PDA

View Full Version : Query on L222

ngccglp
12-05-2005, 07:32 AM
Hi,

Does anybody know the material of the surround of the 5" mid driver of the L222 DISCO? Is it subjectable to deterioration like foam surround?

Thanks.

norealtalent
12-05-2005, 08:17 AM
I don't know if stock is LE5-6 or LE5-9, I've seen L220's with both. Anyway, NONE of the LE5 series mids used the foam surrounds which deteriorate with time. I believe early versions were full paper surrounds with a flexible coating, then they went to linen surrounds with that same type coating. I have seen some that were dried and cracked but only when subjected to the most adverse environmental conditions. Properly cared for, they should last a lifetime...:bouncy:

ngccglp
12-05-2005, 02:44 PM
Thanks. I'll try to crank it a bit to listen out for audible distortion, which may signal a crack or something. So far, at mid volume, sounds OK.

ngccglp
12-11-2005, 05:00 AM
Oh, no, the left LE5-9 is buzzing, after a week of rocking. Any idea if that is repairable or will I be better off replacing it?

Not sure what is the current replacement model of the LE5-9 ?

Thanks.

4313B
12-11-2005, 05:17 AM
JBL has discontinued the C8RLE59 recone kit. Some service centers might have stock left. Start calling. Otherwise look for LE5-9's or LE5-11's on eBay.

ngccglp
12-11-2005, 05:38 AM
Thanks Giskard.

I'm worried about buying old drivers from ebay. If mine is faulty, I suspect the remaining life of most vintage LE5 in the ebay would be in a similar condition. Unless they are new old stock. And I have no way of checking.

I've just made an enquiry to my local JBL dealer to see if they can order a pair of 105H which is used in the new 4318 and 4312D.

Will I hear a very significant difference in sound? I reckon since there a pots for mid in my L222, I should be able to fine tune the overall balance of the sound.

David

ngccglp
12-11-2005, 06:22 AM
I tried to follow the OM to remove the rear panel. After removing the ten screws, I could not remove the rear panel, its too tightly fitted.

Is there anyway I can do this safely w/o damaging the finish on the rear panel?

I was thinking of removing the four screws that holds the L-PADs, if I can push- in the piece of panel that holds the L-PADs, I would have a good grip to remove to rear panel. My worry is that the panel that hold the L-PADs are glued to the rear panel.

Any advice? Thanks.

David

4313B
12-11-2005, 08:48 AM
I've just made an enquiry to my local JBL dealer to see if they can order a pair of 105H which is used in the new 4318 and 4312D.

Will I hear a very significant difference in sound?I'm sure they will be "different".

4313B
12-11-2005, 08:50 AM
Is there anyway I can do this safely w/o damaging the finish on the rear panel?Use a big suction cup.

You might ask Steve Gonzales. I think he's removed a few of them recently.

4313B
12-11-2005, 01:55 PM
JBL has discontinued the C8RLE59 recone kit. Some service centers might have stock left. Start calling. Otherwise look for LE5-9's or LE5-11's on eBay.Looks like JBL might have run a new batch of C8RLE59 recone kits. :) They also have some NOS LE5-11's still in stock.

ngccglp
12-11-2005, 03:36 PM
Hi Giskard,

Do you know how i can order the NOS LE5? Just in case my local JBL dealer is not able to get them for me.

Thanks.

ngccglp
12-13-2005, 03:48 PM
Hi,

For the L220/222, does anybody know whether the sub-panel that holds the L-Pads is glued to the rear panel? Or just held by the four screws?

I have problem removing the rear panel (to replace my faulty mid driver) and am thinking of removing the four screws that holds the L-Pads sub-panel so that I can push in the sub-panel and get a good grip on the rear panel to pull it out.

After removing the four screws, I tried to push-in the L-Pads sub-panel but it seemed to be glued.:banghead: I was thinking of knocking it in with a mallet, but thought I'd better check with this forum first before operation.

Thanks

JuniorJBL
12-13-2005, 04:05 PM
I do not know if the l220 is like the l250's but on my 250's I put a handle on my removable rear plate. This way I could remove it anytime. I also put electrical tape on the sealing edges so it would seal when I put it back on. You can find nice handles at lots of places. I put nice stainless steel handles on and they look good.
Hope this helps.
Shane

ngccglp
12-13-2005, 10:54 PM
Thanks.

That's a great idea. Actually I was hoping that I could do so without affecting the look of the speakers. Seems like I have no better choice.

JuniorJBL
12-14-2005, 02:11 AM
I put a screw about where I needed for one of the handles and used a pry bar to remove the cover ( it was very tight) and poped it off. Then I drilled out the hole and put another hole in and mounted the handle.
Otherwise you will have to make another cover.
That is how I did it.
Shane;)

ngccglp
12-14-2005, 03:14 PM
Hi Shane,

I was thinking of using 2 to 3 mm thickness aluminium or steel bar, drill 2 holes to match the distance of 2 of the screws that holds the L-Pads sub-panel. This would make a good enough handle, and hopefully I will be able to pop the rear panel off.

Wonder if they glued the rear panel? its so tight. :banghead:

Thanks
david

JuniorJBL
12-14-2005, 03:25 PM
Hi Shane,

Wonder if they glued the rear panel? its so tight. :banghead:

Thanks
david

No I do not think so but yes they are tight;)

John W
12-14-2005, 04:24 PM
The back panel on my L222 wasn't glued. I think there is a rubber gasket that gets a little sticky with age, sort of like you find on some woofers.
I remember that they were a little difficult to remove initially. I think I was able to gently pry them off, though.

ngccglp
12-16-2005, 02:23 PM
Finally...:bouncy: The handle was a great idea...Thanks.

Quite a complex network...sorry for the poor quality of the pic.

JuniorJBL
12-16-2005, 03:37 PM
I am glad that worked for you.

Now start playing:applaud:

ngccglp
12-21-2005, 11:25 PM
While waiting for my new 104H-2 mid drivers to arrive, I would like to re-paint the baffle and rear panels of the L222.

Any idea what type of paint JBL uses? I noticed it is matt black, yet its quite smooth to the touch. This is unlike most matt black paint that is rough to touch.

Thanks.