PDA

View Full Version : 4310 impressions

Regis
11-18-2005, 09:43 AM
Picked up an almost mint pair of 4310's for a very good price. The guy selling them knew what they were worth and again, I lucked out. I got the nice looking Crutchfield black ash stands for anothr $20. Curious as how the smaller bookshelf JBL's would sound on stands as I've never heard them in this configuration.

First impression; Turn down the brilliance and presence! OMG, these are not shy speakers at all! I was surprised at the bass output. I thought the Lansalloy surrounds would be somewhat wimpier than the foam. The sound coming out of these 30+ year old boxes is strong and clean. Very good presence, detail and separation. In other words, it sounds just like you'd expect a JBL should sound. No disappointment here at all and I am quite happy sitting in front of them. The bass is solid and though it doesn't go as deep as the 2214'd L-150's or my L-300, it is very, very good. I will post pics this weekend of the new members of the small JBL crew here. Lessee, L-110, 4311, L-150 and L-300. God, that's only four pairs!

Rolf
11-18-2005, 09:46 AM
Picked up an almost mint pair of 4310's for a very good price. The guy selling them knew what they were worth and again, I lucked out. I got the nice looking Crutchfield black ash stands for anothr $20. Curious as how the smaller bookshelf JBL's would sound on stands as I've never heard them in this configuration.

First impression; Turn down the brilliance and presence! OMG, these are not shy speakers at all! I was surprised at the bass output. I thought the Lansalloy surrounds would be somewhat wimpier than the foam. The sound coming out of these 30+ year old boxes is strong and clean. Very good presence, detail and separation. In other words, it sounds just like you'd expect a JBL should sound. No disappointment here at all and I am quite happy sitting in front of them. The bass is solid and though it doesn't go as deep as the 2214'd L-150's or my L-300, it is very, very good. I will post pics this weekend of the new members of the small JBL crew here. Lessee, L-110, 4311, L-150 and L-300. God, that's only four pairs!

Proves it again. Old, obsolite ... still sounding good...

:) :D :applaud:

Rolf

clmrt
11-18-2005, 09:52 AM
I'm suprised to hear they have Lansaloy surrounds.

57BELAIRE
11-18-2005, 10:29 AM
I'm suprised to hear they have Lansaloy surrounds.

Me too...they should be be black pleated cloth.

Double check those woofers...in fact, check all the drivers (I would),
except maybe the LE20's...you'd have to remove the foil ring and that usually
ruins them.

Nice score!:applaud:

Regis
11-18-2005, 12:54 PM
My error, it is black pleated cloth! I've been home for the last couple of hours, trying to get out of the house. Every time I try, the 4310's keep making me stay and listen to them :p . These friggin' speakers absolutely pound! The 4310 Control Monitors are some bad-ass speakers! I love these things! I started out with smooth jazz, yah, that sounds very nice. Put some tracks off've the Genesis compilation CD (Platinum). Abacab, Land of Confusion and Home by the Sea, sound awesome. After that, bump it up and start feeding some serious techno to these things. Boy, did they meet the challenge. They about half beat me to death! A 250 watt ESS Eclipse amp is driving them and they're not breaking a sweat. I'm surprised the black-pleated cloth works so well, as the bass is pretty deep and solid.

edgewound
11-18-2005, 02:04 PM
My error, it is black pleated cloth! I've been home for the last couple of hours, trying to get out of the house. Every time I try, the 4310's keep making me stay and listen to them :p . These friggin' speakers absolutely pound! The 4310 Control Monitors are some bad-ass speakers! I love these things! I started out with smooth jazz, yah, that sounds very nice. Put some tracks off've the Genesis compilation CD (Platinum). Abacab, Land of Confusion and Home by the Sea, sound awesome. After that, bump it up and start feeding some serious techno to these things. Boy, did they meet the challenge. They about half beat me to death! A 250 watt ESS Eclipse amp is driving them and they're not breaking a sweat. I'm surprised the black-pleated cloth works so well, as the bass is pretty deep and solid.

Well...that pleated compliance is probably pretty well broken in by now. The solid bass is that 50-60hz chest thumper that gives the music that "kick". Just be careful not to get too excited with them or you'll be off to the recone shop. To recone with C8R2212 (123A-1) is $290.00ea, the D8RLE20-1 is NLA and neither is C8RLE5-9(2105)...C8RLE5-2 is still available @$91.00. Just FYI, Regis. Sounds like you got a good addition to the collection:) .