PDA

View Full Version : Altec Model 9 plea for help

dilbertgonebad
12-08-2005, 04:07 PM
The story:
A long time ago in a place far far away I received from an uncle a pair of Altec Model 9 series 2 speakers. The speakers worked quite well for a very long while. After some time the foam covers completed drying out and began to flake off onto the floor. As this was both annoying and messy (and I figured that the speakers looked way cooler with the covers off) I removed them. One morning sometime after I awoke to the most particular scratching sound. Looking over I see our cat using one of his nine lives to scratch out the cones of these my most favorite speakers. Being to young, to foolish and to cheep to stop and repair them at the time (I didn't know untill today that could have had the cones rebuilt :( ) I continued to use them in this damaged condition until the surrounds completely where completely destroyed. At which point they went into storage.

Fast forward 10 years.

Older now. Still kinda cheap. We will not comment on my foolishness (Some where along the line I had removed one of the 12" subs in order to find a replacement, and lost it):banghead:

All I have left are the cabinets (which I still think are darn good looking) only one of which has the 12" sub, and the other only a hole. (If I only knew then what I know now).

The bottom line:

The question becomes what to do? Do I

A) Toss what is left in to the truck for the next landfill run? And replace them with something from ???. (would really rather not)

B) Replace the subs. But with what? My current understanding is that I really should have the T/S numbers to be making a reasonable choice as to a replacement. Yet the closest I have come was to find speaker part number (#23897) and the factory repair solution (replace them).

C) I swore there was an option C...

Thanks

sonofagun
12-09-2005, 08:25 AM
No biggie here - there are many refoaming/repair outfits who can repair or recommend new replacements for the woofers in your cabs. The other drivers and xover should be checked out. Now about the grilles...ahem (clearing throat sounds)...

there is someone on these forum somewhere's who just happened to make replacement foam grilles for all Altecs speakers that used these grilles for years before Altec went bye bye. He's got a funny name something like son of a bi**h, or doggonit or what-the-heck! Look around...you'll find him! :blink:

You DID keep the grille frames didn't you?

Where you located?

dilbertgonebad
12-09-2005, 09:47 AM
You DID keep the grille frames didn't you?

Where you located?

as for Item 1.. a no I didn't keep the grille frames.. :banghead: again too young to aprecate what I had at the time.

sorry haven't really updated my profile.
I live in IOWA.....:bouncy: been here about 5 years now.

Regis
12-09-2005, 01:14 PM
For speakers, try the folks at Great Plains Audio. From what I understand, they are producing the original Altec drivers and can repair them, as this company was started by a former Altec Lansing engineer. Good luck on your model 9's, as they are highly desireable. Don't take em' to the landfill. Make new custom grills if necessary with black cloth.

http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/

CONVERGENCE
12-09-2005, 01:52 PM
Hi

Regis is right contact Great Plains. Your woofers are 12", 60 watts continuous

275 peak.

Good Luck:bouncy: