PDA

View Full Version : LE111A repair question

Phil H
11-15-2005, 06:07 PM
I have a pair of L110s that need new surrounds. I have never replaced surrounds and I had a couple quick questions. Would these be more difficult for a beginner than other drivers? Approximately how much would it cost to repair or replace the driver if I screw-up?

I tend to go back and forth between two philosophies: shoemaker stick to thy shoe, and the wanna-be Renaissance Man. I've read the thread on how-to and that looneytunes2001 is a good place to get a kit. (PS I don't want to do it myself to save money; it just seems like it might be fun to learn).

morbo!
11-15-2005, 06:20 PM
(PS I don't want to do it myself to save money; it just seems like it might be fun to learn).

it is
it`s one of my favorite hobby`s and i suspect quite afew others here as well
and some don`t like it but u know
u wont screw up as long as you clean all the old glue off
always examine your spiders before refoaming!
take your time and follow the instructions u found!

good luck!
morbo!
p.s im a firm beliver in shimming
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/foamrepair_e.html

this site might shine some more light on your endevor
but i clean way more than that guy
and i dont like the way he shims either

Phil H
11-18-2005, 06:18 PM
I decided againt experimenting. So, I contacted edgewound and left the L110's at his shop this morning. It was a pleasure to meet him and I know my speakers are in very good hands.
Phil

edgewound
11-18-2005, 07:20 PM
I decided againt experimenting. So, I contacted edgewound and left the L110's at his shop this morning. It was a pleasure to meet him and I know my speakers are in very good hands.
Phil

Thanks so much for your confidence, Phil...and your business. It was a pleasure to meet you today, too.

Phil picked up some beatiful L110's on eBay with rotten surrounds. The enclosures are in very nice condition. I'm gonna take good care of them. Maybe I'll post some before and after pics. Have a great weekend.

morbo!
11-18-2005, 09:57 PM
We want pics

i didnt know u had a shop edgy

i want details

what do u sell their ?!

any pics of your shop on here?

p.s i`ll stop giving away trade secrets ;)

2pair
11-18-2005, 10:21 PM
Maybe I'll post some before and after pics.

I, for one, would also like to see pics of these particular drivers getting fixed up. I had a pair of 110's I also sent in to be done, so I missed out on the process. It woulda been fun to do myself but I didn't want to muck them up.

The same goes for my mechanical watches... I'm jealous that my jewller gets the fun of opening them up and disassembling them.

I'm annoyed when I can't fix something on the cars myself too...

:blah: etc.

morbo!
11-18-2005, 10:56 PM
What u never fixed a watch?
or rebuilt a car
apparently i pulled apart my 1st mechanical clock when i was 4 (with a hammer and a screwdriver :blink: dont remember it though

edgewound
12-02-2005, 04:39 PM
Phil H just picked up his gorgeous L110's just a few minutes ago. I said I'd post some pics...so here they are:
Before the operation...

edgewound
12-02-2005, 04:44 PM
After the refoam:

edgewound
12-02-2005, 04:49 PM
Assembled L110s....Phil H scored with this purchase as the cabinets are in beautiful condition...after a little Watco Rejuvenating oil, they look like new...and sound great. Enjoy, Phil H.:)

Earl K
12-02-2005, 04:52 PM
Wow , aren't those nice !!

Nice work Edgewound ! :)

Phil H
12-02-2005, 06:33 PM
I am awestruck. Thank you edgewound. They look great and sound great!! I heard good things about the L110's. But, I am still suprised how good they sound.

edgewound
12-03-2005, 12:09 PM
Thanks, Phil H, Earl K. Many happy listening hours...Merry Christmas, Happy holidays to all.