PDA

View Full Version : Watt Rating for 4311 ?

vinyldog
11-15-2005, 09:22 PM
Can someone please tell me what some stock 4311 control monitors can handle as far as watts ?

Mr. Widget
11-15-2005, 11:27 PM
The 4311 was rated at 40 watts continuous sine wave. The L100 which was essentially the same speaker was rated at 50 watts continuous program.

Power requirements are generally determined by application. As with any quality speaker, there is no such thing as an amp that is too big... just don't drive it into distortion or the point where you notice blood dripping from your ears.:blink:

I wouldn't use a pair with anything less than 75-100 watts, and 200wpc would be ideal.

Widget

bigstereo
11-16-2005, 04:40 AM
So you are saying that my 4311's will be okay with my Phase 400II as long as I don't "crank em"? Sorry, I'm not an "audiophile" even though I am very much into the classic gear, and some of the new stuff. What is this sine wave that you speak of?

:hmm:

Rj

vinyldog
11-16-2005, 05:46 AM
The 4311 was rated at 40 watts continuous sine wave. The L100 which was essentially the same speaker was rated at 50 watts continuous program.

Power requirements are generally determined by application. As with any quality speaker, there is no such thing as an amp that is too big... just don't drive it into distortion or the point where you notice blood dripping from your ears.:blink:

I wouldn't use a pair with anything less than 75-100 watts, and 200wpc would be ideal.

Widget

So I guess I would be ok using my Carver TFM-25 on them as long as I don't turn it way up ? Thanks

majick47
11-16-2005, 10:36 AM
vinyldog my brother has a pair of 4311b and he's powering them with a Yamaha MX-1000u amp (260 watts x 2). The best way to describe the sound of his Yamaha amp compared to a previous smaller less powerful amp is that the sound is now a lot "fuller" and "cleaner". Another benefit of a larger amp is that you will be able to play it at lower levels and still enjoy the speakers.

Mr. Widget
11-16-2005, 10:45 AM
So you are saying that my 4311's will be okay with my Phase 400II as long as I don't "crank em"?
It'll be fine. It will even be fine if you crank it up. With a 200wpc amp, if you are playing 40 watts rms continuously, you will be clipping some of the peaks. (not good... to play 40 watts rms continuously, the rule of thumb is that you should be using a 400 watt amp. you want 10dB of headroom.) I realize it doesn't sound like it but I doubt you frequently ask this much from your amp.

So I guess I would be ok using my Carver TFM-25 on them as long as I don't turn it way up ? Thanks
Yep, see above... unless you are drunk, stoned, or deaf, the speakers will let you know when either the amp or speakers have had enough.

The last time I blew a driver was a raging party where we had the tunes fully cranked... I knew how far the preamp could be cranked and remain safe from previous sober listening :D, this evening I was blasted, we ultimately were out in the street dancing and doing fire poi... someone decided that the system wasn't quite loud enough and went just a bit too far. I sure as hell didn't notice. A CD jewel box that had been left on an amp turned into a puddle. I lost two Klipsch 15s and a Meyer compression driver... an expensive party.

Widget

bigstereo
11-16-2005, 12:36 PM
[QUOTE=Mr. Widget]It'll be fine. It will even be fine if you crank it up. With a 200wpc amp, if you are playing 40 watts rms continuously, you will be clipping some of the peaks. (not good... to play 40 watts rms continuously, the rule of thumb is that you should be using a 400 watt amp. you want 10dB of headroom.) I realize it doesn't sound like it but I doubt you frequently ask this much from your amp.

I have'nt even played the 4311's with the Phase 400 yet. But I am itching to do so. They just came on Monday and I've been enjoying them on my Sansui 9090DB so far. They sound wonderful.
I did fry a tweeter on a brand new pair of JBL E100's that I was playing at around 70 percent power on the Phase 400. But I think it was because I had an equilizer in the loop and too much high freq boost killed the tweeter. Those E100's were supposed to satisfied my want for a nice pair of JBL's but I was disappointed in them for playing music at loud volumn levels. They do sound nice as fronts on a my 5.1 surround system though. Thanks for the info. Guys like you are the reason guys like me found this board to read and learn from people who know what they're talking about and we all share the love for our JBL's

RJ:rockon2:

bigstereo
11-16-2005, 12:43 PM
Can someone please tell me what some stock 4311 control monitors can handle as far as watts ?

Dude, I did'nt mean to bust in on your thread like that but I just got a pair of 4311's and I had some of the same type of questions on my set up.

RJ

mike
11-17-2005, 03:47 PM
The 4311 and L100 were very conservatively rated as far as power handling goes. As long as there is no audible distortion you will likely never damage your 4311's. I've seen these speakers driven pretty hard with 100 to 200 watt per channel amps and it does not seem to phase them. I think a 100 watt per channel amp is just about perfect for them. Although like any speaker you don't want to flat out abuse them.

Mike

majick47
11-17-2005, 04:19 PM
From personal experience with JBLs I'd err on the side of higher wattage than lower. I have 420x2 watt power amp for my L300 and I'm positive that they could handle 500-600 watts easy. My estimate is that the 4311 could take +/- 250 watts to bring out their full potential.