PDA

View Full Version : Tymphany Linear Array Transducer (LAT) Technology

pelly3s
11-26-2005, 02:42 PM
Just putting this out to get peoples opinions on it. I heard it at AES and I was amazed with it.

http://www.tymphany.com/products_Tymphany_LAT.html

speakerdave
11-26-2005, 06:30 PM
Reminds me of a gizmo Dr. Heil showed in San Francisco back in the 70's, a stack of small woofers (not that small) joined by carbon fiber rods. Interesting, and seemed like pretty clean bass, only you needed lots of current for all those voice coils and the thing required a special amp. I never heard of it again. Not long after that the company he worked for, ESS, (I heard later) took its profits from its successful speakers--they were the hot item for awhile--had a pair of the big ones in Tower Records on Columbus until they figured out they were driving the customers away--and invested them in some wacky security--oil futures or something--and lost it all. It's risky out there on the margins. Sad story, nice white haired scientist type, Dr. Heil, liked his tweeters for awhile. Had a pair on a shelf in the garage (two garages) for twenty years. Sold them a couple of months ago. Don't miss 'em.

David

Cyclotronguy
11-30-2005, 12:06 PM
The oil company was Kinetec, whom I did some prototype work for. We were making shaped explosive charges to shatter oil shale, so the oil could be extracted via superheat steam. The good Dr. did not understand the oil industry. His failing was in being an outsider. We did however have some fun!

Cyclotronguy