PDA

View Full Version : L100 Century vs 4311wxa

bigstereo
11-09-2005, 04:14 PM
Hi all, I need help in choosing which pair of these I should get. Is there much of a difference between the two models? What I mean is, the parts are all shared between both. Is that not correct?

mbottz
11-09-2005, 05:56 PM
I have owned many pairs of each and had the opportunity to A-B compare each one to the other. If you were to be blindfolded, and asked which one was which, I would bet you a beer that you could not tell the difference. Both speakers IMO are a bit beamy and require the correct placement to achieve the best sound. I have found a few inches difference in placement will make a big difference. I dont think you can go wrong with either one.

MB

Lancer
11-09-2005, 05:59 PM
I prefer the 4311B myself. :p

bigstereo
11-09-2005, 06:15 PM
Well, I have an announcement to make. as of about 5 minutes ago I now own a pair of 4311's off of epay.:applaud:

boputnam
11-09-2005, 07:39 PM
Cool. Good looking pair, actually. Welcome to the 43xx-series!!

Your quest shall not end here, pilgrim... :no:

Mind you, JBL stood them on their cute little heads, to align the MF/HF closer to the engineers stereo ear cups. You might want to turn 'em over, put 'em on stands and keep those same elements aligned with your stereo ear cups. Hmm-mmm-good!

bigstereo
11-09-2005, 07:49 PM
Thanks. I'll give that a try. I'm sure I'll have to play with them a little to get it right. They'll be in a small room. 13 x 13. Can't wait to get moved back out to the country and let this system flex it's muscles a bit.

bbrown
11-11-2005, 07:15 PM
I have mine upside down too. I was making some new foilcals to put on them so the text would be right side up, but haven't gotten them done yet.

When I got them (new), they resided on shelves so the drivers were in the right place. They aren't floorstanders, but that's where they have been for a number of years now. I still like them.

I may get hammered for this, but my son gave me a pair of Klipsch Heresy IIs a while back. They are more efficient, lack a bit of the bass, but still sound close to the same to me. That does depend on the source material though. Now I tend to use a small sub with the Heresys and they are very balanced.

I guess, like a first date, the JBLs will always be my favorites.

Bruce

bigstereo
11-12-2005, 05:58 AM
My 4311's will be delivered on Monday according to the UPS tracker. They have already arrived at the terminal. But being that today is Saturday they will sit there for two days now. I hope they are safe and far away from forklift traffic.
I'm going to try them right side up, on two small tables that I have. The table tops are 24 1/2" high. Does that sound like it might be a good height for these speakers?
RJ

spkrman57
11-12-2005, 07:00 AM
The table tops are 24 1/2" high. Does that sound like it might be a good height for these speakers?
RJ

Depends on your chair/couch height also.

I used my 4311's with them being 36" off the ground and found them to be more invisible(audible location wise) then when I had them lower to the ground.

Just my experience though!

Ron

bigstereo
11-12-2005, 08:10 AM
Does anyone know specs of these? Specifically input power rating

Lancer
11-12-2005, 08:18 AM
They should be in the Library.

bbrown
11-12-2005, 09:05 AM
75 watts continuous
45-15K +/- 3db

91db 1W/1M

Mr. Widget
11-12-2005, 01:23 PM
Thanks. I'll give that a try. I'm sure I'll have to play with them a little to get it right. They'll be in a small room. 13 x 13. Can't wait to get moved back out to the country and let this system flex it's muscles a bit.I have on occasion set up my pair of L100s in a small room powered by a Marantz 2270 and was quite surprised by how good they sounded. In my fairly large living room I was never pleased with them.

I expect you will enjoy them. As has been mentioned do try to get the tweeter and mid near ear height if possible.

Widget