PDA

View Full Version : UREI 525 crossover

grumpy
11-18-2005, 01:11 PM
picked up a filthy 525 on the cheap... powers up and now (after a good cleaning and
reseating of the TL084's in their sockets using connector cleaner) the circuits appear
to work properly (counter works on all four crossover points). I've seen mentioned on
this forum passing descriptions of hacks (modifications) to change slopes/gain/SE
output..., that the 525 wasn't originally designed for, but does anyone here have
experience of "simply" improving the perceived performance of the audio only?
such as op-amp replacements, or replacing the polarized 6.8uF caps prior to the
output amps, etc... (looking for -specifics-, not well-intended meanderings).

It may be that the TL084's are good enough for me, I have yet to hook up the unit, but
thought I'd ask before bolting the unit into a rack. If I do any mods (or feel I don't need
to), I'll be happy to report back.

Thanks!

-grumpy

Ian Mackenzie
11-18-2005, 04:40 PM
I think Scotty is a Wizzard with these. Hope he will chime in soon.

If not send him Pm.

regards

Ian

scott fitlin
11-18-2005, 04:47 PM
PM me, Ill give you a few tricks! Ill be away till Sunday evening, so it will have to wait till then, but Ill tell you a few things.

davp2000
11-18-2005, 07:00 PM
By-pass output transformers

davp2000

picked up a filthy 525 on the cheap... powers up and now (after a good cleaning and
reseating of the TL084's in their sockets using connector cleaner) the circuits appear
to work properly (counter works on all four crossover points). I've seen mentioned on
this forum passing descriptions of hacks (modifications) to change slopes/gain/SE
output..., that the 525 wasn't originally designed for, but does anyone here have
experience of "simply" improving the perceived performance of the audio only?
such as op-amp replacements, or replacing the polarized 6.8uF caps prior to the
output amps, etc... (looking for -specifics-, not well-intended meanderings).

It may be that the TL084's are good enough for me, I have yet to hook up the unit, but
thought I'd ask before bolting the unit into a rack. If I do any mods (or feel I don't need
to), I'll be happy to report back.

Thanks!

-grumpy

grumpy
11-21-2005, 09:55 AM
Thanks for all the good suggestions!! I'm balanced (er.. some would argue with that), from
preamp output on, so bypassing the transformers to convert to single ended
(and -perhaps- increase bandwidth and reduce distortion) is an interesting idea
that something someone else might like to try.

-grumpy