PDA

View Full Version : Shipping overseas

JBL Dog
09-16-2003, 08:51 AM
I just sold a set of 077's to a guy in Taiwan. I sent him USPS rates ranging $50 - $103 for him to choose from. He e-mailed claiming the rates were too high.

:banghead:

Do anyone know of a company that can beat overseas USPS rates. FEDEX wants $135 for the same service USPS offers at $103. I've always been under the impression USPS rates are the best for a package that size.

Thanks!

This message comes from JBL Dog :band:

boputnam
09-16-2003, 08:58 AM
The best I've found is USPS, at least for rates.

They are impossibly slow, but you get what you pay for. :D

"Tracking" is a whole 'nother question...

Robh3606
09-16-2003, 10:09 AM
Well I looked ino it to go to France and Australia and in both cases USPS had the best rates. That's not bad for shipping 077 there at all.

"Tracking" is a whole 'nother question...

Yeah like there is none once it leaves US. Just have to ship and hope.

Rob:)

JBL Dog
09-16-2003, 10:18 AM
I require insurance for all international shipments. Tracking is possible because of that. I also require return receipt as proof of delivery. The last time i shipped to France, the "ground" shipment got there at the tail end of the 4 - 6 week window.

But, you do get what you pay for! :yes:

Thanks for the responses Bo and Rob! I didn't think there was a less expensive option.

:cheers:

Alex Lancaster
09-16-2003, 12:30 PM
The guy from Taiwan is full of it, ask Him to get a better rate; I have had small shipments from the East and Europe, and it is not cheap.

Hey, tell´m to buy a container, 47,300#´s and You'll pay for the shipping, it will only be about $2700 + insurance.

Alex.

Audiobeer
09-16-2003, 04:34 PM
That's why i won;t deal with international shipping unless I know the person. Ask him if He knows anyone in the states you could ship it to?

JBL Dog
09-29-2003, 01:11 AM
The guy from Taiwan was rejected 3 times by Bidpay. Relisted them! Same result! Bid/no pay!

Guido
09-29-2003, 03:29 AM
Hello JBL Friends,

don't stop dealing with overseas:cool:

I made several deals with american sellers and always paid!

We used USPS economy. It's by far the cheapest way but takes 4 to 6 weeks.

Never had problems.

luxmanlover
09-29-2003, 06:22 AM
Those rates sound about right to me. I just shipped 2 15" drivers to Belgium and freight was 120.00 CND. I used Canada Post as their rates were by far the cheapest. It is frustrating to phone all over getting rated and then to hear "oh , that's way to much for shipping". Hop in on a plane and come get them then.... lol... However freight is often a deal killer.
Kelly

leif
09-29-2003, 12:19 PM
Agree with you Guido.
Dont stop sellin to us that live on the outposts of the world.
I have wanted to buy several items on Ebay, but sellers refuse to sell to other than americans. That is pretty frustrating.

Even if Norway is said to be the country with most JBL gear (compare to the amount of people we are) in the world, people do not tend to sell their stuff. So the second hand market is very very limited here...

Leif Arild
Norway

boputnam
09-29-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by leif
I have wanted to buy several items on Ebay, but sellers refuse to sell to other than americans. I don't think that's the reason, but I can't speak for all eBay'ers :duck:

IMO, it is a real hassle to ship overseas. The customs forms are tedious, and I've heard that too often the buyers ask to write-down the valuation for import duty. That is a drag, and if it is going on, puts the seller in an unnecessarily compromised position.

Likewise, on stuff I've agreed to ship o/s, the buyer wants slowboat USPS, which makes me cross :biting: after all the work I've put into something, to have it risked in shipping is ludicrous.

Anyway, that's my take :bomb:

/rant_off :rotfl:

(ps - I ship o/s anyway, all the time, I just had a need to rant... ;) )

Guido
09-29-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by boputnam

(ps - I ship o/s anyway, all the time, I just had a need to rant... ;) )

:cheers:

JBL Dog
09-29-2003, 04:40 PM
My problems with overseas bidders started when I required "bidpay" as the only form of payment I would accept. I was accepting "paypal", but I figured it was a matter time before I would be burned by a buyer with an "unconfirmed" shipping address that would either be using a stolen card or somehow reverse the charges. Not a single overseas bidder I've accepted paypal from has a "confirmed" shipping address.

Even though I am clearly stating "bidpay only" in my Ebay auctions, the bidder "buys" and then you don't hear from them. In the meantime they continue to bid on other auctions.

Time to lay low for awhile........ :D

leif
09-29-2003, 07:42 PM
Yes, I guess there will always be some morons on the market that spoil it for the rest of us. That is a sad fact.
In my cases, I have sent a mail to the seller, saying that I am willing to transfer money ahead of the shipment. I have offered me to arrange everythin when it come to shipping, but still get "no, I will not sell outside USA".
The shipping company at the airport I work at, say they can arrange every single bit of the shipping. The boxes will be picked up in the sellers home, and brought to my doorstep. The seller has to do nothing. And when I am willing to pay for that, and send money to the seller, so he have the cash before the boxes is picked up, well then I really see why they will not sell me...

Damn it (sorro for the language) that www.imageaudio.no is so expensive. It is a shop only 5 minute drive from my home.
(if you go on "brukt" you will see second hand stuff). Share the price with 7 to get price in US dollars. Share the price with 5 to et it in canadian dollars...

Bruno GINARD
10-04-2003, 04:53 AM
Two weeks ago, I bought two 15” vintage loudspeakers from Mike Caldwell (a very serious seller…)

I explained to Mike the problem of shipping overseas from Ohio to my county in France, and my anxiety about the risk of damage, loss, and so one. He decided to use FEDEX first class service. Total freight rate was 155 $ for a 5 or 6 days air mail after receiving my Bank Transfer.

It’s a lot of money only for carrying 2 loudspeakers, but IMO European customers (and others all over the world) have to take for granted that it’s an integrated part of the total price. Second hand market in France (and in Europe) for JBL Vintages speakers is lifeless, and USA market is the only way for a passionate.

The parcel leave Mike’s home on Monday, at 16.00 PM, and I received it at home Friday at 10.55 AM ( GMT). During the week, I had a 24/24 H detailed track record of the trip on FedEx Web site with the reference number … It was impressive.:eek:

If buyer and seller are serious guys, and if the seller makes a good parcel, there are no reasons to have problems