PDA

View Full Version : 4410A`s questions

xncnc
12-03-2005, 08:06 PM
Hey guys, I have a set of 4410A`s and im wondering about the servicing process for them, they are a couple years old and i believe at about this point they need the outer foam on the woofer replaced.. my questions ;

Should anything else be replaced on these? They sound ok with a alesis ra100..

How much will a refoam/any other repair cost for these?

Will it change the sound on them?

Im thinking selling them to someone handy would be a better option because im positive the service around here (brooklyn ny) will just be a scam and destroy the speakers..

Any suggestions?
Sorry for crappy photos =(
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/xncnc/2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/xncnc/1.jpg

Thanks

Zilch
12-03-2005, 08:10 PM
I see nothing wrong with the foam.

It'll be obvious when the foam needs replacing, and will cost about $40 per driver.

Leave 'em alone, otherwise.

No doubt there are reputable authorized factory service providers nearby.

Go to the JBL Pro website for the list....

xncnc
12-04-2005, 09:17 AM
Yeah its not really visable through the pics, but there is a small crack forming along the very edge of the foam..

If i get them refoamed.. is there a way to tell if the techs did a good job with the replacement? besides the obvious visual inspection?

After some searches i found the guy who sells the surrounds on eBay, Is his material better than the shop would have?

To confirm that the foam surround is dead, what kind of sound should it be producing- compared to good foam surround..

Thanks

johnaec
12-04-2005, 09:24 AM
If the surrounds are starting to crack at the edges, it sounds like they've pretty much dried up and could use replacing. If you have someone do it, be sure they know to glue the new surrounds to the back side of the cone. Many places take the easy way out and glue it to the front, (incorrect), but that really trashes any resale value...

Also, have them carefully trim the old gaskets off for reuse. Many times they'll throw those away and put cheap cardboard ones back on, with too many holes, etc., which again, really kills the value.

John

Zilch
12-04-2005, 01:43 PM
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=469

Mr. Widget
12-04-2005, 01:51 PM
I would use John's two cautions as a test for the potential recone shop. Ask if they do/will reuse the gasket and if the new surround will be glued to the front or back. If they say they do preserve the gaskets and only glue the foam on the rear as it was done originally they are likely a good shop and will give you a quality job. If they think you are being too picky or think you are nuts for asking stay clear.

I would also ask to see an example of their work. Virtually no shop will lay down a glue line around the dust cap that is as nice as the original, but a good shop will do a tidy job and a slacker will create quite a lumpy puddle of glue around the dust cap.

Widget

Zilch
12-05-2005, 12:45 AM
Audivex 2235H dust calotte glue job:

I've watched him do it.

By hand....

:thmbsup:

xncnc
12-16-2005, 07:59 PM
Well i tried all the local dealers listed and none do refoaming, just recones... is there any reputable places i may be able to mail the woofers to? anyone have experience with?

looking at the instructions its a pretty simple task, but as a first timer i would rather not risk it. :(

Zilch
12-16-2005, 09:32 PM
Click "User CP" above to enable location display in your profile.

I had to reread the thread to remember where you are.

Seems silly to send them out here to CA for refoam, but that's a possibility.

PM member Scott Fitlin for local suggestions. He's in Brooklyn....

xncnc
12-16-2005, 10:22 PM
Scott confirmed, ill have to look in other states =(

whats the name of the CA place you mentioned?

Mr. Widget
12-16-2005, 10:58 PM
Are you sure you don't want to do it yourself? Bo's thread that Zilch posted above pretty much covers it all... many here have done their own refoam jobs with successful outcomes.

Widget

Zilch
12-16-2005, 11:55 PM
What's the name of the CA place you mentioned?Audivex. Here in Berkeley. (510) 527-1391. He did the work I showed above....