PDA

View Full Version : SONY 2" SUP-T11

sa660
12-02-2005, 09:36 AM
Will anyone had exposure to such equipment? Sorry this is not JBL but I felt it look goog enough to be in this Thread.
The only information that I good find:
2" compression drivers
40µm Aluminum diaphragm
600Hz to 24Khz
110dB
32Watt
176x180mm
16Kg
Is it easy to get diaphargm etc...?

4313B
12-02-2005, 09:57 AM
<sigh>

sa660
12-02-2005, 10:48 AM
Voila :o:

Earl K
12-02-2005, 11:44 AM
Hi Richard

........... but I felt it look goog enough to be in this Thread.

- Do you have any pictures to share of the referenced driver ?
- I've never heard nor seen anything on it ( though I've never gone looking ) .

Is it easy to get diaphargm etc...?

- I would really really doubt it, being Sony Pro, you can bet that it's likely discontinued or about to be ( if it's not selling well enough to make a certain figure in global sales ).

EDIT Apparently my compression driver pics are for the model that you're referring to .
- So, here's what I have ( obtained a couple of years back ) from eBay.
- Till I saw these I had no idea that Sony had ever made a compression driver .

EDIT And here are more pics of the companion woofer within that series ( from a just completed eBay auction .)
;)

Cyclotronguy
12-02-2005, 02:15 PM
Pretty darn wonderful.... Japan only. Ideal audiophile product..... Legendary, expensive and unobtainable!

Cyclotronguy

pelly3s
12-02-2005, 05:25 PM
I wouldnt mind having a pair of those they look like a mighty fine driver

Don C
12-02-2005, 06:15 PM
Speaking of unobtainable Sony drivers...

Mr. Widget
12-02-2005, 07:54 PM
Don, you are just putting us on right? Isn't that a photo of the underside of your dishwasher? :applaud:

Widget

Don C
12-02-2005, 08:28 PM
The bottom of my dishwasher is a lot less complex. That's the backside view of a 15 inch flat square woofer. I think that this could be called Sony's version of a 4343. They have been holding down the floor of my garage for the last two years while I tried to figure out how to refoam them. I've just about got the job done. The next problem is that I'm not strong enough to move them up the stairs from the garage into the house.

pelly3s
12-02-2005, 08:32 PM
i am slightly disturbed by the way that speaker looks lol. i am actually interested in how you managed to come up with a way to refoam that thing. Now the question is how do they really sound

Mr. Widget
12-02-2005, 08:45 PM
Ah yes, that short lived flat driver craze...

I am impressed that you own them, I assumed the image was a web snipe. I doubt they'll ever be competition for your XPLs, but still very cool. :bouncy:

Widget

Ken Pachkowsky
12-03-2005, 12:50 AM
I almost bought these last year. My understanding was they did not do well and Sony dropped them after a couple of years.

By the way. The works sold on Ebay for 600.00 bucks including all the cabs.

andywin
12-03-2005, 02:53 PM
The GTS enclosure is I understand still in production but using drivers from ALE and TAD. GTS ( Great Technical Sound) were still advertising the SEM-5S in 99.

duaneage
12-03-2005, 08:14 PM
Japanese firms are always trying to break into markets and most of the time it does not do very well. Sometimes they persist until they are successful, other times they don't. Most of the time we wish they never even tried.

dancing-dave
12-03-2005, 10:53 PM
They could be some real sleepers, but I think it's tough since they can only really be put to proper use in a complete system. Sony has had studios in Culver City for some time and I think that it would be fair to give them some confidence if they were used in some of their studio set-ups. Better research should be done by asking some older audio geeks out in Japan who have been around this equipment before, or someone who's worked at the Culver studios.

Ken Pachkowsky
12-04-2005, 12:29 AM
Sony has had studios in Culver City for some time and I think that it would be fair to give them some confidence if they were used in some of their studio set-ups. Better research should be done by asking some older audio geeks out in Japan who have been around this equipment before, or someone who's worked at the Culver studios.

As I recall these were removed from Sony's studio in Culver City. The guy that put them on Ebay had a wack of Sony Multitrack tape machines as well. I have always been a little dissapointed I did not grab them. At 600.00 it would have been an inexpensive experiment.

Ken

caladois
12-11-2005, 08:10 AM
I just buy a pair of SONY SUP-T11 horn drivers. They should arrived before christmas. So I would tell you more as soon as possible.

Regards Stephane

caladois
02-27-2006, 11:05 AM
first pictures before mounting these on horns

Alex Lancaster
02-27-2006, 08:15 PM
:) Don:
After You get done repairing them, You need 2 or 3 burley friends and a 6 pack each of their brew for them, seems to work.

caladois
02-28-2006, 04:12 AM
they really work

caladois
03-01-2006, 08:10 AM
here mounted on on 2382 horn

03-01-2006, 12:05 PM
... That's the backside view of a 15 inch flat square woofer....

I have one of those woofers, it's from an APM-8. 4-way, I think I used the tweeter and hi-mid as a center for my all APM 5.1 system upstairs. The 15 was coming unglued from the spiders, on all 4 voice-coils! Talk about fun to get glue in there! After re-doing it the rattles are gone, and the fs was 21Hz...:bouncy: I put it in a sealed test box, and it's still in it, sounded just great down to below 20Hz...:D Luckily this one has a rubber surround, so no re-foam for me...

Mike Scott in SJ, CA

03-02-2006, 10:07 PM
Don, you are just putting us on right? Isn't that a photo of the underside of your dishwasher? :applaud:

Widget

5 spiders, 4 voicecoils, 4 Alnico magnets, 1 big-ass chunk of honeycomb aluminum sandwich!:blink:

Too bad about the first one though, I tried to get the diaphragm seperated from the voicecoils, but the solvent seeped into the honeycomb sandwich and it sort of de-laminated!:barf:Was seriosly cool to see the coupling between the vocecoils, the slightest movement of any one would result in immediate movement (opposite of course) of the other three... A little like Whack-A-Mole!;) I could have sent both of them back to Sony in Atsugi to get them re, uhh, coned? We ended up tossing them in the dumpster, anybody ever hear them next to 4-way JBL's?

Don C
03-03-2006, 08:59 AM
I have not heard these yet at all, and I've had no time to fool with them lately. Tell me more about Atsugi, do you have any contact information for anyone at Sony who might be able to get parts or arrange service for these? I've made Chamois surrounds for the woofers, but I'd rather use the original foam if I could find any. These woofers are in excellent condition except for the foam.

sa660
03-05-2006, 03:26 PM
More technical details:

5 slots phase plug
Aluminium diaphragm soldered to titanium suspension.

No info on the shape of the suspension

03-05-2006, 09:22 PM
I have not heard these yet at all, and I've had no time to fool with them lately. Tell me more about Atsugi, do you have any contact information for anyone at Sony who might be able to get parts or arrange service for these?

Sorry, it's been ten years since I worked at Sony Pro Audio... Try 408 432 1600 and ask for someone in Pro Audio. The number still works, not sure who works there now. Just explain what you have and ask if it's possible to get any parts out of Atsugi...

caladois
03-08-2006, 04:03 AM
I found this picture on the net of a SONY studio monitor. Model SME-1w