PDA

View Full Version : Do you agree?

Velociraptor84
11-11-2005, 07:05 PM
Many people have told me that specs are important and many says that it isnt important but do you guys think specs are imporatnt to know since it gives you accurite infos about a speaker or receiver? I can say my dad is a pro drumer and he has heard lots of speakers and he tells me many times that trust your ears and don't look at specs. He says just pretend that you don't know the specs and just listen and then decide which speakers you want or headphones you want. But I don't 100% agree with that since I really persionaly think you need to know specs to judge if a speakers is good. Since if you only trust your ear you might pick the worst speakers or headphones that doesn't have good specs at all. My dad did say that everyone hears differently and everyone has different taste on sound so that's why they are tons of speakers out there. But do you guys agree with me or my dad? My dad is a pro musician he has been to many recording studios and done lots of recording.

morbo!
11-11-2005, 07:14 PM
i kinda say id have to agree with you dad
if you seen my system you`d understand
3/4 of the peepz here would prolly shake their heads in shame
but i dont care and love it to death

gonna make some mods with the suggestions these guys made!
very inteligent bunch of people here
me excluded:D
the only way to tell whats going on in your room is smaartlive as far as im concerned .As humans have poor or no hearing at high end of the audio spectrum and flaws in our bass hearing you can only trust your ears in the mid range
p.s thanks to bo i got the shock of my life when i turned up the bass knob and their was no lower frequncies MEASURED than in the flat position,just louder and distorted
download smaartlive plug in a good mic and play and learn i have been

Tom Loizeaux
11-11-2005, 07:35 PM
I say trust your ears...BUT one needs to be educated as to what good audio sounds like! Many people, who are unaware of audio truth, turn their bass and treble controls all the way up thinking it makes the music sound better. Many people, when auditioning good speakers next to poor quality ones will choose the poor quality ones! Appreciating good audio is a bit like appreciating good art, movie or wine. It takes some experience, sohistication and aquired taste to really know the difference. Even to relativly experienced listeners, there is a tendancy to like systems with enhanced sound, ie: boomy bass, exagerated highs, etc. After extended listening over a long time frame will the average listener will begin to long for a flatter, more natural response.
Specs are a tool in understanding what performance a componant was designed to deliver. As you find dissatisfaction in some area of your audio system, the specs will usually lead you to why you are dissatisfied.
One tip is to listen to a range of different systems. By critical listening you may find that you lean toward a certain type or quality of sound.

The journey to find musical perfection is a long trip.

Tom

Velociraptor84
11-11-2005, 08:00 PM
But isn't specs important too? Since you could say this speaker sounds the best and it could have the worst specs ever you know. Well I know that of cource that a monitor like my Edirol MA-10D's say that is goes from 45hz to 35kHz -2db but of cource that a monitor that costs twice as much will sound better even if they both say they go from 45hz to 35kHz -2db.

morbo!
11-11-2005, 08:05 PM
smaartlive

your dog might hear 35khz but you certainly wont
thats just hype as far as im concerned for people who will spend big $$$$$$ for somthing they will never hear
35khz
ffs i never seen a meter that goes that high
45hz
my poorly designed system does way better than that(about 36hz)but working to get it better by modding bigger cabinets
so them specs suck to me
again dload smaartlive the demo is fully functional for 30 days (free)education

if you have a program called cool edit
go to generate generate a tone from 20hz to 35 khz over a 2 minet period and listen to where your hearing drops out
16 khz for me
20hz to 20khz is important
every thing below audio to above visual (uv) is part of the same spectrum
the electromagnectic spectrum

Mr. Widget
11-11-2005, 08:38 PM
But isn't specs important too? Specs are very important. A single specification such as the one you posted which is an on axis response specification isn't terribly useful by itself. Beyond that specs aren't terribly important for an end user. If you are designing a system and have access to a full battery of test results, they can be extremely useful... even necessary. For an end user they may give you a hint at the qualities of a speaker but only a hint.

Think of a single specification as a women's silhouette. A beautiful silhouette is no guarantee that you won't be disappointed when meeting in person. (Sorry for the sexist analogy, but you get the idea.)

Widget

Mr. Widget
11-11-2005, 08:54 PM
Well I know that of cource that a monitor like my Edirol MA-10D's say that is goes from 45hz to 35kHz -2db but of cource that a monitor that costs twice as much will sound better even if they both say they go from 45hz to 35kHz -2db. I wouldn't count on it. Cost is no guarantee of quality just as an advertiser's claim to 45Hz to 35KHz is no guarantee that it will actually offer that level of performance in the real world.

As for that specification. There is no upper limit posted. We assume it is +/- 2dB. I know from experience that it is not possible for a 3 5/8" woofer to produce 45 Hz at more than perhaps 75-80dB with boundary reinforcement. (Even with that caveat I am being generous.) I just looked at the link again and they do not post any tolerance for the stated response of that speaker. I would suggest that the HF probably doesn't actually extend to 35KHz either... but I don't find that spec of any real relevance since there are excellent speakers that barely make 20KHz and real dogs that do go out to 30KHz and beyond... The upper limit just isn't a very critical issue compared to virtually everything else.

What is your point with this line of questions? Are you trying to get an "expert" opinion on your speakers? Are you just jerking our chains? I imagine you have already posed these questions to your dad. Trust him.

Widget

morbo!
11-11-2005, 09:02 PM
and trust Mr.Widgets zen
it very cool
and i would not discount anyones opinion here every body cares about their sound
p.s nice analagy Mr.Widget

Velociraptor84
11-11-2005, 09:05 PM
Edirol is from Roland a company from Japan. Edirol means Edit Roland. I know how accurite thay make there speakers is since I actualy been to Japan and seeing how they make speakers and other products. I see how serious they are when they work and they rarely make mistakes on there products since they want there products to be there best. Infos about speakers and other things are been checked often to make sure they are right too. To get to the point just trust me on this I know this for sure. :)

Ian Mackenzie
11-11-2005, 09:06 PM
Quote:

"Many people have told me that specs are important and many says that it isnt important but do you guys think specs are imporatnt to know since it gives you accurite infos about a speaker or receiver?"

You need to know the sensitivity and power handling so you can determine if it will produce sufficient dynamic range without distortion.

Beyond that a trained ear is most important....that's what your Dad is saying!

That takes experience...and I am not talking about test tones.

Also, depending on the characteristics of the loudspeaker it may sound better in a certain environments and on some types of program material than others.

So pick your taste in program material and listening conditions.

I suggest first you become familair with a known baseline. For a good a reference have a listen to this true near field monitor...these are not expensive by the way and will give you much wider lattitude in capability and in my view a better long investment.

http://alesis.com/products/m1active/

Specifications
Low Frequency Driver: 6.5" non-woven carbon fiber with Santoprene surround and dual magnet shielded configuration

High Frequency Driver: 1" silk dome with medium viscosity ferrofluid coolant and dual magnet shielded configuration

Crossover: 1500Hz, 8th-order, 48dB/octave filters

Input Impedance: 20k_ balanced, 10k_ unbalanced

LF Filter: 2nd order, "optimal Q" high pass, +1dB boost@50Hz

LF Amplifier: 75 watts, 8_ load

LF Amp Distortion:less than 0.03% thd @ 30w
lf amp slew rate:<>19V/µsec

LF Amp S/N Ratio: >110dB, ref. 60W @ 8_, A-wtg., 1kHz

HF Amplifier: 25 watts, 4_ load

HF Amp Distortion:less than 0.06% thd @ rated power

lf amp slew rate less than 9V/µsec

HF Amp S/N Ratio: >112dB @ rated output

Frequency Range: 38 Hz - 23.5 kHz (-10dB point)

Connectors: Combination XLR-1/4" jack with input level control

Dimensions: (WxHxD) 8.5"x15"x9.75" (381mm x 216mm x 248mm)

Weight: 19.5 lbs. (8.9kg) each

Looking at your Edirol model's power output and dynamic drivers its application is desktop Pc based applications, not nearfield or mid field (home stereo) applications. Its a toy compared to the above system.

The MA-15D stereo reference monitors are ideal for computer-based recording artists seeking a high-quality, powerful set of reference speakers to use in a relatively confined space. The MA-15D’s offer a wide-range spectrum and crystal-clear audio reproduction.
Features

Bass Enhancer
24-bit/192kHz support, S/PDIF optical & coaxial input
Subwoofer output port for bass boost
15 watts per channel
3 independent source inputs: 1/8" line, RCA pin line (L/R), and S/PDIF (optical & coaxial)
Front-controlled bass, treble, and 2 independent volume
100 mm (4") woofer + 50 mm (2") tweeter, 2 way bass-reflex enclosure
1/8" headphones port
Magnetically shielded

Velociraptor84
11-11-2005, 09:07 PM
So to get to the point if it goes 45hz it goes 45hz if it goes to 35kHz it goes that high. I know for sure that my Edirol's go from 45hz low and 35kHz high beleve it or not. I trust Japanese products.

Velociraptor84
11-11-2005, 09:09 PM
Edirol monitors or Roland monitors are NOT enhanced at all thay are made to be flat as possible example as I said my Edirol MA-10D are only -2db. They are flat to me... They are not like +/- 10db LOL.......

morbo!
11-11-2005, 09:28 PM
time to learn a new laungauge and join a japenese AUDIO forum

YOU ARE CLOSE TO BIENG THE FIRST ON MY BAN LIST

your posts arent even funny (and definatlly argumentive and stupid)

morbo!
11-11-2005, 09:30 PM
atleast show some appreacition for the knowledge people have tryed:banghead::banghead: to give to you

I`LL TAKE IT OHAMA is where JERRY SPRINGERS main fan base is

PATHETIC HUMAN I WILL DESTROY YOU!

p.s my avatar is more attractive than yours
not as scarry

Ian Mackenzie
11-11-2005, 09:44 PM
Back to my Statpac DVD..all along the Watch Tower.

Velociraptor84
11-11-2005, 11:20 PM
time to learn a new laungauge and join a japenese AUDIO forum

YOU ARE CLOSE TO BIENG THE FIRST ON MY BAN LIST

your posts arent even funny (and definatlly argumentive and stupid)So are you trying to say that you don't beleve me?? Since if you don't I am very upset that you think I am stupid and no nothing kind of person since everything I am posting is true info. THANK YOU:biting: :banghead:

Zilch
11-11-2005, 11:23 PM
Very clear for price Features: http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/graphics/bugs/rating10.gif10Quality: http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/graphics/bugs/rating10.gif10Value: http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/graphics/bugs/rating10.gif10Overall: http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/graphics/bugs/rating10.gif10http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/nav/clear.gifVanillaice378 from Omaha, NE USA
Experience: I own it
Background: Hobbyist
Style of Music: Alternative rock , Jazz , Pop , Techno Oct 5, 2005 - I am not a professional at all but I know how pro studio monitors sound like and they are very good. I use these monitors just for listening to my music like normal people do. I can say that the MA-10D is very impressive for the price. I am supprised that is goes 45hz to 35Khz on the feq response. I really recommend people who don't have that much money to buy these since for the price they are super and very flat response. These monitors really sound like the person is singing right front of you.

Velociraptor84
11-11-2005, 11:23 PM
Did you guys ever read what I said earlier??? I am not jocking around here this is true infos.

Edirol is from Roland a company from Japan. Edirol means Edit Roland. I know how accurite thay make there speakers is since I actualy been to Japan and seeing how they make speakers and other products. I see how serious they are when they work and they rarely make mistakes on there products since they want there products to be there best. Infos about speakers and other things are been checked often to make sure they are right too. To get to the point just trust me on this I know this for sure.

Zilch
11-11-2005, 11:25 PM
$130 a pair 10W/channel powered personal monitors, rated 6.3 out of 10 overall on internet sites that sell them.

You MIGHT be able to purchase a decent set of headphones for that, instead.

[And be WAY ahead....]

Don McRitchie
11-12-2005, 12:40 AM
Let me try and address the Edirol specs first and then specifications in general. On the Edirol site, the specifications (http://www.edirol.net/products/en/MA-10D/specs.html) only state that the frequency range is 45hz to 35khz. There is no envelope (+-2db) stated with this range, and for very good reason. There is no 3.5" bass driver made that has any kind of reasonable output down to 45hz. Maybe at -30db, but you would never hear it. This is a simple matter of physics. It is just not possible for a driver that small to move the required amount of air necessary for any kind of reasonable bass response. For comparison, look at the specs for JBL's LSR 6328P (http://www.jblpro.com/LSR6300/LSR6328P.htm) desktop monitor. This system costs 20 times as much as your Edirols. It has an 8" bass driver with 18 times area of the bass driver in your Edirols. It also has very wide excursion capabilities which means it can likely move over 50 times the amount of air as the MA-10D's. Yet even with this far more capable bass driver and much larger enclosure for deeper tuning, JBL only claims bass extension down to 50hz within their design envelop of +1/-1.5db.

Looking carefully at the Edirol site, their monitors are clearly marketed as PC accessories. There is not a studio in the world that would give serious consideration for these products as a professional monitor and Edirol makes no attempt to market to that segment. For example, there is no provision for XLR connectors, the pro industry standard for wiring monitors in a studio environment. I'm sure that they are fine for their intended market, a higher end PC speaker for home audio, but there is no way that they would come close to being a reference standard. Professionals are willing to pay $2,000/pr (and in many cases much more) for a desktop monitor because they know that anything less would be a comprimise. I gurantee that your Edirols are not flat within +/-2db even for a restricted range between 100hz and 10khz let alone the stated 45hz-35khz. It takes advanced materials, sophisticated design and complex electronics to gain the accuracy that professionals are looking for and to assert that a $129 pair of plastic speakers with a 10W amp can produce reference level sound is quite frankly laughable. If you want to prove it to yourself, go down to a well stocked musical instrument store. Bring a few of your favourite CD's. Listen to nearfield monitors like the JBL LSR series, Genelecs or Dynaudio (just to name a few) and then come back and tell us that your Edirols are in the same league.

Now, regarding specs in general, they are at best only an indicator of whether a sytem may meet your requirements. There are three main problems - the lack of measurement standards, the inability of any set of specifications to fully describe all aspects of performance, and the impossibility of accounting for room placement. Loudspeaker performance is unique compared to the rest of the audio chain (with the excpeption of microphones), in that it's ultimate performace is as much dependent on the environment in which they are placed as it is to the inherent characteristics of the loudspeaker itself. The sound you hear is a function of the room and the loudspeaker interacting and this is impossible to predict with a universal specification.

Contrast this with the specifications for an amplifier. Whether the amplifier is outdoors, in your room or hidden behind a cabinet, the output of that amplifier will not change. However, take a loudspeaker, place it outside and measure it and you will get one set of readings. Put them in your bed room and you will get a completely different set of readings with the exact same measurement equipment set up in the exact same manner. Move the speakers within your bedroom, even just a matter of inches, and you will get another set of readings. It is not uncommon for these differenes to be as much as +/- 10db at certain frequencies even for a speaker that measures flat +/- 2db in a laboratory envronment. This is all because of reflected sound. Sound reflected off of a barrier (floors, walls, ceilings, desktops etc.) will arrive at your listening position fractions of a second later than the direct sound traveling along the line of sight. The reflected sound will be out of phase with the direct sound causing partial cancellation or reinforcement of different frequencies.

Manufacturers usually try to get around this by specifying response in a laboratory environment containing an anechoic chamber that damps all sonic reflections. However, there is no standard requiring this and not all manufacturers even have an anechoic chamber so they try to simulate this response using computers which is only partially effective. Regardless, there aren't even standards for anechoic measurements. Most will do an response measurement on the direct axis of radiation, but at what distance? Further, speaker response changes as you move off axis, sometimes drastically, and few manufacturers provide this response.

The unspoken dirtly little secret in speaker response is distortion. Whereas most amplifiers have distortion levels measured in hundreths or thousanths of a single percent, it is uncommon to find a loudspeaker that has distortion less than 10 percent, particularly at bass frequencies. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that your Edirols distortion levels are in the 50 to 100 percent levels for bass frequencies at the limit of their response. This is why virtually no manufacturers report comprhensive distortion measurements. Fortunately JBL Pro is one of the very few that does and their distortion measurements are exemplary. Check out the detailed specs for the LSR 6328P here (http://www.jblpro.com/LSR6300/PDF/JBL.LSR6328P.pdf).

In summary, specifications have intrinsic limitations. Even within these limitations, they are only as good as the manufacturer's capability to measure them, and few have state-of-the-art laboratories. JBL has the world's most advanced loudspeaker research facility in the private sector - bar none. Most manufacturers rely on much less sophisticated facilities. Finallly, the accuracy of the specifications is dependent on the objectivity of the marketing departments that publish them. For most manufacturers, marketing and objectivity are mutually exclusive.

The only way to determine whether a set of speakers sounds best in your environment is to try them in your environment. Through research, you may be able to assess which published specifications you can trust and use this as a guide to narrow your choices. Ultimately, you're just going to have to listen to your prospective choices (preferably in your home) and decide for yourself.

morbo!
11-12-2005, 02:21 AM
Wow don
THATS why i luv this place
(2 SOME IT )(UP SPECS ARE FOR SUCKERS)4 THOSE OF US WITH A IQ OF UNDER 134
az for u vel
your intitled to your opinion as i am
but read my 1st threads and then read my appoligy for my views on subs
ive only been here for a month
and learnt a great deal
but only because i wanted to
we cant change what you like only try and inform

p.s I`VE HAD A REALLY BAD DAY AND ANYONE WHO WANTS TO ARGUE WITH FACTS CAN GO GET COMPLETELY

morbo!
11-12-2005, 02:37 AM
AND I FEEL LIKE CHOKING THE LIFE OUT OF A PERSON!!!! WHO CANT DEAL WITH FACTS!!!!!

NOTHING TO DO WITH THE NET REAL LIFE NOW!!!!!!!

AND MORBO`S VERMIN OF THE WEEK GOES TO

morbo!
11-12-2005, 02:41 AM
FACTS
FACTS CAN BE USED TO PROVE ANYTHING THATS EVEN REMOTLEY TRUE:homer::homer:!

2pair
11-12-2005, 04:24 AM
I was almost embarassed to tell you die-hards I use 4408's on my computer... and this guy says these :

http://media.zzounds.com/media/brand,zzounds/ma10D-21c31661f4cb7a6f4dc94dd4438607f0.jpg

...sound good?!

:rotfl:

Nice shade of blue though...

..And Don, I cant believe you took the time to post on this one. :applaud:

Rolf
11-12-2005, 04:40 AM
Hi guys.

I have been reading this thread since the start. HEY!! give this new guy a break! Maybe he is really trying to learn something! I remember all the questions I had in my time, and then it was no website or forum to ask. I guess my dealer wanted to hide when I entered his store. But I learned.

I do not know, maybe I am stupid, but most of the time I trust people. So raptor, if you are reading this I hope you are seious with your questions. Read Don's post, that should answer most of your questions. Also read the other exellent answers from other members. Learn and think and you will get a good life in the Hi-Fi world.

I finish with the words I used as a finishing line before:

"Be nice, and people will be nice to you."

Rolf

2pair
11-12-2005, 05:03 AM
...You're right Rolf. I do apologize for my post, but I did find it amusing... :o:

pelly3s
11-12-2005, 06:20 AM
http://www.reed-electronics.com/tmworld/article/CA475937?text=sound+science there is a section in that article that explains about how specs matter. im too hung over to explain it myself

oh and Don lovely post :applaud:

Lancer
11-12-2005, 06:22 AM
And Don, I cant believe you took the time to post on this one. That was my very first thought too.

duaneage
11-12-2005, 06:39 AM
The tweeters on those Editrol speakers are made by Audax, a cheap 3/4 inch polypropylene dome rated at 30 watts. Radio Shack sold them for 8.95 years ago. you can buy them in bulk today for 3.00 each.

Enough said. I will take a pair of Yamaha NS-10s if I need a decent near field japanese monitor that is actually used as a near field monitor. And many pros hate the way they sound too.

Velociraptor84
11-12-2005, 09:25 AM
When I went to Japan I asked the Edirol company that makes them and they said that all of the Edirol monitors are -2db that's how I know that they are -2db. They did say that the Edirol's were nearfield monitors and studio reference monitors too.

Velociraptor84
11-12-2005, 09:27 AM
The tweeters on those Editrol speakers are made by Audax, a cheap 3/4 inch polypropylene dome rated at 30 watts. Radio Shack sold them for 8.95 years ago. you can buy them in bulk today for 3.00 each.

Enough said. I will take a pair of Yamaha NS-10s if I need a decent near field japanese monitor that is actually used as a near field monitor. And many pros hate the way they sound too.Actualy the monitors I have use Polycarbonated dome tweeters and they are 2 inch not 3/4 inch. The MA-15D uses silk dome tweeters that are 2 inch.

Don McRitchie
11-12-2005, 10:14 AM
..And Don, I cant believe you took the time to post on this one.

I thought that the subject was important enough to post on since there are more and more audio novices coming here. Understanding the meaning of specifications (or more importantly, the limitations of specifications) is critical in gaining a fuller understanding of loudspeaker performance and making personal judgements.

To Velociraptor84, you have now been given numerous factual references on the meaning of specifications and their application to your beloved Edirols. To date, your response has been nothing but a variation on "But Roland says so!" This is the intellectual equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting "LALALALALALALA I C'ANT HEAR YOU!" If you want to address the factual points raised above in a rational manner, we can continue and maybe we'll both learn something. Otherwise, this thread is nothing more than a circular arguement going nowhere and I will close it down to prevent it becoming more damaging than it already is.

Mr. Widget
11-12-2005, 11:50 AM
Actualy the monitors I have use Polycarbonated dome tweeters and they are 2 inch not 3/4 inch.FWIW: duaneage was correct in his identification of those tweeter's lineage, but he did get the material wrong. They are polycarbonate. They are considered 3/4" tweeters as that is the size of the cone with a 10mm dome in the center. The plastic flange is 2" on this version I suppose, but they are available with several flange sizes and shapes. They are widely used in many low cost speakers and sound OK. I have a few in a box somewhere and have used them on several occasions when putting together budget systems for friends.

At the price point of these Editrol speakers I wouldn't be surprised if these aren't clones being made in China. Perhaps Audax has a factory making them there now, if not there are several Chinese speaker makers that are copying many of the more popular drivers.

Mr. Raptor, as Don has said, this and several of your other threads are quite circular... you ask for opinions and have been given a wealth of information. You should consider what has been said in the context of your practical experience with these speakers. Why not accept the fact that you seem quite enamored with these speakers even though they might not be the solution for everyone. Don't defend them with partial specifications. If you feel you need to defend them then simply say they sound good to me and be done with it. I am sure they will not be the last speakers you own.

Widget

Zilch
11-12-2005, 12:22 PM
I was almost embarassed to tell you die-hards I use 4408's on my computer....Embarassed? HELL no!

Those be mightily nice studio monitors you're usin' there.

Yup, yup.... :thmbsup:

Raptor: Get serious. Move up to the real deal for $150 (or less, maybe):

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-STUDIO-MONITORS-4406_W0QQitemZ5829839568QQcategoryZ61381QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

We'll help you fix 'em domes and new grilles....

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Studio%20Monitor%20Series/4406.pdf

Alex Lancaster
11-12-2005, 06:07 PM
Well, finally Don McRitchie came out, We can twist specs, stats and probabilities any way, but mainline JBL´s, not the cheap stuff, come out pretty honest; To our admired forum founder and the ones in the inner circle: Could We keep aggressive ignorance, horrible grammar and controlled substances out of this Forum?

duaneage
11-12-2005, 08:52 PM
Polycarbonate or polypropylene

Circuit City junk one and all.

Rolf
11-12-2005, 11:45 PM
Could We keep aggressive ignorance, horrible grammar and controlled substances out of this Forum?

I agree to that. http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/applaud.gif http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/puke.gif

Rolf

Zilch
11-13-2005, 12:26 AM
SO, how long'm I gonna be banned? :(

morbo!
11-13-2005, 12:34 AM
about 1/10 the legth of morbo`s banning
an i think jbl are on their way to repo their speakershttp://www.gosmiley.com/frowning/tiddlow-purple.gif

Maron Horonzakz
11-13-2005, 08:19 AM
MARBO...No need to get in a snit. I think Don handled it diplomaticly.;)

duaneage
11-13-2005, 02:38 PM
Embarassed? HELL no!

Those be mightily nice studio monitors you're usin' there.

Yup, yup.... :thmbsup:

Raptor: Get serious. Move up to the real deal for $150 (or less, maybe):

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-STUDIO-MONITORS-4406_W0QQitemZ5829839568QQcategoryZ61381QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

We'll help you fix 'em domes and new grilles....

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Studio%20Monitor%20Series/4406.pdf

I made a great pair of nearfields using a 035Ti and C1008 woofers from the Control1 series. They are a little brighter in the midrange and treble, however for what they are used for they work quite well.
i use them to review vinyl recordings that I convert to wav files and the brighter mid-hi response makes noise clicks stand out better.

I would redo them if I found a pair of 115 woofers, just to keep it real.

morbo!
11-13-2005, 02:48 PM
MARBO...No need to get in a snit. I think Don handled it diplomaticly.;)

:rotfl: lololol

a free spirited aussie is a wonderfull thing

dont take morbo seriously!!!!

Ian Mackenzie
11-13-2005, 02:52 PM
Raptor , I'll bet the frames of your speakersare stamped/pressed alloy in HK, not cast like JBL.

I little research will show you that stamped/pressed drivers cannot be the way you might think that sound. Game over.

Velociraptor84
11-13-2005, 06:14 PM
FWIW: duaneage was correct in his identification of those tweeter's lineage, but he did get the material wrong. They are polycarbonate. They are considered 3/4" tweeters as that is the size of the cone with a 10mm dome in the center. The plastic flange is 2" on this version I suppose, but they are available with several flange sizes and shapes. They are widely used in many low cost speakers and sound OK. I have a few in a box somewhere and have used them on several occasions when putting together budget systems for friends.

At the price point of these Editrol speakers I wouldn't be surprised if these aren't clones being made in China. Perhaps Audax has a factory making them there now, if not there are several Chinese speaker makers that are copying many of the more popular drivers.

Mr. Raptor, as Don has said, this and several of your other threads are quite circular... you ask for opinions and have been given a wealth of information. You should consider what has been said in the context of your practical experience with these speakers. Why not accept the fact that you seem quite enamored with these speakers even though they might not be the solution for everyone. Don't defend them with partial specifications. If you feel you need to defend them then simply say they sound good to me and be done with it. I am sure they will not be the last speakers you own.

WidgetActualy I measured the tweeters and they are about 1 inch thay are not 3/4" since if it was 3/4" that means it's smaller than 1in but it's actualy 1 inch.

Charlie4350
11-13-2005, 07:20 PM
Actualy I measured the tweeters and they are about 1 inch thay are not 3/4" since if it was 3/4" that means it's smaller than 1in but it's actualy 1 inch.

Ya, that's what she said.

morbo!
11-14-2005, 01:23 AM
go metric guys that screwy system is akin to chopsticks
u seen somthing better but refuse to use it

Titanium Dome
11-14-2005, 01:51 AM
Ya, that's what she said.

go metric guys that screwy system is akin to chopsticks
(snip)

I heard some guys have to use tweezers. :confused: What are we talking about?

pelly3s
11-14-2005, 07:38 AM
The longer this thread goes on the more of an alcoholic i am going to become. :cheers:

morbo!
11-14-2005, 08:59 AM
The longer this thread goes on the more of an alcoholic i am going to become. :cheers:
WELCOME TO MY WORLD
:cheers: (misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=6#):cheers: (misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=6#):cheers: (misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=6#):drive: (misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=6#)

BooBoo Magoo
11-14-2005, 09:56 AM
No.