PDA

View Full Version : 4699b Cabaret Series

warpig
09-19-2003, 07:41 PM
Anyone have any experiece with 4699b Cabaret Series?

Thanks

warpig
09-20-2003, 05:57 PM
I do not mean to bump this thread but I am looking to purchase a set of these. Around 1000 dollars. Was wondering if anyone has listened to these and what there opinion of them was. Is that too much for these or would you recommend another type in the 1000 dollar range.

They will be used in a home enviorment.

Thanks for any input.

JBL Dog
09-20-2003, 11:30 PM
warpig:

The 4699B may be one of JBL's better 3-way systems for professional sound reinforcement use. I wouldn't recommend it for hi-fi/home use. At 103 db SPL (1 watt/1 meter), you won't have to turn on your cook-top burner to fry bacon in the morning. These things will rip your head off!

If they're in good shape, $1,000 is fair. But offer $800. They aren't practical for road use anymore. They weigh a TON!

:yes:

In the $1000 range? L220's are nice, though several members of this forum poo-poo them. L150's can be picked up for less than $1000. And, IMHO, arguably the most underated speaker JBL has ever produced... L100T. You can pick them up in the $300 - $500 range. I've always loved that 2214H 12" woofer. Hey, wait a minute, I have an idea!

:hmm:

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2559435295&category=47093

These would be nice in the home! 4430's if you want a little more punch.

The 4699B is an outstanding speaker for its intended use. I think you would come to have a passionate dislike for them in your home. JMHO.

Good Luck!

This message comes from JBL Dog :band:

warpig
09-21-2003, 12:25 AM
JBL Dog
Again Thanks for another reply. If I am not mistaken those are 4425s you have linked. If they were 4430s I would be giving them a good look.

I currently have some L166s, L100s and L36s. The reason I was looking at the 4699 was for more punch. Maybe I will hold off and keep an eye out for some alternatives.

I do not know if this helps but the room that will house the speakers is 20 feet long by 12 feet wide. The ceiling goes on a slope from about 16 feet to 8 feet and decreasses with the width of the room.

Again as always Thanks

Alex Lancaster
09-21-2003, 06:11 AM
You can get brand new S312's and an S120P sub on cheapbay, for less than $1000, for a room that size, that should be enough; I have heard the combo and it is good, and brand new.

If You like negotiating, contact "Audiovideoman", He´s on eBay, get him to cut You a deal, specially with the shipping.

Alex.

GordonW
09-21-2003, 09:56 AM
Gotta join JBLDog in giving props to the L100T. That thing has serious b@lls, for a 12" woofer. Proof positive, that if you give a good beefy 12" enough cabinet space, good things can happen. Much more substantial bottom end than any of the "monitor" style 12" speakers (L100, L166, L112, etc)... and the balance is good too.

Though, really, if it were money to blow, I'd be checking out L150s. I've always had fond memories of the combination of balance and power those things had. However, when you can buy TWO pairs of L100Ts for the price of ONE pair of L150s... well... the L100T really is a better value, in most any practical sense.

BTW: There's one fellow around here, with a home theatre system with 4 L100Ts in the corners, a home-made MTM center channel, made out of the woofers from a pair of L20Ts and a single L20T tweeter, home-made shielded (with bonded-on bucking magnets), a pair of B380s and a BX63A. Talk about sheer rumble!!! :D :D :D

Regards,
Gordon.

mikebake
09-21-2003, 11:36 AM
I disagree with the dog; a speaker with an 18, a 10, and a one inch comp. driver is fairly common stuff for guys on this forum. What's the big deal about "home use"? I have an idea they might sound pretty durn good.

4313B
09-21-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by warpig
The reason I was looking at the 4699 was for more punch.
Oh... well the 4699B should give you a couple black eyes then :p

warpig
09-21-2003, 05:44 PM
All Thanks for the info.

Mikebake Those were my exact thoughts. Maybe I did not make myself clear though.

Currently I have an Onkyo TX-SR800 7.1 reciever for home theater. Center and front L/R are L100s. The 2 surrounds and 2 rears are L36s. It sounds good for home theater.

I do not listen to music that often but when I do I usually crank it up. For stero I have 2 Yamaha M80s. Those were hooked up to a pair of L166s and a pair of the L36s. The combo sound good to me but if I listen to it for extended periods I end up smoking the L36s which are getting expensive to repair.

That is why I was looking for something with more beef. I had or have a chance at some 4699s. I figure the 4335s and up are rare along with the L200 and 300. I have not paid that much attention to the 150 though.

My question should of been along the lines of how would the 4699 compare to the above.

I see alot of individuals in this forum that have large setups.

I will not say that money is no object. But I would like to take a larger step up from what I currently have. Black Eyes are not a problem:D If I want to burn the paint off of the walls so be it. It is just I do not want to burn the speakers at the same time.

I really like these forums and eventually would like to take on some projects. In one of my previous threads I posted about a 125a recone that did not work out. Now this may seem stupid to some but I have not totaly given up on that speaker. I figure it is allready ruined so what is the worst that could happen. I will after a little more reasearch try to take it apart and see if it is salageable.

Thanks All

Back to work got a boat to unload in the Gulf of Mexcio URSA TLP:D

mikebake
09-22-2003, 08:09 AM
Well, again, with respect to jbldogs comments, 103db sens. is a GOOD thing; as for SPL, hey, if it's too loud, just turn it down; which brings me back to one of my central themes...
I'd rather hear a BIG speaker loafing than a small one working.

MBB

GordonW
09-22-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by mikebake
Well, again, with respect to jbldogs comments, 103db sens. is a GOOD thing; as for SPL, hey, if it's too loud, just turn it down; which brings me back to one of my central themes...
I'd rather hear a BIG speaker loafing than a small one working.

MBB

You make a good point. A VERY good point. :)

Regards,
Gordon.
as Smokey Yunick put it: "Ain't no replacement, for cubic displacement!"...:thmbsup:

Alex Lancaster
09-22-2003, 09:04 AM
I think it actually went "...cubic inches" and "when in doubt, bore it out", I never met him but some called Him "smoked", when He got a little too far out.

While We are at it:

Small blocks also rock.

Hot VW´s too.

Alex.

speakerdave
09-22-2003, 03:53 PM
Speakers/ engines: the only thing better than cubic inches is rectangular dollars.

But . . . wouldn't you say that a speaker has an optimum loudness range and one designed to go really loud is probably not going to be at its best at the low end of its range?

Another things is, those particular drivers are going to have coloration which is OK for a few hours at a show or dance but day after day for hifi will quickly grow old.

David

4313B
09-22-2003, 04:04 PM
"But . . . wouldn't you say that a speaker has an optimum loudness range and one designed to go really loud is probably not going to be at its best at the low end of its range?"

Yes.

"Another things is, those particular drivers are going to have coloration which is OK for a few hours at a show or dance but day after day for hifi while quickly grow old."

It can even be too much through a whole DVD movie. I personally prefer systems matched to their rooms.

mikebake
09-22-2003, 04:49 PM
Howdy speakerdave.....

Yer on a slippery slope here............

"But . . . wouldn't you say that a speaker has an optimum loudness range and one designed to go really loud is probably not going to be at its best at the low end of its range?"

Giskard says simply yes; I say maybe. Does a speaker have an optimum loudness range? The "optimum loudness range" is kind of a bogus concept, in my mind. A system which has been designed correctly and uses good drivers will have a very wide "optimum range". To think that a driver which CAN go loud is NOT going to do SOFT well is not particularly accurate, in my mind.

"Another things is, those particular drivers are going to have coloration which is OK for a few hours at a show or dance but day after day for hifi while quickly grow old."

Okay, now just what the heck does THAT mean? What are THOSE particular drivers? I mean, of all the manufacturers, JBL has been one of the best that produces drivers that can do BOTH sound reinforcement AND "critical monitoring duty", according to their own data. I mean, we WERE talking about a JBL speaker here, the 4699B. You are just perpetuating a common myth, in my opinion. Talk some specifics and maybe we can get somewhere.

warpig
09-22-2003, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the comments and I mean no disrespect to anyone here. I am a rookie and wish I had the knowledge of all here. That is one reason I come here is to learn from all.

Mikebake again that is what I was thinking (if it's too loud, just turn it down)

Speakerdave said. Another things is, those particular drivers are going to have coloration which is OK for a few hours at a show or dance but day after day for hifi while quickly grow old. But I do not quite understand this could some one explain?

Also would this only be at low volumes. The reason I ask is this system will probably not be used for really low volumes. I am not saying that it will be wide open all of the time. For home theater and low volumes I will use the Onkyo and above speaker setup or the Yamaha M80 has an ABC switch so I could leave the L166 on the B switch and use them for low volumes.

For higher volumes would the 4699bs have good clarity (sound good) I understand there are other factors involved (junk in junk out and such). I did do some research on the drivers on this forum. The E155 (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=453&highlight=e155)

Again Thanks to all for the replies.

4313B
09-22-2003, 05:12 PM
"Giskard says simply yes"

:p So I should have qualified the "yes" instead of being lazy? :rotfl:

I've always liked the Cabaret Series. The 4699B is a very cool system for it's intended application. It just isn't my choice for home hi-fi at all. The E110 and E155 are musical instrument loudspeakers and damn good ones too but they really aren't designed for home hi-fi use. Yeah, like anything else, you can kind of force them into the role. Look at the Everest and what had to be done with that filter to get the desired performance from the E145. The filter in the 4699B certainly isn't a 3145 or 3155 filter. Compared with their home hi-fi counterparts, the E110 and E155 don't exhibit the same flat, "peak-free" response and wide bandwidth that say an LE10 or 2245H do. For home use I'd take a 2245H over an E155 any day. Yeah, you have to drive it harder but it is still more than capable of destroying your hearing. JBL isn't stupid, they make all kinds of transducers and each one was designed to achieve a specific goal. I'm pretty sure I know what the 4699B was intended for and I can't imagine JBL ever thought someone would plop a pair into their living room and call it a day :)

Anyway, whatever. Try them out and see what you think about them :) It could be fun!

4313B
09-22-2003, 05:19 PM
"For higher volumes would the 4699bs have good clarity"

Yeah, they're very clear. Loud and clear.

mikebake
09-22-2003, 05:29 PM
BTW, I couldn't agree MORE with your statement about speakers designed FOR a specific room. Over and over, that truth gets hammered home to me.......
ANYway......

"For home use I'd take a 2245H over an E155 any day. Yeah, you have to drive it harder but it is still more than capable of destroying your hearing."

Yes, I agree. My pair are idling in the workshop right now. Pity. I haven't really been able to fully enjoy them yet.

" JBL isn't stupid, they make all kinds of transducers and each one was designed to achieve a specific goal. I'm pretty sure I know what the 4699B was intended for and I can't imagine JBL ever thought someone would plop a pair into their living room and call it a day"

I'm sure it crossed their mind! It may well be/have been a better solution that some OTHER high eff. products of the day which WERE used in the home....anyway, I understand the whole distinction about the E series and all that, but I have listened to E series 15's in home setups; it was good. And I have listened at my home to a 2425 on a 2370A and found it quite nice. Not loud. Just nice.
My problem is that I not only prefer the sound of big speakers, but there is that damn nuisance of needing a BIG room.
To divert for a moment;
actually, I won't divert, I'll start another thread and see what guys say..................
back to the present; I am a voice in the wilderness on most forums in my fondness for listening to systems of all types and sizes OUTSIDE, where room/boundary problems are nil. Sometimes with a back wall for 1/4 space reinforcement, but no sidewall/ceiling/floor crap going on. LOVE it. Crank it!!!

Robh3606
09-22-2003, 06:03 PM
Hello Giskard

About the Everest Crossover

"Look at the Everest and what had to be done with that filter to get the desired performance from the E145."

I see a Zobel and a 12 DB network and a series network for tailoring the bass that is normally defeated. The 39 ohm resistor?? What is odd about it besides the series filter??? What am I missing??

Thanks Rob :)

speakerdave
09-22-2003, 06:04 PM
Warpig--

I've gone back and reread your posts here, and it sounds to me like you'd really like to try those big old speakers, and so you probably should. If the money is right you can probably recover most of it if you decide to pass them on. It sounds to me as if you are as much interested in the learning as you are in getting the good result.

Mikebake--

What's wrong with slippery slopes, anyway? I've been on some I wouldn't mind revisiting!

But you're right: It's a statement I could punch a few holes in myself. Sometimes the big speakers do sound better low than small ones, but I believe these would be hifi speakers. But still--I think the truth in my statement is that, like my old 604 8Gs, a large speaker can sound fine low, but come into its glory only when it's doing what it was really designed to do.

David

4313B
09-22-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Robh3606
Hello Giskard

About the Everest Crossover

I see a Zobel and a 12 DB network and a series network for tailoring the bass that is normally defeated. The 39 ohm resistor?? What is odd about it besides the series filter??? What am I missing??

Thanks Rob :)
The Everest actually has a 2nd order filter on the E145 along with conjugate elements and a switchable notch filter.
The E155 in the 4699B is allowed to run full out if I'm not mistaken.

I'm with speakerdave and mikebake.
Buy 'em and try 'em.
eBay 'em if you don't like 'em :)
Otherwise you'll always wonder ;)

Robh3606
09-22-2003, 06:42 PM
"Good grief. That's the point. The Everest actually has a 2nd order filter on the E145 along with conjugate elements and a switchable notch filter. What does the 4699B use?"

NOTHING!!!:eek:

Got the point all depend's on intended use and application.

Thanks Rob:)

JBL Dog
09-22-2003, 07:07 PM
warpig:

If you enjoy your music loud, by all means get the 4699B's. You won't be disappointed in how "loud" they can get! :D

warpig
09-22-2003, 07:42 PM
Thanks All
I think I will give them a try if they are still available, which I am pretty sure they are. It will require a 1000 mile round trip though. I would rather pick them up then freight them. It might be up to 2 weeks before I get them.

If they do not work out I will try to ebay them. If I can not get a fair price for them they will go to my favorite watering hole:D That way far more people will enjoy that JBL sound.

Peace to all and Thanks

JBL Dog
09-22-2003, 10:25 PM
warpig:

If you to that much of an effort to get the 4699B's, you might as well keep them. You will be the "go-to" guy for sound at your next block party!

BTW, the 4699B does not rate very high on the WAF chart, if at all!

:duck:

warpig
09-22-2003, 11:33 PM
JBL Dog
What is WAF.

speakerdave
09-23-2003, 12:33 AM
I'll answer for the J'Dog, since he doesn't seem to be attending right now. You know what it is--you just haven't heard it called this yet. It's Wife Acceptance Factor. Small veneered enclosures with doilies on them have high WAF. Huge unpainted plywood boxes with knife strokes plain in the putty at the corners have low WAF.

David

warpig
09-23-2003, 01:15 AM
Ok

Well I currently do not have an issue with the WAF because the W is missing. All though if it were up to some of my friends I would.;)

Maybe some day:D

speakerdave
09-23-2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by warpig
Ok

Well I currently do not have an issue with the WAF because the W is missing. All though if it were up to some of my friends I would.;)

Maybe some day:D

oh . . . . . Say, Warpig--Can we bring our stuff over to your house?

warpig
09-23-2003, 02:39 AM
Sure all are welcome.

That would make it much easier on me. I could here all of youre equipment and decide which fits my wants, instead like some having to get and get rid of equipment until the want is satisfied.

:thmbsup:

mikebake
09-23-2003, 07:30 AM
I dunno, maybe I'm nuts, warpig, but aside from the issue of the speakers themselves, $1000 seems like ALOT for them. I've bought alot of gear like that and haven't paid that kind of money. Also, you could build some stuff for the kind of dough that would ROCK, and use newer drivers. I will bactrack just a bit and agree with others that the drivers in the 4699 are not EXACTLY optimal for home application......................

Any negotiating the price down some??

They WOULD be fun to own, though!!!

MBB

JBL Dog
09-23-2003, 08:24 AM
warpig:

As I stated in my first response, offer $800. A friend bought a set of 4698B's (same components as 4699B except a 2404H instead of 2370/2426J horn-driver combo) for $900 in the late 80's. They're worth a lot less now than back then. Or, negotiate the deal with the guy's wifey. You might get 'em for nothing

:D

4313B
09-23-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by mikebake
They WOULD be fun to own, though!!!
That is a fact! I'd have them on my patio so I could hear music over the roar of the lawnmower :)

Originally posted by JBL Dog
negotiate the deal with the guy's wifey. You might get 'em for nothing
Now there's a thought! :p

mikebake
09-23-2003, 08:55 AM
Given the other options that are out there today, I'd have a hard time paying much over $500, let alone a 1000 mile round trip. Just because the drivers might fetch x amount on ebay doesn't mean the system is worth the component prices added together.

warpig
09-24-2003, 06:48 AM
He did go down on the price some.

Hey I need a road trip anyway. Figure go up and go out on the town that night. Wake up take what ever headache medicne to get rid of the hang over:D . Pick speekers up and head back to the house.

On another note. I am not quite sure how to hook these up. I did do a little research at 4699b (http://jblproservice.com/pdf/Cabaret%20Series/4699B.pdf) If it takes a 1/4" jack on one side and my amp speaker terminals look like Yamaha M-80 (http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/av/english/SepA/M-80.pdf) Could someone suggest what might be the best way to hook them up. I have ideas but never have done it before and do not want to damage any equipment in the process.

Also looking at the 4699b diagram do these speakers need to be bi-amped?

Thanks for the info.:D

Alex Lancaster
09-24-2003, 07:23 AM
Hi:

I hate 1/4" phone jacks, they are convenient, but were designed for very low current; if originality is an issue, dismount temporarily the jacks and run some wires thru the hole with a dab of silicone, otherwise mount some real binding posts.

Alex.

4313B
09-24-2003, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Alex Lancaster
I hate 1/4" phone jacks
Ditto

:die: 1/4" phone jacks

Alex Lancaster
09-24-2003, 08:05 AM
Giskard:

What a nitpicker I am; Tele-PHONE jacks, that was their original purpose, PHONO are RCA type, but anyway both are for low current signal, but have been abused for everything.

Alex.

jblsnbits
10-11-2010, 12:26 PM
this is one of the best boxes jbl ever made....and i have all of them,,,including all the hifi monitor series that are only 98db 1w 1m....the members who quote the efficiency of this devices is noteworthy....105 db 1w 1m... yep common sence prevails... turn it down and save ELECTRICITY... LOL
PEACE JBLSNBITS

Thanks All
I think I will give them a try if they are still available, which I am pretty sure they are. It will require a 1000 mile round trip though. I would rather pick them up then freight them. It might be up to 2 weeks before I get them.

If they do not work out I will try to ebay them. If I can not get a fair price for them they will go to my favorite watering hole:D That way far more people will enjoy that JBL sound.

Peace to all and Thanks

jblsnbits
10-11-2010, 12:36 PM
WHAT ARE THESE WORTH? I guess the best rule is what are they worth to you?? in my opinion is way better value for the money than new....if they are mint...1000 is not out of line...for example .. a 1969 hemi CUDA is worth a lot more now than then....why...more than one person thinks so....if u can buy them for less get busy but the vendor sellin these cheap is sellin blown up or worn out and beat ur devices...beware... any one who knows what these are will be lookn for real money.
i dont have a cost for these new ...but i know that my 4612s i paid over 600 usd ea.
and that is the smallest in the line...2- 8s and a baby but horn....ill research the actual list on this.
thanks
jblsnbits

this is one of the best boxes jbl ever made....and i have all of them,,,including all the hifi monitor series that are only 98db 1w 1m....the members who quote the efficiency of this devices is noteworthy....105 db 1w 1m... yep common sence prevails... turn it down and save ELECTRICITY... LOL
PEACE JBLSNBITS

JeffW
10-11-2010, 01:05 PM
WHAT ARE THESE WORTH? I guess the best rule is what are they worth to you?? in my opinion is way better value for the money than new....if they are mint...1000 is not out of line...for example .. a 1969 hemi CUDA is worth a lot more now than then....why...more than one person thinks so....if u can buy them for less get busy but the vendor sellin these cheap is sellin blown up or worn out and beat ur devices...beware... any one who knows what these are will be lookn for real money.
i dont have a cost for these new ...but i know that my 4612s i paid over 600 usd ea.
and that is the smallest in the line...2- 8s and a baby but horn....ill research the actual list on this.
thanks
jblsnbits

It's been a bit over 7 years, I bet he's got it sorted out by now :D

And I bought an absolute mint pair of 4612s off a member here for $225/pr. I really like them, but not enough to add $1K to the price.

Don Mascali
10-12-2010, 09:49 AM
I have a pair of Cabaret 4695 (bass only) cabinets and have been using 2241H drivers for a portable DJ rig. The things will knock you down when driven with a Yamaha P7000 (700 WPC).
They are tuned to 34 HZ.

martin_wu99
10-15-2010, 09:05 AM

Thanks
I prefer 4698B than 4699B.but there's a lot to do if you want use it in your home.

martin_wu99
10-15-2010, 09:06 AM
I prefer 4698B than 4699B.but there's a lot to do if you want use it in your home.
can not upload pic:banghead:

jblsnbits
10-15-2010, 01:50 PM
so funny u make me laugh ...did not knowtice the date of the posting....lol

the 4612s are awsome device n great price too... let me know if they are for sale ok.
I have one pair n like them for side fill....very efficent and sound great.

enjoy.
jblsnbits

It's been a bit over 7 years, I bet he's got it sorted out by now :D

And I bought an absolute mint pair of 4612s off a member here for $225/pr. I really like them, but not enough to add $1K to the price.

martin_wu99
10-16-2010, 09:51 AM
so funny u make me laugh ...did not knowtice the date of the posting....lol

the 4612s are awsome device n great price too... let me know if they are for sale ok.
I have one pair n like them for side fill....very efficent and sound great.

enjoy.
jblsnbits
4612B is overvalued in CHINA,say 8000RMB a pair.:eek:

martin_wu99
10-16-2010, 10:21 AM
anyone who can tell me how to upload PICs?:banghead:

thank you

martin wu

original jblguy
10-23-2010, 05:45 PM
I just sold a pair for $600. very harsh and hard to listen to. rather have speakers that i enoy listening to instead of loud, harsh speakers. 250ti's are pretty good. i think i like my sr4732's with (2) 2245h subs. my best all around system in my living room yet.

martin_wu99
10-25-2010, 03:04 AM
I just sold a pair for $600. very harsh and hard to listen to. rather have speakers that i enoy listening to instead of loud, harsh speakers. 250ti's are pretty good. i think i like my sr4732's with (2) 2245h subs. my best all around system in my living room yet.
4699B maybe harsh,but 4698B doesn't.2404H is a good thing:D

lgvenable
10-25-2010, 03:56 AM
anyone who can tell me how to upload PICs?:banghead:

thank you

martin wu

dude,:blink:
just look above your post to "attachments", once you upload it, the forum will allow you to store it indefinately, and the post it to the first post as well as other posts as you need to.

Got it??

martin_wu99
10-28-2010, 08:53 AM
dude,:blink:
just look above your post to "attachments", once you upload it, the forum will allow you to store it indefinately, and the post it to the first post as well as other posts as you need to.

Got it??
Thanks a lot! here comes pics at last!!!:bouncy::applaud:

RIGGED
12-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Thanks a lot! here comes pics at last!!!:bouncy::applaud:

Frankenspeaks!
What are you pushing them with?

RIGGED

original jblguy
12-29-2010, 02:41 PM
4699B maybe harsh,but 4698B doesn't.2404H is a good thing:D

I thought this was a 4699b thread?

martin_wu99
12-30-2010, 12:10 AM
Frankenspeaks!
What are you pushing them with?

RIGGED

I have some big pro machines,such as 2*SAE P500(500W),BGW8500T(300W),soundcrafsman(350W),ecle r1360(275W),citron PPX900(250W),I like them:D

martin_wu99
12-30-2010, 01:13 AM
I thought this was a 4699b thread?
whether 4699b or 4698b,they are both rock!but I like cheeksbut:applaud:

Paul D
12-30-2010, 11:46 AM
I heard a single 4698b being used as a keyboard monitor several years ago. They were running a music cd through it and I was supprised at the output from a single cabinet. I was also supprised how non-fatiguing and smooth it sounded for a pa speaker!

martin_wu99
12-31-2010, 02:36 AM
I heard a single 4698b being used as a keyboard monitor several years ago. They were running a music cd through it and I was supprised at the output from a single cabinet. I was also supprised how non-fatiguing and smooth it sounded for a pa speaker!
You can call it a pa box,but it is more than a pa box.
with E155\E110\2404 work together, you can imagine how it will sound!:eek:
it will KO 4425\4430\4435 at one second.
i have 4628\4698,i love them:banghead:

Paul D
12-31-2010, 12:46 PM
You can call it a pa box,but it is more than a pa box.

I only called it that because they really aren't designed for home use. But as I and many others have found, pa or pro-sound (or whatever you want to call it) works great for home use! I would buy pa speakers over home speakers because you get more bang for the buck. In my opinion, the 4698 and 4699 are hard to beat 3 ways. You don't see many 3 ways using 18's with the range these are capable of!:bouncy:

JBLBob
02-09-2013, 10:54 AM

Thanks Great speaker in the day...and even today. Heavier than hell...close to 200# each. If you're going to haul them, have a strong dolly and even stronger back. If you're going to use them at hom...reinforce the floors

. To me they sound best when the horn is backed off a little from "normal" or the can get a little bright to the point that you can get ear fatigue.

Val
05-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Heavier than hell...close to 200# each.

For about 20 years our church used these 4699b's in Sunday service. We don't have a permanent facility so we have to setup each Sunday. A very clever craftsman in our church built these speaker carts some time in the '90's complete with a winch to hoist the speakers. We are decommissioning this this rig and so I thought I would grab some pictures of this unique cart to share here.

"Do Not Slacken Cable". Well someone did, the cable jumped an internal pulley, the cable broke and the speaker dropped! Thankfully no one was hurt.

Good times.

dezmond
02-01-2015, 10:45 AM
I just got a pair of the 4699b's . They sound very nice to me, using a pc as source with dsp . The 4612 is not made to run without a sub, so only a idiot would say loud and harsh for full range use.