PDA

View Full Version : New Toys or Christmas Comes Early

Oldmics
12-13-2005, 10:53 PM
Finally got the Lake Countour demo I have been waiting for.

Its probably the most sophisticated digital speaker processer out there right now.

Can"t wait to twist those 100 db slopes around.

I"ll post my results as I will be comparing it heads up to an XTA 428 on a show this weekend.

Oldmics

Oldmics
12-14-2005, 09:31 PM
First thoughts

Not intuitive to navigate thru.At least the manual is in paperback for reference help.

This is gonna take some time.

God I miss knobs

Oldmics

scott fitlin
12-14-2005, 09:55 PM
I was really looking hard at purchasing one of these! I am really looking forward to your thoughts and comments on it too.

But, you see what your saying? Not intuitive to navigate through, thats the one thing I really do love about the BSS I bought, front panel control, easy to use! change shit on the fly, no laptop neccesary!

I know the BSS sounds good, although many say the Lake and the XTA sound better, but I like the BSS. I want to hear what you have to say about the Lake!

Did you get the wireless PC option?

scott fitlin
12-22-2005, 08:16 AM
Hey Oldmics, whats the scoop?

The Lake rocks, or what?

:bouncy:

Oldmics
12-22-2005, 10:52 AM
I did not use the unit on the show that I had intended to.

The Lake is not intuitive to audio guys.IMHO it is an audio piece designed by NETWORK engineers.

Now,I am an audio guy and NOT a networking person.I now see that I am scheduled for obsolence unless I get my NETWORKING chops up to speed.

I am now educating myself with the Lake software and will reattempt useage and comparison of the unit at a gig in January.Again this requires my familarity with the networking side of the unit before I can do the audio tricks that I wish to attempt.

The Lake allows for some wild audio tricks to be acomplished that my XTA,s do not do.

I have heard the Lake in demos where I already knew what the speaker systems responded like and was impressed with the overall sonic result.I just want to compare it heads up with the same programs loaded between the Lake and an XTA and listen to the converter differences.

I will have the demo for awhile.Its just that theres not too many gigs happening (at all) where I will have the luxury of test time availiable.

I think you would like the sonic results with your system Scott once all of the networking bullshit is in order.But it is a new learning curve and its a real challenge.

Oldmics-Learning something new everyday!

scott fitlin
12-22-2005, 11:25 AM
I will wait! :D

Mike Caldwell
12-23-2005, 07:45 AM
Hello
I'll be waiting to hear your thoughts as well.
I need someone to push me off the digital cliff and take the plunge into
DSP's for my system/systems. I have used many DBX models and a few BSS in other systems and doing installs. Like Scott said the '' no laptop neccesary" is a plus with front panel controls even though most are faster to do at least the initial set up with a lap top. With a front panel controlled unit you are relying on one less piece of equipment that could quit or lock up at the wrong time, like there would be a right time for it to happen! My biggest underlying concern with any DSP unit is reliability, outdoor shows, 90 plus degrees, all day in the heat.....or just a glitch in power ect. that could crash the unit. In 25 plus years I have only had one minor analog crossover problem.
Scott what model BSS units do you have?

Mike Caldwell

scott fitlin
12-23-2005, 10:12 AM
I have the 366T, and I like it!

Much flexibility, ease of operation, clean sound!