PDA

View Full Version : cleaning old drivers?

jim3860
12-13-2005, 10:50 AM
Does anyone have any ideas about how to clean a pair of old L112 woofers? i did a search and did see one post about this, one fellow seemed to think painting them was a good approach, Another seemed to feel bleaching was a good idea. I like the bleaching idea but am afraid of possible damage to the foam surrounds. any ideas or proven theorys will be helpful. I just dont want to damage them in any way, i love my speakers :) most of the discolorations appear to be tobbacco smoke related? I think. HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all

Robh3606
12-13-2005, 10:58 AM
Well I assume the white cones have a brownish tinge to them??? On coated cones like 128, 128-1 I use a semistiff brush to get as much loose yuck off first then a lightly dampened soft cloth to gently wipe down cones and it seems to work reasonably well. I would be affraid to use bleach as it could attack the cones as well. You could paint them but I would try the simplest things first to see where you get first. On raw paper I wouldn't use any liquids at all just a soft brush and some regulated compressed air.

Rob:)

Mr. Widget
12-13-2005, 11:26 AM
Here is a thread that tackles the issue.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4275

Widget

jim3860
12-13-2005, 06:32 PM
Well I assume the white cones have a brownish tinge to them??? On coated cones like 128, 128-1 I use a semistiff brush to get as much loose yuck off first then a lightly dampened soft cloth to gently wipe down cones and it seems to work reasonably well. I would be affraid to use bleach as it could attack the cones as well. You could paint them but I would try the simplest things first to see where you get first. On raw paper I wouldn't use any liquids at all just a soft brush and some regulated compressed air.

Rob:) Thanks to Robh3606 and mr Widget for your help and advice:D I have cleaned them using a solution of warm water and tsp- tri sodium phosphate with a soft towel it appears to have greatly improved the look allready, :applaud: I will do another cleaning again tommorrow after every thing drys out well. I wish i had a digital camera to show the difference before and after. HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL.