PDA

View Full Version : phase problem with n333

Jakob
11-25-2005, 05:51 PM
Hi all!
I begun searching the forum for an answer, but came up empty. Here's the story:
I built a pair of n333 networks and are using them together with E145-8's, 2441's (with 2445 dia's) and 2405's.
This is the way I connected the drivers to the network:
Bass: positive lead from network to black terminal on E145
Mid: positive lead from network to red terminal om 2441 (2445)
UHF: positive lead from network to black terminal on 2405.

Since it is 12dB filters I thought this was the correct way, to have the mid out of phase with the other two drivers, but maybe I should do it the other way around?

Grateful for any help, and a nice weekend to You all!

B.R's: Jakob

Zilch
11-25-2005, 08:15 PM
You've got your woofer inverted. All of the schematics I'm lookin' at have only the UHF running in inverse phase.

Follow the input black wire (-) to trace the phase relationships....

Jakob
11-26-2005, 04:18 AM
Today I've done some more testing, but I'm just getting more confused. It seems like I mixed up the wires in one of the speakers.

I've checked both woofers and they are in phase. But according to my test record the speakers still are out of phase. I inverted the cables on one of the speaker terminals so that the positive lead from the amp went to the negative on the network, and voila, problem solved, but I must be slow somewhere in the brain region, 'cause I just don't get it...
Someone who does?

Zilch
11-26-2005, 10:46 AM
If you are running in comparison to speakers from any other manufacturer, like in a HT setup, remember that most JBL drivers and systems are negative polarity, whereas most of the industry is AES positive.

If you're just talking about two JBL systems working together, you've got one of them wired wrong somewhere. Trace them from the source. Follow the negative side for the most straightforward path.

If you're using balanced pro gear to drive them, remember that XLR pin conventions can invert phase polarity with different manufacturers, as well.

If my earlier answer regarding driver connections to the crossover doesn't make sense to you, link us to the schematic of what you actually built for a more detailed response....

Jakob
11-27-2005, 01:18 PM
Thank You Zilch for your comprehensive answers!

It turned out to be an easily solved problem. Someone :o: took the positive wire from the network and soldered it to the negative pin on the speaker terminal, Don't You just hate when that happens? And I checked and double-checked everything before putting it all together.

I have them wired know as you proposed with only the uhf wired out of phase with the others, and it sounds very good. Thank You!

B.R's: Jakob

Zilch
11-27-2005, 01:55 PM
:thmbsup: