PDA

View Full Version : Old Fool

magicdog39
12-07-2005, 08:36 AM
First let me say hello. Its my first post so please be kind. Yes I'm a fool. Ten years ago I sold my pair of JBL L96 speakers for $50. They had not been in a good environment before I got them. The old Ladies were used in an Auto Body Shop for a few years. The grills were missing, and the Walnut cabs had Automotive paint overspray on them. They sounded wonderful! :applaud: To make my point of how good they sounded, I traded the shop owner four nearly new Blose 301's for the old girls with no remorse. The woofer surounds started to blow out, and I couldn't find new drivers for them. I wish I had found you guys back then. My wife wanted me to get something "pritty" so we bought the:barf: Puke Audio S10's. I need my JBL Thunder, and Silk back! I just don't know if I should find a pair of the L96 or go with the L100 Centry. Sure wish I could go to the store today and purchase a brand new pair of the L96's.

Don Mascali
12-07-2005, 08:57 AM
Welcome aboard :applaud:

L100s are getting exspensive these days. A bidding war erupts whenever they show on EBAY. However the L100t or L100t3 are some of the most underrated speakers out there. They can be found cheap and the 2214 woofer goes a little deeper than the originals and the ti dome tweeter is much nicer IMHO.

Anything JBL will do though.

duaneage
12-07-2005, 11:27 AM
I have the L100T and second their recommendation. they have pro drivers just like the studio monitors but without the aura of being a Studio Monitor.

i built my 4411 clones because they fetch 4-700 dollars nowadays and they usually need refoaming and grilles.

Ifyou are handy with a table saw you might be able to build a nice system. We have all the specs and diagrams in addition to parts sources.

Welcome aboard!

bigstereo
12-07-2005, 03:02 PM
First let me say hello. Its my first post so please be kind. Yes I'm a fool. Ten years ago I sold my pair of JBL L96 speakers for $50. They had not been in a good environment before I got them. The old Ladies were used in an Auto Body Shop for a few years. The grills were missing, and the Walnut cabs had Automotive paint overspray on them. They sounded wonderful! :applaud: To make my point of how good they sounded, I traded the shop owner four nearly new Blose 301's for the old girls with no remorse. The woofer surounds started to blow out, and I couldn't find new drivers for them. I wish I had found you guys back then. My wife wanted me to get something "pritty" so we bought the:barf: Puke Audio S10's. I need my JBL Thunder, and Silk back! I just don't know if I should find a pair of the L96 or go with the L100 Centry. Sure wish I could go to the store today and purchase a brand new pair of the L96's.

Mdog if you were to decide on getting another pair of speakers, I am here to tell you that if you're into ebay, there is quite a nice variety of jbl's up for grabs there at the moment. Just in case you have'nt been looking there.

Rj