PDA

View Full Version : LE10 Refoam: Front or Back of Cone?

biddy67
11-25-2005, 06:23 PM
Has anyone successfully refoamed these onto the backside of the cone? I have usually gone ahead and refoamed rear mounted at the cone onto the front, never have bothered to try a rear mount, looks to be more error prone. I would like to hear from others who have actually done the job. Thanks.

paragon
11-26-2005, 11:03 AM
Refoamed on the back side, of course.:D
Hard to pull away the old surround from the cone.

boputnam
11-26-2005, 08:21 PM
Yea, please re-do them as you find them. If you can't get it done, send it out to a place that can. It's tedious, but get that little glue-tip into that space, spread it slowly and uniformly on the frame, and the live with it while it dries. This is the quality time our wifeys are asking for!! :rotfl:

Only the LE14 has iterations with front-mounted surrounds (far as I can recollect...). And on them, as above, "re-do them as you find them".

Flodstroem
11-26-2005, 08:25 PM
Hi biddy67

Search this forum and you will find a lot of relevant inform.
You could start with this one:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3593&highlight=Refoam+LE10

Regards :)

biddy67
11-29-2005, 07:49 AM
I have a pair of new advent woofers (rear-glued also) to do ahead of these for practice. Mine are the LE10H from the 4313B. Thanks Bo for posting pictures, the bending of the cone approach I had not thought of, that makes me feel alot better about backside glueing. Unfortunately, this approach would not work well on some woofers (ie HPMs) that have brittle cones. My greatest fear was smudging glue, a pet peeve of mine, and I think this approach will go far to ensuring that does not happen. I do have the rick cobb kit and I tried the 30 Hz way to align the coil in a recent refoam (HPMs, in fact), but I did not feel comfortable with the foam moving while guing, perhaps I had the volume to high? Instead, I use the clamp method whereas several clamps are placed around the perimeter and surround adjusted until there is no rubbing, then lifting them up one by one and gluing underneath. This has worked flawlessly for me on at least 8 woofers so far.

As far as the glue used, I believe the rick cobb glue is wood glue. If you go to Elmer's site and look at the MSDS sheet for it, the glue is identified as a polyvinyl acetate copolymer. All the warnings and such in the kit are to make you believe it is something "special." I like using the Aileen's Tacky Glue due to its tackiness, but will probably "stick" with the cobb glue for this job. The fact that it is a bit more runny helps with the lumps.

Will post pictures when I do them (if they come out right).

Thanks guys.