PDA

View Full Version : Going to be a fun X-mas

rockecat
12-02-2005, 06:19 PM
About six month's ago we moved out of state and my son stayed behind do to having a very good job,he had just turned 21. Over thanksgiving he made his first real roadtrip to visit we spent much of the weekend listening to music taking turns as to who gets to play what although our taste vary he has a great love for music and I am very grateful for that. It was a blast and he kept making the comment how he missed having a decent stereo. I clued in right away so I am going to put together a starter system for him. He lives in a small studio apartment so can't go to crazy he may get booted for cranking it up. I picked up a very minty Yamaha reciever and I have my eye on a very nice technic table and he has a decent cd player.

Now for the fun part I need speakers the 4401 kinda catches my eye but I have never heard them or I can give up my L56's not really using them anyway and I am in the market for a pair of 4410's. if you have some input on the smaller Jbl's that would be great.:)

boputnam
12-02-2005, 06:42 PM
.. if you have some input on the smaller Jbl's that would be great.Define "smaller"...

If you mean pretty damned small, the 4301B is a stunner. Even though only a two-way, it will simply surprise you. I recently got a pm from a newbie here who did his homework on the forum (search) and tried a pair - and he knows something about speakers and JBL. He was really, really happy.

As well, the 4408's are goofy good, but don't do the bottom end as well as larger brethren.

But, back to about you. Two-way, three-way, big (12" or 15" LF) or what? There are twice as many opinions as members, here...

speakerdave
12-02-2005, 06:49 PM
And budget.

rockecat
12-02-2005, 07:19 PM
I would like to stay around $200.00 for speakers give or take, have seen 4401's go for that range used. Other possibilities would include maybe the L19 or 4208. His apartment is very small so low and mid level listening is the priority.

speakerdave
12-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Give him the L56's.

rockecat
12-02-2005, 08:02 PM
Give him the L56's.

That is exactly what my wife said, I guess it is just really hard to give some stuff up, they are soooo minty but that would free up some funds to get something for me!! :applaud:

speakerdave
12-02-2005, 08:15 PM
Winners everywhere!

Mr. Widget
12-02-2005, 08:57 PM
That is exactly what my wife said, I guess it is just really hard to give some stuff up...Well, they'll still be in the family and we may gain another forum member.:applaud:

Widget

rockecat
12-03-2005, 12:46 PM
I hooked up the Yamaha and 56's last night very nice combination. I am sure he will be very happy.:) I was very impressed with the Yamaha reciever there is something about the classic stereo equipment that really trip's my trigger the look, feel and sound are truly timeless.