PDA

View Full Version : Which is best?

Velociraptor84
11-08-2005, 10:44 AM
Which speakers is best for just music listening? JBL S26 or the JBL HLS410 or the JBL Control 1X or the Edirol MA-10D studio monitors.

Heres the links to each of the speakers.

Edirol MA-10D
http://www.edirol.net/products/en/MA-10D/index.html
JBL S26
http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=S26&CheckProduct=Y
JBL HLS410
http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=HLS410&CheckProduct=Y
JBL Control 1X
http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=CONTROL1XTREME&cat=COS&ser=COS

Velociraptor84
11-08-2005, 10:48 AM
I like speakers that sound like pro studio monitors meaning very flat response and precise sounds. I did notice that my Edirol MA-10D says its a pro studio monitor but do you guys think that's the best monitor out of the 4 speakers I talked about.

louped garouv
11-08-2005, 11:15 AM
the only real way to know for sure would be to go and check them out with some of your favorite tunes for demo purposes....

good luck!

Mr. Widget
11-08-2005, 11:17 AM
Which speakers is best for just music listening? JBL S26 or the JBL HLS410 or the JBL Control 1X or the Edirol MA-10D studio monitors.

I like speakers that sound like pro studio monitors meaning very flat response and precise sounds.I have never heard any of those speakers so I can't comment. Ignore the hype... if they call it a Studio Monitor or a Baby Monitor, it just doesn't matter. Trust your ears. Listen carefully to very expensive speakers that you like and then find the affordable ones that share the most of their qualities. Ultimately you only need to please yourself, so you can't be wrong if you like it.

OK, you could be wrong if you picked a Bose speaker...:rotfl:

Widget

Velociraptor84
11-08-2005, 11:23 AM
But did you guys know that the Edirol MA-10D's freq response is from 45Hz to 35kHz -2db that's more wider response than the S26 and plus the it's only -2db on the Edirol ones. The S26 is from 48hz to 20kHz -3db see the difference?

Mr. Widget
11-08-2005, 11:31 AM
But did you guys know that the Edirol MA-10D's freq response is from 45Hz to 35kHz -2db .... It REALLY doesn't matter... trust me. Have you heard this speaker? If you have heard it and like it more then it is better... you really, really, really, can not use a figure like that or a dispersion figure to determine if a speaker is suitable.

Widget

Velociraptor84
11-08-2005, 11:41 AM
Yes I have heard all the 4 speaker I talked about since I own them all. But I can say the only speakers that are studio monitors or that are close to one is my JBL Control 1X and the Edirol MA-10D. I know that the Edirol MA-10D are really studio monitors since they are in the pro audio section on web sites that sell pro audio stuff. But I wanted to know if you guys think that my Edirol ones are better since they are studio monitors. I guess the Control 1X is close too since they did came from Pro JBL.

boputnam
11-08-2005, 11:41 AM
Ignore the hype... You might make it easier for forumites to opine if you help us know your application.

Is this HT, live sound, studio engineering, or in la ducha...? For the latter, I have a pair of Control One's mounted high in the steam... :applaud:

Mr. Widget
11-08-2005, 11:50 AM
Since you have them all, you would be in the best position to tell us which is better. Which do you enjoy listening to the most? That is really all that matters.

On your specification quest you should realize that none of those speakers can reproduce 45Hz at anything approaching a realistic level. What they do at 1 watt or less isn't the same as how they will perform at higher power levels. Once the voicecoil heats up the response will change dramatically. That said... just listen to the speakers to the type of music you like, at the levels you like and decide what you like and enjoy it.

Widget

louped garouv
11-08-2005, 11:50 AM
Yes I have heard all the 4 speaker I talked about since I own them all.

then what does any of this all mean, you've already got them all.....

hook them up to a speaker switcher and swap through them all to your heart's content... then decide which speaker that you like the best....

I like my A7s, think they are optimal for music playback in my basement.... :D

:dj-party:

Mr. Widget
11-08-2005, 11:52 AM
You might make it easier for forumites to opine if you help us know your application.

Which speakers is best for just music listening?

I would infer stereo playback in a bedroom or other small room.

WIdget

Lancer
11-08-2005, 12:03 PM
Playa...

:dj-party:

morbo!
11-08-2005, 02:16 PM
whats with these super high frequency systems?
are they just to annoy that dog
because the highest frequency human can hear is 20khz.
but cause im old and damaged 16k is the best i do atm and falling!:(

Zilch
11-08-2005, 03:43 PM
Largely specsmanship, it is alleged that, even though we are effectively deaf to it, we can somehow otherwise perceive the UHF, enhancing the sonic experience.

Perhaps through our eyeballs. :p

I found my recent reading of the new JBL Pro theater sound publication illuminating on this subject:

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/cinema/cinedsgn.pdf

Velociraptor84
11-08-2005, 07:10 PM
I did listen to the JBL S26 alot but I did notice that it has lots of bass and because of that I can't hear lots of the mids or lots of the highs. I didn't like how it sounded so I put the S26 away and got back the Edirol MA-10D since those I was able to hear everything on my recording unlike the S26.

scott fitlin
11-08-2005, 07:37 PM
I did listen to the JBL S26 alot but I did notice that it has lots of bass and because of that I can't hear lots of the mids or lots of the highs. I didn't like how it sounded so I put the S26 away and got back the Edirol MA-10D since those I was able to hear everything on my recording unlike the S26.What sounds good is a very subjective thing! One guy loves a certain speaker for its sound, another absolutely hates for the exact same thing the other guy loves about it!

The only important factor in whats the best speaker is what YOU like! So, you like the Edirol, then use them and enjoy!

Their really is no right and wrong! Ive heard extremely expensive state of the art speakers that I didnt love, and other speakers that didnt cost as much that I did like very much! There have also been experiences with speakers that I absolutely thought were incredible, and so was the price, and they are in my dreams, but not my possesion!

:D

Zilch
11-08-2005, 07:38 PM
To reduce the bass, keep them away from room corners and out from the wall.

The further out you move 'em, the less bass they will project....

Velociraptor84
11-09-2005, 09:01 AM
This is how I have the Edirol's set up now.

Velociraptor84
11-09-2005, 09:03 AM
This is when I had my JBL S26 set up in my room.

Lancer
11-09-2005, 09:21 AM
Oh hell, this is a no brainer. The Edirol's look better so they are better. Sound is completely subjective and changes with the weather while your eysesight is slightly more reliable from moment to moment. Your ears are affected by snot and mucous and water and barometric pressure and all that garbage so don't use them to decide on a pair of loudspeakers. Use your eyes dude. Yeah, yeah, I know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder... so poke that beholder bastard's eyes out and go with what looks best - the Edirol's...

Velociraptor84
11-09-2005, 09:42 AM
This is my room.

Titanium Dome
11-09-2005, 10:56 AM
Is that a cat on the bed?

Mr. Widget
11-09-2005, 11:15 AM
Hey raptor,

Despite the great wisdom and knowledge that is often posted by Lancer, sometimes it's best not to take him too seriously... he is, well just a bit funny at times.:D

Looking at your setup, I'd recommend getting which ever pair of speakers you use out into the room and on stands. You want to create an equilateral triangle so you probably want to separate your speakers a bit. If placing them in the room is a problem perhaps you can use the stands only while listening and keep the speakers in their present location when you aren't really listening. You should be able to make your own stands with lumber or even with plumbing materials using pipes and flanges.

Widget

Lancer
11-09-2005, 11:29 AM
Hey raptor,

Despite the great wisdom and knowledge that is often posted by Lancer, sometimes it's best not to take him too seriously... he is, well just a bit funny at times.:DDamn! Time for my meds... :banghead:

Thanks Widget! :applaud:

spkrman57
11-09-2005, 11:37 AM
That is the reason I look forward to Lancer's posts!

I'd hate to see him too serious:blink:

Ron

Ian Mackenzie
11-09-2005, 12:09 PM
Oh hell, this is a no brainer. The Edirol's look better so they are better. Sound is completely subjective and changes with the weather while your eysesight is slightly more reliable from moment to moment. Your ears are affected by snot and mucous and water and barometric pressure and all that garbage so don't use them to decide on a pair of loudspeakers. Use your eyes dude. Yeah, yeah, I know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder... so poke that beholder bastard's eyes out and go with what looks best - the Edirol's...

Your forgot........ the brain...is slightly more reliable from moment to moment!:rotfl:

Otherwise you got my vote!

Velociraptor84
11-09-2005, 03:15 PM
So is the way I have my speakers set up make the bass boomy? Anyways would the JBL Control 1X be better since its a studio monitor too? Or do you guys think the Edirol ones would be better? Does the Control 1X sound the same as the orginal Control 1's? Since I only see the differnce on the two is one has titanium tweeters and one doesn't.

louped garouv
11-09-2005, 03:30 PM
referred to as "corner loading" your speakers...

excerpt taken from..... (and applicable for more than just subs)
http://www.bryston.ca/newsletters/32_files/vol3is2.html
The theory goes like this. You have a specific room size and the room boundaries (ceiling, floor and walls) cause dips and peaks in the low frequency response based on the dimensions of that particular room. The thing to remember though is that the major room modes are only excited if the subwoofer is placed in one of the corners. The reason is that every room mode is excited if the sub is placed in the corner and also these modes are at their highest amplitude (volume) because of the corner loading. Corner loading provides a 9dB boost due to the 3 surfaces (floor and 2 walls) interacting with the speaker driver. If you placed the woofer anywhere else in the room the dips and peaks are shifted in frequency and volume level relative to their position in the room and the 6 boundaries.

Velociraptor84
11-09-2005, 03:33 PM
Does the Control 1X sound the same as the Control 1's since I did notice that only the difference is that the Control 1X has titanium laminated dome tweeters and the orginal ones has Polycarbonated dome tweeters?

louped garouv
11-09-2005, 03:36 PM
dunno -- never heard those speakers....

but do know that Ti diaphragms sound different than Al ones....

Zilch
11-09-2005, 03:46 PM
Anyways would the JBL Control 1X be better since its a studio monitor too?Ummmm, none of them are studio monitors. They are "Personal" monitors, "Mini" monitors, "Micro" monitors, "Control" monitors. Itza name wank yer doin'.

Read up here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4408

Mr. Widget
11-09-2005, 04:14 PM
So is the way I have my speakers set up make the bass boomy?Doubtful.

Anyways would the JBL Control 1X be better since its a studio monitor too? Or do you guys think the Edirol ones would be better?I think we've done a couple of laps on this one already...

Widget

Velociraptor84
11-10-2005, 05:16 AM
What's the difference between personal monitors and studio monitors?

Velociraptor84
11-10-2005, 05:17 AM
What's the difference between micro monitors and studio monitors?

Velociraptor84
11-10-2005, 05:18 AM
I am asking this since my Edirol's say that it's a micro monitor and my JBL Control 1X says it's a personal monitor.

Lancer
11-10-2005, 05:21 AM
Who cares?

Don't get caught up in the Marketing game.
Zilch summed it up for you -

Itza name wank yer doin'.

Maron Horonzakz
11-10-2005, 06:05 AM
The Control monitors are nothing but match box toys. Compaired to the big boys. I can piss louder than those dwarfs.:biting: :biting: :biting: :biting: :biting: :biting: :biting:

Lancer
11-10-2005, 07:13 AM
Now that's the kind of talk I like to hear! :applaud:
None of this mealy mouthed faggoty "personal monitor" or "micro monitor" bullshit. :p

spkrman57
11-10-2005, 07:35 AM
It's funny to note that the cheaper the goods, the more exotic the naming conventions.

Until you get to the real deal, they are all just toys!

Ron

Lancer
11-10-2005, 08:22 AM
It's funny to note that the cheaper the goods, the more exotic the naming conventions.How true!
If I know one thing for sure it's that I'd make a real lousy Marketing person.

Zilch
11-10-2005, 10:11 AM
The criteria for qualification as a "Studio Monitor" in JBL parlance are outlined in the article I linked you to above.

JBL's "Control Monitors" have a forward voicing (think L100) and do not qualify.

JBL's "Control Series" includes models which do not even qualify as Control Monitors, presumably, tho there are some nice systems there.

If you want inexpensive entree to the REAL thing, look to the JBL 4400 series, available reasonably on eBay virtually all of the time.

[4200's ain't a bad start, either, if you want "style"....]

rockecat
11-10-2005, 10:47 AM
When I bought my first set of JBL's they provided a album called Session's to help you with your decision, we actually used it recently as we were curiose as to the frequency of a tone we could now here. I was able to hear 15kHz and my wife 14kHz not to bad for the old folk's. :applaud:

Don McRitchie
11-11-2005, 12:57 AM
Some background for you to consider. The Control 1 series was never designed as a studio monitor. It was commissioned by JBL International, the same JBL group responsible for the Everest and K2 series, specifically for the Japanese consumer market. Like all of the speakers that JBL designed for Japan, it has a tailored frequency response that appeals to that market. In other words, it was never designed to be a neutral monitor. I have never heard of Edirol, but a quick scan of the net indicated that they are pretty much a glorified PC speaker. It has nowhere near the output, bandwidth (nor would I wager accuracy) to be considered a serious monitor for professional use. That doesn't mean that its a bad speaker. If you like the sound, that's all that matters. However, if you are looking for a tool for serious audio work, I would look elsewhere (start with the LSR6325P). More background on monitors and what they do can be found here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3747

Velociraptor84
11-11-2005, 09:11 AM
Well if you say that the Control 1's I have weren't made for studio monitors then what's this? According to the specs and details they say thay are made for studio monitoring and for other use too meaning not just for studio monitoring.

I attached the file of the spec sheet and details.

I know that my Edirol MA-10D's only go to 20 Watts but it does have impressive Frequency response: 45 Hz to 35 kHz.

JuniorJBL
11-11-2005, 09:16 AM
JBL LSR 25p's with a le14h-1 for a sub for my computer.

I do wish I had lsr28's tho!

Velociraptor84
11-11-2005, 09:21 AM
I know that the Edirol monitors are more made for desktop production but they are micro studio monitors you know since they do play very flat and clear. You will be supprised about how clear and precise the Edirol's sound. :)

Lancer
11-11-2005, 09:29 AM
Isn't there an Edirol forum somewhere?

rockecat
11-11-2005, 09:42 AM
I just don't get it this had been beat to death on several forum's

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=14426

spkrman57
11-11-2005, 09:42 AM
I know that the Edirol monitors are more made for desktop production but they are micro studio monitors you know since they do play very flat and clear. You will be supprised about how clear and precise the Edirol's sound. :)

Headphones are very clear and precise also, but if you want "Studio Monitors" then you are dealing with much larger and more precise systems than the ones you have listed here.

I have a hard time considering "micro studio monitors" as "Studio Monitors" anymore than I consider Bose 901's for the same purpose.

They may be neat to listen to and all, but not in the same category!

How about just enjoying your "mini-speakers" for what they are and don't try and put a label on them!

Ron

louped garouv
11-11-2005, 09:47 AM
How about just enjoying your "mini-speakers" for what they are and don't try and put a label on them!

Ron

how's that for some.....

"sound advice"

har har har

:wasnt-me:

Zilch
11-11-2005, 12:06 PM
Well if you say that the Control 1's I have weren't made for studio monitors then what's this? According to the specs and details they say thay are made for studio monitoring and for other use too meaning not just for studio monitoring.The spec sheet is VERY clear that they are not studio monitors, rather, they provide "control monitor performance," meaning that they are not even real Control Monitors, by JBL standards.

All it says is that they can be used in studios. They can also be used in water closets....

edgewound
11-11-2005, 12:14 PM
Isn't there an Edirol forum somewhere?

Take Lancer's advice....take your Edirol's to the Edirol room. Maybe there you can decide who you are. And while you're at it, learn how to spell.

Michael Smith
11-11-2005, 07:46 PM
WGAF anyway, I 've seen this crap on other forums.
Go try the Lego Forum
Michael