PDA

View Full Version : Infinite Baffle Sub Project

Zekeman
12-03-2005, 08:43 AM
Has anyone ever built an IB sub using JBL's? ...if so what models?

I designed, built, and installed one of these beasts and I am here to say that it really sounds beautiful (using Dayton IB subs - 15"). Once I got reluctant agreement from my wife to "CUT A HOLE IN THE FAMILY ROOM FLOOR" (WHAT?!!?) ... I snapped into action.

It's built like a ship and kicks. Check the link for pix.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/glze/album?.dir=/16b3

Wardsweb
12-03-2005, 09:35 AM
Nice job there. Don't think it will work for my house built on a concrete slab.

Titanium Dome
12-03-2005, 11:09 AM
I've considered the in-ceiling sub, but as for the in-floor sub was apprehensive about spilling 12 ounces of Long Island Iced Tea into the darn thing.

Zilch
12-03-2005, 11:15 AM
There's an entire website devoted to similar endeavors that's somewhere on the forum. Link us to it, please. :thmbsup:

Zekeman
12-04-2005, 11:28 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~infinitelybaffled/page2IB-Gallery.html

doodlebug
12-04-2005, 11:48 AM
I lived in a 4-story, concrete block and brick dorm in college which had the typical stair systems on the ends of the halls. This being a 'suitcase' college on the weekends, - that is, the majority of students went home to work on the farm - a fellow audio engineer-in-training and I removed the double doors on the entrance to our hallway's stair exit and replaced it with 3/4" plywood panels to which we had installed a set of woofers taken from an old Fender guitar speaker systems left by a guy dropping out of school.

So, we used the entire 4-story hallway area as the temporary IB. Sounded great with Led Zep and Yes....until we blew the little KLH amp I had. I was too poor then to have any test gear but wonder what the resonant frequency might have been. By the end of the weekend, we were being offered beer to dismantle it...bids went up to a case of Schlitz by 10PM when we put the doors back up. My main engineering prof was impressed with the report, too.

Cheers,

David

Zilch
12-04-2005, 12:02 PM
You must mean "The Cult of the Infinitely Baffled?" Yup. That is SO fun.

It's what happens when mobile beaters grow up. :p

[Or don't.... Heh, heh.]

Mr. Widget
12-04-2005, 12:06 PM
Who you kidding Zilch... your monster JBL TBC next door is basically the same thing.:spchless:

The only thing missing is the infinite!

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6782

Widget

Zilch
12-04-2005, 12:30 PM
HUH?

Somebody alleged I was MATURE?

:die:

jcrobso
01-14-2009, 03:03 PM
IB sub woofers amazing, but many of use don't have the rooms to do this.
So we end up with ported boxes or maybe a K-Horn. John

Hoerninger
01-14-2009, 03:31 PM
There is no roof necessary, go into the garden (summer is ahead):

Take a high Q broad band speaker, mount it into a baffle and place one edge against the wall of the house. It will be at least half of an IB. There is a very clean cab resonance free sound in the garden, really nice ...
:) ... in the summer time ...

spkrman57
01-14-2009, 03:46 PM
I bet the neighbors just love the sound at night!;)

Ron