PDA

View Full Version : JBL L46 project speakers

bigyank
11-07-2005, 05:55 PM
I have decided on my first pair of speakers to be these:

http://home.comcast.net/~jklorenzon/jbl.html

The 8 woofers need surrounds at the very least. I figure I might as well start small. They make some sound and the tweeters sound fine. Should I try surrounds or a recone? They sounded a little scratchy when I lightly pushed in on the cones.

Cabinetry is in prime shpae with only 1 light scratch and the grills need new cloth (though only 1 whole) and the badges are intact:D .

Any guidance here is greatly appreciated!

Yank

soundmotor
11-07-2005, 07:13 PM
I have decided on my first pair of speakers to be these:

http://home.comcast.net/~jklorenzon/jbl.html

The 8 woofers need surrounds at the very least. I figure I might as well start small. They make some sound and the tweeters sound fine. Should I try surrounds or a recone? They sounded a little scratchy when I lightly pushed in on the cones.

Cabinetry is in prime shpae with only 1 light scratch and the grills need new cloth (though only 1 whole) and the badges are intact:D .

Any guidance here is greatly appreciated!

Yank

With the surrounds shot, there is nothing other than the spider centering the voice-coil in the gap of the magnet. Therefore, the voice-coil former will scrape on the pole/top plate of the magnet when you press on the cone. It isn't likely that they need reconing, only new surrounds to be in ready to go condition. With the new surrounds correctly in place, the suspension geometry will be restored and the voice-coil will be able to move freely without contact.

Great score too!

bigyank
11-07-2005, 07:50 PM
Thanks! I am excited, wife looks at me :blink: and thinks I am nits. I got these for 13.50 each! Anyone have a preferred supplier of surrounds for these? The woofers are 117H-1's are there "proper" kits for these I can get? Also grill cloth as well:D

Yank

bigyank
11-07-2005, 08:38 PM
As I look through the forum here and infamous google, I see kits for 116A's for example but not the 117h-1's , are these close enough to work? New woofers are still available from JBL for over 148.00 each but that ain't gonna happen!:D

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=260-920

I was going to order these from Parts Express if someone can educate me on determining the measurement for surrounds, if that is required!

Yank

soundmotor
11-08-2005, 09:48 AM
As I look through the forum here and infamous google, I see kits for 116A's for example but not the 117h-1's , are these close enough to work? New woofers are still available from JBL for over 148.00 each but that ain't gonna happen!:D

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=260-920

I was going to order these from Parts Express if someone can educate me on determining the measurement for surrounds, if that is required!

Yank

The vendor recommended to me here (although I have not purchased from him yet) is looneytune2001 on eBay. I would drop him a line on that. No reason to buy new woofers just yet. This thread is also worth the time to read -

Resurrounding: Step by Step (http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=469)

duaneage
11-08-2005, 04:30 PM
I have a pair of those 034 tweeters if you need a set.

transducergeek
11-08-2005, 11:18 PM
I sent a PM, no response yet, but if you need the 8" surrounds for this project, with a bottle of adhesive and application brush, I am able to fill the order. The set=$10/pair. Thanks, Rolf E.

bigyank
11-09-2005, 06:15 PM
Actually, I did respond:D .....I was also looking to an Ebay user referred from members here as well. I will get back to you by weeks end!

Yank

duaneage
11-09-2005, 09:36 PM
I have a signal generator if you need it for aligning the driver.

bigyank
11-10-2005, 08:22 AM
I was hoping for self alignment:D.

I have the page book marked here for surround replacement and I was going to follow that to the letter, we shall see. I will keep your generous offer in mind though!

Thanks!
Yank

bigyank
11-10-2005, 05:38 PM
I am ordering the kit from transducergeek tomorrow. Thank you sir and I am excited about getting these going. I will post pics of my progress:D once the kits are received. Out of town Mod-Wed so hopefully I get these in time for the following weekend!

I know I am jumping the gun but I want some blue cloth for these! I think this color will offset nicely to the what I think are black walnut (am I correct?) veneer which is going to get the treatment as well!

Gotta love vintage stuff! Oh, these are ultimately driven by a Sansui AU-G99X 160 watt/ch integrated in the family room!

:rockon2:

Yank

rockecat
11-10-2005, 06:04 PM
The L46 is a very good loudspeaker, I bought some not to long ago. I have been playing with the placement especially since I am using two sets of speakers, The 46's seem to sound better above my 50's and forward I have tried several different scenerios and probably have not found the sweet spot yet. The 46 tweeters seem to overwhelm the the 50's when in close proximity.

bigyank
11-10-2005, 06:12 PM
Can I assume they are on stands? If so how high? I am looking at stands as well!

Yank

Zilch
11-10-2005, 06:29 PM
I know I am jumping the gun but I want some blue cloth for these! I think this color will offset nicely to the what I think are black walnut (am I correct?) veneer which is going to get the treatment as well!JBL Monitor Blue grille cloth goes perfectly on just about any vintage JBL speaker.

[One, two, YOU know what to do.... :p ]

rockecat
11-10-2005, 06:40 PM
They are now ,I basically used everthing in the house that I could think of to place them at different levels. As of now the 46's are at 17'' inches high at the base and the 50's are at 8'' I have the 50's two feet back and apart angled at about 20 degrees in. so far this is the best position but I think the 50's need to go out more but I only have so much room. If you are just using the 46's they sound very good by themselves at 17''.

bigyank
11-12-2005, 06:31 AM
So now we wait:D Where can one find JBL Monitor Blue grille cloth anyway?

Yank

bigyank
11-21-2005, 05:17 PM
:)

Funny thing, I took the first woofer out and looked inside the cabinet and guess what, I found the JBL badge, including the washer and clip, from the other speaker inside! Funny!

Anyway, I will take some pics and post them but I have cleaned off the work bench, brought out the lazy susan and will start the process tonight!

Thanks to all!
Yank

porschedpm
11-21-2005, 07:34 PM
For the JBL Blue cloth, send Zilch a PM. He might still have some left. Sweet talk him about his Quick and Dirties and he might sell you some.

Zilch
11-21-2005, 08:23 PM
:)

Plenty JBL Blue available, yup....

bigyank
11-22-2005, 07:09 PM
PM sent. I hope these turn out. The surrounds of the first one are in progress and when I gently push in on the cone, there is no scraping at all:applaud:

Yank

bigyank
11-22-2005, 07:22 PM
Upon REAL close view of this driver under bright light, there is a slight tarnish on the diaphram. Can an attempt at cleaning be performed? It works so should I leave well enough alone? I did find replacement diaphrams at:

http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=10-267&Category_Code=

JBL Diaphragm D8R034
A bit pricey I think for a repair for speakers that cose me $11.00 each :blink:

Yank

Lightbearer
12-16-2005, 03:53 AM
I have a pair of those and earlyer I was very happy with them.. But now both of the woofers donīt seem to be working. I got them measured and they are totally dead. They seem to be in good condition, not torned or anything. If I have to replace the woofers do you guys know where one can get a pair of them or how to have them fixed...I actually donīt want to throw them away as they are excellent mixer monitors,neutral and precise..

jay
12-16-2005, 10:27 AM
Sorry, I don't have any extra woofers. It's mighty rare for two woofers to die at the same time, so are you certain that they're dead?

Actually I was thinking about to putting my own L46's on eBay this weekend, but can't find shipping box(s) suitable for the job just yet.

They are presentable, sound great and all that, but the cabinets have their share of lumps and bumps. If you have nice cabinets that you want to save, there might be the makings of a deal here. :p

Zilch
12-16-2005, 10:54 AM
http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Technical%20Sheet/L46%20Sigma%20ts.pdf

Lightbearer
12-17-2005, 07:33 PM
Sorry, I don't have any extra woofers. It's mighty rare for two woofers to die at the same time, so are you certain that they're dead?

Actually I was thinking about to putting my own L46's on eBay this weekend, but can't find shipping box(s) suitable for the job just yet.

They are presentable, sound great and all that, but the cabinets have their share of lumps and bumps. If you have nice cabinets that you want to save, there might be the makings of a deal here. :p

Totally .. how much you want for them..

jay
12-18-2005, 11:05 PM
Lightbearer,

I was going to put my L46's up for $75 plus shipping boxes and shipping.

If you want them, you can have them for that, and I'll eat the cost for the boxes, or if you want just the woofers and tweeters or whatever, I'll even throw in the shipping.

There are a couple of ways to go, so it's your choice.

If you'd like to continue the conversation, perhaps it'd be better to do so via PM's or direct e-mail, so feel free to do that.

BTW, there are also a couple of pairs of 46's on eBay from the east coast that look good. I'm on the west coast, so I'd recommend going for whichever is closer to minimize shipping expenses and works out to be the best deal.

Whatever you decide, good luck with the project!!

Jay

bigyank
02-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Jay if you still have these available, PM me please! I have just found one woofer dead!

Yank

bigyank
04-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Okay so I have been running these in my family room for a while and like them a lot. I found another pair of 117H's (1983 vintage) that work but need new surrounds, I just got them delivered from Canada today!:applaud:

Both work ( I learned to test them PRIOR to adding surrounds!) so now I put have to put a new surround on ( I have 1 more). This will leave me with 2 extra woofers (one 1982 and one the "correct" (for me anyway) 1983 era) and 1 tweeter.

Unless I fry the crossovers, I am good to go for a while. Thanks to everyone who chimed in here and helped me realize my dream!:D

Yank