PDA

View Full Version : Altec 906-8A

Dylanl
12-02-2005, 07:22 PM
What is this speaker's make-up and is it worth purchasing?

Thanks, All

Dylanl
12-03-2005, 07:11 AM
I would like to go and take a look at it. It is supposed to be in a box?

Help please.

Earl K
12-03-2005, 09:32 AM
What is this speaker's ( Altec 906-8a ) make-up and is it worth purchasing?

Unless there's an actual box with this number designation, then ;

- The 906-8a is a compression driver . Look inside the 1993 Pro catalogue ( within the Library ) to see what I mean .

- The 906-8a is a driver that was parachuted into the Altec catalogue by EV after MarkIV Intl. bought out Altec. The driver is essentially a relabelled EV DH-2012 with a more realistic HF extension limit applied to it ( 13,000 hz after EQ ). It looks like you'll want to use a tweeter with this driver. The 3" diaphragm has an aluminum dome suspended with a Kapton surround ( like the older Altec 291 approach ).

- IMHO ; this part has just about zero caché going for it ( from an "eBay investment" perspective ). But then I like 288-8K compression drivers with the tangential aluminum surround , ( so I'm quite biased ). If you buy , hopefully you'll pay little . Scour the internet for others' opinions or sonic preferences on the merits of using an Altec 291 vs the 288 ( down to 500 hz ) . Peruse the A.A. websites' archives in the the High Efficiency forum . I know from time to time this subject comes up. These opinions will give you a hint of what to expect if you decide to purchase .

regards

DoctorMendel
07-27-2013, 11:04 AM
Thanks for starting that topic.