PDA

View Full Version : Changing gear goals..

whitese
11-23-2005, 07:37 AM
I go back and fourth with my gear goals....I know have some Quad ESL-63's, EV12trxb's and some Tannoy Monitor Gold 12's with the x-overs redone by DeHavilland Kara Chaffee...but,,,i dont think any of these are rockingly dynamic speakers per say because of their power limitations...sissy speakers...:p

All driven by Berning EA-230 triode in monoblocks (60 watts/ch)...

I want to setup a long time coming McIntosh (MC7200)-JBL system ...and was pondering trading the Quad ESL's for the L-222 or other if possible..

I wonder if that is the best choice....My previous JBL experience were my L-96's...and i want that kind of balance..

zincman
11-23-2005, 07:55 AM
My vote, although runs counter to this forum, are Altec A-7's. They lack some of the bottom end but high effeciency and major soundstage and imaging to boot :applaud:
Tim

whitese
11-23-2005, 07:57 AM
My vote, although runs counter to this forum, are Altec A-7's. They lack some of the bottom end but high effeciency and major soundstage and imaging to boot :applaud:
Tim

I dont even think a pair of those would fit in my full size Bronco...:bs:

grumpy
11-23-2005, 12:34 PM
Funny... I have L96's that were a bit scruffy when I bought 'em (no grill),
L112's that were a bit scruffier (re-edge of 128H's, reglue grill cloth,
replace broken grill pins), and L150A's I bought new...

I swear I still like the L96's better than the larger siblings that have the same
mid/tweet, especially when the room is smaller and they're up off the floor and a
bit into the room. Bass is "tighter" without sounding limited.

IM(sometimes not so)HO, JBL hit a sweet spot with those (at the time).

-grumpy

mikebake
11-23-2005, 01:37 PM
Tim
I know they are fun, but they really not in the same league with things like the big-boy JBL monitors in a number of parameters, and with the assumption that he has the budget, there are better choices.

Audiobeer
11-23-2005, 02:46 PM
I think a 65 watt tube amp would be great with some L-96 or 4313bs. I think you would be dissapointed with that amp and the L-222s.

spkrman57
11-23-2005, 03:02 PM
They have changed my mind on 2-ways, and I am a big fan of 2-way systems with horn loaded HF drivers!

They are just so much fun. I have been listening to the music instead of the gear!

Ron

Zilch
11-23-2005, 03:19 PM
They have changed my mind on 2-ways, and I am a big fan of 2-way systems with horn loaded HF drivers!

They are just so much fun. I have been listening to the music instead of the gear!:thmbsup:

Better'n spending the rest of our lives tweakin'.

[We still do SOME of that, tho.... :p ]

chad
11-24-2005, 06:44 AM
....I swear I still like the L96's better than the larger siblings that have the same
mid/tweet, especially when the room is smaller and they're up off the floor and a
bit into the room. Bass is "tighter" without sounding limited.

IM(sometimes not so)HO, JBL hit a sweet spot with those (at the time).

-grumpy

Ok, L96's will be gathering higher bids on ebay because of your statement.

:D

mike
11-24-2005, 08:01 AM
I can definitely relate to what you are saying about the Quads. I've owned a number of high end speakers that are very transparent but really not that enjoyable for daily listening. Sometimes when I hook up my 250Ti's they sound dull and lifeless compared to the L96's that I bought off of you last year. In fact I have the L96's hooked up now. Making lively and forward sounding speakers used to be JBL's thing until the early 80's or so.

Mike

whitese
11-24-2005, 08:06 AM
Mike, who is that dumb Sh*t that sold you them L-96's....LOL

Check this auction...he wont ship to the USA though! Anyone in Germany?

http://cgi.ebay.de/JBL-L96-Lautsprecher-Boxen-L-96-Raritaet_W0QQitemZ7565604507QQcategoryZ75881QQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem