PDA

View Full Version : Are you a good Forum poster?

Ian Mackenzie
11-15-2005, 09:49 PM
I have previewed some posts recently and compared them to previous posts on this and other forums.

We appear at times to have a lot of noise on our forums, particularly the technical help forums.

That said we are all here to have fun and enjoy our interest/ hobby.

As a spectator you may wish to weigh in with an opinion or a fact.

A contributor may want to express or clarify technical information.

But is it a fact or an opinion that you are posting and is it relavent and industrious to the original purpose of the thread?

How often do you think about where your feedback or comments or venting should be posted?

chad
11-17-2005, 09:13 AM
You are over-analyzing this concept.

Stop being like me, dammit.

Ian Mackenzie
11-17-2005, 09:19 AM
Not really,

Just remember someone else might be trying to read a thread.

No I'm just kidding!:offtopic: :rotfl:

clmrt
11-17-2005, 09:40 AM
I'm a "helper" - I don't sit and listen to people, I try to find the problem and fix it for them, wether they want me to or not.

That said, I look for posts with zero replies, and if i have anything that might help, I offer it. Often in layman terms, since I myself am a layman with no technical education, only experience. If that experience is relevant, I offer it.

It will not always be correct, but it will apply, theoretically.

Rolf
11-17-2005, 03:44 PM
I myself am a layman with no technical education, only experience. If that experience is relevant, I offer it.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/applaud.gif http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/applaud.gif http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/applaud.gif Me to.

Rolf

paragon
11-17-2005, 03:58 PM
A good poster ??, No !! To young to know much about good old JBL drivers.:D

Eckhard

Ian Mackenzie
11-17-2005, 06:12 PM
I'm a "helper" - I don't sit and listen to people, I try to find the problem and fix it for them, wether they want me to or not.

That said, I look for posts with zero replies, and if i have anything that might help, I offer it. Often in layman terms, since I myself am a layman with no technical education, only experience. If that experience is relevant, I offer it.

I know what you mean.

Sometimes a zero reply can imply the same question has been asked very frequently. In that case a simple post directing to an appropriate thread is all that is required.

Relevance is an interesting issue.

Proliferation or Thread Jacking of the original posters request or aim needs to be stamped out. (Crash is a dedicated stamper much like some of the fixer programs in The Matrix.)

This quickly leads to off topic meandering, opinion wars and the original poster becomes insulted by the ego infantile self infatuated trumpeting that sends a message of being an jack of all trades but a master if none.

As a rule this kind of poster's information should be treated with a grain of salt.

I do think however if the direction is taken as discussed in the DIY post poll it will certainly assist in cleaning up the confusion over where and when to post.

Mr. Widget
11-17-2005, 07:03 PM
Proliferation or Thread Jacking of the original posters request or aim needs to be stamped out.

I'm glad you brought this up... I've wanted to talk about those little red JBL stamps for sometime now...:duck:

Sorry... I just couldn't help myself... I've been hanging out with the likes of Giskard and Lancer for far too long.

Widget

morbo!
11-17-2005, 07:13 PM
:applaud:
i might be the worst poster here

but i know comedy when i see it!

morbo!

Don C
11-17-2005, 07:40 PM
You guys quit changing the subject. We were talking about good posters. I like black light posters myself.

Ian Mackenzie
11-17-2005, 07:47 PM
I only wish we saw the JBL stamp of approval more often on these forums.

The first and probably last one was only recently and even then it was proceeded and followed by proliferation. Some people just can't wait for or accept the facts. If meandering was heaven they'd be Saints!

Taken that the afformentioned proposal legitimises diy pseudoism then those that want to free fall in their own incarnations can do so while the those looking for the facts can read with assurance in vintage JBL restorations

I'm glad you brought this up... I've wanted to talk about those little red JBL stamps for sometime now...:duck:

Sorry... I just couldn't help myself... I've been hanging out with the likes of Giskard and Lancer for far too long.

Widget

Ian Mackenzie
11-17-2005, 07:55 PM
Perhaps a JBL sticker on a post or a thread header will become the stamp of approval that it is correct and accurate :thmbsup: while those vetted to be less so will get the :bs: (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=7#)stamp.

Don C
11-17-2005, 10:47 PM
I often give certain threads or members a personal BS stamp. But it is obviously better to keep those opinions to myself. Do we really want to want to discourage people from posting? On most days, I would like to see more posting, not less.

Ian Mackenzie
11-18-2005, 01:48 AM
I often give certain threads or members a personal BS stamp. But it is obviously better to keep those opinions to myself. Do we really want to want to discourage people from posting? On most days, I would like to see more posting, not less.

Not at all, use the ignore function if you are growing tired of a member.

We are all entitled to an opinion. But its a case of stating if you are offering an opinion, a fact or shooting the breeze and where and how you do this.

Unfortunately some are (becoming) so enambered with their own opinions and wisdom that they post in a fashion that would lead one to think they know their facts when in fact they dont.

This leads to a certain private Venting and tends to make the job of cleaning up of "opinions" frustrating for our better contributors.

Those in possession of the true facts tend to be more reserved but at times are short tempered when they see the facts continually distorted by the same opinionated members.

And so life goes on................

rek50
11-18-2005, 06:44 AM
"Those in possession of the true facts tend to be more reserved but at times are short tempered when they see the facts continually distorted by the same opinionated members" The "Facts" WILL still exist. Unmet expectations lead to rough sailing. Balancing expectations to maintain positive energy flow is a choice. Carry too BIG of a cup and it will always be "Half Full". We're only people:)

Ian Mackenzie
11-18-2005, 07:02 AM
Sorry I'm not a poet. What your point?

I thought we're all human.:barf:

Most people who parade around not knowing what they are talking about but tell it like they do are well aware of their sin. Politicians are a prime example.:barf:

rek50
11-18-2005, 09:58 AM
Another Forum's member's signature: The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same. ~ Carlos Castaneda .... Ian, I doubt that you are miserable. People who parade around not knowing what they are talking about is nothing new. Just as going off topic, or becoming so enambered with their own opinions and wisdom, is nothing new. That's the "People Part". You may expect them to be different (Carry a big cup), but realistically, do you think they are obligated to more than "Their" vision/perception? If the sum of values determines behavior, and values are a product of perception, what we choose to value is not necessarily the choice of all. IMO, What upsets us is how we choose to deal with the inevitable differences of perceptions...

Lancer
11-18-2005, 10:00 AM
No.

Rolf
11-18-2005, 10:26 AM
use the ignore function if you are growing tired of a member.

Yes...Why don't we all put everybody else on the ignore list?http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/banghead.gif Then you know you are right, as nobody else can reply.http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/baby.gif I am really getting tired of you who do not agree with me...http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/biting.gif

Really people, why are we here if not to hear others opinion and get help?

I have NONE on my ignore list, and if somebody should decide to put somebody on it, it must be Don or one of his trusted moderators. Not to be judged by all of us "others".

Just my opinion, and if I am put on somebodys "Ignore list" I would like to know why by a private message before it is done.

Rolf

Rolf
11-18-2005, 10:28 AM
No.

I agree.http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/applaud.gif http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/smile.gif

Titanium Dome
11-18-2005, 10:43 AM
No.

I'm a worse poster than you, as I'm sure Ian would agree, since it took me all these words to say what could have been encapsulated in "Me, too."

Mr. Widget
11-18-2005, 10:52 AM
I'm a worse poster than you, as I'm sure Ian would agree, since it took me all these words to say what could have been encapsulated in "Me, too."

:rotfl:

Me Three!!!!
I know Ian's heart is in the right place, but I don't think this is the way to get there....

Widget

Lancer
11-18-2005, 11:06 AM
I'm a worse poster than you, as I'm sure Ian would agree, since it took me all these words to say what could have been encapsulated in "Me, too." :applaud:

I have NONE on my ignore list, and if somebody should decide to put somebody on it, it must be Don or one of his trusted moderators.Oh hell! Those ratbastards were the FIRST to go on my "LA LA LA, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" list. :p

Regis
11-18-2005, 01:14 PM
Am I good poster? Gawd, I'm driven more by emotion and my lust for JBL than anything else. We need a wide variety of people to participate, from the tech-bots :p to the know-nots. It makes it ahem, 'interesting'.

Ian Mackenzie
11-18-2005, 01:20 PM
No.

Yes, you should stop repeating yourself......:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

spkrman57
11-18-2005, 01:30 PM
Someday when I grow up I will learn the right way to do things like post properly to forums.

:p

Ron

Ian Mackenzie
11-18-2005, 01:33 PM
Are we people..............? Ah yes emotions and temperaments.

I always go all funny when Miss Orchard post..:D

Imagine some goof ball who comes along and babbles about how you should try this and try that for about 10 paragraphs (no names) and then says and then annonces to the lead poster at the end.

"Oh, I really think this discussion and whole thread is off topic and should be moved to another forum.
I mean for f$%^ sake (to quote Billy Connolly) f$%^ off! ":rotfl: :offtopic: :rotfl:

This can lead to all sorts of domestic disturbance. During my travels in the U.S.A on at least one occassion I saw the disgruntled reaction of a member to another's post...steam from the ears surely not! Some people just insist on pissing others off, for some it comes naturally.

But consider this.

Image you have a birds eye view of 50 members following a thread.

There they are sitting in their house in the Pc room in front of a little box on a table and attempting to make a contribution on an important issue and suddenty some asshole comes along and vents his speen and all hell breaks loose.

Oh F..O... you rude bastard..that's crap, bollocks..total looser..Heck what would you know..you've never spoken to the guy so how would you know who he was or he wasn't!

Your old lady comes in and complains...Oh shut up ..slam goes the door...your not getting yours.... tonight!

Or if your in an internet Kiosk ( a community internet booth ) and this ape comes over and say "hey buster" Are you telling me to F..O..?

The point it only takes one to spoil a party..and the collateral damage is widespread!

And then Dirty Harry has to come in a sweep up the mess.

JuniorJBL
11-18-2005, 02:01 PM
No.

I cannnt even spell "fourm":blah:

norealtalent
11-18-2005, 05:53 PM
The point it only takes one to spoil a party..and the collateral damage is widespread!

[Partial QUOTE]Ian

No more monkey see, monkey do...

When I grow up, I'm gonna be a kid!!!:blink:

Ian Mackenzie
11-18-2005, 06:13 PM

[Partial QUOTE]Ian

No more monkey see, monkey do...

When I grow up, I'm gonna be a kid!!!:blink:

Oh yeah. well check this out: I've been accused of bad taste once this week so that's twice now.

http://gprime.net/video.php/trunkmonkey1

:applaud: :montyp:

norealtalent
11-18-2005, 06:53 PM
Oh yeah. well check this out: I've been accused of bad taste once this week so that's twice now.

http://gprime.net/video.php/trunkmonkey1

:applaud: :montyp:

I don't think thats bad taste Ian. I want one for my wifes car!!!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

edgewound
11-18-2005, 07:28 PM
Yessirree...

I want a trunk monkey too!!!:applaud: . That's hilarious, Ian.

morbo!
11-18-2005, 07:48 PM
who ever thought that was in bad taste needs to go live with the armish

or just escaped!

you`ll be safe from the world with those guys!!!:banghead:

or maybe the moon theirs a nice pic of a crater where you probally wouldn`t be offended but u never know

p.s raise a barn for me

p.p.s whats offensive to morbo (PEOPLE WHO PIERCE TO EXTEREMES)(MORBO WANT`S TO RIP OUT EYE BROW RINGS),NOSE RING!TIE YOU BEHIND MY BIKE

Ian Mackenzie
11-18-2005, 07:51 PM
For the benefit of our French members we are referring to a

"Le Trooonk Minkee"

morbo!
11-18-2005, 07:53 PM
and yes `you do need a licence to own them`

Robh3606
11-18-2005, 08:30 PM
That is one funny clip. They run those add's in New York. They have one where a guys is getting a ticket and the trunk monkey goes to hand him a twenty dollar bill. The monkey see's the cop frown hides the cash and switches to donuts!!! It ends with the monkey in the police car. One of the funniest commercials I have seen in a while.

Rob:applaud:

Rolf
11-18-2005, 11:55 PM
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/applaud.gif
Oh hell! Those ratbastards were the FIRST to go on my "LA LA LA, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" list. http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Very well Lancer....http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Rolf

Rolf
11-19-2005, 12:00 AM
And then Dirty Harry has to come in a sweep up the mess.

Hi Ian. I thougt he was retired? Why not call Superman. He does not get old....does he? ;)

Rolf