PDA

View Full Version : Original L100 grilles?

wpod
11-07-2005, 11:31 AM
Greetings- I bought a pair of early edition L100 from a gentleman north of me in New Hamshire and he delivered them on Saturday.The amazing thing is that the foam grilles are intact and nowhere near decomposing. I have a feeling that these may not be original JBL foam, so I included a picture for the experts ( Son of a Gun?) to look at. I really don't care if they are original or not, but if they are, how would they have survived this long without deteriorating? ( and how would I keep them this way)? The speakers are to be a Christmas present for my nephew. Thanks very much, wpod

Zilch
11-07-2005, 11:36 AM
A similar, but not exactly correct, foam grille was offered for many years by Radio Shack.

Looks like I threw them out when Sonofagun's grilles arrived here....

wpod
11-07-2005, 11:38 AM

Titanium Dome
11-07-2005, 12:17 PM
They're the Radio Shack replacements mentioned by Zilch. They seem to last a long time, which is good but also bad.

As long as mine hold up well, I'm slow to order replacements that look more like the originals.

Zilch
11-08-2005, 12:53 PM
Found 'em:

sonofagun
11-10-2005, 05:06 PM
wpod -

You got me curious - please post another picture showing the entire speaker with grille.

dancing-dave
11-10-2005, 05:19 PM
Zilch; what's the story on the Radio Shack grilles?

Zilch
11-10-2005, 06:21 PM
Zilch; what's the story on the Radio Shack grilles?They discontinued them about 5 years ago.

It's how we handled the problem for 15 years prior to that.

They had to be trimmed to fit; never quite right.

Now, we just go to Sonofagun.... :p

majick47
11-10-2005, 07:07 PM
Dancing Dave and wpod I'll second Zilch re Sonofaguns foam grills that they are far superior to the Radio Shack grills. Made my L200b look 100% better and will do wonders for your L100.

Rusnzha
11-10-2005, 10:15 PM
I'll drink to that!:cheers: :deal::deal::deal::deal:

sonofagun
11-11-2005, 07:27 AM
Looks like after this weekend the thermometers around here will be doing a real nose dive! :biting:

I got a line of customers for grilles as long as...

Need a WARM :applaud: place to work in!!!!!

So what the flaming ____! DO I DO!!!!!!!!!! :banghead: HUH?

You tell me!

Seriously,

I think I'm caught in the old business "catch 22":

- great product;

- customers (many) waiting; - I had to refund a customers prepaid order yesterday he'd been waiting almost 2 months for!!!!!:banghead:

I'm not (can't be) taking anybody elses $$ up front b4 I have grilles made!

Oh, and I just tried at length to get a manufacturer with a million dollar computer driven machine to make these, but all they can make are grilles not up to my QUALITY standards...not as good as I make with the crude methods and tools I've developed (haven't had any $ to invest in equipment!)!

- no capital ($$$);

- no facilities; no help (oh, lots of VERBAL support here :rolleyes: )

Any venture capitalists out there (or anyone who can put me in touch, h_ll...GET ME ONE!)? A SBA LOAN OR GRANT?

Seriously, how about some serious investors????* I got foam on order (price just took a HUGE jump!) - now, how'm I gonna pay for it?? Where can I store it - pisses you off...all the talk about "bringing jobs to the area", but people like me go begging!!!

* If anyone does, they'll get a great deal...and make some $$$ too...OF COURSE!

You know, if I was to drop over today or tomorrow (just turned 60!), how I make these grilles (all the special tools and techniques) would be lost!

Although I'm thinking of making a video tape (oh, I need a camera for that???) Any videographers out there?

Anybody with a SHOP, or shop space, or empty warehouse, or ???... as long as it's WARM??? Wish i knew somebody with a business generating EXCESS HEAT in a building (like a foundry or such like). Would be perfect... I'd help exhaust the excess heat outside due to the venting process needed in making these grilles. Even have thought of building a greenhouse. How about thermal vent heat...hmmm? Ideas anyone?

Here I go, venting again, huh. :blink:

VENT ALERT! VENT ALERT!

Don't mean to "offend" anyone but...

:banghead:

P.S. Zilch - Is the foam of those RS grilles still good or is it (has it) deteriorated? Try poking it. ;)

Zilch
11-11-2005, 12:50 PM
P.S. Zilch - Is the foam of those RS grilles still good or is it (has it) deteriorated? Try poking it. ;)Still good, but they in their original plastic wrap, and have not been exposed to UV....

Rusnzha
11-11-2005, 03:41 PM
Anybody with a SHOP, or shop space, or empty warehouse, or ???... as long as it's WARM???

Would a one car garage in Wichita KS do you any good?

sonofagun
11-11-2005, 09:02 PM
Probably not - I'm applying all the best problem solving thinking I can to the problem - will let anyone who's interested know.

Zilch - I'd still like to examine those grilles - even open a package a bit - then you can sell them on the Bay or whatever. Sup 2 U.

Zilch
11-11-2005, 10:37 PM
Zilch - I'd still like to examine those grilles - even open a package a bit - then you can sell them on the Bay or whatever. Sup 2 U.Heh, heh.

Lemme see what I've got around here what could use a nice new pair of Sonofagun grilles.... ;)

sonofagun
11-14-2005, 09:07 AM
No, seriously, Zilch, I'm curious as to whether these grilles have deteriorated - may not be due to UV exposure - may just be aging. Can/will you check them and let me know?

morbo!
11-14-2005, 09:18 AM
sonofa

teach
impart
your knowledge on us

Us aussies are pretty resorceful and its always hot here especially when its cold their.
With more room than you could imagine i could lay out enough grills in my yard to keep yor going for a month
would add to the cost all that shipping
but everything is shipped anyway!

come up with an arrangement you like!

morbo!

majick47
11-14-2005, 09:14 PM
Sonogfagun I'm in MA, not much gets done outside around here due to the cold till May. This might sound far out but would a temporary structure (tent) with a heater blowing in warm air work? Something similar to what is seen at construction sights in the winter. Maybe a LH member that works in the building trades could advise as tovwhat equipment is available. I want to see you back in buisness, I'll be needing another set of foam grills for my second pair of L200b.

morbo!
11-14-2005, 11:59 PM
or seriously
pack up and head down perfect fur you!
cheap rent!
plenty of empty shops in my dying town
around here anyways 800$au per month
maybe 6 months free rent
if u need a shop
maybe cheaper if you live out a bit
and you probally wouldn`t need a seperate shop out here !all in one property!
and earning yankee bucks of the net and spending au$ here
you would live like a king!

p.s move near me

sonofagun
11-15-2005, 12:34 AM
Sounds nice but for the cost of me moving to Aussie land, I could buy all the propane (gas) I need up here with some left over (?) I'd think.

I'll keep trying to find a solution. :banghead:

2:30 a.m. ; fighting a lousy cold; drinking screwdrivers (only cure that works!) - poop! :biting:

30+ years in the speaker business and this is what its come to?