to meet and talk to people who love them as well, but their is life beyond JBL,and there is history besides JBL.I will say that this country is the best in the world and what made it great was the best Vets in the world alive or dead,but the true beauty of this country comes in it's law's one of those being Freedom of the Press! It is so wrong to take upon yourself to decide that a forum member should not write about Pearl Harbor,you do not have that right. I will give you the benefit of the doubt because you saw something I didn't, so you say, but as much as I love this forum I don't really know if I still want to be a member.That thread is no different then saying my JBL'S are better than your's,what, you don't see heated discussions on JBL preference's
it happens all the time, oh my 4311's sound better than the L100's and that my friend is debate. Don't be judge and try to decide what people should think or feel and don't censor what people should write in an off topic forum,by your own description off topic is non JBL discussion and it does not say non Pearl Harbor.JBL'S are great and their are non better,America is great and their is none better,yet these two last statements would be debateable by the guy with the EDirol speakers and Fidel Castro of Cuba,but I would never censor them because I disagreed with them.Here is a new name for this forum "Lansing Heritage" and the "BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WRITE" Forum. This in my opinion is a heated reply to your censorship. I have not threatened you or suggested that I will come and take your JBL'S away,but you know I am pissed at this yanking of this thread. And yet though heated it was good to have the right to say it. I do not have the right to tell you what JBL'S to buy and you don't have the right to tell me that I should like them.You know there can even be heated discussions about JBL'S,will that be the next thread you shut down???:biting: :biting:

Ian Mackenzie
12-15-2005, 10:41 PM
I agree with the closure and stand by Rob's decison. The discussion was becoming reactive and argumentative without new factual information and a wider opinion being bought to the table

Ian

Charlie4350
12-15-2005, 11:05 PM
Merry Christmas!

Yes,

Merry Christmas!

John
12-15-2005, 11:18 PM
Well I was going to post to the thread and maybe widen the scope of it? but it was closed as I was writing to it:(

Oh well that was yesterday, today is a new day!:bouncy:

Rolf
12-15-2005, 11:49 PM
How would we all feel if this forum was closed down by someone that has the power to do it just because they did not like what we are talking about?

Rolf

kingjames
12-15-2005, 11:52 PM
there was no wider opinion brought to the table because the thread was shut down before that wider opinion was brought.The wording need's to be changed here then, there should be rules up front about off topic material, you cannot have an off topic thread then sometime in the future decide's on their own to end that thread because you don't agree to where it's going. Posting of no political statements should be noted then. This in itself is not censorship,and I can live with it.But don't tell me that I can use an off topic forum as long as I say something you approve of. This guy with the Edirol speakers for example the one who bought them from Circuit City, remember that thread,we'll I got praise from some members for telling him what to do with his speakers. I suggested to him to start his own forum the key word here is suggested,and all the reply's to his thread were along the same line,every reply to this guy's thread was in some way insulting and yet this thread was allowed to continue. I may not agree with what he said about his speakers and even took it personally when he said they were the best speakers he ever heard,but I would never take his right away to say it.I would never shut down his thread even though he appears to be a pest. Rules have to apply to every subject and when you start shutting down thread's because they might start an argument then why have different opinions at all on any subject.Should we be afraid of factual information,you can't change history,but if we allow discussion on it even though heated then maybe we can learn from it. Arguments are good for discussion as long as the truth isn't distorted,as long as no one says I am going to beat your A?,or call you a Mother F? then all it is, is a discussion.It's amazing if you think about it though, here the majority of it's members all truely love their JBL'S including myself and will brag yes brag about the new pair they just got,they will write and ask about them and when they heard enough will move on to someone's thread and compliment them on their pair.This is who we are,are we jealous of one another are we envious of some members,I know I am,but because I can't afford something doesn't mean I don't wish some one on this forum would get them. We all love JBL'S we all have different opinion's and thank God we do. Have a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!!!

mech986
12-16-2005, 12:08 AM
Hey Robh and everyone,

I am the moderator of the BBC LS3/5a Yahoo! group. (about as different a speaker can get compared to JBL's, but we love them all). We have, from time to time, also had to shut down threads, and rarely, time out members. Due to the nature of Yahoo! groups, we don't have the luxury of independent topics and threads like Lansing Heritage. I fully support your closing the thread and here's why.

The most common reason for thread closure is that debate - the posting of ideas, facts, or opinions - changes from discussion and debate to getting personal. People don't exchange at that point, they start to question personal attributes and attack people. Sometimes its a gradual change, sometimes its abrupt change. But once the wind shifts, it becomes apparent to many readers and the moderators that its moving off the topic at hand. If the forum (mine and this one) is set up for friendly, civil discourse and usually gentle or toungue in cheek disagreement, then the members abide by that and self police pretty well, making the job of moderation straightforward. Its when someone gets bent out of shape and walks over the line in getting personal, then the moderator has to make a decision about stepping in or shutting down the thread or members. It is a thankless job, but an important one. Kinda like being a referee/umpire at a sports event.

The big difference between the real world and the world of some internet forums is that many forums like this one are privately owned and run. Therefore, they can and do set the groundrules for posting and discourse for all the guests (members) in their "house". In many other areas of the internet, like rec.alt.audio, some areas of AudioAsylum, and the like, unmoderated groups quickly degenerate into soapbox arenas where personal attacks are posted more than on topic discussions. That's what drove a lot of people away from places like that to forums like this. I'm confident most everyone here likes and wants a forum that is friendly and civil in tone. But as with all things human, words can bite and emotions can bubble over, and that's where the moderators may act - and sometimes after a long leash/rope has been given to the combatants. It seemed to me that it was only after the tone of discussion changed in the Dec. 7 thread that it was closed.

On the LS3/5a group, we set some groundrules - post your topic and try to stay on it or at least close to it. Keep it civil and respectful, that's the tone the owners/moderators set the forum up for. And for some topics we just don't go there because they've proven to be problematic, especially with a global audience. Those topics include Politics, Religion, superiority of a particular amplification method over another, and CABLES - that last one has been the biggest troublemaker :banghead: :biting: .

My 0.02. May LS3/5a's and JBL's harmonize together.

Regards,

Bart

kingjames
12-16-2005, 12:35 AM
What you speak of did not happen in this thread. Can you imagine If I started a New Thread"Wishing George Bush a Happy Birthday,can you imagine the heated debate that would cause? I would never start a thread like that out of respect for these members because I would not want one of these members to tell me that George Bush was the cause of their childs death in Irag,and that would be a possibility writing a thread like that. Being a moderator might be a very hard job and you might have to make decision's wise and unwise and I'm sure you thought it was the best thing to do,I don't fault you for that,I only fault you for seeing something in that thread that didn't exist.

Mr. Widget
12-16-2005, 01:25 AM
Being a moderator might be a very hard job and you might have to make decision's wise and unwise and I'm sure you thought it was the best thing to do,I don't fault you for that,I only fault you for seeing something in that thread that didn't exist.The point was that Rob chose to err on the side of caution. This discussion is entirely valid, and I agree that we should be able to discuss a wide range of off topic subjects... the point is that we have seen much more benign subjects lead to serious accusations, name calling, and venomous assaults. I missed that thread before it was closed... as a fellow moderator I agree with Rob's judgment. As a fellow forum member I agree with your points as well, but as moderators we try to be as even handed as possible and prevent unnecessary collateral damage.

As for censorship... That thread covers issues that are extremely complex and are almost impossible to look at without an emotional bias. Years ago when I learned of the fire bombing of Tokyo, I was shocked that we were capable of such an act. Even General LeMay (the man attributed to ordering them) said: "I suppose if I had lost the war, I would have been tried as a war criminal." Our forum just isn't designed to explore such issues... The President's birthday... sure Happy Birthday George... "You're doing a fine job Georgie..." but the death penalty, war, the existence of a supreme being... no way..

Widget

sonofagun
12-16-2005, 02:49 AM
"Be that as it may I responded basically to someone saying it was a good idea to drop the bomb on Japan when I don't think that it was."

WE DROPPED A BOMB ON JAPAN!

MY GOD! WHEN? WHERE? WHY?

:blink:

Ian Mackenzie
12-16-2005, 04:33 AM
Another Yabber fest..I thought we already had Forum and Moderator rules...Dooo

Perhaps we need readin and writing tutors for the anal retentive element.

Frankly I prefer shootin first and ask questions later, I don't like uninvited guests or anything that resembles such.

Good thing I am retired.....yawn

4313B
12-16-2005, 05:44 AM
How would we all feel if this forum was closed down by someone that has the power to do it just because they did not like what we are talking about?Sounds fine by me. Shut it down. I would support that decision 100%.

Our forum just isn't designed to explore such issues... The President's birthday... sure Happy Birthday George... "You're doing a fine job Georgie..." but the death penalty, war, the existence of a supreme being... no way..Nor Endirol's, or whatever the hell they're called.

4313B
12-16-2005, 05:56 AM
Be that as it may I responded basically to someone saying it was a good idea to drop the bomb on Japan when I don't think that it was.I'm getting real sick and tired of you quoting me and thinking you know what was meant. You pointed out the first time that you completely missed the point and now it appears you are hellbent on letting everyone know you still miss the point. This is the last time I respond to you. You are now IGNORED.

Speaking of being on an Ignore list - Moderators, when I put someone on my ignore list I don't want to read about "hidden messages". I don't even want to know they exist! I don't want to see their names on anything related to this site, not even in the member list. Fix it.

kingjames
12-16-2005, 07:50 AM
the existence of a supreme being... no way..

I thought that we all agreed that James B Lansing was a supreme being?

I have decided to leave this thread alone, I do not want to wear out my welcome here, I can only say that if we all agreed about everything then there would be no need to discuss anything. Well, back to the other thread's of which I enjoy so much.Still looking at those 250ti's on egay oh' i'm sorry I meant ebay.Enjoy life to it's fullest!

edgewound
12-16-2005, 09:13 AM
As for censorship... That thread covers issues that are extremely complex and are almost impossible to look at without an emotional bias. Years ago when I learned of the fire bombing of Tokyo, I was shocked that we were capable of such an act. Even General LeMay (the man attributed to ordering them) said: "I suppose if I had lost the war, I would have been tried as a war criminal." Our forum just isn't designed to explore such issues... The President's birthday... sure Happy Birthday George... "You're doing a fine job Georgie..." but the death penalty, war, the existence of a supreme being... no way..

Widget

My guess is... that looking at the time of these comments...it was the beer or wine that lifted your discretionary wall. I'd say that's the case with most of the contentious thread writing here on this forum...raise your hand if you're guilty of this. I think most of us probably are.

To close a thread while a fight is brewing is probably a good idea.

Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah to all...

I deleted my first comments. I re-read Mr. Widget's post and decided that I mis-interpreted the context of his writing....and for that...I apologize.:o:

Chas
12-16-2005, 09:43 AM
I'd say that's the case with most of the contentious thread writing here on this forum...raise your hand if you're guilty of this. I think most of us probably are.

To close a thread while a fight is brewing is probably a good idea.

Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah to all...

I never even thought of that, a very good point, indeed!:cheers:

:xmas: :window:

Mr. Widget
12-16-2005, 11:11 AM
My guess is... that looking at the time of these comments...it was the beer or wine that lifted your discretionary wall. I'd say that's the case with most of the contentious thread writing here on this forum...raise your hand if you're guilty of this.No alcohol involved... a bit tired perhaps. I think I accidentally made my own point. That point being that a complex and emotionally charged discussion is difficult to carry out in a discussion forum such as ours without being misunderstood or taken out of context...

Merry Happy to all!

Widget

Bernard Wolf
12-16-2005, 11:19 AM
Thats it.. I pulled my last comment which was a rebuff of Giskards snit-fit. My reply to him was a bit contentious and we wouldn't want that.....not that he would see it mind you ;). I'm off of this thread. I give up. Catch you later.

Thanks to all.

Bernard

Rolf
12-16-2005, 11:41 AM
Hi fellow posters in this thread.

I believe very few of you really understand what is going on here.

What goes on is that "the inner circle" want to control all things on the forum. This is not correct, as it is the "outer circle" that really makes the forum alive.

Of cource the expertice know how "the inner circle" are cabable of is needed, but their statement is not always true. Maybe somebody who think their truth is the absolute truth should enter a "thinking box", and find out that there are others who might be right about something. And....what would the forum be like without all the rest, ... "the outer circle", the ones that have other opinions? I feel I belong to the outer circle.

The point is that nobody should close down a thread. We, I hope, live in a free world and does not need to be "killed" because of opinions witch difference from what is "the inner circles" ""truth"". If I get tired of reading a thread, I stop, and the rest can write whatever they want.

Remember: The members does not need the forum. The forum needs members with opinions. No members, no forum.

As stated before by others, we must be able to opinions without beeing "killed". That is if you don't want earlier political systems to come back.

Rolf

Robh3606
12-16-2005, 01:36 PM
Hello Rolf

"I believe very few of you really understand what is going on here."

Actually your the one who seems to be a bit confused.

"We, I hope, live in a free world and does not need to be "killed" because of opinions witch difference from what is "the inner circles" ""truth""."

Completely out of context. You are trying to read between the lines and frankly there's nothing there. The reason the thread was closed had nothing to do with the actual content. It was closed because of the volatillity of the content in the thread and the change in tone. The change in tone was the kicker.

Rob:)

JuniorJBL
12-16-2005, 01:51 PM
Thanks to all who operate this site. ;)

It is a place I like to come to and would hate to see it become a burden on those that help run it.
Shane;)

Ian Mackenzie
12-16-2005, 01:51 PM
Rolf,

I followed that thread and I really like Bo's pictures. However I really cringed when I read the change of tone in the following posts and my inclination at the time was closing the thread was appropriate. As it happens that was done without any influence from my self nor anyone else. There are no hidden agenda's.

Robert is one of the most logical and level headed people I have met.

The decision to close the thread made sense and all things considerated it was the right decision, it's as simple as that.

Ducatista47
12-16-2005, 10:10 PM
Well, I just read this entire thread to this point, as my computer is down, dead in fact, and I am catching up on another's machine. I can agree with pretty much everything everyone said, all good points.

There is one effect this benign and probably justifiable (by ownership and circumstances at least) censorship has. It makes a thinking fellow like myself gun shy about posting. I know not enough and too much, if you know what I mean, to post very much in the way of cutting edge speaker information. The few times I ventured a thought on matters transducer I was politely shut down by the senior meter men here. That was fine, I appreciate the Brahmans here for their knowledge and leadership. I did venture a post on the closed thread, and I thought long and hard before I did. Now this whole idea that it was about to turn ugly has me wishing I had kept my mouth shut. Which is what I most likely will do.

On other threads I had been, I hoped, injecting some good humored responses, sophomoric and otherwise. Since I have no RTA plots to defend what I am quite sure I and much more golden ears I hang with hear, I limited my contributions to useless but hopefully fun comments. The post in the closed thread was an exception, one not to be repeated I guess.

Bottom line, I think for most, turning off a discusion is more chilling than any unpleasantness the discussion itself generates. I can't argue with Rob, I can even agree with his thinking, but I feel like we all just had a bucket of cold water dumped on us.

Clark in the Land of Lincoln and JBL's

Audiobeer
12-16-2005, 10:33 PM
MERRY CHRISTMAS to all that run and mantain the boards and to those who contribute so much to the boards in thier posts and sharing thier knowledge. Any thread that takes away from that I love seeing ended. Call me selfish but I love hearing about what we enjoy, JBL's, our equipment, experiences resulting from such whether actualy related to JBLs or not. We have seen what threads can do to relationships on the boards. This board is a board about JBLs not about what's wrong with America, Europe, Canada. But as always topics can go there and a lot of other places. No problem until it gets personal. Then the moderater shuts it down. As for as Don shutting down the boards, hell it's his perogative. I have seen many a private forum end because the owner got sick and tired of the negativity that it became as a result of lack of moderation. This community is far from that and I think in part due to the common decency of everyone here and occasionaly due to moderaters. The Edirol thread still exists because no one got offended except the sock puppet or troll that started it. It was entertaining. I don't want to offend anybody but this isn't "Our board". It's a sandbox that we get to come and play in. It's not here to debate anything and to allow any discussion regardless of who is affected. I am also out of the loop and can count on 1 hand how many messages I have had with any moderators. I'm not in any inner circle. I do however feel that I could ask and get any imfo I needed as well as anyone else here. But I would be offended if I were one of them and was reffered to as the inner circle, part of a club or whatever. The only thing that seperates them from us is the work they do and the time they have to allocate to do it. I can come and go as I please and don't have to do anything. I like that! In short I have been online with Al Gore's internet since the commodore 64. I have seen the boards that last are the ones that are moderated. Those who don't like it or can't tolerate that usually go, those that do stay. Happy Holidays to all!

Mr. Widget
12-16-2005, 10:43 PM
The few times I ventured a thought on matters transducer I was politely shut down by the senior meter men here.God, I hate that too... damn bastards! I especially hate it when they are right... it is good to learn new stuff though.

When I first met Bo in person a few years back and we were discussing the forum, he asked what I'd learned from the discussion forum... I thought for a minute and said some lame response like, ferrites are good too or something like that... now several years later, it would be a lengthy discussion to cover all that I've learned. A lot of it directly from others and some of it from finding answers to the questions from others... this is a great place!

Widget

edgewound
12-16-2005, 10:53 PM
I'd like to inject some positivity on this here forum.

I've poked around other forums...not joined...but looked in occasionally and this is what I see: Overall, this is the most civil and respectful place of most that I've seen. The level of accurate knowledge, talent, and downright hospitality is definitely top notch. That's why I joined after reading through posts several months back. This is a good place to be. There is sooooo much vulgarity, meanness, nastyness at other forums, that it seems at times uncomfortable just to read the posts....because they become so ridiculous...a total waste of time. I'll end it there.

So... a holiday toast to Lansing Heritage, and all it's global members ...Hear, Hear!!!:applaud: :cheers: :applaud:

Mr. Widget
12-16-2005, 11:02 PM
Merry Christmas!

Yes,

Merry Christmas!

:xmas: :window:
MERRY CHRISTMAS to all... Happy Holidays to all!

So... a holiday toast to Lansing Heritage, and all it's global members ...Hear, Hear!!!:applaud: :cheers: :applaud:What they said!!!!:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Widget

Rolf
12-16-2005, 11:36 PM
Hi fellows.

Mayby I have been reading between the lines. I have read everybodys opinion and you have read mine.

Fine. We don't need to discuss this anymore. We all have the right to our opinion, and we probably never agree. So let us just move on.

Agreed??

Rolf

scott fitlin
12-17-2005, 10:06 AM
Merry Xmas to one and all, and a Happy new year!

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/holidays.gif http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/christmas.gif http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/sleigh.gif http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/window.gifhttp://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/window.gif http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/tree.gif

norealtalent
12-17-2005, 10:50 AM
At this wonderful time of pleasantries, I would like to impose on everyone and allow me to paraphrase a favorite Ian quote of mine. As I recall, it goes something like this...

"Damnit Giskard!!! http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/bash.gif "

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/rotfl.gif http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/rotfl.gif http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/rotfl.gif http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/rotfl.gif http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/rotfl.gif

4313B
12-17-2005, 10:52 AM
That quote would belong to Bo.

norealtalent
12-17-2005, 11:17 AM
You weren't supposed to notice!!!
Damnit Giskard :bash: :bash: :bash:

Ian Mackenzie
12-17-2005, 11:36 AM
I think you meant "Dang Yankee".

You know Bo has a sense of humour. He waved poster with Giskard on it at SF airport when I turned up last year....I thought I was having a forum "Fit" and politely turned the other way.

Ian

norealtalent
12-17-2005, 01:38 PM
My sincerest apology to Bo, Ian and Giskard. I recognized the mistake but thought it funny enough to leave. Everybody can have a laugh at my expense :D :applaud: :D

4313B
12-17-2005, 02:28 PM
I like your new signature.

norealtalent
12-17-2005, 02:34 PM
I like your new signature.

Thank you... Truth hurts sometimes, but this ain't one of them times! http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Mr. Widget
12-17-2005, 04:24 PM
That is quite funny... as well as a reasonably accurate statement.;)

Widget

Rusnzha
12-17-2005, 05:24 PM
Originally written by JuniorJBL

Thanks to all who operate this site. ;)

It is a place I like to come to and would hate to see it become a burden on those that help run it.
Shane;)

I'll drink to that! :cheers: and I will put some money where my mouth is since it's that time of year and Paypal a few bucks to Lansing Heritage.