PDA

View Full Version : L65- what would you like to see?

mbottz
12-03-2005, 02:07 PM
I am restoring a set of L65's and wanted a bit of help choosing the right venier for them. Should I use Rosewood or go back with Walnut. Let me know your thoughts. If I dont use walnut do you think it will hurt the future resale value?

Thanks

Mike

Titanium Dome
12-03-2005, 02:28 PM
Rosewood will be very attractive and unique, but it probably will hurt you in the purist market. OTOH, if someone wants a one-of-a-kind, then you've got the product.

My feeling is that there are far more purists who want sameness as compared to people who want different. To the purist, "different" means "not right."

johnaec
12-03-2005, 03:14 PM
If I dont use walnut do you think it will hurt the future resale value?'Probably just about any veneer will hurt the resale value, (whether warranted or not). I vote rosewood. What color are the grilles? If they need redoing, I'd suggest getting some of the blue JBL grille cloth from Zilch, though I don't know how that'd look with rosewood. It obviously looks great with walnut, (though not available originally on L65's, as far as I know.)

John

Mr. Widget
12-03-2005, 03:23 PM
Rosewood will be very attractive... Yeah Baby!!!!

...but it probably will hurt you in the purist market.There are so damn many L65s on the market ranging from take it away please to like new condition, I don't think the "purist market" is an issue with these... if they turn out nicely they will be worth more than originals that are in lesser condition.

Go for it!!! Just please, no oak... Ok, I do like the very light oak on the Decade speakers, but generally is looks so Home Depot kitchen cabinet... I shouldn't post that for fear of offending so many...

Widget

mbottz
12-03-2005, 09:50 PM
'Probably just about any veneer will hurt the resale value, (whether warranted or not). I vote rosewood. What color are the grilles? If they need redoing, I'd suggest getting some of the blue JBL grille cloth from Zilch, though I don't know how that'd look with rosewood. It obviously looks great with walnut, (though not available originally on L65's, as far as I know.)

John

The original grills are blue!!. They need to be redone as the frames are broken and the cloth looks like S$%#. Any body know the production numbers of the different color grills?

Mike

johnaec
12-04-2005, 07:00 AM
The original grills are blue!!.Is it that bright blue I've seen on some other JBL home speakers? The blue grille cloth Zilch has available is the darker blue used on JBL "pro" cabinets, sourced from JBL's actual supplier. That would look great with walnut, and I suspect rosewood also.

OK - check out this link, especially the last 2 pages, where there are pics of a complete large 4350 system redone in rosewood veneer and JBL blue cloth - magnificent! http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5885&highlight=rosewood

John