PDA

View Full Version : 902-8T drivers

steamer
11-29-2005, 06:28 PM
Hello,
I am new to this forum and I have enjoyed reading various posts.I have a 511B/902-8T combo I will soon be putting in a Klipch La Scala.I want to biamp this system with SS amp for the lows and run a tube amp on the horn in a 2 way configuration.My question concerns the 902T.Bill of Greatplains says this driver is the same as the A in that it doesn't have the shorting ring like the B version to help restrict diaphram movement if so it will have a warmer sound as in the A version.I visit the Klipch forum alot and a few people there believe it does have this ring.I guess I could take apart the drivers and see but I'm not sure what to look for.Does anyone know the answer?Also I will be using an Rane 2 way active x-over but I am unsure of the right x-over point,I think 600 hz to give myself some insurance as the 902 goes to 500hz combined with a 24db/oct slope.Any recommendations on my approach to this would be apprieciated.

Thankyou,
Greg

boristhespider
11-29-2005, 09:46 PM
Steamer,

When you say "shorting ring" I'm guessing you are talking about the loading cap. If you take the back cover off and see the aluminum diaphram, then the loading cap is not present. If you take the cover off and see only a black piece of plastic, then you have a loading cap on to the diaphram. When the loading cap is not present there should be a piece of felt attached to the inside of the back cover for these drivers to provide a bit of dampening. If you have a loading cap and want to remove it, which is a common hi-fi mod for these drivers, you will need the shorter screws. Bill at GPA can get these to you. Hope that helps a little........

Ken

steamer
11-30-2005, 05:19 PM
Ken,
Thankyou for the info,thats what I needed to know.

Greg

boristhespider
11-30-2005, 11:57 PM
Greg,

Glad that helped. You might find these threads from the Altec users board interesting:

http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3729&t=1833

http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3729&t=1772

500hz should be fine as a crossover point using the 511 horn. That's what it was designed for! You may also want to look into dampening the outside of the 511 horn. They tend to ring!

Ken

steamer
12-01-2005, 04:22 PM
Once again thankyou Ken,

I think I will try 500hz,with the Rane I can go down to 350 or so and think that would be great at lower volumes,like the idea of most of the signal going to one driver.I will soon have a pair of Decware Select monoblocks to power this combo about 5 watts a side probably cant damage with that.The bass is covered with a Bryston 3BPRO(130 a side)and 2 BagEnd S18E passive subs powered by a Bryston 4BPRO(250 a side)using the BagEnd ELF-M integrator/x-over.LOL I wonder if the Decware units can keep up.Does anyone know what the db/per watt spec. is for the 511/902 combo?I have level controls on the Rane for the Low and High pass also on the ELF-M unit for the subs.My question would be can I match the 5 watt Decware with all the sub power.

Thanks again Ken,Greg

spkrman57
12-01-2005, 05:57 PM
If so, 5.7w max in pentode mode and approx 1.8w in triode mode.

Not sure if we are talking about the same unit. If it is, it likes closer to 4 ohm drivers than the 8 ohm.

:dont-know

Ron

steamer
12-01-2005, 06:56 PM
Ron,

I have read that they will drive a 2 ohm load and like it,the person who is selling these Decware monos drives a pair of Klipch Khorns with them.Are you saying they wont like an 8 ohm load and that will adversly effect the sound?I believe they are 5 watts in a monoblock setup/triode mode.

Greg

spkrman57
12-02-2005, 06:49 AM
I found the performance with higher impedance speakers(I tried 16 Ohm) is nothing to get excited about. As I approached speakers with lower impedance, the ones that usually dogged my other flea powered amps the Decware only got better.

I only borrowed mine from a friend to see what I thought about it. I would not get one for myself as I have many 16 ohms systems and a few 8 ohm systems, I don't mess with 4 ohm drivers much as most of my tube gear is designed for higher impedance speakers.

Therefore my other flea powered amps like them very much.

Ron