PDA

View Full Version : looking for improved push connectors on compression drivers

frank23
12-10-2005, 02:34 PM
I just found out that on all my compression drivers, the connection between the push connectors and internal wiring was not optimal. On one, I got rid of about 1ohm of resistance between the connector and the diaphragm by tightening the bolt that holds the push connector and wire together.

I know these drivers were designed for "field replaceable parts", but why does my signal have to pass through a 1cm long metal [non brass or copper] bolt before it goes through a copper wire again, and the connectivity is depending on the matter in which the bolt is secured in the push connector?

Has anyone altered these connectors in 2420 or 2440 drivers using brass solderable connectors?

frank

LE15-Thumper
12-11-2005, 04:24 PM
I did open up all of my old compression drivers and found the same thing you did. Yep, all those wax seals are now gone :banghead: Those screws had worked themselves loose. I just tightened them up and put the back covers back on.

Steve Schell
12-13-2005, 01:26 AM
Frank, you have pointed out a common problem with many drivers; crummy connectors. Most of them rely on mechanical contact to the internal wires, and these tend to work loose and oxidize over time.

My partner and I are finally about ready to begin production of our compression drivers. We have struggled with the problem of finding the right connectors for the voice coil leads, and finally hit paydirt. We found a quantity of very high quality connectors from a surplus source and bought all he had. They are made to military specifications and intended for watertight contact in hostile environments. They are silver plated, and feature very heavy spring pressure on the external wires, clamping them between textured flat surfaces in the jaws. Internally, they are configured for soldered contact at the end of the threaded post.

They are made by Eby Company. Follow the link below, and click on the link to "Watertight binding posts." I don't know of retail sources for these, but Eby could likely provide this information.

http://www.ebycompany.com/binding-posts.shtml

frank23
12-13-2005, 01:46 PM
thanks! there is a lot of choice there. I hope I don't have to order 1000 in one go...

Frank

Steve Schell
12-13-2005, 02:14 PM
Frank, please let us know what you are able to find out. Eby also makes the type of post with the rotating knurled outer cap which clamps the external wire in the hole with an internal sliding slug. Click the link to "Metal binding posts" on the Eby site to see these. These were used on the early Western Electric and Lansing drivers, many Altec drivers, and much industrial equipment in the old days. To me these are much better than the common spring loaded "guillotine" type posts, offering more surface area and greater clamping pressure.

LE15-Thumper
12-14-2005, 12:38 AM
Check out figure # 3 :D

http://www.ebycompany.com/binding-posts/spring-binding-posts.html

Looks like old faithful