PDA

View Full Version : 085 kit-based system

vgdb
11-24-2005, 03:15 AM
Hi everyone, (Please excuse my poor english, I'm french).

I am very new to the world of High-End Hifi : I became by heritage a happy owner of a 085-based system. This system was bought to the Westrex Company by my uncle in 1961. It has not been working during 15 years and I am trying to give it a second life.

The first approach was something like magical : I brought everything to my home, connected the speakers, amplifiers etc... and everything worked instantly! Even with very approximative corrections applied on the relative levels of the different speakers, the sound surpassed my old AR-30. This is, I think, especially due to the 375 horns which give space and "touchable" volume to the sound. Also the 150-4C, mounted in Onken-like speakers, give very deep but precise basses.

For the second approach, fine tuning, I was helped by an experimented audiophile who measured and tuned my installation. The result outpasses now anything I heard before. Everything seemed to be in very good state and the resulting measured curve, corrected (very few corrections) with an Altec Acousta-Voicette, spreads very regularly from 30Hz to 20kHz!

I am now wondering what should I do to have this system resist to the damages of time, especially :

- The 150-4C have a sort of "vernish" on the exterior edge of the cone (the "accordeon part") . One of the speakers seems to have "lost" a part of this "vernish" (gone with dust, it seems). The person who came to adjust my system told me I should add a latex-based "dope" (??? maybe it's a french word!) which will allow this part of the speaker to keep its flexibility from now on. I feel confident with this person, but as a total ignorant in the speaker world, I wanted to collect other advices about this proposal before applying any treatments on what seems to be a very rare component...

- The second speaker is emitting a treble buzz when playing very low notes (under 55 Hz). It seems to come from inside the motor of the speaker and I am wondering if it is alarming and what could I do (I already spoke about this particular point in a former request on the forum) ?

- At last, could anybody tell me if there could be objective reasons in terms of sound for trying to build another enclosure, such as the Hartsfield instead of my original but efficient Onken-like box ?

Thanks for helping me if you can, I would really appreciate having all the system back in an as perfect as possible state, for my ears and for the memory of my audiophile uncle.

With my best regards.

yggdrasil
11-24-2005, 06:17 AM
Welcom aboard.

Some pictures would be very nice.

Regarding your treble buzz on low notes: Probably misaligned. First attempt might be to turn the woofer 180 degrees.

The "vernish" is probably the surround. Would have to see the damage... Might be best to change the whole surround on both woofers.

vgdb
11-24-2005, 04:41 PM
Hi Johnny,

Thanks for taking care of my questions. It took me some time to understand what it's all about, but I managed taking photos and reducing their size so it fits the required formats.

- First, to give an answer to your question concerning the bzzit, it was always there even when I moved the speaker horizontally out of the box...
- You will see hereafter the difference between the speaker which looks OK (but buzzes), 1st photo and the one which looks "dusty" (2nd photo) : there is no more "black paint" on the edhe of the paper and if you take a look at the next photograph (same speaker more detailed), you see it is all gone or mixed with dust...

yggdrasil
11-25-2005, 01:15 AM
Did you try to turn the buzzing woofer upside down? Even though the cone is light it will be dragged down after 40+ years.

The 150-4c's are very valued collectible items, so I would think twice before doing any repair on them myself. There should be authorized JBL service centers in France you could contact for any repair.

That small tear in the surround might be repairable by glueing a very small piece of cloth over the hole. Remember that the flexibility of the surround must be intact. The glue must be flexible when dry.