PDA

View Full Version : New job

paragon
11-23-2005, 11:30 AM
Have to work arround the clock next time, also on saturday and sunday !!
No more extra money for more hours and work late and at night !
Searching for a new job now. What do you think ?
Problem is, I`m 48 years old !! Nobody whants a "gruftie" :D
Is there something in the USA ?

Lancer
11-23-2005, 12:07 PM
Age descrimination is a real problem here in the States as well.

Uncle Paul
11-23-2005, 12:20 PM
Paragon,
What is your line of work and experience? That could make a big difference. I got my last job two years ago at age 43. It can be done!

edgewound
11-23-2005, 12:31 PM
Paragon...

If you really want to come to the states....and your skills look really impressive...I bet there's a prototype, custom automotive, aerospace or job-shop, that could use your old-world type of precision craftsmanship. This country can't outsource everything. Lot's of businesses big and small would drool at your machining talent. The variables, obviously, would be economic...but this is still the land of opportunity...our growing population is proof. It's worth a look.

paragon
11-23-2005, 12:53 PM
Thank you !! But i think there is no chance for older people to get a job where they can get money enough to live. You loose !! We all loose !!
My generation and all later generations loose ! Not mouch money when we are old ! No vacation, no ...:blink:
So what ist to remember, the 70 `s (Beginning) , the 80 `s and the 90 `s, thats all. Now there is no hope at all.

Eckhard

edgewound
11-23-2005, 01:06 PM
Do a Google Search for "Machinist Jobs"...maybe you'll find a better opportunity somewhere. At this stage in life, we must keep positive thoughts, or it will be over quickly. The world is actually re-discovering the value of experience and wisdom from the elders in the population.

I don't have a salaried job...I have a small business that I run myself for nearly 20 years...times are good....times are not so good....but therein lies the challenge....it's up to me.

Zilch
11-23-2005, 01:08 PM
Eckhard,

I have not had a job since 1972.

Consider your own skills and resources and how you might use them creatively.

Persist until it happens....

paragon
11-23-2005, 01:22 PM
You are working for the Lansingheritage !!:D Or what ?
I am a rock (Simon and Garfunkel) yust playing on radio!:D
Love the music !!:D

Eckhard

Guido
11-23-2005, 01:42 PM
Hey Eckhard!

Cool down. The problem that we have now here in Germny is that the former Generation did work too less. Our american friends would not believe that they had 35h work a week and 36 days vacation a year.
There are still some Volkswagen workers that work 4 days a week only and earn dream income.
Now we went back to 40h per week. Some work 45 and more (like myself). This is the reality. Our state deficit is caused by the former Kohl goverment that wasted money like trash and of course all the people that took it without thinking.

Only my opinion!

edgewound
11-23-2005, 02:07 PM
Wow..think I'll move to Germany. I'm always thinking about work....and sometimes don't take any vacation.

Guido
11-23-2005, 02:29 PM
Wow..think I'll move to Germany. I'm always thinking about work....and sometimes don't take any vacation.

You are always welcome. We could do some decent recones. I'm not too bad with this ;)

But be aware! Good times are over :(

edgewound
11-23-2005, 03:14 PM
Thanks Guido...I bet we could:) ...a Happy Holiday Season to our European friends.

Titanium Dome
11-23-2005, 03:32 PM
Paragon,
What is your line of work and experience? That could make a big difference. I got my last job two years ago at age 43. It can be done!

I got my first really high paying job when I was 47. I got my current, better job in a totally different company when I was 49.

In both cases I had to move a long way and change professions, but it was worth taking the risk. Don't surrender to hopelessness. The greater the risk, the greater the reward. :yes:

Steve Schell
11-25-2005, 11:40 AM
Paragon, I am sure that you can do much better than your current situation. I have been a self-employed piano technician for the past 29 years, and now get the chills at the thought of a boss looking over my shoulder. The trick is to offer a product or service where the market is not saturated with competition, or to be among the best in a market so that there is not too much price competitiveness.

I am now 51, and am transitioning to a loudspeaker manufacturing partnership. There are many uncertainties, insecurities and expenses at this point. I like what Titanium Dome said: "The greater the risk, the greater the reward". Sure hope so.

paragon
11-26-2005, 11:09 AM
That`s it !:D
Thank you all for answer.

Eckhard