PDA

View Full Version : Pix of my L222 DISCO

ngccglp
12-06-2005, 07:00 AM
Just got these home. The surrounds are newly changed, need to run in, the bass sounds a bit stiff. This is my first speaker with passive radiator. The Bass goes kinda deep. Not sure what is the spec of the L222.

chad
12-06-2005, 12:43 PM
1) Upon opening this thread, I see no L222's.

2) Upon entering my own home, I see no L222's either.

This is a very sad day.

John W
12-06-2005, 02:05 PM
My home has a pair my wife no longer wants to see.

Regis
12-06-2005, 06:01 PM
My home has a pair my wife no longer wants to see.

Boy, I'm sure glad you added pictures of what exactly you were talking about!:p

ngccglp
12-07-2005, 09:25 AM
Got it, phew!!!

John W
12-07-2005, 09:38 AM
Very nice. :applaud:

Zilch
12-07-2005, 11:11 AM
I've run the LF section successfully as a sub.

There's a PR sub project to be made using the L22x as a model.

That belongs over in Technical , tho.

And I gotta read up some more, first.

Point is, bass is good.... :thmbsup:

4313B
12-07-2005, 11:26 AM
I've run the LF section successfully as a sub.

There's a PR sub project to be made using the L22x as a model.

That belongs over in Technical , tho.

And I gotta read up some more, first.

Point is, bass is good.... :thmbsup:Actually it belongs in a forum titled DIY along with alot of the other speculative ruminations currently posted in the Technical Forum. The PR sub project using the LE14 and PR15C is ancient news G.T. and I hashed out for the final time in the late 80's. We abandoned it as a viable solution. You guys are naturally free to hash it all out again and I'm sure you'll post how splendiferous it is. :rotfl:

This site is getting more and more hilarious by the day... :banghead:

Nice examples of L222's ngccglp and John W! :yes:

Mr. Widget
12-07-2005, 11:34 AM
This site is getting more and more hilarious by the day... :banghead:
Hey, could you point me to those threads... I've been busy lately and have missed a lot of the better ones, I'm sure. :blink:

Widget

4313B
12-07-2005, 11:37 AM
Hey, could you point me to those threads... I've been busy lately and have missed a lot of the better ones, I'm sure. :blink:

Widget :barf:

Zilch
12-07-2005, 12:26 PM
The PR sub project using the LE14 and PR15C is ancient news G.T. and I hashed out for the final time in the late 80's. We abandoned it as a viable solution.The availability of LE14H-3 alters none of that?

What was deemed to be the fundamental shortcoming of the approach?

spkrman57
12-07-2005, 12:40 PM
I am guessing that a LE14 subwoofer system would be better implemented using a ported alignment.

Just my guess of course.

Ron

Mr. Widget
12-07-2005, 01:09 PM
In my opinion most woofer alignments are best not using a PR... I am not a fan of the "full" sound they tend to offer.

Widget

4313B
12-07-2005, 02:04 PM
The availability of LE14H-3 alters none of that?

What was deemed to be the fundamental shortcoming of the approach?The JBL PR's were ancient by then and simply couldn't add any performance benefit to the 124/2203, LE14 and 136/2231/2235 that a properly designed ported system using those drivers was capable of. (The PR8 and PR10 had always been good matches for the LE8 and LE10 in small volumes). As Gordon has pointed out, there are far better PR's out there today and probably for a lot less money. I think the current price for a PR15C recone is pretty steep.

I am guessing that a LE14 subwoofer system would be better implemented using a ported alignment.

Just my guess of course.

RonYes and the lower order the better. You may notice that JBL transducers tend to slip into quasi-third order alignments rather easily.

In my opinion most woofer alignments are best not using a PR... I am not a fan of the "full" sound they tend to offer.

WidgetYes... one engineer described their character as "wooly".

Same thing with higher order assisted alignments such as the B380, B460 and 4645's using bump filters to create 5th and 6th order alignments. Yeah, they go real deep but they just don't sound real musical compared to lower order systems. They just don't. And some people won't listen to anything unless it's an acoustic suspension or infinite baffle design. Those types of systems usually swing too far the other way for my personal taste but some people swear by them.

ngccglp
12-07-2005, 02:30 PM
they go real deep but they just don't sound real musical

So... its not the running in then, it is the characteristic of the PR sound. It sounds very different from my Altec A7 in the bass region. But I still won't say they are "wooly", bass notes articulation could be heard clearly. I think JBL tried hard to voice this speaker to sound like their studio monitors, incidentally setting the standard for much of Japanese 80s floorstanders in terms of look and sound.:D

But these babies need solid state amps (I'm using naim) to make you realise just how good the transient response of the LE14 is.

4313B
12-07-2005, 03:09 PM
But I still won't say they are "wooly", bass notes articulation could be heard clearly.I wasn't referring to the L220 or L222 specifically. I was responding to Widget's quote. One should probably view the L150, L150A, L220 and L222 as best case studies of higher compliance JBL PR-based systems.