PDA

View Full Version : Paris at 140MPH

Don McRitchie
11-10-2005, 08:40 PM
On an August morning in 1976, French filmmaker Claude Lelouch mounted a gyro-stabilized camera to the bumper of a Ferrari 275 GTB and had a friend, a professional Formula 1 racer, drive at breakneck speed through the heart of Paris. The film was limited for technical reasons to 10 minutes; the course was from Porte Dauphine, through the Louvre, to the Basilica of Sacre Coeur. No streets were closed, for Lelouch was unable to obtain a permit. The driver completed the course in about 9 minutes, reaching nearly 140 MPH in some stretches. The footage reveals him running real red lights, nearly hitting real pedestrians, and driving the wrong way up real one-way streets.

Right click the link below and choose "Save Target As" to download and save. Be forewarned, it is a large 34MB download. You will need Quicktime to view this.

http://www.bsdunix.ch.nyud.net:8090/public/rendezvous20_04.mov

sfellini
11-10-2005, 09:18 PM
Thanks Don for posting this. I've seen this
clip many times, but this is the first time
I could download it.

The 275 GTB/4 was the car of my high school
deams. Come to think of it, it still is.

[edit: initially had problems with the
download - see below for solution for Mac
users]

Don McRitchie
11-10-2005, 09:26 PM
Some more background:

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2005/Rendezvous.shtml

Don McRitchie
11-10-2005, 09:35 PM
[ edit: looks like you can't download it afterall ].

I just checked the link again and it works. To be clear, you should not click this link with your left mouse button. Instead, click the link with your right mouse button and then choose "Save Target As" from the pop up menu. This will allow you to download and save the movie to your hard drive.

sfellini
11-10-2005, 09:42 PM
Ok, the problem seems to be which browser you are using
on a Mac OSX. Safari & Firefox don't download the movie properly,
but I'm well into a download now using IE.

Once again MS has contributed to partitioning the web. Thanks so
much.

The download has now completed and I've got it all. OH JOY.

Steve.

Don McRitchie
11-10-2005, 09:57 PM
I've done both - viewed the movie in my browser and downloaded it to my hard drive. Again, if you just click on the link normally using your left mouse button, the file will attempt to play in your browser. You will not have the option of saving it. If you have a slow connection, the movie will start, but then stop as the data stream cannot keep up with your player. This sounds like what you are experiencing.

If you move your mouse pointer over the link and then click the right mouse button, you will get a pop up menu which contains "Save Target As" as one of the choices. If you then left click this choice, a dialog box will open asking you where on your hard drive you want to download the file. After you pick a directory, a status bar will display showing the progress of your download. When the download is complete, another popup will display confirming that the download is finished and asking if you want to open the file. It should then play uninterrupted.

From my location, I can get an excellent connection. The download speed averaged 600kB per second and took just under one minute. I've since played it back three times and can confirm that it is complete.

Ian Mackenzie
11-10-2005, 10:26 PM
Yes if this the one I am thinking of this is one fast bit of footage!

ian

morbo!
11-10-2005, 11:40 PM
Thats the craziest thing i ever seen
And ive rode on a bonnet behind a car (entertainment when i was a kid not much to do in the bush gotta invent things)
and done speeds approching that!
on a motorcycle and a car
but never in a city or anywhere that wasn`t totally flat with a good view of whats comming !

p.s in the country u can go as fast as u want
play as loud as u want and only the cows can here u
i luv this land i call aus

Don McRitchie
11-11-2005, 12:03 AM
In 1998, I drove across the entire state of Montana from west to east on I90/I94:

Total Distance = 702 miles
Total Time to Cross = 6.5 hours
Average Speed =108 mph
Total Travel Time (minus 3 pit stops) = 6 hours
Average Running Speed = 117 mph
Highest Indicated Speed (digital speedometer) = 152 mph (maxed out for around 10 miles at which point my courage ran out)

It was the most stressful drive I have ever done (and absolutely the most fun). Still it was nothing compared to doing these same speeds through the streets of Paris.

morbo!
11-11-2005, 12:43 AM
wTf were u drivin?
152mph is fast
244 kph the only things i ever owned that could do that was my gsx 750(worked and worked again)
and a 351(x-cop car)ford falcon (also really worked)
p.s i aslo loose my nerve about 240kph the physics of stopping a motor cycle flyes out the window over 200

Don McRitchie
11-11-2005, 01:15 AM
wTf were u drivin?

87 Corvette

John
11-11-2005, 02:58 AM
So now it makes perfect sense? That is why Montana put the speed limit back in place.:p

By the way I had a long nose Pete back then and I had no problem running around 90MPH. between Glendive and Billings:drive:

Had to tame it down a bit heading south towards West Yellowstone, as it gets a little twisty:scold:

Hofmannhp
11-11-2005, 03:30 AM
....... The footage reveals him running real red lights, nearly hitting real pedestrians, and driving the wrong way up real one-way streets.....

Hi all,

that's the way I drive to work every morning.....:D

Don's drive on "Montanabahn" was a real gig.....:applaud:
( is it right that they now have restrictions again in Montana?)

My personal records on medium distances here are:

Montreux (Swiss) to Bad Homburg (Germany)
615 km (383mls) in 3h and 15min. One stop for gas.
thats about 189km/h average (117mls/h) and ignoring the speedlimits in Switzerland of 120km/h and Germany (partly 120-130km/h). Top speeds to the limiter of my car at 250km/h.

Florence (Italy) to Bad Homburg
1080 km (672mls) in 7h . 2 stops for gas, one in cause of an accident of a truck before a tunnel.
thats about 154,3km/h or 96,1mls/h.

I like it :bouncy:

HP

Wardsweb
11-11-2005, 03:36 AM
A most excellent film. A friend of mine has this on DVD. On his home theater system, this gets the heart pumping. It is totally wicked and for anyone who has ever driven on the edge, you just "get it". For those that haven't, you never will.

morbo!
11-11-2005, 03:43 AM
looks like nice homburg from space
nice and green with lots of fields?

Hofmannhp
11-11-2005, 03:48 AM
looks like nice homburg from space
nice and green with lots of fields?

Hi Morbo,

yes it is.......where have you seen it as a good sat pic?

HP

morbo!
11-11-2005, 04:00 AM
just then using world wind

the link is in the post where are you generally located

p.s rental cars are more fun to smash than your own

u just loose the 100$ deposit lololol

John
11-11-2005, 12:04 PM
How about we start a thread and post some actual pictures of our road machines??? Not dream machines but our speed buggies that we actually own currently or in the past? Even if the Wife said Sell it I am sure we have some pictures we have hung on to.http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif And If there is JBL inside these babies that is even better.http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/applaud.gif

Hey Don Please tell me you banished the bose out of the 87;)

mikebake
11-11-2005, 02:16 PM
So THATS what happened to Princess Dianna.............................

morbo!
11-11-2005, 02:31 PM
I am sure we have some pictures we have hung on to.http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

I wish I had some reminders of better days!
but have never been a photo type of guy
a couple of old amps and an antique table was the only things i never lost,sold, smashed,blew up or got stolen

B.H.P closing was a bad thing in my town
i even lost the photo`s we were allowed to take on the last day of operations of the coke ovens
they were absolutly awsome and one of a kind

p.s i have owned 1980 1983 es and 1984 esd suzuki`s gsx 750`s the esd was the quickest(worked ) but i used to pick on harleys on the 1980 model springs on the back and the front wheel hardly ever touched the ground atleast pulling away from lights(dont know what was done to that thing)
the 83 was a bit of a slug compared to the other two

Ian Mackenzie
11-11-2005, 04:09 PM
The drive up from Sydney on the Pacific Hwy has some nice wide straight runs....but too many speed cameras.

I think my most memorable encounter with speed was seeing Stirling Moss drive a big V12 racing Mercedes at a vintage meeting at Sandown in the 80's.

Magical gear changes and effortless wheel spins at 150 MPH!

If I can find a picture I will post it.

I also have some great shots of Bathurst 1000 up on skyline.

morbo!
11-11-2005, 04:21 PM
yeah i got booked speeding(low flying i think was the technical term used) heading toward goulburn in my lj torry (u know the prison)
and police academy
20 cop cars line the main street on friday and saturday nights
all tryin to make their 1st bust :rotfl: (http://misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=6#) Funny shit
unless 15 of`em are chasing you
you gotta know when to stop

geowal3
11-11-2005, 09:46 PM
For those interested in Montana's "fall from grace" of a reasonable and proper speed limit - here's my take:

When the Feds mandated the 55mph limit in the 70's, the state speed limit was "reasonable and proper". It reflected the CHARACTER of the residents who were adults, capable of independent judgement.

Over two decades later when the Feds removed their stricture, ALL states returned to their original law of the 70's - in Montana that meant "reasonable and proper" once again.

However, In Montana the character of the people had changed profoundly, largely due to significant numbers of "immigrants" who wanted to be cared for and told how to act at every turn. The local expression (so help me!), is the state became "Californicated".

Unable to tolerate independent judgement, the State Police ran a speeding ticket case up to the state supreme court in (I think this is the date) December 1998 - just weeks before the legislature - which only convenes for about a month every TWO years, was scheduled to convene, and voila!, the court ruled the speed limit "unconstitutional" (huh!?!?!). So in January 1999, the legislature docilely passed a state speed limit.

In a microcosm, this is what has happened to all aspects of Montana in the space of one generation. It has passed from the now mythic image of rugged individualism and responsible liberty into complete state paternalism, enviro-freak industry destroying protectionism, government meddling, and obscene taxation. I do not know this to be a fact, but have read that Montana has the fourth highest ratio of state employees to residents of all states.

"Abandon hope all ye who enter here".

Live and learn. I've learned, and I'm leaving as soon as I can!

John
11-11-2005, 10:03 PM
Well at least there is still no state sales tax !!!:applaud:

geowal3
11-11-2005, 10:09 PM
The property and income taxes are absolutley obscene!

morbo!
11-11-2005, 10:11 PM
geo
its happened everywhere
i used to play with guns when i was a kid (never killed anyone)but many furry things
now the goverment has disarmed the general public
i had charges for hunting rifles
303 with a stainless barrell and a hand carved butt
and apparenty the police destroyed it!yeah right its in someones collection
criminals walk around with hand guns
the avarage aussie is now dissarmed
now that sux
but the world is changing!
p.s the 303 was my grandfathers gun

p.p.s 1 shot 1 kill
and profreshnal shooters have the best scales
p.p.p.s general wepon of choice 222 or a 243

gerard
11-13-2005, 04:35 PM
I was not able to open the movie even following your instructions .

Anyway I do remember this movie and watch it when I was in Paris something like in 76-77 .

As far as I remember what I can tell you it is absolutely impossible to go by the louvre to the rue de rivoli if you go on the red light because you can't see what is coming ( I use to leave 50 meters from here 18 years ago !!!) .

I believe and always belive that tehre was some fellows ready to advise or stop some drivers to avois an accident ... I also do not believe that Claude lelouch would have play with the others people live .

Claude lelouch made a film ( i do not remeber the title ) where an aviator who wanted to go underneath the 'arc de triomphe ' and did not get the autorisation , finally he has some problem to make it bacause the french flag iwas open under the Arc , the day he wanted to make it ( as far as i remember ) .

Gerard

morbo!
11-13-2005, 04:47 PM
maybe its banned in france
dont want to encourage others

Ducatista47
11-18-2005, 12:44 AM
When the Feds mandated the 55mph limit in the 70's, the state speed limit was "reasonable and proper". It reflected the CHARACTER of the residents who were adults, capable of independent judgement.

On a National Park hopping month long trip in 1981, a Honda CX500 carrying myself and my backpacking gear crossed Northern Montana at 70mph on a two lane (Route 2?). At dusk a state trooper pulled me over near Glacier NP. He said if I had been going 68 instead he wouldn't have bothered. I braced myself to go from poor to broke; he gave me a five dollar ticket for "wasting natural resources," not a moving or traffic violation by the way. He explained how the fine used to be one dollar, but the Feds threatened to yank the Federal Highway Funds. So, all the way up to a fiver.
That night I passed through Cut Bank on a Saturday - you locals know what that meant - and camped on the continental divide by the side of the road when my low beam burned out.

Clark in Peoria

John
11-18-2005, 11:27 AM
I am not a local but I did pass thru Cut Bank MT. on a saturday, around midnight a few years back and it looked like a wild west town.:die: ;)

Audiobeer
11-18-2005, 12:52 PM
What's the name of the DVD to purchase?

morbo!
11-18-2005, 02:11 PM
dload the link at the start of the thread

Ducatista47
11-18-2005, 11:25 PM
I am not a local but I did pass thru Cut Bank MT. on a saturday, around midnight a few years back and it looked like a wild west town.:die: ;)

Indeed! Cut Bank lies on the eastern edge of the Blackfeet Indian Reservation, as it was called. On Saturday night, cars and pickups would come from all around and converge on the town. The resulting scene gave credence to the alleged genetic inability of many Native Americans to hold their liquor.
It was a very poor and desolate area; the native lands in the Dakotas and Montana were whatever the Whites didn't want. Forty acres or more to sustain one cow/calf pair, and agriculturally challenged in the extreme. Poverty, boredom, hopelessness and alcoholism made for one hell of a party and one hell of a scene. Passing through solo on a motorcycle on a hot summer night was pretty special.

morbo!
11-18-2005, 11:35 PM
THAT REALLY SOUNDS LIKE MORBO`S KIND OF PLACE!

Ducatista47
11-18-2005, 11:40 PM
Hey, Morbo, is Bendigo still anything like a rough and tumble gold rush town, or is it just for tourists now?

morbo!
11-19-2005, 12:30 AM
That would be a better question for ian as i have never been to bendigo but have been to many small towns in new south wales and and queensland
and know what your saying but out here a few farm hands bring their horses into town looking for a drink ,fight and a f in that order!
still the same as 100 years ago

moree is not morbo`s kind of town
it`s ran by black`s who dislike white`s(prolly with good reason)i didnt know:dont-know
the cop`s wont venture accross the border (where i lived not knowing better)(a place called top camp)
morbo will only go back their with side arms!

i have aboriginal ,cambodian,and even an american friend(s) in my town

but tensions have been building in outback australia (morree) for 30 years and thats the closest thing to a wild west in aus that im aware of

about 15 years ago the aboriginals rioted and the police locked them selves in their cells for protection(the cops deserved it)from what i understand
I manedged to make a two black friends their who filled me in on local history going back 150 years to a masacre the whites did
when your oppision has sticks and u have guns thats just not right and throughly brittish
(still bad land according the blacks) haunted by spirits (morbo respected this)(and would not step foot on that land as their custom)
but i still wasn`t safe there in anyway (not even if i was with my darker friends)

p.s morbo is not a racist he dislikes all humans equally

warrilada is the name of the place where the slaughter of the blacks took place!(sacred ground)

the coast is for tourists but i met a german girl in moree,and a few others but i dont quite think they new what was going on

2 people were bashed sensless in the middle of the night and told to get out of town over the smallest incodent!
1 person was put into a coma after a more serious incodent(no instructions left)
this would happen without a noise!

but i prolly would of done the same!(for the one i listed as more serious)

and they were just in my small clan of friends and people i was camping with

3 months and i was outta their(coulda been running more land than u could imagine across two states from n.s.w to q.l.d) but what a crap whole

no real law in moree but if u screw up you will know about it(or maybe not for long)
p.p.s i hope thats not a mic on the table in your avatar!

thats it i think im finished
for those of u who cant tell im over the flu and back in usuall form :cheers:

Ducatista47
11-19-2005, 09:50 AM
Thanks, Morbo!

A great description of your "environment." I have a feeling that present day Aus is wilder and woolier than the real US Old West ever was.
I have read (The Fatal Shore) about the early history of whites in Aus & NZ. It seems the wonderfully brash, honest and plain spoken manner there may be because most of the convicts were Irish, not English. Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales (not to mention IOM) all have great cultures, but boy are they different from each other.
The aboriginal culture is, I think, the oldest on earth, possibly 50000 years. Europe was grunting in caves at that time, pretty much.
In any case, Australia is probably the most interesting place on the planet.:)

My avatar, chosen with reverence, is a Cashbox cover from 1952. Left to right, the great DJ Al Benson, the great Little Walter, the great Leonard Chess. If anyone wants to know more, ask me or read Spinning Blues Into Gold (The Chess Brothers and the Legendary Chess Records) by Nadine Cohodas. If it weren't for Leonard and Phil Chess, we would still be listening to Perry Como and Andy Williams. We wouldn't know who Elizabeth Cotton and Maybelle Carter were and what they did for us if the Chess Brothers hadn't given us the Chicago Blues, reviving our interest in such matters.:bouncy:
That's right, lead guitar was invented and developed by two women.

http://home.comcast.net/%7Echerhoyt/CashBox_40pc.jpg

Clark in Peoria

Ducatista47
11-19-2005, 12:37 PM
The driver completed the course in about 9 minutes, reaching nearly 140 MPH in some stretches. The footage reveals him running real red lights, nearly hitting real pedestrians, and driving the wrong way up real one-way streets.

Thank you for this, Mr. McRitchie, and sorry to almost hijack your thread ( I always seem to drift back to music and culture - typical baby boomer yank). Perhaps Morbo and I should have started another thread, off topic of off topic as we are.

Another clip possibly as astounding is out there, but not for download as far as I know. The double DVD The Road Racers / V For Victory is highly recommended (White Star DMD1033). The Road Racers is a very touching film about the scene in Ireland. V For Victory is much fun. The highlight is a 16mm on bike practice lap on the Isle of Man "mountain course" with Joey Dunlop, the greatest road racer ever. Thirty-eight miles in twenty minutes, narrow roads, stone walls, towns and villages, dark wet stretches and all. I consider him greater than Fangio or Jimmy Clark on public courses. Of course this is all on two wheeled Hondas in Joey's case. Recognizing his level of talent, Honda gave him a bikes for life promise and made good on it.

Probably preaching to the choir here, but don't miss the book The Technique of Motor Racing by Piero Tarruffi, 1960. I have an old hardback of it, but it has been republished. It is the basic text of driving a car fast on a road or racecourse. Forget the others. All the other authors read this one.

Clark in Peoria

Hofmannhp
11-19-2005, 06:20 PM
................possibly 50000 years. Europe was grunting in caves at that time, pretty much.
Clark in Peoria

Yes Clark....you're right.
We still live in caves......my actual favorit cave is called "garage" and filled with some fine JBL speakers. Thats the real progress in the evolution of mankind here. :D

HP

Infredible
11-20-2005, 02:33 PM
As a Parisian guy I can tell you that video is a hoax. The Ferarri sound was added in postprod, and if you look/listen closely that guy wasn't driving that fast. I can do it faster minus the red lights. I don't have the resources but that clip is all over the the net with a lot of controversy among Ferarri lovers. Cheers.

Fred.

Ducatista47
11-20-2005, 03:38 PM
Yes Clark....you're right.
We still live in caves......my actual favorit cave is called "garage" and filled with some fine JBL speakers. Thats the real progress in the evolution of mankind here. :D

Right you are. My play/media/sleeping room is very bunker-like. I also spent years living in basements and attics, and I consider them more conducive to JBL use and experimentation than a normal living room, by far. I wish our species had not developed weapons of mass destruction, war, torture, cruelty or eating animal flesh, but the rest of culture and technology is damn cool.

Please, no insult intended to European/White culture. I'm of German-Scotts-English ancestry, and am very proud of John Locke's democratic ideas, my ancestor James Watt's developments, and a lot more. I am very happy a fellow from my home state of Illinois was allowed by life to have some nice ideas. His initials are JBL.

BTW My German people came from Schleswig-Holstein.

Clark in Peoria

morbo!
11-20-2005, 03:47 PM
hi clark

yeah im mostly irish (good guess)
with a bit of spanish in the and english in the mix

yeah i do dislike myself and keep stealing my own gold to further my efforts of oppressing myself.

the irish in me luvs explosions (used to set off explosions for a living) on the coke ovens
fun fun fun especally when your getting complaints from 5 miles away!
or make 20 new guys shit before one stays:D

Hofmannhp
11-20-2005, 04:21 PM
...... I wish our species had not developed weapons of mass destruction, war, torture, cruelty or eating animal flesh, but the rest of culture and technology is damn cool.

that's what I mean....
[QUOTE=Ducatista47]
Please, no insult intended to European/White culture. Clark in Peoria

:) no problem.....it's only for our humor

HP

bbrown
11-26-2005, 08:37 AM
I showed my son the video, and he already had it on his PC. For a better film, get "Climb Dance" a film about the Pike's Peak Hill Climb. It is close to 70 meg, but well worth the image quality. This is a synopsis from one web site:

This award winning short film documents Ari Vatanen's record-breaking run at the 1988 annual Pike's Peak Hill Climb Event in Colorado. The film was created by Jean Louis Mourey and captures Vatanen climbing Pike's Peak in a four wheel drive, four wheel steer Peugeot 405 T16. Watch the world famous rally legend rip through hairpins and glide past sheer cliffs at 14,000 foot elevation from cameras inside, in front, underneath and above the car. This is by far some of the most spectacular and nerve bending race car footage ever recorded. The film has since become one of the most watched and talked about car films ever, right up there with the French cult classic "Rendezvous".

And a link to download links. This really is heart thumpin'!

Bruce

http://www.geocities.com/nosro/climbdance/

dancing-dave
11-26-2005, 01:40 PM
Just got the DVD in last week. A lot of cash ($30) for 10 minutes of footage. Worth it?................................yes :)

morbo!
12-03-2005, 05:50 AM
Thanks
for the climb dance link
i seen that years ago on tele but never knew the name of it

great thanks again

:applaud: dloadin now

if that dont get your heart started you lack testosterone!:D