PDA

View Full Version : C'mon, fess up..

mikebake
12-14-2005, 08:06 PM
time spent listening to music vs. time spent messing with gear..............what is your ratio?

boputnam
12-14-2005, 08:08 PM
Not a fair question, for me. :o:

mikebake
12-14-2005, 08:18 PM
Not a fair question, for me. :o:

Sure tis! Tis what ittis!:)

boputnam
12-14-2005, 08:37 PM
"ja, well, no, fine...", as they say in South Africa...

But I straddle three worlds: day-job, family and family sound, and gigging. The latter gets disproportionate attention, and at times, capital... :applaud:

Fred Sanford
12-14-2005, 09:05 PM
Not real fair for me, either, as I get paid to mess with gear 55+ hours a week.

Listening to music = time commuting = ~3 hours a day = ~75 miles! Ecch! Plus 8 hours a day of driving on weekends, lately...

Messing with gear = time working, and time playing = any other time available that I'm not sleeping.

je

boputnam
12-14-2005, 09:20 PM
OK, let's thin this down.

Maybe if we restrict this to the home system? That is, messing with new xovers, new EQ's, new cabinets, etc, but ONLY for the home system?

For me, 100% listening. Once I got the 4345's "refreshed" (new 2245's, new diaphragms, etc) and properly EQ'd, all I do is listen. The rack is set - it is immutable... :)

I have noticed of-late that the 2245's continue to settle in - even after about 12-months of casual listening, they seem ever more responsive with the passing of time. An interesting phenomenon I have not before noticed.

Ian Mackenzie
12-14-2005, 10:20 PM
OK, let's thin this down.

Maybe if we restrict this to the home system? That is, messing with new xovers, new EQ's, new cabinets, etc, but ONLY for the home system?

For me, 100% listening. Once I got the 4345's "refreshed" (new 2245's, new diaphragms, etc) and properly EQ'd, all I do is listen. The rack is set - it is immutable... :)

I have noticed of-late that the 2245's continue to settle in - even after about 12-months of casual listening, they seem ever more responsive with the passing of time. An interesting phenomenon I have not before noticed.

You not playing it LOUD enough.

chad
12-15-2005, 06:14 AM
Per week:

Time spent messing with gear "on the job" - 2.5 hrs.
Time spent listening to music "on the job" - 9 hrs.

Time spent listening to music at home - 2 hr.
Time spent messing with gear at home - 1 hr.

spkrman57
12-15-2005, 07:25 AM
Since I have acquired the JBL 4430 studio monitors the only tweaking has been for changing out preamps and amps.

I started out with Sansui AU-7900(upgraded with new outputs/drivers/black gates in signal path/film caps on PS caps.

Then I used the Sansui pre out for use with McCormack DNA-1 and found a potent punch with the sound.

Then I came into a Onkyo Integra A 8087 that plays damn good for a 30 yr old unit.

I have spent many hours with each of these setups and it is amazing the differences between them. Not major changes or deficiencies, but different details are unique to each system.

For simplicity purposes the Onkyo will stay with the 4430's for now in the living room system while I am putting my Edgarhorn up in the basement.

But to answer the question, I used to spend approx 80% listening to the system and tweaking as I go, but now I spend like only 30% tweaking and the rest enjoying the music.

I have found the 4430's are best for pop and rock, they will emulate a live concert very nicely.

Ron

clmrt
12-15-2005, 08:18 AM
Weekly -

Listening, 8 hrs
Messing, 15 min

Chas
12-15-2005, 08:44 AM

Bo, it's interesting to me that you mentioned this. I converted my 2440's to 2441 about a year or so ago and have noticed the same thing. It's wierd, but they just get better and better....:p It's more pronounced than a capacitor breaking in. Interesting - are you using Aluminum 'phragms?

JBL Dog
12-15-2005, 08:47 AM
Per week:

Time spent messing with gear "on the job" - 2.5 hrs.
Time spent listening to music "on the job" - 9 hrs.

Time spent listening to music at home - 2 hr.
Time spent messing with gear at home - 1 hr.

(Thanks for the template, chad! :D)

Per week:

Time spent messing with gear "on the job" - 4 - 5 hrs. (mostly moving the pro stuff from point "a" to point "b")

Time spent listening to music "on the job" - 12 - 16 hrs. (to be honest, I wish this was zero hours. I'm short an employee or two at the time so I have to pick up three or four shows per week).

Time spent listening to music at home - 3 - 4 hr.
Time spent messing with gear at home - 0 to 1/2 hr.

mikebake
12-15-2005, 09:25 AM
I'm short an employee or two at the time so I have to pick up three or four shows per week).
What kind of shows are you getting?

JBL Dog
12-15-2005, 09:39 AM
What kind of shows are you getting?

Most involve DJ and Karaoke shows. Between bar accounts and private parties, my company does about 1200 shows per year. Privates pay well, bar shows no so well.

Zilch
12-15-2005, 10:39 AM
It's 100% messing around here.

Three or four systems always "cooking."

RTA runs continuously.... :thmbsup:

chad
12-16-2005, 04:52 AM
It's 100% messing around here.....

:confused:

What?

Speakers (especially JBL) are meant for serious utilization in professional application and music appreciation in the home. What is this "messing around" business? Are you mad?

Zilch
12-16-2005, 10:43 AM
:confused:

What?

Are you mad?Well, they're usually playin' while I'm doin' it.

Heh.

chad
12-16-2005, 01:52 PM
Well, they're usually playin' while I'm doin' it.

Heh.

You know I'm just poking fun at you right?

Well then, you are one step ahead of me because my 2022 / 2416 / 2432 project has yet to move any air. Still waiting on parts. Meanwhile, just pure fiddling with components and such.

JuniorJBL
12-16-2005, 02:04 PM
I did not know there was a differance :blink:

Lately more music than tweeking. But I feel an itch startin:p

Zilch
12-16-2005, 02:16 PM
Well then, you are one step ahead of me because my 2022 / 2416 / 2342 project has yet to move any air. Still waiting on parts.Ooooo, that's gonna be GOOD! :bouncy:

Waitin' on new diaphragms for my 2416H-1's. It's a RACE to the listening! ;)

chad
12-17-2005, 04:10 AM
Ooooo, that's gonna be GOOD! :bouncy:

Waitin' on new diaphragms for my 2416H-1's. It's a RACE to the listening! ;):applaud:
You going with the OEM diaphragms, Radian, or other aftermarket? I've been wanting to try a set of Radians meeself.

Zilch
12-17-2005, 11:58 AM
:applaud:
You going with the OEM diaphragms, Radian, or other aftermarket? I've been wanting to try a set of Radians meeself.JBL diaphragms on order. Haven't had a chance to properly EQ and really listen to the Radian 2425 diaphragms yet.

Also gotta find a die to fix the boogered threads on my 2416H-1's.

Another idiot eBay seller didn't wrap them separately for shipping. Chipped the magnets, too.... :banghead:

NL200t3 crossovers built and READY, tho! :D

Freebie L55 boxes from Don C for the bottom:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77101&#post77101

LE14A's are out being refoamed, so you can still win. :thmbsup:

Titanium Dome
12-20-2005, 03:07 PM
I spend 95% of my time listening to and enjoying various systems. Each has its own personality: some warm and inviting, some energetic, some bombastic, some laid back, some powerful yet controlled, etc.

I also spend about 50% of my time tweaking and building. Each tweak or improvement is an attempt to modify a personality in some way.

This is possible because I naturally listen to one sytem when I work on another. For example, during the rehabbing of the L250s, I listened to the L7s run through the Technics SA-GX 910 and its P EQ. While I was pulling the guts out of the L250, I got a good dose of Eagles, Hendrix, and others out of the L7s.

When the L250s came to life through the digital Panasonic SA-XR10, I got to listen to some great Winton Marsalis, Sky, and Neil Young, while contemplating why the L7s sounded so much better on the mids and highs. So I ripped 'em open while enjoying the L250s, thinking about mods I could make to one of the L7 pairs to improve the bottom end... and so it goes.

I'm always listening to music from one system while I mess with another; that's one reason I'm so slow: I stop working to dance or sing or just sit down to glory in the sound..

boputnam
12-20-2005, 03:35 PM
...that's one reason I'm so slow: I stop working to dance or sing or just sit down to glory in the sound..:applaud:

Without that, "work" would too often be only a four-letter word...

briang
12-20-2005, 03:41 PM
My listen/tweek ratio is:

99.99 listen/00.01 tweek

It seem from the sampling of posts above mine that I'm in the minority here...:)

Fred Sanford
12-20-2005, 03:43 PM
There y'go. If I'm working on "work" at home (beta testing www.request.com (http://www.request.com/) music servers), it's through four L46s. If I'm working on home recording projects, it's through L110s. If I'm working on something in the main studio room, there's music playing through the PA over TR225s and my monitors with E120s, or a feed from the control room's pumping through the 4333As. Playing or working on guitars or basses could be through E120s, an E140, a 2135, or an Altec 8256 cabinet with two 3156 drivers. So, when I'm tweaking, I'm also listening.

Not enough of either, though.

je

Zilch
12-20-2005, 04:04 PM
[Envisions TiDome dancing while waving a crossover in one hand and a tweeter in the other.... :p ]

Titanium Dome
12-20-2005, 04:40 PM
[Envisions TiDome dancing while waving a crossover in one hand and a tweeter in the other.... :p ]

I tell ya, there's nothing like putting an LE14H-1 on your head and givin' a little swirl to Prince's "Touch"... :yes:

jim campbell
01-12-2006, 04:51 PM
I believe that stereo guys fall into 3 groups,the gearheads,the music nuts and the group that sees gear as a means to better music.Ive seen guys with super setups listening to the worst top 40 drivel and great works played on radio shack junk with the owner oblivious to the sound quality. the jb's that we devote so much time and expense to are the vehicle to the music.listening is way better than tinkering,and ive never heard a table saw or drill press that sounds as good as jbl'z